Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile Devs Take You On a Walk Down Memory Lane - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePath of Exile Devs Take You On a Walk Down Memory Lane - MMORPG.com

It's been nearly eight years since Path of Exile went into closed beta testing. Since the week is slow due to the holidays, Grinding Gear devs have put up a cool article that is very much a walk down Memory Lane. In a series of videos with developer commentary, viewers can get a look at the game along various points in its development starting with a gameplay clip that shows combat during 2011's closed beta test.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    memory lane for POE for me was, these ##$#@$ was not giving out any beta, event i sign up for very long, always check on the forum , post wanted key, but never receive the key and most of peoples also, BUT when blizzard announce Diablo 3, POE send out massively beta invite lol. til this day, i still dont want play this game.
    Hariken

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited December 2018
    POE is so over-hyped. Not saying its a bad game but I'M so sick and tired of all the praise it gets from sites like this and fanboys. I played it and found it just so so. I really think it gets all the hype because its online. If it wasn't online it would be a so so game. And not a fan of what the devs decide to do to your character starting at act 5 or 6. They pretty much flush all the hard work you did to gear your character down the toilet.
    kertin
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Hariken said:
    POE is so over-hyped. Not saying its a bad game but I'M so sick and tired of all the praise it gets from sites like this and fanboys. I played it and found it just so so. I really think it gets all the hype because its online. If it wasn't online it would be a so so game. And not a fan of what the devs decide to do to your character starting at act 5 or 6. They pretty much flush all the hard work you did to gear your character down the toilet.
    Do you mind sharing some of your favourite games? Just interested in hearing what someone with an opinion like that plays.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Poe is just bland and boring once you digged deep enough into the game. You either have cheap cookie cutter builds or these expensive builds wich only streamers have who can also only afford because 20 guys backim them up. those addons addedto the game just dont feel innovative or fresh., ForFme it feelsflike imiplaying reskins.And the camera is a bit to near for a arpg. The whole system of starting fresh in every e is season is so tedious and comes from whaling and rolling new servers like those cheap chinese games.
    Hariken
  • BarrnBarrn Member UncommonPosts: 5

exile01 said:

Poe is just bland and boring once you digged deep enough into the game. You either have cheap cookie cutter builds or these expensive builds wich only streamers have who can also only afford because 20 guys backim them up. those addons addedto the game just dont feel innovative or fresh., ForFme it feelsflike imiplaying reskins.And the camera is a bit to near for a arpg. The whole system of starting fresh in every e is season is so tedious and comes from whaling and rolling new servers like those cheap chinese games.

^^Cant do maps.
    Nildenexile01
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited December 2018
    Barrn said:

exile01 said:

^^Cant do maps.
    My thoughts precisely. Mapping is the true test of your builds. 
    Nildencheyane

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Although there is valid arguments to it being better than Diablo or as good as it is still 100% a copy of Blizzard's work and should NOT be given too much credit for anything.If you want to make a game and call it a ARPG go right ahead but create YOUR own design without copying the exact same ideals because NOBODY has a definitive definition of what an ARPG is suppose to be.
    SO get your own game design,then we an talk about POE.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Although there is valid arguments to it being better than Diablo or as good as it is still 100% a copy of Blizzard's work and should NOT be given too much credit for anything.If you want to make a game and call it a ARPG go right ahead but create YOUR own design without copying the exact same ideals because NOBODY has a definitive definition of what an ARPG is suppose to be.
    SO get your own game design,then we an talk about POE.
    How can you even say copy of Diablo? It's fantastic and diverse tree and socketting system is brilliant and nothing like Diablo.
    Nildencheyane

• SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Wow, this article sure brought out some really upset Diablo fanboys.

First off, Path of Exile didn't 100% copy anything. It's a video game. It took ideas and concepts from other games and made them better. Some of the most important gameplay mechanics in PoE are original concepts and have absolutely nothing to do with Diablo. ARPGs with random loot are not Diablo clones.

Secondly, you don't have to start a new character every season. That's optional and for the people who enjoy creating new characters to try out new game mechanics and builds. It also doesn't promote "whales" like those "cheap Chinese games". I think you just tried to call PoE P2W, and that might be some of the dumbest stuff I've read all day. Good luck being that stupid. Since you can't buy any form of boost in PoE.

And finally, if you can't handle the difficulty of the game it isn't for you. PoE wasn't made to hold your hand and coddle you until you're a big strong boy. It's a hard game with a difficult skill ceiling. Stop whining and learn how to play, or don't play. The game is difficult because the fans of the genre love the challenge.

Keep whining ya'll.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    exile01 said:
    This is so true.
    There was a guy from Europe a few years back that exposed how these elite streamers were doing these builds and he got raked over the fire for it. Have you noticed how all these guys with these channels never take damage or lose much mana? The so-called "complex" game is not "complex" at all if you just spend real money and follow the cookie cutter builds. And that's what all the fanboys of the game do. Don't break the formula and make your build the same as everyone else.  
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    If you don't want to play a dungeon crawler on your phone, this is probably where you'll end up :disappointed:

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    It would be refreshing to hear someone disliking the game based on a logical and informed opinion, instead of these rants that don't make any sense. It's ok to not like a game guys but if you didn't play it long enough to be able to make sense when writing about it, why are you even bothering writing these posts about the game? It's obviously not a game for you.

I would recommend a game that's easier to understand for you, the complexity is clearly too much to handle in this one.
  • supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Hariken said:

exile01 said:

This is so true.
    There was a guy from Europe a few years back that exposed how these elite streamers were doing these builds and he got raked over the fire for it. Have you noticed how all these guys with these channels never take damage or lose much mana? The so-called "complex" game is not "complex" at all if you just spend real money and follow the cookie cutter builds. And that's what all the fanboys of the game do. Don't break the formula and make your build the same as everyone else.  

ok, what's this?, all this misinformation and lack of knowledge about the topic... it's hard for me to believe that you aren't trolling.
  • lingceapucklingceapuck Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited December 2018
    8 years of new content and what remains the same is 4 inventory pages in the stash.By level 75 you will realise what this means...The harcore part is playing without paying for aditional stash tabs
    8 years of new content and what remains the same is 4 inventory pages in the stash.By level 75 you will realise what this means...The harcore part is playing without paying for aditional stash tabs
    Why would someone who plays  for that long not have the decency to throw some cash at the game for stash tabs. So they force you to get stash tabs on a f2p game my god the greed  :p

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    And I thought saltiness of Diablo fanboys is finally over, now I'm here and oh boi how wrong I am!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    supx2 said:

Hariken said:

exile01 said:

This is so true.

ok, what's this?, all this misinformation and lack of knowledge about the topic... it's hard for me to believe that you aren't trolling.
    Welcome to the boards!

And how about we all make it a New Year's resolution to keep calm and post. :)
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Barrn said:

exile01 said:

^^Cant do maps.

Because doing those maps every season is soooo fun and soooo innovative. Adding a bunch of new mobs that add more usless items to your inventory so are forced to get  stashs is also very innovative- chinese crap.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    exile01 said:
    Barrn said:

exile01 said:

^^Cant do maps.

Because doing those maps every season is soooo fun and soooo innovative. Adding a bunch of new mobs that add more usless items to your inventory so are forced to get  stashs is also very innovative- chinese crap.
    What is the "chinese crap" you're complaining about? I'm not very familiar. 

As for whether it is expensive to play, I merely look at it's main competitor, Diablo. How much does it cost to play that game and how's that value compared to, lets say, all items stashes combined cost.
  • xonedlxonedl Member UncommonPosts: 25
    ok guys, I suggest you not to scroll through the sea of salts of the comment section. It appear many Diablo fans are having problem with games that are far more difficult for them to handle...
  • skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

exile01 said:

Barrn said:

exile01 said:

^^Cant do maps.

Its actually the most diverse, abundant , and unique endgame content you can find in any arpg ever made. I guess you haven't played much d2, where you farmed the same act bosses over and over. In poe there are 100 + different maps with different layouts and bosses. Not only that but you can further customise the map's difficulty and lvl wirh various methods . As for the stash issues its true that you have to spent 20-30€ to enjoy the game at its fullest, which is nothing compared to the 60€ you have to pay for so many crap games Out there.