Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision-Blizzard CFO Fired for 'Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting' - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageActivision-Blizzard CFO Fired for 'Causes Unrelated to the Company's Financial Reporting' - MMORPG.com News

Nasdaq.com is reporting that Activision-Blizzard Chief Financial Officer Spencer Neumann has been fired "for cause unrelated to the Company's financial reporting or disclosure controls and procedures". At the time of this writing, Neumann is on paid leave pending an appeal of the decision to remove him from his position. In the interim, former CFO Dennis Durkin will be acting CFO and will regain the position permanently if Neumann's firing stands.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    ATVI is becoming the newsie's gift that keeps on giving. Interesting stuff all together considering the rocky last few months and what's likely to be a pretty dismal Q4 2018.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Kotick cutting staff, so that they can pay him more.
    Gdemamisycogenesisgearchin13ThaharOzmodan
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by Dauzqul on
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

CFO = Chief Financial Officer

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."
    [Deleted User]frA6meGorwe[Deleted User]tweedledumb99PhaserlightThahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    SBFord said:
    Arterius said:

so for the brain dead what was this guys exact job? I just am curious how this will impact Blizzard/Activation going forward.

"A chief financial officer (CFO) is the senior executive responsible for managing the financial actions of a company. The CFO's duties include tracking cash flow and financial planning as well as analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing corrective actions."
    Sooooo.... if he was fired "for cause unrelated to the Company's financial reporting or disclosure controls and procedures" which would mean not for his actual job performance, I'm going out on a limb and say he was fired for workplace harassment and/or grabassin.
    Guessing is fun eh? Let’s string him up and beat him with our social platforms before we know any facts!!
    GdemamiBlueThunderBearNephethcraftseekerGwapoJoshVrikaLahuzerGaladournMrMelGibsonCelciusand 6 others.
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I can imagine a typical board meeting,
    Boss: "So Spencer what's been happening, stock prices are plummeting do we have an explanation"
    Spencer: "Yes we do, Diablo Immortal"
    Boss: "YOUR FIRED"

The end
    RemyVorender3domBananablecielyCaylerabgzgamerGaladournPhryMMObro[Deleted User]and 6 others.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    Arterius said:

For a public company in the US like AB the CFO (Financial Director) is required - by law - to state that the company's financial statements and processes are accurate / up to scatch every quarter. Penalties depend on the infraction but could be up to $5M fine and/or up to 20 years in prison.

Depending on the company the CFO may be considered to be the company co-pilot acting alongside the CEO. 

The loss of a CFO could have an impact on the company share price in the short term (positive or negative) depending on what role the CFO has played in the company's success / failure. And beyond that who the subsequent replacement is - the position must be filled. If a short term drop in the share price becomes a longer term one this can e.g. make it more expensive for a company to borrow money or make it a take over target which can result on added pressure on teams to perform.
    RemyVorenderRPGenie[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonThahar
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They can word it anyway they want but imo this is TYPICAL of big business that likes to manipulate the numbers to FOOL stock holders and buyers.

Of course they are going to say it is not related to the numbers they could be sued a lot of money if the commission finds out they are purposely misleading and misrepresenting their stock and numbers.
    There was an article i mentioned several years ago that mentioned how Blizzard again like many big businesses moves it's numbers around for several reasons,like avoiding big quarterly bonuses and to fool investors.

I think there is a lot more dirt to come out of Blizzard and it is all because Activision is taking a no nonsense approach to how Blizzard operates.
    IDK about this 10 million compensation i read there,that doesn't make any sense at all.That would tell me he is not being fired for legit reasons because they wouldn't go handing out free money,especially 10 mil if they could avoid it.
    RPGenieDhamon99PhryArskaaaOzmodan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So lets pretend it was this guy's fault for Diablo Immortal being pitched at Blizzcon and Acti-blizz did us a favor by firing him?
    RoinOzmodan
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019
    $10 million dollar compensation to a single person. I hope these companies go bankrupt so they can understand they would be hugely profitable if those salaries were significantly cut. All this crap happens because the more money the head honchos want to earn the less money the company overall will make.
    Gorwe[Deleted User]BeezerbeezThaharOzmodan

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    They way they phrased that likely has to do with employment law, but it honestly sounds like a complete satire article on The Onion.

"CFO fired, company states 'Definitely not because he was embezzling funds.  It wasn't that.  Seriously!'"
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]ArglebargleCayleraIselinMrMelGibson[Deleted User]cheyanetweedledumb99Kyleran

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    My first assumption was embezzlement or mishandling, not sexual harassment. 

(But legal disclaimer - I'm not alleging or accusing anything. I have no information on the matter).
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

$10 million dollar compensation to a single person.

Those are not salaries - those are exactly compensations for people with certain skills to work for someone else instead of creating their own companies based on their unique skills sets, social and political connections, etc. Like, for example, I can program and manage IT projects but without equity / shares option on top of a salary - I'd better create my own business and make much more than average programmer or project manager.

Thank you for your time!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Lets take over the company 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Doesn't he have a phone? I heard if you have a phone everything is great.
    meonthissite
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019

I can imagine a typical board meeting,

Boss: "So Spencer what's been happening, stock prices are plummeting do we have an explanation"

Spencer: "Yes we do, Diablo Immortal"

Boss: "YOUR FIRED"

The end

Activision: "So Spencer what's been happening, stock prices are plummeting, is it because of me or you?"
    Spencer silently howls
    Phry[Deleted User]
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Albatroes said:
    So lets pretend it was this guy's fault for Diablo Immortal being pitched at Blizzcon and Acti-blizz did us a favor by firing him?
    Who should be held accountable?  The mail guy?  The art department?  The guy who did the Murloc voice for WoW?  Heard he's an unsavory sort...

If you're saying we have no reason to see things improving after he goes, I'm in agreement with you.  They'll replace him with someone equally aloof.  But if people at the top don't get booted after a big bad decision, then capitalism doesn't work.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson[Deleted User]seshses
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    The guy got $10 million for being fired. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Will the people who lost their jobs because of his bad decisions get a severance package just as good?
    cielyrojoArcueidGorwe[Deleted User]GdemamiThupliThahar
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

He probably gave them his two weeks notice, but then ActivisionBlizzard probably found legal or financial reasons to make sure he was no longer employed past 12/31/2018.

Such as, if he was on the job for even just a few days past 1/1/2019, there could have been legal and / or financial obligations, such as the vesting of shares, contract provisions, etc.

Otherwise, why on earth fire the guy who is about to hand in his resignation and ready to facilitate a smooth transition to an interim appointed officer?
    Gdemami
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited January 2019

He probably gave them his two weeks notice, but then ActivisionBlizzard probably found legal or financial reasons to make sure he was no longer employed past 12/31/2018.

Such as, if he was on the job for even just a few days past 1/1/2019, there could have been legal and / or financial obligations, such as the vesting of shares, contract provisions, etc.

Otherwise, why on earth fire the guy who is about to hand in his resignation and ready to facilitate a smooth transition to an interim appointed officer?

Firing doesn't give next months payment in some industries so maybe it was to save money ? :)
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    DMKano said:
    Yep - he knows the future at Blizzard is crap for the time being so he went to greener pastures
    Netflix? Greener pastures?

You mean the Netflix thats over $8 billion in debt? That Netflix?
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

$10 million dollar compensation to a single person. I hope these companies go bankrupt so they can understand they would be hugely profitable if those salaries were significantly cut. All this crap happens because the more money the head honchos want to earn the less money the company overall will make.

The problem is not company profitability; the problem is that with such enormous compensation packages (in ALL upper management positions), even a short tenure gains one so much, that staying or leaving doesn't "hurt" him/her. And when you don't care for your longevity in a company, you ultimately don't give a @#$% for the company itself.
    gervaise1Gdemami
  • ArgostArgost Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Upper management strait up rapes yet another company and finds a new home to rinse and repeat...
    GorweGdemamiThahar