Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMoRPG of The Year // Opinion

Mars_OrbitalMars_Orbital Member UncommonPosts: 301
edited December 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
My pick for MMo of the Year : Black Desert Online

Black Desert is probably the most groundbreaking MMO to comes out in the past 5 years. The Amount of content the game features literally has something for everyone.  One of the best part's is the vertical climb also has various horizontal elements. Meaning  that the even as one goes up in levels , there is still an abundant of tasks that can be done in life skills.

People whine and moan about p2w, that is on them. The game allows for everyone to play how they want and if others can cut a few corners to achieve  a goal, that is on them.  As far as actual "p2w" there is 0 in the item shop. Even when someone buys a pearl  item and puts it into the market, that then becomes part of the game, so it isn't like someone can just buy a sword of infinite damage in the pearl shop like other games allow.

Going into my 3rd year now playing, I still have no Boss gear lol, but I do have 2 sets of tri gear , some Tet weapons and other things that amass my wealth well over the billion silver threshold. I'm feeling really good  in that aspect of the game. Learning about new things almost daily now that increased my revenue output quite a bit, but those secrets are secrets not to be shared :P .

Black Desert  is literally, the greatest mmorpg ever created, and people are doing themselves a great disservice when they play the game to "level". There is so much more to understand about Black Desert that 3 years in, I'm still learning new things.

Black Desert is my Mmo of the Year.

What's yours ?
"Killed just about everything that walked or crawled at one time or another,and I'm here to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned" - William Munny / Unforgiven .
Post edited by Mars_Orbital on
GdemamiDragnelusAlmostLancelotTheScavengersumdumguy1parpinKajidourdenScotAgent_JosephPhryand 4 others.

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember EpicPosts: 4,358
    Well if it's mmo, not mmorpg, and just for this year, maybe Fortnite? Seems to be the most popular. But I can't personally vouch for that.
    iixviiiixOctagon7711boris20Scot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Mars_OrbitalMars_Orbital Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Amathe said:
    Well if it's mmo, not mmorpg, and just for this year, maybe Fortnite? Seems to be the most popular. But I can't personally vouch for that.
    Apoligize, I thought the position of the thread in the mmorpg discussion section was ernough to pin point it was for mmorpg's, fixed the title so the literal have a crutch.
    MadFrenchieAmatheKyleran
    "Killed just about everything that walked or crawled at one time or another,and I'm here to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned" - William Munny / Unforgiven .
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshMember RarePosts: 6,697
    I mean, if you are hardcore in to P2W, BD makes sense I guess.
    sumdumguy1phoenixfire2GdemamiOctagon7711PhryScotKyleranMrMelGibson
  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHMember RarePosts: 5,971
    Amathe said:
    Fortnite developed by Epic Games is a cooperative sandbox survival game that revolves around players fortifying their base from day to day against monsters. Players will have to explore for gear and materials to scavenge in order to survive the night.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/fortnite#QwVkDRE7IFTSTm2R.99
    GdemamiKyleran

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember EpicPosts: 4,341
    I have to pick the one I've played the most this year.

It's GW2 for me.

I'm not going to bore everyone with the reasons or claim it's the best MMO ever. You all know if you like it or not by now. All I know is that it never leaves my harddrive even when I'm focusing on another game.
    Mars_Orbitalkalcasumdumguy1parpinGaleOmOctagon7711AeanderEvilGeek
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix GSMember UncommonPosts: 1,765
    Fortnite
    CaffynatedScotAgent_Josephboris20
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember EpicPosts: 2,051
    LotRO and its legendary servers.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotMars_Orbital
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • ArteriusArterius Member UncommonPosts: 309
    FFXIV I love the game and its the only MMO that keeps my interest longer than a few months. It had seem pretty good updates this year as well and 2019 should be FFXIV's year unless the legacy WOW servers steal the show
    Mars_Orbital
  • DragnelusDragnelus UtrechtMember EpicPosts: 2,708
    Must say I enjoyed those classic/legendary servers from rift and lotro.

I always hop bck to ffxiv and wow.

Bdo just when I need mine mindless grind.
    Mars_Orbital

• sgelsgel Member RarePosts: 2,036

Black Desert  is literally, the greatest mmorpg ever created, 
    I can understand you liking the game... but that comment there is absolutely ridiculous.
    sumdumguy1Octagon7711AeanderOG_ZorvanKyleranMrMelGibson

..Cake..

• RemaliRemali AthensMember UncommonPosts: 252
    Bdo for me as well its not perfect but its better than the others
    Mars_OrbitalAzaron_NightbladeWaan
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 19,689
    There are 2 things good about BDO - graphics and animations. 

PvE combat is one of the dullest ever to be put in a MMO - grinder like no other with zero challenge.

PVP is a reduced to 5 classes that are viable, the rest either have a gear ceiling that is impossibly high to make them viable or just a complete joke.

And then there's are life skills - most of these are designed for no lifers where to really be successful you have to dick around in game 24/7

And then there's the cash shop- it's not P2W - its worse- its P2Enjoy - the base gameplay is intentionally crippled where spending cash in the shop will uncripple you make it a much easier and more fun experience. 

In a P2W game you spend once to get the best there is and are done spending- not BDO - it is designed to milk their playerbase as long as they play - continuously- meanwhile they praise the game how it's not P2W.... hello?

It's the epitome of being taken advantage over and over again meanwhile the same players are singing their praises about how the game is not P2W, yet they are spending more money on BDO than any other game period 

Unreal 

parpinphoenixfire2Mars_Orbitalgervaise1GdemamiAeanderOG_ZorvanTrolldefender99KyleranEvilGeekand 2 others.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember EpicPosts: 3,321
    pay to win/enjoy aside. I have played the most of BDO this year, so I guess it gets my vote for MMO"RPG"s

I've enjoyed divinity 2 Enhanced Edition, Kenshi, Grimoire, Monster Hunter World, Crusader Kings 2 (okay its old, but its what I play the most of any game), Total War Warhammer 2 all far more than any MMOs this year.

But when I do want a MMO, I tend to go to BDO

Find leveling in GW2 boring as hell, so I never last long because of that. I ignore hearts like I was told to do, but that makes it even vastly more boring

WoW BFA is not my thing. Loved legion the best of any. Loved WoD and  WOTLK tied for 2nd favorite expansions. BC and vanilla were okay. Didn't like Cataclysm, MOP and now BFA.

ESO has the worst animations I've seen in a triple A MMO that is "modern", and the combat is literally broken with animation cancelling that was a bug but they were too crap of developers to fix it so made it a "mechanic", but its still broken no matter what the devs say cause it started off broken but the devs are as bad as the fallout 76 ones. That is top #1 bethesda devs do and say "its broken, lets make it a feature cause we are crap devs and cant fix it"

Not a fan of FFXIV since don't like final fantasy. The world is too linear, too many invisible walls, no exploration, nothing. Too much of a dungeon focused MMO..not my type of MMO cause of that.

EQ2 I love, but not playing any deadbreak games cause they are going down. Expect them to be shut down in 1-2 years. Dead.

Planetside 2 for same reason as EQ2, which is sad cause its amazingly fun

Ryzom is the least populated MMO out there. Its the only MMO I tried where the tutorial area is as dead as the rest of the game.

Asheron's Call Emulator...okay so I play this one too, but not nearly as much as BDO.

SWTOR...no thanks. I'd rather play a singleplayer game than a singleplayer MMO

Bless me that I never was a troll fanboy for it

Wildstar I enjoyed, but its dead now. I'd be playing this if it was still alive

LOTRO...tried this, its okay. I find having to buy every expansion even if you sub to be a rip off. That is one thing ESO has...sub...get everything. LOTRO...sub...and...still buy 100s of USD of expansions. At least ESO isn't freakin greedy like that, sub 15 dollars...get all expansions...A MIRACLE! might be bad devs over there at bethesda, but at least they aren't greedy like the ones for LOTRO are. You sub, you get everything...but nope...not in LOTRO.

And the rest I don't really have any interest in trying or have tried but don't want to or will ever try again, or/and too low popped like Ryzom is.

RemaliMars_OrbitalGdemamimmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• coretex666coretex666 PragueMember EpicPosts: 3,532
    If you dont mean MMO that released this year, then I would say L2 Classic. The first classic from 2015, not the new classic that launched recently.

Why? It is still good old L2 with a few tweaks, but mainly, there is no cash shop. Just a pure subs only server. 

Close 2nd would be vanilla warcraft on pirate...I mean private...servers. 

Why? Same as the above. Good old warcraft without cash shop.

A game where you can buy any ingame assets with real cash stops being an RPG for me, so it does not qualify for "MMORPG of the year".

Legends of Aria is one I played the most this year, but it is so bare bones at the moment that I cannot vote for it. Also I have heard cash shop will be added.
    Mars_Orbital
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember LegendaryPosts: 7,782
    Loved legion the best of any. Loved WoD...

ESO has the worst animations
    Those few words explain why I agree with very little of what you said... except WotLK.

If you like BDO's animations, but not ESO's, there's a problem somewhere I think... possibly of perception.
    Mars_OrbitalGdemamiKyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• ScotScot UKMember EpicPosts: 10,081
    Is the site going to even have an official MMORPG of the year list? I need to tell someone they have got it wrong again.
    Jean-Luc_PicardKyleranMrMelGibson

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Leland, NCMember RarePosts: 4,077
    If it was not for some of the worst PvE I have ever played then I would agree with BDO.

For this year it would have to be ESO.  It had a good expansion in Summerset and all the DLC was well received.  

FFXIV would have to be a second place.
  • kalcakalca ProkupljeMember UncommonPosts: 43
    GW2 for me
    sumdumguy1parpinMars_OrbitalAeander
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 A galaxy far far awayMember UncommonPosts: 1,227
    Maybe the best award we can give is to not give the award this year as a way to voice our displeasure.  Might make a statement that someone pays attention to and starts something bigger.  If I had to vote for one, mine would go to GW2.
    Mars_Orbital
    edited December 2018

LOTRO...tried this, its okay. I find having to buy every expansion even if you sub to be a rip off. That is one thing ESO has...sub...get everything. LOTRO...sub...and...still buy 100s of USD of expansions. At least ESO isn't freakin greedy like that, sub 15 dollars...get all expansions...A MIRACLE! might be bad devs over there at bethesda, but at least they aren't greedy like the ones for LOTRO are. You sub, you get everything...but nope...not in LOTRO.

I feel like I need to point out that subbing in ESO does not get you the latest expansion chapter... so it is not sub and get all. There's no promise that previous chapters will always be included for free when new ones are released either.

And I bought Morrowind.. and Summerset.. and the base game.. which is like $100 of content cost already. If you keep playing ESO and get all the expansions.. you will be spending $100s on expansions. SMALL expansions to boot. So small they had to invent a new term for them; Chapters.

Also, Bethesda didn't develop ESO.

.. and whoever told you that you should ignore renown hearts in GW2.. well, you need to get advice from someone else.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    sumdumguy1
  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INMember EpicPosts: 6,514
    None of the above
    Loved legion the best of any. Loved WoD...

ESO has the worst animations
    Those few words explain why I agree with very little of what you said... except WotLK.

If you like BDO's animations, but not ESO's, there's a problem somewhere I think... possibly of perception.
    Huh? BDO's animations are leagues better than ESO's.
    KajidourdenMars_OrbitalAzaron_NightbladeGdemamiEvilGeek
  • parpinparpin budapestMember UncommonPosts: 202
    gw2 for me as well
    Octagon7711sumdumguy1
  • kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 4,787
    I am a huge Final Fantasy fan and I pick FFXIV.

I would have picked BDO but I played it as a life simulator and concentrated on farming, trading, collection of resources, manufacturing, horse breeding, exploring and my worker empire so as far as I'm concerned I never played it like an MMORPG so I cannot in good conscience pick it for MMORPG of the year.
    JeffSpicoliMars_Orbital

• KellerKeller UtrechtMember UncommonPosts: 570
    call me crazy but I had a few good months in WOW's BFA expansion. Sure, I had bunch of people to hang out with, who could have made any mmorpg fun to play. Yet we all chose WoW to be the game we all would meet up.