Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ELEX, a review so far (best RPG ever)

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited December 2018
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:
    I don't mind hard games at all in fact I love it but is the combat action oriented meaning you have to time dodges and move quickly to avoid some attack or has a timed mechanic where if you do not dispense the creature or boss in time you're toast.

I love taking time to get strong but if I cannot fight I cannot play. I can manage something like witcher 3. Anyone can give me an indication as I've wanted to buy this on GOG.

The early part of the game forces melee on you because your ranged attacks are just too weak to prevent them closing on you and melee is kind of awkward. In the later part you'll only melee if you want to or occasionally in a building with narrow corridors.

But the things you need to do for melee are really no harder than in the witcher; double tap a key to dodge, RMB to block and LMB to swing. There are more advanced melee attacks like strong attacks or combos but you can get away without ever using them and just dodge and LMB for melee. Ranged skills with a bow, magic or one of my favorite weapons, the grenade launcher, later on in the game destroy everything from a distance.

You also get the jet pack quite early and it's used with the space bar. It's very useful for getting out of trouble once you get the hang of it since it does have a limited charge that takes a few seconds to recharge.
    delete5230 said:
    cheyane said:
    I don't mind hard games at all in fact I love it but is the combat action oriented meaning you have to time dodges and move quickly to avoid some attack or has a timed mechanic where if you do not dispense the creature or boss in time you're toast.

I love taking time to get strong but if I cannot fight I cannot play. I can manage something like witcher 3. Anyone can give me an indication as I've wanted to buy this on GOG.

Berserkers are both melee and archery, they believe in rebuilding by terraforming the land back to lush (They seem the most honest) 

Outlaws are Guns and are desert people that believe everyone out for themselves. (they seem to have the best quest).

Cleric's Laser weapons and SiFi, that have their own religion going on. (They seem to be nasty, graphics are not as nice).  

Anyway, three different combat styles that don't vary much. 
    It's a LOT like the Witcher combat (real time swinging and dodging and kiting with bows).  

Most YouTubes recommend changing the target lock in settings, this was mentioned in the OP.

If you play on Easy, its not very hard to win most fights by level 10.  Also, it seems the world is designed to avoid ANY fight and you can explore comfortably ( I've been all around the map).  I'm level 12 and I noticed most harder bosses hang around the good loot, but that's optional for now.  In the beginning you will get some combat related quest, but their easy ones, they seem smart about this.  As I mentioned the combat is easy. 

Just watch your meter on the bottom, when it fills up execute the finisher for more damage. To fill the meter, it's best to not button mash, strike and wait, then again and again before you know it its filled.  You have several companions you can take along. Like an mmorpg, it helps to let them gain agro, and the targets will stay on them while you run away and drink or Kite with bows or guns.... I think it's a LOT of fun. 

Speaking of companions I go a new one Caja. They all have a story quest for you to do, and this one is a love story, the music even changes :)

Fabulous ! Thank you , you two helped me a lot and @delete5230 thanks for the thread I would not have decided to pick this up or else.
    delete5230
    Chamber of Chains
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Great thread and thanks for pointing me to this game!
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    As I mentioned I have a new companion Caja.  I'm helping her with her companion quest, but we have to fight a World Boss and it's a large raptor looking thing that's though as nails.  We took out his minions and attempted twice using powerful grenades and took a good chunk of his life, but still can't quite get him. I was able to save so that's good.  I gain too much agro with the grenade's so I'll try using the jet pack and fly up and let Caja take the agro.  I have to look at my potion inventory too..... Wife is mad at me, so were going out to eat right now :(   

Hay if I can't beat him, I could always come back later, because its a close fight. 

I just upgraded my bow, my two handed sword is weak and I haven't upgraded my abilities very high yet..... So many abilities wants, so little points !
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Got it for 15 Euros on Green Man Gaming with my VIP discount. It's cheaper than on Steam.
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Credit where credit is due @delete5230 you got a whole lot of people into Elex, great! Superb game with that Euro flavor and no hand holding, AA while taking a fair amount of risk with its setting, world layout etc. Again, great!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Credit where credit is due @delete5230 you got a whole lot of people into Elex, great! Superb game with that Euro flavor and no hand holding, AA while taking a fair amount of risk with its setting, world layout etc. Again, great!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I really really care about people.  If I know something I tell everyone.
    edited December 2018
    Don't forget to get the Sun Glasses.... I posted a video on the first page ( 7 tips for beginners). 

And 

Settings>difficulty>close combat focus, set to manual.
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    I picked it up on the Steam Black Friday sale and loved it. It's a brilliant game with great characters and a story that's engaging and doesn't insult your intelligence.

After I finished it the first time (played it through 3 times so far :)) and found out how things got the way they are and what the Cleric's religion is actually all about it was hilarious.
    Wow, how long did it take to play through 3 times? 

Saw your review of the game on Steam btw, nice. Sounds like I'll want to join the faction that plays like a medieval fantasy RPG.
    It takes much longer the first time, of course :) I'd say it's a good 60-100 hours depending on how much you explore out of the way places.

I wanted to try all 3 factions so I did. The subsequent playthroughs are faster because you know where to go at your level and which skills to zero in on. There's one for example, that shows you all the locations of the teleporters on the map. You still need to travel to them to unlock them but knowing where they are helps a lot.

There's another skill that prevents low level critters from attacking you and that also speeds things along.

One thing though... in each playthrough I have found things I missed previously and some of the outcomes, both important main story ones and small, trivial ones, are a bit different depending on some of the things you choose to do or can do based on your cold level.

It's re-playable at least twice for the factions but I'm not done with it yet and will go back to it once my current Diablo 3 obsession is played out :)
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Hmm, I'm debating between this or Fallout 4 for the Steam sale.
    - Fallout 4 is a themepark RPG
    - Elex is a personal development RPG 

What are you in the mood for ?
    I was under the impression that Fallout 4 was more of an open world, sandbox type RPG, no?
    Yes it is. 
    But still a themepark. It's a high quality game where it's all of that. Thats why it will be a classic.

I'll be honest, it's so good I would play that first :)

ELEX finally fell below $20 for the big sale.... One thing I notice with any game on steam.... Once a game drops once, it will drop the same or below next sale :)
    Didn't notice it was less than $20.  I'd pick it up for that for sure.  Just for exploring the landscape, $20 seems an okay price.

Still waiting on my TMNT Arkham series-style co-op game to rule them all, though.
    YashaX

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I looked into this game heavily since this thread came up. But I don't think I like single player RPG's. 

I bought dark souls 3 but didn't play it for long, FO4 didn't play it for long, witcher 3 couldn't really get into it. 

But I got into Skyrim big time. I also got into Divinity II: original sin but that was because of the turn based combat more than anything. 

I was looking at the game and I'm like, ugh, i am not sure I can get into it. 

Either way though, nice passionate post by Delete. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Why was the OP banned?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yeah no, the combat and animations are absolute garbage.  If you're gonna do the third-person actiony combat, do it right or don't do it at all.  I would rather play a well-done first-person only or even turn-based game than the half-assed attempts seen here and in other games.
    Some of the details the OP includes are a little embellished.

For exanple: not all NPCs are important or even have unique dialogue as the OP submits; many are named simply "Worker," "Guard," or some other title and say much of nothing at all.

Animation locking isn't a favorite of mine, but the combat is definitely high enough quality for an RPG.

Octagon7711YashaX

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited December 2018
    After this very glowing review I went and looked at some other reviews and some video. The game has some good things, to be sure, but it's not Tom Cruise jumping around on a couch good as portrayed here.

The combat looked bad. And there didn't seem to be that much combat. The game also can't seem to decide whether it is fantasy or sci-fi. NPC dialogue looked tedious. 

But if you can buy it cheap, there are probably worse games.
    Post edited by Amathe on
    [Deleted User]YashaX

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    edited December 2018
    Amathe said:
    ... but it's not Tom Hanks Cruise jumping...
    Corrected.
    Amathe
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:

The early part of the game forces melee on you because your ranged attacks are just too weak to prevent them closing on you and melee is kind of awkward. In the later part you'll only melee if you want to or occasionally in a building with narrow corridors.

But the things you need to do for melee are really no harder than in the witcher; double tap a key to dodge, RMB to block and LMB to swing. There are more advanced melee attacks like strong attacks or combos but you can get away without ever using them and just dodge and LMB for melee. Ranged skills with a bow, magic or one of my favorite weapons, the grenade launcher, later on in the game destroy everything from a distance.

You also get the jet pack quite early and it's used with the space bar. It's very useful for getting out of trouble once you get the hang of it since it does have a limited charge that takes a few seconds to recharge.
    Dodging and escaping, using the jet pack  works well and for some reason they tend to miss you more when air born.  It also allows you to get out of groups of mobs when surrounded and find spots you can defend from more quickly.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Amathe said:
    After this very glowing review I went and looked at some other reviews and some video. The game has some good things, to be sure, but it's not Tom Hanks jumping around on a couch good as portrayed here.

The combat looked bad. And there didn't seem to be that much combat. The game also can't seem to decide whether it is fantasy or sci-fi. NPC dialogue looked tedious. 

But if you can buy it cheap, there are probably worse games.
    The game has a lot of combat but it also has a lot of long conversations you have to do to get assigned some of the quests.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Nyctelios said:
    It reminds me a lot of Risen, the support mechacnis like people getting annoyed of you entering their rooms. I love it.

Played for a while, having a blast. 

Jut like I thought, the game is rough, but has a lot of cool things layed around.
    Made by the same people who also made Gothic.
    [Deleted User]

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited December 2018
    Well we don't read every thread and the ones we see may have already been edited. 

In the whole span of time I have been on these forums I have been warned once that I recall but never banned  {please don't endeavour to ban me now}. I deserved that one but I also got away with some stuff probably because no one reported me. Generally I'd say it is easy to stay within the rules and maintain some respect for the posters here and might I point out the people who post here should not be treated like pariahs, be respectful or at least don't insult them. However there are some rivalries and snarkiness going on and unnecessary rudeness that one can take umbrage too. Just play nice you know it is not that hard or do what @Gdemami does and laugh at everyone.

Also I don't understand why some of you just don't walk away from a thread when you are losing your temper. I guess being old has its advantages I don't get irritated that easily.

Nyctelios said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Why was the OP banned?
    What the hell... I log in some days and see 4 or 5 peeps just banned and I can't stop thinking "in some dark corner of this site there is a secret thread where people just like fight one another and whoever talks about it gets banned."

YashaX[Deleted User]

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ltldogg said:
    Amathe said:
    ... but it's not Tom Hanks Cruise jumping...
    Corrected.
    That's right. Thanks.
    Ltldogg

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

The OP is definitely a love or hate kind of guy. Mostly hate though so it was nice to see him go overboard in a positive way for a change :)

Amathe said:

The game also can't seem to decide whether it is fantasy or sci-fi.

Superficially it does seem that way but they do a superb job of mashing the genres together from both, a game play perspective and lore.

Why things have turned out the way they have in this post-apoc setting not only makes sense but late in the game, once you have figured out the roots of the Cleric's religion it's quite amusing. That twist kind of reminded me of a very, very old scifi award-winning novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

The OP is definitely a love or hate kind of guy. Mostly hate though so it was nice to see him go overboard in a positive way for a change :)

Amathe said:

Superficially it does seem that way but they do a superb job of mashing the genres together from both, a game play perspective and lore.

Why things have turned out the way they have in this post-apoc setting not only makes sense but late in the game, once you have figured out the roots of the Cleric's religion it's quite amusing. That twist kind of reminded me of a very, very old scifi award-winning novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz.
    It does a good job of explaining why they play so differently from a philosophical standpoint.

I honestly wanna murder every last berserker though, because I'm tired of hearing them complain every time I open my inventory/quest log/map.  I know you dislike technology, bro, but I literally can't find your missing buddy without checking my technologically-advanced map! :angry:
    Iselin

Iselin said:

Amathe said:

It does a good job of explaining why they play so differently from a philosophical standpoint.

I honestly wanna murder every last berserker though, because I'm tired of hearing them complain every time I open my inventory/quest log/map.  I know you dislike technology, bro, but I literally can't find your missing buddy without checking my technologically-advanced map! :angry:
    That bezerker quirk in their city is annoying AF :)

It's nice later on once you've seen the Zerkers in the Domed City and Origin that you're not the only one annoyed by their or any other faction's horseshit and chose to go live somewhere else.
    MadFrenchie

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Watched a couple of vids, the combat looks kind of funky...Anyone that has played want to comment on it more?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Watched a couple of vids, the combat looks kind of funky...Anyone that has played want to comment on it more?
    Not put too much time into it yet - a couple hours or so. 

The controls, along with combat, don't exactly feel fluid. Something is just a bit off with them. It's not a horrible train wreck, but it doesn't feel like most other 3rd person games.
    [Deleted User]