Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimchi? WTF.

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
A friend of mine is trying to find a recently released game, but he can't remember the name.  He says it's an Asian-sounding name, but the game isn't Asian.  It's a single-player RPG that people have been giving good reviews.  The closest he could get on the name was "Kimchi."  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Cheecher2

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Kenshi

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

Very good game, granted grindy and really hard. But it fills its niche wonderfully
    mmolouOctagon7711

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    That's the one!  Thanks.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Lol Kimchi.  Pickled ginger is great with sushi but I wouldn't recommend trying to put it in any computer or console. :grin:
    MightyUncleanOctagon7711MrMelGibsonAlmostLancelotAlBQuirky
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    A Steam search suggests this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/409100/The_Purring_Quest/

I realize that you already found what you're looking for.  I just found it amusing.
    ConstantineMerusMightyUncleanOctagon7711MrMelGibsonAlBQuirky
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Aww it's not Kim Chiu

There's a game called Kim on steam but I bet that's not it.
    craftseeker

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I looked at Kenshi i immediately was turned away when i see the graphics/animations.

So i looked deeper and seems something happened along the way,a developer in early access actually continued to put some effort into the game.I never played it but did a bit of research reading to find what i did.

It seems the majority felt when released as EA it was not very good at all...as expected.However now the majority feel it is although still graphically subpar,a very deep and immersive game.From what i can gather it appears to be what all the "survival" games SHOULD have been.
    Has the building,you can hire npc's,you are never a god or hero and are always struggling to survive.
    How well the food/drink idea is done,i have no idea,could be done poorly like most survival games where you need to eat every 10 minutes but idk.

So is it good enough to warrant buying/playing?Well it is a single player game,imo that knocks it down a notch because an open world type game is what MMO's should be and this leans in that direction.The obvious problem would be the tech and design to support itself as a MMO so i feel it is what it has to be.I have tto judge a game based on weather i would buy it and play it,i am on the fence,that makes it a 5/10 however the consensus is that most were going in expecting a 5/10 but felt it was better than the face cover appears to be,so it might be a 6-7/10.

Phry

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited December 2018
    OK, not at all on topic, but years ago my then boss played double bass in a jazz band. He did a tour to Germany before I met him.  He was kind of desperate to find out the correct name for a song he had heard. The best he could come up with the lyric in part sounded like "ich bien ein coffee cup", thirty five years on I am still wondering
    Octagon7711MrMelGibsonAlBQuirkyYashaX
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    OK, not at all on topic, but years ago my then boss played double bass in a jazz band. He did a tour to Germany before I met him.  He was kind of desperate to find out the correct name for a song he had heard. The best he could come up with the lyric in part sounded like "ich bien ein coffee cup", thirty five years on I am still wondering
    I had heard a song once in a party and desperately searched for it for a long time. 25 years later a Black Cab driver was whistling it. He got a tip of a lifetime and I closed another mystery case. 
    Octagon7711craftseeker
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I had heard a song once in a party and desperately searched for it for a long time. 25 years later a Black Cab driver was whistling it. He got a tip of a lifetime and I closed another mystery case. 
    This is the kind of shit you open and close a Tarantino movie with.

First Scene

Camera slowly fades in on dingy LA apartment with very agitated LARRY sitting on couch holding his cell phone.  

LARRY:  What the fuck... how did it go... *whistles tune badly*

SANDY enters room dressed like a hooker and looking impatient.

SANDY:  The fuck is your problem Larry?

LARRY:  I can't find this fucking song I heard last night.

SANDY:  Well they took my fucking license at court yesterday, so I need a ride to Mr. Wallace's house.

LARRY: Fuck it, whatever.  *whispers* Dumb bitch always needing shit from me, but never any help.

SANDY:  The fuck did you say?!?

Last Scene

LARRY sits in the back of a filthy cab pulling an overcoat tightly around his shirt to conceal the blood and brain matter staining it.  He clutches a satchel tightly.  It's raining heavily outside.

Driver:  Maaaaan, it's fucking coming down today.  You never see this shit in LA.  Must be the Apocalypse or something.

LARRY:  Yeah, sure.

Driver:  Alright, I dig it.  *sits back and starts whistling tune*

LARRY seems tuned out and gazing out of the window.  He daydreams about the last 48 hours, reliving all the beauty and horror. but slowly the drivers whistling penetrates his thoughts. He wakes up out of the daze, turns to the driver and says

LARRY:  Wait, wait, wait what are you whistling?

END CREDITS
    Octagon7711ConstantineMeruscraftseekerCryomatrixPhryBananable
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Me: "Alexa, what's the name of that game?"
    Alexa: "How the Fuck should I know!"
    Me: :/
    H0urg1assCryomatrixConstantineMerusAlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Me: "Alexa, what's the name of that game?"
    Alexa: "How the Fuck should I know!"
    Me: :/
    I have been trying to find an Alexa to date only to gift her an Alexa and enjoy all the confusions. I might even settle down for good. 
    AlBQuirky

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'm not trying to argue or anything. But what was the point of mentioning the cab driver was black? Seems like a real arbitrary thing to mention.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Wizardry said:
    I looked at Kenshi i immediately was turned away when i see the graphics/animations.

So i looked deeper and seems something happened along the way,a developer in early access actually continued to put some effort into the game.I never played it but did a bit of research reading to find what i did.

It seems the majority felt when released as EA it was not very good at all...as expected.However now the majority feel it is although still graphically subpar,a very deep and immersive game.From what i can gather it appears to be what all the "survival" games SHOULD have been.
    Has the building,you can hire npc's,you are never a god or hero and are always struggling to survive.
    How well the food/drink idea is done,i have no idea,could be done poorly like most survival games where you need to eat every 10 minutes but idk.

So is it good enough to warrant buying/playing?Well it is a single player game,imo that knocks it down a notch because an open world type game is what MMO's should be and this leans in that direction.The obvious problem would be the tech and design to support itself as a MMO so i feel it is what it has to be.I have tto judge a game based on weather i would buy it and play it,i am on the fence,that makes it a 5/10 however the consensus is that most were going in expecting a 5/10 but felt it was better than the face cover appears to be,so it might be a 6-7/10.

Food is eaten automatically, all it has to be is in your inventory or nearby and pretty sure you can auto eat in food storage. Its the least maintenance required of any "survival" game (but I don't really see Kenshi as a survival game, as much as a hardcore sandbox RPG)

Don't need "drinks", and also don't need to sleep.

You can fast forward time quite a bit, but the map is so huge it still takes ages to travel. 

Honestly, I dunno why more survival games don't let you auto eat. Its like if someone was so dumb that they are surrounded by food but too stupid to eat it and so starve to death. The ultimate Darwinism award goes to that person. That is why I don't play survival games, because the player characters are grade A braindead. Literally braindead characters. At least kenshi your character/squad are intelligent enough to eat...

Anyway I was getting ranty there. But kenshi is more of a sandbox RPG than a survival game. It happens to have hunger, but its the least problem in the entire game and food is pretty cheap (though you'll still scrape by early on and most of the game)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

I'm not trying to argue or anything. But what was the point of mentioning the cab driver was black? Seems like a real arbitrary thing to mention.
    You got it wrong mate. This is a Black Cab. 

Image result for black cab
    MadFrenchiePhryMrMelGibsonmkliniccraftseeker

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

In the UK they are kind of 'iconic' taxi's, you mostly only find those in london now but its what most people would automatically think of when it comes to taxi's. :)
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    Quizzical said:
    A Steam search suggests this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/409100/The_Purring_Quest/

I realize that you already found what you're looking for.  I just found it amusing.
    and a google search for "kimchi RPG" came up with kenshi as third answer =)

guess not everyone is using google algorythms, looking at you here, steam!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Ah, that makes total sense. My mistake.
    ConstantineMerusScot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Phry said:

In the UK they are kind of 'iconic' taxi's, you mostly only find those in london now but its what most people would automatically think of when it comes to taxi's. :)
    Don't they call taxi's in New York "Yellow Cabs" it is how I think of them anyway?
    MrMelGibson
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    Phry said:

Don't they call taxi's in New York "Yellow Cabs" it is how I think of them anyway?
    Yellow Cab is a company name, like Checker Cab, or City Cab, or ABC Taxi.

Remember when "black" was an adjective first, not a racial slur first?
    NorseGod

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I watched CohhCarnage play this the other day. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's for me. I like building games, but sometimes they can be a little too convoluted for my tastes. I'll look deeper into this one :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Lol Kimchi.  Pickled ginger is great with sushi but I wouldn't recommend trying to put it in any computer or console. :grin:
    In Okinawa, "kimshi" is also slang for something else. 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/