Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Hopes to Tame Overwatch Contenders Chat with Ties Between BattleNet & Twitch Accounts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Hopes to Tame Overwatch Contenders Chat with Ties Between BattleNet & Twitch Accounts - MMORPG.com

Blizzard will be rolling out a new program aimed at taming the sometimes wild chat that goes on during Overwatch League and Overwatch Contender matches. The company will be sending out a test balloon during the semi-professional Overwatch Contenders season. Those viewers who wish to participate in chat during matches will be required to tie their Twitch and BattleNet accounts together. According to Blizzard, doing so should yield "a more positive viewing experience".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Quick game companies, 2018 isn't over yet, there is still time to announce something even dumber than the others and win the prize for biggest blunder of the year!
    ThaharDhamon99VrikaArskaaaScotJeffSpicoliPhrydeniter[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusand 2 others.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    meh, dont really care. only watch overwatch in ****hub :p
    anemoPuReDusTMensurRoin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited December 2018
    This has nothing to do with marketing and keeping all players under one banner then?
    Post edited by Scot on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Who are they fooling,the ONLY thing Blizz cares about is marketing their products.
    LOL....Dota...Fortnite  all have WAY bigger numbers and they don't worry about that stuff.

Pretty simple really,the Blizzard brand has been taking a hit,they have already in the last 2 weeks been putting stuff out there like goofy videos and announcements to try and make them look better.

I do not for one minute think marketing your IMAGE is going to do a single thing for your games and pocket books.Maybe this is also a move to try and keep it looking all "positive"for their investors/sponsors of the leagues.
    People stream Blizz games because they know it means more viewers and NOT because the games are good.Everywhere gaming is all about money now,the products and image matter very little.

I am so tired of all of Blizzard's headgames they play from BS speeches at their Blizzcon about FAMILY gaming to hyping up the crowd to clap and cheer for any crappy announcement like mobile,look at us we do charity,yeah PK Subban does charity and doesn't need to announce it and he is just one person not a giant corporation.PK Subban also doesn't sit his lazy ass at a desk all day like Blizzz execs,he goes out to Hospitols ,he goes out personally to HELP people,recognized as maybe one of the biggest community people in all of sports.

So yeah Blizzard needs to quit trying to market their image and make better games that cater to a more friendly atmosphere.You make games that are driven by anger and frustration and pvp and you will get a LOT of unhappy people,so Blizzard digs THEIR own grave.
    Arskaaanatpick

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    This will drastically reduce chatting definitely .
    Xingbairong[Deleted User]

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Imagine if Blizzard actually put this much energy and thought into their game design ?
    blackthornn[Deleted User]Dhamon99CaffynatedScotMensur
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

kitarad said:

This will drastically reduce chatting definitely .

Logically people would want their chats to be more active even if it's constant crap, but it seems Blizzard prefers their chat to be less lively and the crap will still be there.

That said I guess there is something Blizzard has done right because their stocks in the past couple of days have gone up from less than $44 to $47 atm... still to me this looks like a negative rather than positive "improvement" lol.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    So a company goes the E-sports route, tries to make professional teams with all the divisional tribal bullshit that goes along with it, and then is upset when people who are in competition happen to behave rather impolitely to each other. Seriously, fuck you Blizzard.
    It has always amazed me how much pressure we put on athletes to perform and succeed for us, but then excoriate them whenever they give in to the pressure and do something underhanded to try and help ensure they don't disappoint us.
    [Deleted User]jonp200

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Blizzard is lucky that they have an esports scene at all. After the complete lack of courtesy or professionalism with which they suddenly upheaved their entire Heroes of the Storm esports scene, it should be apparent to anyone with any modicum of awareness that a professional career in a Blizzard game is not a safe one.
    MadFrenchieanemo[Deleted User]Dhamon99SiegeMachinenatpick
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited December 2018
    Meh.. bah humbug even! Twitch and Twitter.. easy to confuse the two.
    Post edited by Phry on
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    First step in removing toxicity from the internet is removing the internet from the toxicity.
    Good luck with that.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    Accoutns.
    ValentinaSamhael
  • SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Activision Blizz... Activision Bliz... Activision Blizzzrrrrr...

Nope.
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    they could just ban toxic players.

chat restriction? pffff... quite frankly, why'd i wanna chat to those assholes?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136
    edited December 2018

Thane said:

Yeah! I said "assholes" once and now i'm banned!

In fact, if the cops hear you say "assholes" in real life, you go to jail!

I APPROVE!

I'll see you in jail.
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    edited December 2018

Thane said:

I APPROVE!

I'll see you in jail.
    In the state I live in it's technically illegal to swear in public.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter8/section18.2-388/

I have a feeling it's more geared towards intoxicated people being unruly, but still!
    JeffSpicoli
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Thane said:

I APPROVE!

I'll see you in jail.

I have a feeling it's more geared towards intoxicated people being unruly, but still!

I've lived in Virginia almost my entire life and never heard of this bullshit.
    JeffSpicoli
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I see no problem. A fair bunch of people have linked their accounts anyway and this toxic shit need to die in a fire.

If people need the threat of a account ban to keep them civil and well adjusted.. Fine. After all there are many chat services not tied to Blizzard or twitch.

Now i personally are more engaged in this from a E-sport angle then a ActiBlizz angle. Seeing as i see projects such as OWL as the first step in getting esport established as something more. Not just sit on the same level as the company softball team and the kids little league. Not saying that Blizzard will be the one to do it, just that they are the one taking the next step. Sure other games are bigger, but not even the biggest e-sport tournament has any real traction outside of gaming.

So if the investors in OWL like to have it so that you link your blizz account to be able to chat. I see no problem with that. Especially as the sort of pants on head stupid shit i see i twitch chat on a regular basis really will not be missed.

Sure i remeber the wild west days of the internet when it was free and the edge-lords roamed the fields. But reality is that it was never going to last. You see you can not have growth and freedom at the same time in this day and age.

This have been a good conversation

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I do not see people rising up about the forum administration here...guess they want some spaces safe and others not.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018

Thane said:

I APPROVE!

I'll see you in jail.

I've lived in Virginia almost my entire life and never heard of this bullshit.
    There are more than a few old, wonky laws that aren't applied anymore.

https://www.rd.com/funny-stuff/dumbest-laws-america/

For example: there's a law in Kentucky that states you can't wear white shoes into a courthouse.  A question pertaining to this law actually appears on stayed insurance tests.
    Truvidien88

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Thane said:

I APPROVE!

I'll see you in jail.

There are a lot of outdated laws from decades or centuries ago.  No one changes them because lawmakers are some of the laziest people outside of campaign season.

But once it's used to convict someone, they will appeal and the law is likely to get stricken and they'll be on their merry way.

Same thing happens with Sodomy Laws, etc.

Technically illegal, yes, but a clear 1st amendment violation; so unconstitutional.

You don't have to swear to disturb public peace, so this would never stand up in court these days.

Totally viable law in Europe though :-P
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    blizzard needs to get a clue and realize that censorship is not acceptable.   
    Kyleran
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    danwest58 said:
    it is not really censorship tho, now is it. Nobody is prevented from "speaking" they just ask that you identify your self as you do. Also seeing that a account is more or less free this is a very minor hurdle to cross. 

Unless you are one of those people who think that it is ok to be a toxic little goblin just because "it is the internet"... If so you are part of the problem. Because that not how society works for the most part in general and western society in particular. 
    WhiteLanternRnjypsyAeander

This have been a good conversation

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    edited December 2018
    tawess said:
    danwest58 said:
    it is not really censorship tho, now is it. Nobody is prevented from "speaking" they just ask that you identify your self as you do. Also seeing that a account is more or less free this is a very minor hurdle to cross. 

Unless you are one of those people who think that it is ok to be a toxic little goblin just because "it is the internet"... If so you are part of the problem. Because that not how society works for the most part in general and western society in particular. 
    People can be Toxic Goblins if they want.   Its up to people to choose not to listen.  Its not up to Blizzard to censor anyone period.   Censorship starts at.  Well Some player started saying stuff like they were on Battlefield V that got them ban for life and then later will include stuff like, Blizzard sucks because they keep making shitty low quality games.   Its like me censoring you because I disagree with something you say.  

Now let me add this.  I understand that blizzard does not want a inappropriate things being said on stream where kids and what not are watching.  Find make it a 18 and older stream and if they want to be Goblins FINE I am good with that.  Just let people know that this person's stream is garbage filled language.   Then its up to you and I to choose if we want to listen to that prick.  I do not accept censorship in shutting people because their Opinions different from what the company wants out there.

Just like a chat filter in an MMORPG works.  It keeps you some saying SHIT on screen if you choose not to but it will not stop someone who chooses to turn that filter off.   
    GwapoJoshDhamon99
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    danwest58 said:
    Bullshit. Chat censorship (either optional toggle or required) has been an important and necessary part of online games from the start. Because uncensored chat is terrible for fostering active gaming communities and affects the age rating and international viability of the game.

And in this case, it's even more justified, because esports players and teams are effectively 3rd party contractors of the company which represent that company's image. Censoring them is absolutely acceptable.
    RnjypsyRoin