Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers now down until mid Jan

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
Seems like they opened the cash shop, and now took down the servers for 3 weeks. (from what I understand just a 1-day notice)
Oh yeah... they also brought the forums down on the 18th when they launched Apocolypse and they remain down.
Referrals links not functional at the launch of Apocalypse (perhaps someone can confirm.  I have read this and it appears to be true)

Shady as shit

Even Jahlon says he rates "this entire fiasco as a failure"

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

[Deleted User]JamesGoblinScotOctagon7711tweedledumb99YashaX

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Inb4 "it's crowdfunding, you can't hold them accountable!"
    NorseGod[Deleted User]kikoodutroa8Scottweedledumb99

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Hilarious.  So glad I passed on that KS.
    JamesGoblin
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It's good they called it apocalypse. 
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188AeliousJamesGoblinAegirisPhryOctagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I would love to be surprised by this.

Has there yet been a crowd funded MMO that is not shady as hell?

Pantheon and Dual Universe maybe is the exceptions at this point but the list of shady is a lot longer than legit ones.
    Think part of the reason Dual is so straightforward is it's not their primary source of funding iirc.  Not sure about Pantheon.
    Octagon7711

I would love to be surprised by this.

Has there yet been a crowd funded MMO that is not shady as hell?

Pantheon and Dual Universe maybe is the exceptions at this point but the list of shady is a lot longer than legit ones.
    Think part of the reason Dual is so straightforward is it's not their primary source of funding iirc.  Not sure about Pantheon.
    But Steven was supposed to be able to personally pay for the entire development budget if I recall...

MadFrenchieJamesGoblinOctagon7711YashaX

Here's a video from @jahlon giving you his take.

https://youtu.be/FeF50rCmm5U

KyleranJamesGoblinTheScavenger

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited December 2018
    Even a cash shop huh, and then they do this. Seriously this stuff needs to be regulated and companies have to start being fined.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kitarad said:
    Even a cash shop huh, and then they do this. Seriously this stuff needs to be regulated and companies have to start being fined.
    I guess, but gamers really should know better.

Sort of how in some movies I find myself rooting for the psychos because the victims are so naive and unaware.

;)
    JamesGoblinConstantineMerusPhryKanwulfOctagon7711Beezerbeez

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Sort of how in some movies I find myself rooting for the psychos because the victims are so naive and unaware.

;)
    The point is not that gamers should know better but that the game company should not be allowed to cheat and profit off them. Cheating is what I am talking about. Fine, you and I might not fall for this but are you seriously advocating that game companies should be allowed to misrepresent their game and then to basically thieve their way into profits. Is that what you think gaming companies should be allowed to do?

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited December 2018
    Why even buy stuff in cash shop on a testing BR server that everyone knew would be testing purpose.
    Scot[Deleted User]Strizzy12Kanwulf
    Maurgrim said:
    Why even buy stuff in cash shop on a testing BR server that everyone knew would be testing purpose.
    They might do it to support the game. Why do people buy the jpegs of starships?
    Scot

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    kitarad said:
    Maurgrim said:
    They bought in store because they are competitive and want to win, hardly to support the game, It is after a Battle Royal.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So the "official" launch of their BR mode is in February, does anyone know if this is an official EA launch or an actually launch?

I presume no one knows when or if AoC will be more than a BR game?
    Maurgrim said:
    kitarad said:
    Maurgrim said:
    They bought in store because they are competitive and want to win, hardly to support the game, It is after a Battle Royal.
    Fair enough I agree they were probably not doing it to support the game but that does not mean they deserve to be cheated. Whatever your personal objections are to P2W cheating players isn't something we should ever support nor celebrate because they deserve to be cheated is the opinion we secretly hold. Well not so secretly in my case  B)
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IMO just like all of these crowd funded games,they have been feeding people a crock of shit.

This BR ideas is NOT for testing THE GAME,it is THEIR test to see how they can make money off a very popular trend in gaming.
    As mentioned by many already,you don't start a cash shop with no game or before the actual release...right Mr.Roberts?
    it is NOT crowd funding like this,it is RMT,cash shop gaming and nothing more.Other already released games have cash shops,one of the first being EQ2,nobody was going around calling EQ2 a crowd funded game.

This developer joins the realm of the crap developers trying to steal money from naive people.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Seems like they opened the cash shop, and now took down the servers for 3 weeks. (from what I understand just a 1-day notice)
    Oh yeah... they also brought the forums down on the 18th when they launched Apocolypse and they remain down.
    Referrals links not functional at the launch of Apocalypse (perhaps someone can confirm.  I have read this and it appears to be true)

Shady as shit

Just some facts:

The Webpage Migration was supposed to be done on 5 October.  This is from PAX West.  I can find the soundbite upon request.

Then it was supposed to be done on 15-16 December.

Then it was supposed to be done on 18 December and take 4-8 hours.

On Christmas it was reported that some of the data may have been corrupted.

On 28 December it was reported that migration issues may take until the end of next week ( 4 Jan) to resolve.

Any soundbite, fact or citation you'd like, I"ll happily provide it.  

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    jahlon said:

Shady as shit

Just some facts:

The Webpage Migration was supposed to be done on 5 October.  This is from PAX West.  I can find the soundbite upon request.

On 28 December it was reported that migration issues may take until the end of next week ( 4 Jan) to resolve.

If you can't get your webpage done on time and right, it doesn't instill much confidence in the dev studios skills to complete the much harder task of building the actual game. 
    [Deleted User]Roin
    --------------------------------------------
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    jahlon said:

Shady as shit

Just some facts:

Honestly this is not shady period.   This is EXACTLY what you get with developers and Operations people out of India.   I work with off shore teams in India for a living.  Do you know how many times a straight forward release ends up with corrupted data and migration issues?  It happens more often than not.  I kid you not.  I gave the Indian team a script that would clean up our video repository of non video files.   They Changed the script to MAKE SURE it is thorough which is what they told management and said my script was not thorough.  Yet I had .docx, .xls  and so on in my variables for files to delete.   Their CHANGE to make it a thorough script was to delete the variable for files to delete to.  *.* then they ran the script.   It blew up at 16 TB LUN with over 100 Million video and voice files.   It took us weeks to recover everything.   

This is what you get when you OffShore work to India.  The PROBLEM is right now with Game developers in California a State where $100,000 a year is low middle class.   This drives the cost of making a game up.   Steven should move his development to a place like Iowa, or Ohio.   The Mid west is where you can pay developers $50K to $100K and they can live very well on that salary range.  
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)
    The point is not that gamers should know better but that the game company should not be allowed to cheat and profit off them. Cheating is what I am talking about. Fine, you and I might not fall for this but are you seriously advocating that game companies should be allowed to misrepresent their game and then to basically thieve their way into profits. Is that what you think gaming companies should be allowed to do?
    In this specific situation who has been "cheated" and how so?

Game is a F2P beta so was there ever a promise by the devs the game would not be taken offline for periods of time?

The opening of the cash shop has nothing to do with this if no promises were made to keep the game servers continully online once it opened. 

As far as I know any purchases already made will still be usable when the game returns online, and still accrue rewards in the future MMORPG. 

If players made any other assumptions outside of what was stated or agreed to it is solely their mistake.

Steven has often proven he is a master at wordplay, and has no issue letting people believe what they wish as he is very careful not to say things which he can be held accountable for.

Regardless, it doesn't mean anyone has been cheated.

[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusCaylera

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Game is a F2P beta so was there ever a promise by the devs the game would not be taken offline for periods of time?

The opening of the cash shop has nothing to do with this if no promises were made to keep the game servers continully online once it opened. 

@jahlon can correct me but I believe Steven stated that once it went public and the store opened that it would be up 24/7.  Of course shit happens, but now they are taking it down for weeks.  I think the shady part is that they "magically" have the referrals offline when they started Apocalypse.  Sure, it could just be one big magical coincidence that it's down (and the forums) at the same time they launched Apocalypse and the store for it...

But I tend to be suspicious by nature... and this doesn't pass the smell test.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Kyleran said:

@jahlon can correct me but I believe Steven stated that once it went public and the store opened that it would be up 24/7.  Of course shit happens, but now they are taking it down for weeks.  I think the shady part is that they "magically" have the referrals offline when they started Apocalypse.  Sure, it could just be one big magical coincidence that it's down (and the forums) at the same time they launched Apocalypse and the store for it...

Dude read my post.   Its not shady when companies from India is doing 90% of your IT work.   This is the shit that happens because they are incapable of managing most IT systems.  Like I said in my post, I had my off shore team change my script from deleting certain files to *.* and look up what a *,* means.  YES they are that fucking incompetent.  del c:\test\*.* deletes everything in the C:\test folder.   So when my off shore team changed the variable from the specified files to *.*  it meant delete everything in our video directory folder.   Yet they said I was not being thorough enough and lacking in my job.  In the end their engineers got fired.   

So what Ashes is dealing with this this type of bullshit that come from cheap foreign labor. 
    [Deleted User]
    danwest58 said:
    Kyleran said:

Dude read my post.   Its not shady when companies from India is doing 90% of your IT work.   This is the shit that happens because they are incapable of managing most IT systems.  Like I said in my post, I had my off shore team change my script from deleting certain files to *.* and look up what a *,* means.  YES they are that fucking incompetent.  del c:\test\*.* deletes everything in the C:\test folder.   So when my off shore team changed the variable from the specified files to *.*  it meant delete everything in our video directory folder.   Yet they said I was not being thorough enough and lacking in my job.  In the end their engineers got fired.   

So what Ashes is dealing with this this type of bullshit that come from cheap foreign labor. 
    Dude I don’t need to REread your post.  You can believe the magical coincidences. When you have a system that rewards real cash for referrals and that system is magically offline when your game launches... I think it smells rotten.

Sorry your experience with an IT group in India was horrendous. That has zero correlation here. 
    Soybean

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

As far as I know any purchases already made will still be usable when the game returns online, and still accrue rewards in the future MMORPG. 

If players made any other assumptions outside of what was stated or agreed to it is solely their mistake.

Steven has often proven he is a master at wordplay, and has no issue letting people believe what they wish as he is very careful not to say things which he can be held accountable for.

No. Industry standard practice is that buyers are entitled to refunds for all purchases made during last 90 days before the game shuts down.

Unless AoC buyers were told ahead of purchase that the game is shutting down for a period of time, or were told that the item is available only periodically, then AoC has the responsibility to keep the game running so that the item is available and taking it down is a breach of this responsibility and their contract.

The buyers are entitled refunds.
    mmolouGdemami

Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

;)

No. Industry standard practice is that buyers are entitled to refunds for all purchases made during last 90 days before the game shuts down.

Unless AoC buyers were told ahead of purchase that the game is shutting down for a period of time, or were told that the item is available only periodically, then AoC has the responsibility to keep the game running so that the item is available and taking it down is a breach of this responsibility and their contract.

The buyers are entitled refunds.
    Nonsense.  "Industry  standard practices" are not legally binding, buyers are entitled to whatever  terms of service were agreed to at time of purchase.  There is no obligation to keep the game running 24  x 7, and they've clearly said service will resume on Jan 11th so the game hasn't been "shut down."

Steven is the master of the "gray areas."

ConstantineMerusCayleraOctagon7711[Deleted User]mmolouGdemami