Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision-Blizzard CFO Fired for 'Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting' - MMORPG.

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SBFord said:

Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

CFO = Chief Financial Officer

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."

Sooooo.... if he was fired "for cause unrelated to the Company's financial reporting or disclosure controls and procedures" which would mean not for his actual job performance, I'm going out on a limb and say he was fired for workplace harassment and/or grabassin.

Or, he could have been habitually late for work. Mundane stuff still leads to firings.
    We can surmise that the first stories about AB placing him on administrative leave and/or firing him and/or him challenging the firing and/or AB paying a compensation package ..... 

were the result of the later stories - about Netflix hiring / poaching him.
    Phry
  • RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Maybe they'll promote Salzman.....best case scenario:)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    gervaise1 said:

SBFord said:

Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."

Sooooo.... if he was fired "for cause unrelated to the Company's financial reporting or disclosure controls and procedures" which would mean not for his actual job performance, I'm going out on a limb and say he was fired for workplace harassment and/or grabassin.

Or, he could have been habitually late for work. Mundane stuff still leads to firings.
    We can surmise that the first stories about AB placing him on administrative leave and/or firing him and/or him challenging the firing and/or AB paying a compensation package ..... 

were the result of the later stories - about Netflix hiring / poaching him.
    Yes, this does seem to all begin with AB finding out that Netflix were about to announce that he was joining them as their CFO. Which probably went as well as you can imagine  :p
    tweedledumb99
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2019
    Where in this four paragraph article does it say he was paid 10 million dollars as severance?  The second paragraph say he received nearly 10 million dollars in compensation during the previous fiscal year.  

Has everyone lost their ability to understand the written word?

gervaise1PhryIselincraftseekertweedledumb99
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited January 2019

So, a possibility: CFO wasn't fired, was poached, then ActiBlizz says they were planning on firing former CFO to drag name through mud. Because they are fucks.

Edit: others covered it above.
    Post edited by tweedledumb99 on
    Gdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    You can't quit! You'r FIRED!

with pay....

It's just Activision telling him not to let the door hit him on the way out.

tweedledumb99

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Why are people so worked up over this? Am I missing something here..?
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Dang it, I let go of my puts on ATVI a few weeks back. Just when you think a company bottoms...lol

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

$10 million dollar compensation to a single person. I hope these companies go bankrupt so they can understand they would be hugely profitable if those salaries were significantly cut. All this crap happens because the more money the head honchos want to earn the less money the company overall will make.

While I agree with your sentiment, your statement is likely extremely false. They're paying for experience and expertise.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Seeing as we're making stuff up;

I like to imagine he consistently farted around the office and the other executives finally had enough of his negligent flatulence creating a hostile work environment.
    [Deleted User]PhrykjempffTacticalZombehThuplimmolou
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    swaghole said:
    Its about Activision Blizzard which makes it sorta about Blizzard so people are just using this as an excuse to hate on Blizzard.

People want to excuses to hate on Blizzard and they'll take any reason, no matter how small or stupid, they can get.
    swagholeGdemami
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They give that qualification so no one tries to use his termination as proof of some alleged irregularity in their public filings.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Thupli

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2019

d_20 said:

Alverant said:

The guy got $10 million for being fired. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Will the people who lost their jobs because of his bad decisions get a severance package just as good?

It's how the world is. While you were gaming, he was getting his MBA and studying corporate finance at Harvard and networking with alumni. Who knows what kind of connections he was born into, besides? Pretty sure his parents weren't share-croppers.

Yes, an MBA in Finance totally justifies a 10 million dollar bonua for being shitcanned. Im sure it has nothing to do at all with the politics of corrupt corporations and is based entirely upon merit.
    Nobody is justifying anything. It's not the MBA that counts. It's the networks and connections. That's what Harvard is really about. Nobody gives a shit about an MBA. The point is where you got it and who you know, if I have to spell it out.

A lot of people have the extracurriculars, highest GPAs and test scores and don't get into Harvard. When all those requirements are met, it can come down to other factors: are your parents alum? Do they donate to the old alma mater? Who's writing your letters of recommendation and doing your alumni interviews? Do you have a Harvard alum US Senator writing your letter or your principle from your public high school?

I find it funny that we still live in this illusion of an egalitarian society and talk about justification and fairness. 
    [Deleted User]GdemamiPemminThupliArglebargle

• asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    mmorpg a place for middle aged people to feel relevant. 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]d_20mmolou
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Rusque said:
    Poor blizzard , but really they deserve it in 2018
    Doesn't he have a phone? I heard if you have a phone everything is great.

• BlacklabelcaliBlacklabelcali Member UncommonPosts: 24

SBFord said:

Arterius said:

Lol we got a real life internet investigator here
  • swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Gorwe said:
    Xiaoki said:
    swaghole said:
    Its about Activision Blizzard which makes it sorta about Blizzard so people are just using this as an excuse to hate on Blizzard.

People want to excuses to hate on Blizzard and they'll take any reason, no matter how small or stupid, they can get.
    Why hate Blizz though? They are(or rather were until they got in league with Activision) a leading industry name for a bloody good reason.
    Mainly Diablo players lashing out because they have to wait longer for D4
  • CEOIIICEOIII Member UncommonPosts: 26
    So if you hack past all the legalese and the corp speak, they cut the guy loose, but he wasn't embezzling or anything.

Anyone willing to bet he got all handsy with a female subordinate and A-B didn't want a Me Too scandal landing in their lap??
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    When your company is going through a rough time nothing makes more sense then giving a leaving person 10 million dollar....

When you have received 10 million dollars nothing makes more sense then go work for a company that pays even more.....

At that level its just the old boys club rewarding each other and there is no breaking through because they all do it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    This video popped up on my recommended on Youtube a few minutes ago , I haven't watched any of this persons videos before, Then i noticed another video when i was watching this one at the top of my recommended videos on the list on the right.

I only play Heroes Of The Storm now and then, So i don't really follow what goes on with Blizzard at Blizzcon and such, But i might try the classic servers if and when they release them because i missed the whole WOW experience.

Gdemami
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    At least we now know the real cause (planning to defect to Netflix).
    Gdemami
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    ET3D said:
    I really don't think so. Particularly since it was in no way a 'defection', unless I am remarkably clueless Netflix does not in any way compete with Activision/Blizzard. Now some exec may have got miffed, but a quiet negotiated exit and handover would be normal for that change.

Some people have suggested some plausible options, vesting, bonuses, ego, or perhaps the highly speculative 'grabass' or similar. But a simple change of employment isn't it.
    ScotGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited January 2019
    ET3D said:
    I really don't think so. Particularly since it was in no way a 'defection', unless I am remarkably clueless Netflix does not in any way compete with Activision/Blizzard. Now some exec may have got miffed, but a quiet negotiated exit and handover would be normal for that change.

Some people have suggested some plausible options, vesting, bonuses, ego, or perhaps the highly speculative 'grabass' or similar. But a simple change of employment isn't it.
    I doubt there is any sort of defection unless we see Netflix starting up a gaming platform, lets put that out on a limb. But they may make a toe hold in that area, I just can't see a CFO being needed yet.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/23/could-netflix-disrupt-the-gaming-market.aspx

As everyone should know by now the top executives in the top companies of the gaming industry are the same guys who are the top executives in the top companies of nearly every industry, it is a professional musical chairs where becoming a member of the club nets you untold millions. In the UK this started in the nineties I think when boards were allowed to set their own remuneration, without it being passed by shareholders. Since then perfectly reasonable very high salaries have been inflated beyond all recognition of what a director brings to a company.
    Gdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    ET3D said:
    <snip> Netflix does not in any way compete with Activision/Blizzard. <snip>
    i would assume, as others have, that it will have been the person's experience at Disney that wa key.

However as far as Netflix not competing with AB well aside from the obvious "if someone is watching TV they are not playing a game" have you seen ...

the new Black Mirror film? If you haven't the key point is that it is interactive, the viewer has choices to make and as the service has buffered both options the film continues seamlessly.

Now the film is simply one example with a limited number of choices. The early single player adventure games didn't offer much choice however and that changed. Think about what the Witcher game has to offer today ..... 

Yes this approach was tried by a few titles over a decade ago - on DVD but it which was clunky and far from seamless and didn't have a huge audience on demand. The lines are already blurred and they are getting fuzzier. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Thuplicraftseeker
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯