Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many MMORPGs are there that you would recommend to people today?

13»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    LOTRO for traditional fans and GW2 as the more modern option.

It depends on who you are giving the recommendation to of course. For sci-fi fans I think the only real option is SWTOR now that Wildstar is gone.

I don't consider EVE an MMORPG, I consider it an MMO Space Sim. It's a very different type of game but I'd still suggest they take a look at it.
    Funny,  I consider EVE one of the few MMORPGs worthy of the moniker these days. 

SWTOR was always just WOW in space, and one of the last its "clones."

I meant I don't consider it an RPG, not that I don't think it's good game or an MMO. It's clearly one of the higher quality massively multiplayer games but when someone says RPG they aren't thinking of an online space simulation.
    Fans of EvE get very twitchy when you question if their game is a MMORPG, I tend to stay clear. How about MMOSS, Massive Multiplayer Online Space Simulator? :)
    But.. but.. that's what I said in my first post lol.

"I don't consider EVE an MMORPG, I consider it an MMO Space Sim."
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I've literally seen 0% of people in game that give 1 shit what genre you put EVE into. MMORPG is fine. Just like a random asshole's version of the genre is fine. 
    Scot
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Honestly, whatever game a person truly enjoys that hits the spot is the game for a person.

Im fine with recommending MMO's, even though the only real mmo i'd play is project gorgon or entropia both massively derided for different reasons but they hit the spot for me. However, i wouldnt recommend either unless someone wanted something specific.

So if someone wants to try an mmo there are a lot to recommend, that person may strike gold with the game and love it. 

So id suggest BDO if graphics and combat are your thing.

EVE if you like space plus high complexity

Wow if you want polish and population

ESO and GW2 as other games with a decent population.

Etc. There are a ton of games to recommend because what stinks to you may be glory to another person.
    Gorwe
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    LOTRO for traditional fans and GW2 as the more modern option.

It depends on who you are giving the recommendation to of course. For sci-fi fans I think the only real option is SWTOR now that Wildstar is gone.

I don't consider EVE an MMORPG, I consider it an MMO Space Sim. It's a very different type of game but I'd still suggest they take a look at it.
    Funny,  I consider EVE one of the few MMORPGs worthy of the moniker these days. 

SWTOR was always just WOW in space, and one of the last its "clones."

I meant I don't consider it an RPG, not that I don't think it's good game or an MMO. It's clearly one of the higher quality massively multiplayer games but when someone says RPG they aren't thinking of an online space simulation.
    Fans of EvE get very twitchy when you question if their game is a MMORPG, I tend to stay clear. How about MMOSS, Massive Multiplayer Online Space Simulator? :)
    But.. but.. that's what I said in my first post lol.

"I don't consider EVE an MMORPG, I consider it an MMO Space Sim."
    Heathens.
    ScotConstantineMerusNorseGod

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Thane said:
    just for the record guys, YOU not playing mmos anymore, does NOT mean the genre is dead.
    Or maybe the games YOU are playing are not really MMORPGs anymore? ;)
    Kyleran
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Siveria said:
    I'd vote 0 if I could, mmorpgs today are a shell of what they once were.
    The classic bitter mantra.
    We have such diversity in MMOs today than ever, so yes you can play old school MMOs today yes you can play modern MMOs today yes you can play MUDs today.

Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Thane said:
    just for the record guys, YOU not playing mmos anymore, does NOT mean the genre is dead.
    So true, also you can still be a knight by joining a re-enactment club which will have a couple of hundred people. Knights as a modern type of cavalry warfare lives on. ;)
    MadFrenchie
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Oh I forgot to mention SWTOR and LotRO when I posted. 
    Scot

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I chose 1 but wanted to choose 0.  I don't think there are any out there worth recommending right now.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Maurgrim said:
    Siveria said:
    I'd vote 0 if I could, mmorpgs today are a shell of what they once were.
    The classic bitter mantra.
    We have such diversity in MMOs today than ever, so yes you can play old school MMOs today yes you can play modern MMOs today yes you can play MUDs today.

I suppose with all of the many dead and dying "trees" out there one can argue the "forest" still exists, but making the claim it is healthy is being willfully obtuse to an extraordinary level.

But sure, go stick your head back in the sand,  nothing to see up here.

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    deniter said:
    Thane said:
    Or maybe the games YOU are playing are not really MMORPGs anymore? ;)
    yea, they are more like lobby games  ^^
    but to be fair, mmos had like 1k players when i started playing em, and we concidered that alot!

planetside fills this mass, if that is what we worry about

anyway, i am waiting for CU, which definately qualifies as MMO once it releases
    Kyleran

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    For those that like to solo or small group co-op these are the best MMOs for you and that playstyle:

-Witcher 3 (best story in a solo MMO)
    -Divinity 2 Original Sin Enhanced Edition (best solo/co-op MMO you'll ever play)
    -X series (new one just came out, but I'd wait for patches. Won't get a more indepth MMO for soloing)
    -Crusader Kings 2 (my favorite paradox game, best family style MMO)
    -Europa Universalis 4 (conquer the world MMO)
    -Monster Hunter World (hunt monsters MMO)
    -AC Odyssey
    -AC Black Flag (which I personally prefer over Odyssey, best pirate MMO you'll ever play for soloing)
    -Grimoire (oldschool dungeon crawler solo MMO, won't like it if you require high end graphics and don't like archaic game design.)
    -Kenshi (an actually good survival MMO game, but its brutal, like dark souls brutal)

And guys cause you all take things so seriously, I know none of the above are MMOs. But they are far better for soloers/co-opers. So this post is sorta making fun at all the soloers who want to change MMO game design to be 100% solo/co-op :P but at same time recommending good games

MMORPG's was the question so no offense man but your post is irrelevant.  As for the thread, MMORPG gaming as it stand is a wasteland of failure and lack of innovation so ZERO is what i would recommend. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    3 - 4 sounds about right.  Gw2 ffxiv eso and wow jump out as being good games, although I only play eso.  If I wanted to include a few more, I could say lotro, boundless (that's right..I like boundless),  Eve, secret world.  So maybe I will up it to 5 or 6.

Seems a good selection to me, even if u don't necessarily like some.  I can recognize when a game is probably worth playing for others even when it doesn't appeal to me.

I self identify as a monkey.