Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision-Blizzard CFO Fired for 'Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting' - MMORPG.

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

ATVI is becoming the newsie's gift that keeps on giving. Interesting stuff all together considering the rocky last few months and what's likely to be a pretty dismal Q4 2018.

Pretty much any video game company that isn't Epic is hurting.

That's what happens when players spent 3 billion on Fortnite in 2018, less spent on other games.

Blizzard needs an influx of sales - or they will be forced to cut staff in 2019.

They pretty much have already cut staff, but just not devs. Over 200 people were laid off as a result of the Heroes life support announcement. They had professional teams being paid on salaries, including managers, pr,ect.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I am not sure how the CFO would be responsible for Diablo Immortal or the HoS missteps? He may of given such decisions a pass but I doubt he did more than oversee the soundness of their financial models.
    BlueThunderBear[Deleted User]gervaise1Thahar
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Netflix hired Spencer :D
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    So the 10 million is probably hush money, the guy is leaving so they pay him to keep quiet about stuff. :o
    Scot said:
    I am not sure how the CFO would be responsible for Diablo Immortal or the HoS missteps? He may of given such decisions a pass but I doubt he did more than oversee the soundness of their financial models.
    The guy apparently worked for Disney for 20 years or so before moving to ActiBlizz, so he is obviously very very good at what he does, that he has been poached by Netflix isn't really all that surprising, but that he would leave ActiBlizz after working there for only 18 months is, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would just up and leave without some pretty good reasons, so i doubt it is just about the money, however, that ActiBlizz are effectively paying him off big time, to me means that the guy has significant information that ActiBlizz want to protect, although ActiBlizz's move to 'sack him' seems more likely to be an effort to discredit him or perhaps save face because of the Netflix thing, either way, i think we're likely to hear something interesting about ActiBlizz from a 'rumoured source' in the near future, i've already put in my order for an extra large box of popcorn! ;)
    ScotThupliThahar
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

Phry said:

Scot said:

The guy apparently worked for Disney for 20 years or so before moving to ActiBlizz, so he is obviously very very good at what he does, that he has been poached by Netflix isn't really all that surprising, but that he would leave ActiBlizz after working there for only 18 months is, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would just up and leave without some pretty good reasons, so i doubt it is just about the money, however, that ActiBlizz are effectively paying him off big time, to me means that the guy has significant information that ActiBlizz want to protect, although ActiBlizz's move to 'sack him' seems more likely to be an effort to discredit him or perhaps save face because of the Netflix thing, either way, i think we're likely to hear something interesting about ActiBlizz from a 'rumoured source' in the near future, i've already put in my order for an extra large box of popcorn! ;)

Could well be but many top executives have a "if I leave for any reason" golden handshake clause. Bar proven criminal conviction they still get it. When you think about it is often the top guys who take the hit, to show to the world "lessons have been learned". So they have a contract that ensures they may take a hit professionally but not financially.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2019
    Alverant said:
    The guy got $10 million for being fired. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Will the people who lost their jobs because of his bad decisions get a severance package just as good?
    sounds like normal politics to me.
    SBFord said:
    Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

CFO = Chief Financial Officer

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."

soooo... he was the guy who had a phone?:)
    Rnjypsy

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2019
    Alverant said:
    The guy got $10 million for being fired. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Will the people who lost their jobs because of his bad decisions get a severance package just as good?
    It's how the world is. While you were gaming, he was getting his MBA and studying corporate finance at Harvard and networking with alumni. Who knows what kind of connections he was born into, besides? Pretty sure his parents weren't share-croppers.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Fired "Not for eating bananas in a sexual way, but for something different".
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Nyctelios said:
    Well what if he said the company was going for a bad direction and someone wasn't pleased with his input?

What if he was a good guy who knew better?

I know it's a far shot, but if it is unrelated to his work, then he speaking out his mind to someone's face is a valid reason.

And since he already has another job maybe he's good at what he does.

Just remember, he is not the first one to go recently... Or did you forget that the might head chief peaced out?
    It makes sense, corporate politics is a likely suspect on why they got rid of their CFO.
    Gdemami
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So Nasdaq gets a hold of this and releases it publicly, which could lead to another run off on stocks.....yeah that doesn't sound very ethical.
    Companies, even private companies, cannot - legally - keep such things quite. There will have been nothing "unethical" about the information becoming public.
    [Deleted User]
    Thane said:
    <Snip>

soooo... he was the guy who had a phone?:)
    And he used it to call Netflix!
    [Deleted User]Thupli
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited January 2019
    Alverant said:
    no, severance packages are given to these high level execs to keep them from suing. 10 million dollars is cheaper then litigation costs and PR damage from dirty laundry being aired in a court room. it has nothing to do with rewarding these people and everything to do with reducing costs.
    craftseeker
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Was he originally Activision side or Blizzard side?

All speculation aside about what he may have done to get fired, it's important to know whether this is more of Activision cleaning house in Blizzard or something else. 
    Gorwe
    Nyctelios said:
    H0urg1ass said:

All speculation aside about what he may have done to get fired, it's important to know whether this is more of Activision cleaning house in Blizzard or something else. 
    If I remember correctly the rumors we had the entire last year was about a CFO from Activision side being put on Blizz to make cuts.
    He was neither Activision side or Blizzard side. He was hired from Disney in May 2017 as the CFO of Activision Blizzard. 
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

SBFord said:

Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

CFO = Chief Financial Officer

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."

Sooooo.... if he was fired "for cause unrelated to the Company's financial reporting or disclosure controls and procedures" which would mean not for his actual job performance, I'm going out on a limb and say he was fired for workplace harassment and/or grabassin.

Or, he could have been habitually late for work. Mundane stuff still leads to firings.
    Gdemami

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Scot said:

Phry said:

Scot said:

Could well be but many top executives have a "if I leave for any reason" golden handshake clause. Bar proven criminal conviction they still get it. When you think about it is often the top guys who take the hit, to show to the world "lessons have been learned". So they have a contract that ensures they may take a hit professionally but not financially.
    He was already leaving ActiBlizz to join Netflix as their CFO, him being sacked and paid off is weird and sounds like ActiBlizz had a bit of a panic attack.
    Worth noting that nothing that ActiBlizz does can damage the guys rep, its solid in the industry and those who know, know. ;)
    Gdemami
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    edited January 2019
    These little things we keep seeing are axe chops in the tree.  I may not be yelling TIMBER, but I'm thinking it.  This, the BlizCON, Diablo Immortal, layoffs, etc. all seem like death from a million paper cuts...we might be watching history in the making.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The CFO in any gaming corp large enough to have one is the one senior management position that has the least to do with gaming. Actually almost sweet F all to do with it.

It boggles my mind that some are trying to paint his exit as somehow related to the Diablo mobile reveal fiasco and other recent Blizzard gaming screw-ups. This is the one guy that 100% had nothing to do with that.

gervaise1swagholecraftseekerkjempffScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    The CFO in any gaming corp large enough to have one is the one senior management position that has the least to do with gaming. Actually almost sweet F all to do with it.

It boggles my mind that some are trying to paint his exit as somehow related to the Diablo mobile reveal fiasco and other recent Blizzard gaming screw-ups. This is the one guy that 100% had nothing to do with that.

He may not be involved in those projects, but i wouldn't say they had no impact on his decision to move to Netflix, if things were going well at ActiBlizz then i doubt Netflix would have been as able to steal him away so easily.
    As someone deep on the inside of ActiBlizz he would have a very keen understanding of the company and have a pretty good idea of its financial 'future', his leaving is damaging, no mistake and i kind of expect this to impact ActiBlizz's share values, it doesn't make ActiBlizz's actions any less interesting, i am sure investors are taking serious note too, if they were not already that is  ;)
    KalebGraysonGdemami
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    "Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting" --
    Riiiiiiiight! And I'm Mary Poppins!
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

d_20 said:

Alverant said:

It's how the world is. While you were gaming, he was getting his MBA and studying corporate finance at Harvard and networking with alumni. Who knows what kind of connections he was born into, besides? Pretty sure his parents weren't share-croppers.

Yes, an MBA in Finance totally justifies a 10 million dollar bonua for being shitcanned. Im sure it has nothing to do at all with the politics of corrupt corporations and is based entirely upon merit.
    KalebGraysonGdemami
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

This guy isn't Blizzard's CFO btw. Amrita Ahuja is the current CFO of Blizzard. She worked at Activision before.
    Source:
    https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/amrita-ahuja-2402595

d_20 said:

Alverant said:

Yes, an MBA in Finance totally justifies a 10 million dollar bonua for being shitcanned. Im sure it has nothing to do at all with the politics of corrupt corporations and is based entirely upon merit.
    While your blaming unrelated people, why not include the janitorial staff too, maybe its really their fault. :p
    ConstantineMerus
    Nyctelios said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Nyctelios said:
    H0urg1ass said:

If I remember correctly the rumors we had the entire last year was about a CFO from Activision side being put on Blizz to make cuts.
    He was neither Activision side or Blizzard side. He was hired from Disney in May 2017 as the CFO of Activision Blizzard. 
    The rumors were spot on on every single detail. Sorry but I'll go with them.
    Doesn't make any rumours untrue; just not - specifically - about this person.

As @Dragnelus says however Blizzard's finance head is Amrita Ahuja - who was previously on the Activision side of things. And she will have reported to this guy who may well, along with the AB board, have set cost and profitability targets etc.