Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Dead Redemption 2 still surprising me 20+ hours into the game.

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
SPOILERS & WALLS OF TEXT AHEAD

One of the cool things about Read Dead 2 is the random missions you find when navigating the huge open world. There are no exclamation points above NPC heads you simply get a flashing white circle on your mini map or hear someone calling you out or calling you over, Its all very organic and random none of which is in fixed locations. 

One such example of this was a week or two ago when i was on my way back from fishing heading to town to sell my catch . As Im going through the woods off the beaten path of the road i hear someone yelling, "Help, Help"  finally i find a guy laying on the ground in pain begging me to help him with his snake bite. I don't remember all the options but i did choose to suck the venom out and getting a good laugh as my character responded to the NPC, he better not tell anyone about this ( It was close to his crotch  :D)

So a few play sessions go by and last night I'm heading into one of the smaller towns to play poker and i hear some guy outside the general store yelling "Hey buddy, remember me" as i approach the guy he is sitting next to another guy who is goofing on him that "Hey this is the guy who sucked your leg"  The guy i rescued then offers to buy me anything i want inside the general store, 1 item on him.

What made this event so unique and unlike any game i had played before was the organic nature of the whole event and the time that elapsed between it. There was no cut-scenes , there was no forced options from the start when i found him to the finish of the event when he offered to buy me whatever i choose as a reward from the store. I mean could have easily just shot and robbed him when i found him, I could have just kept on riding by when he called me over for a reward, when he offered the reward i could have just blown him off and kept on riding by. There was no fixed amount of time for the event to trigger, The npc never told me to meet him in town at a certain time. It was all by CHANCE, From start to finish.

What makes this game so special is the organic nature of everything in its world I could give you a dozen other stories like this one from all aspects of the game, I can't remember which review i read this in but i think this quote pretty much sums up the game " You don't play Red Dead Redemption 2 you live in its world"
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

[Deleted User]bartoni33ConstantineMerus

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    yep, bc a flashing white dot on the minimap is sooo much more immersive than an exclemation mark. wait no, both aren't actually any immersive at all, my bad ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Its an amazing game- probably the most immersive ive ever experienced.

You'll continue to be surprised for many , many hours to come.

I think of it more as an experience than just a game.. It has faults, poor item progression and many of the awesome side activities really wont benefit you as much as i would have liked (I would have liked a total sim where you could 'live' as a trapper and such) but its just a damn amazing experience.

edit- it ruined open world games for me though...Nothing can hold up now. 

JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]bartoni33
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Two comments:  PC; and Co-op multiplayer campaign.

I'll pass for now.
    H0urg1ass

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Regnor said:
    Two comments:  PC; and Co-op multiplayer campaign.

I'll pass for now.
    well, play deadspace 3 :>

THAT was good game

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Get it to PC and I'll give it a try.  No PC, no play.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2018
    To PC gamers...us console players feel your pain. 

Like it used to be a PC gamer dominate industry, it turned into a console dominate industry. Companies that used to be PC focused companies either outright abandoned PC for consoles (like red dead redemption, when they used to be a PC company) or PC versions come LAST

BUT

Mobile gaming is heavily overtaking (in terms of revenue) even console games. Even us console gamers will be quickly 2nd fiddle to gaming companies, just like PC gamers have been treated. Companies gonna focus on what makes money, and mobile game makes more money than all consoles+PC games combined.

So companies treated PC gamers like cr@@. Console gamers celebrated that. BUT, now us console gamers get bit in the A@@ and know what pc gamers felt like...abandoned and treated like a piece of cow pie. All because mobile gaming makes so much money, console and pc games can't even close to compared with mobile gaming revenue...especially how cheap mobile games are to make.

So us console players that laughed at PC gamers in their face and mocked them will now get karma back right at us and abandoned for mobile games.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    It was exposed and exposed hard when they put it in multiplayer. not even the RP nerds stuck with it and if they couldnt make it work then no one can.

Its monetization 101. Especially with these guys. But it will eventually come to PC the big question is will they have to compete against cyberpunk or the new Obsidian Fall Out game that is better than Fall Out (if you can believe the trailers) Outer Worlds. While neither will be shipped as multiplayer I am pretty confident Cyberpunk will eventually get there they got a lot of help at CDPR a few months ago all specializing in multiplayer and MMO areas.

Like it used to be a PC gamer dominate industry, it turned into a console dominate industry. Companies that used to be PC focused companies either outright abandoned PC for consoles (like red dead redemption, when they used to be a PC company) or PC versions come LAST

It's fascinating that you say that, cause I've never really felt abandoned on PC at all.  PC has always has exceptional games that, in my opinion, far out-strip a lot of console games.

But I also realize that this is a difference of genres.  If you like games such as 4X games, Total War games, RTS games, ARPG's and MMO's... well there just aren't a lot of those on console.

Where the console tends to win out, is in the first person / third person games, where they get games like The Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted... etc.  Which, honestly, I can live without at the end of the day.

It's not like I don't have a nearly endless backlog of games that I haven't even installed yet, much less played, if a company wants to limit their sales by being console exclusive, then go right ahead and be stupid.  If they really think the PC market won't help them, then maybe they should pull the blindfolds off of their eyes and realize that Fortnight earned 3 billion this year, and Overwatch earned 1 billion off of initial box sales alone in the first couple of weeks.

Making your title exclusive as a developer is really just saying "Hey, we'd really like to make 50% less money on this title than we could, so let's just go with the Playstation exclusively."  I honestly can't fathom any company that would do this, and if I was a majority shareholder, I'd be raising ungodly holy fucking hell and doing what I could to remove the derptard running the show.
    edited December 2018
    H0urg1ass said:

It's fascinating that you say that, cause I've never really felt abandoned on PC at all.  PC has always has exceptional games that, in my opinion, far out-strip a lot of console games.

But I also realize that this is a difference of genres.  If you like games such as 4X games, Total War games, RTS games, ARPG's and MMO's... well there just aren't a lot of those on console.

Where the console tends to win out, is in the first person / third person games, where they get games like The Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted... etc.  Which, honestly, I can live without at the end of the day.

It's not like I don't have a nearly endless backlog of games that I haven't even installed yet, much less played, if a company wants to limit their sales by being console exclusive, then go right ahead and be stupid.  If they really think the PC market won't help them, then maybe they should pull the blindfolds off of their eyes and realize that Fortnight earned 3 billion this year, and Overwatch earned 1 billion off of initial box sales alone in the first couple of weeks.

Making your title exclusive as a developer is really just saying "Hey, we'd really like to make 50% less money on this title than we could, so let's just go with the Playstation exclusively."  I honestly can't fathom any company that would do this, and if I was a majority shareholder, I'd be raising ungodly holy fucking hell and doing what I could to remove the derptard running the show.
    I would say making a single platform elusive  for you to play on is silly and elitist.

The reason exclusives are great for shareholders is that they sell consoles- I'm a PC gamer for the most part but always own a PlayStation for a few games- Its nice having a system made to sit on the couch and lately ive found myself rebuying a lot of games I already own on PC so I can play on a 65 inch while sitting on the couch or laying down.

The whole "I wont play if its not on PC" is being a derptard imho- Youre missing out on some great games, many that will never come to PC... Its not like its a huge investment to begin with as consoles are cheap  and also give you blu ray player (hopefully a 4k player next gen)

To each their own...As a gamer I game on everything and i've bought entire systems for just 1 game more or less and am fine with it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    newbismx said:
    H0urg1ass said:

I would say making a single platform elusive  for you to play on is silly and elitist.

The reason exclusives are great for shareholders is that they sell consoles- I'm a PC gamer for the most part but always own a PlayStation for a few games- Its nice having a system made to sit on the couch and lately ive found myself rebuying a lot of games I already own on PC so I can play on a 65 inch while sitting on the couch or laying down.

The whole "I wont play if its not on PC" is being a derptard imho- Youre missing out on some great games, many that will never come to PC... Its not like its a huge investment to begin with as consoles are cheap  and also give you blu ray player (hopefully a 4k player next gen)

To each their own...As a gamer I game on everything and i've bought entire systems for just 1 game more or less and am fine with it.
    I don't care really about what platform I play on, but until consoles shuck their damn controllers and well support keyboard and mouse play I'm staying a member of the PC master race.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Here is how i feel about the game...

It has some immersion that is a plus'
    The graphics are clean.

no markers over npc heads a HUGE plus.

That is where it ends for me,i simply cannot get too excited about playing a rustler/cowboy ,shooting a six shooter or rifle.It just doesn't do anything for me.
    I love western movies and would still watch them whenever a good one comes out but actually playing a cowboy myself in a game,nah too boring.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm glad you are enjoying it mate, you indeed needed a break specially after the recent stuff that you went through, happy you are feeling better. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Like the man said:  No PC, no play.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

newbismx said:
    H0urg1ass said:

i've bought entire systems for just 1 game more or less and am fine with it.
    I'm sorry, but there is literally not one console game on earth worth $460 up front.  Not a single one.

Have I spent that much, and more, on specific PC games and especially MMO's?  Yes. 

Will EVE Online literally force me to change my entire computer, every two years, or tell me to screw myself if I want to play their latest expansion on "old" hardware?  Nope.

I see absolutely zero redeeming qualities in playing console games on a console.  I can just as easily hook my computer up to a 65" TV and I've been able to do that for about 10 years on NVIDIA cards, so I don't even see that as part of the equation in the argument.

Consoles are, in almost every way shape and form, inferior to PC's.  The only, single, literally one, reason to buy console games over PC's is to eliminate the possibility of configuration mismatches.  The one good thing consoles have going for them, is that if you buy a game for a console, then its going to work on that console really well since they only have to develop for a single inferior hardware and OS package.

But outside of that, they're a colossal waste of money.  I can hook a PS4 controller to my computer and plug it into my 65" TV and play any ported game that way just fine.

Therefore, I stand by my original statement, that if they want to lose money, then they can keep making exclusives, but PC games are still selling like mad, so any developer who makes exclusive deals is either getting huge kickbacks from the platform company's, or is brain dead to be putting their middle fingers up at the PC community.

I have my money in my wallet.  If RDR2 makes it to PC, then they can have my money.  If not... Oh look, I just bought Vermintide II.  Sounds like fun!
    edited December 2018
    H0urg1ass said:
    newbismx said:
    H0urg1ass said:

i've bought entire systems for just 1 game more or less and am fine with it.
    I'm sorry, but there is literally not one console game on earth worth $460 up front.  Not a single one.

Have I spent that much, and more, on specific PC games and especially MMO's?  Yes. 

Will EVE Online literally force me to change my entire computer, every two years, or tell me to screw myself if I want to play their latest expansion on "old" hardware?  Nope.

I see absolutely zero redeeming qualities in playing console games on a console.  I can just as easily hook my computer up to a 65" TV and I've been able to do that for about 10 years on NVIDIA cards, so I don't even see that as part of the equation in the argument.

Consoles are, in almost every way shape and form, inferior to PC's.  The only, single, literally one, reason to buy console games over PC's is to eliminate the possibility of configuration mismatches.  The one good thing consoles have going for them, is that if you buy a game for a console, then its going to work on that console really well since they only have to develop for a single inferior hardware and OS package.

But outside of that, they're a colossal waste of money.  I can hook a PS4 controller to my computer and plug it into my 65" TV and play any ported game that way just fine.

Therefore, I stand by my original statement, that if they want to lose money, then they can keep making exclusives, but PC games are still selling like mad, so any developer who makes exclusive deals is either getting huge kickbacks from the platform company's, or is brain dead to be putting their middle fingers up at the PC community.

I have my money in my wallet.  If RDR2 makes it to PC, then they can have my money.  If not... Oh look, I just bought Vermintide II.  Sounds like fun!
    Not trying to make this into a console or PC debate- On technical specs, obviously even a cheap PC would win- But that really isnt in the equation to me when playing games. 

I still have a 486 machine where I'll occasionally play text based or adventure games on. More power doesnt really factor in- I have my PC for that but an array of good games across all systems.

You guys seem to take this too personally- Nobody 'gave the middle finger" to anyone and theres a hell of alot more games on PC than on console and I dont consider that a "middle finger" to anyone.

Youre missing some amazing PS4 exclusives and console exclusives- You can get a used PS4 for maybe $200 these days. 

And no- Buying a console for a few games is not at all a waste. depends on your gaming habits and reasoning. I have thousands of hours in MLB the show (best sports game ever) and occasionally get to spend time with other gems such as Horizen: zero dawn and RDR2. I play games for the games (not the hardware) and I'm covered everwhere a game drops except on Xbox so...

And yes, controllers suck on most games but it is what it is- Supposedly the next gen are going to have kb/m setups and i'll certainly have a PS5 just for MLB: The show 2021 or whatever lol
    bartoni33