Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike's Best Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    MikeB said:
    MikeB said:
    thunderC said:

2.Battlefield V- Is it world war 2, is it the future, Is that woman fighting with a robotic prosthetic arm ? Why is the gameplay so boring? The hell happened to this once amazing series ?

BFV doesn't have any of those customizations, not sure what game you're playing. They backed off all of that. The customization options are actually pretty bland, but I'm OK with that.

I obviously disagree on the gameplay being boring. I've played every BF game since BF1942 and V has the best gameplay out of all of them, IMO. It's just got typical Battlefield bugs to stomp out and "netcode" issues that have inexplicably returned once again.

I'm also just not a fan of the live service structure as I mentioned in the piece. I'd rather see the major WW2 stuff covered with some of the "untold stories" weaved in between.

For me, Battlefield peaked with the Desert Combat mod.  Haven't been able to get into one since.
    That's interesting to me because DC is where I spent most of my time with BF1942. I even played DC competitively with a clan. You weren't able to get into BF2? The DC team helped make that game.
    Yeah, my group (same guys I've played with since DAoC) was in a competitive DC ladder.  We played BF2 (and 3, and 4... and 2021 or whatever that one was) but it just wasn't the same.

I just absolutely loved flying copters in DC.  They just hit all the buttons perfectly with me.. from the littlebird to the Apache... even the troop carriers.  I absolutely loved flying them.

Nice. I flew jets for my clan. Dumbfire missiles on an F16, fun times. Loved the Harrier, too.  Super tricky to fly, but that's why I liked it. DC was crazy impressive considering they didn't have any mod tools, IIRC. I'm still friends with one of the DC team members to this day.

2142 was my favorite in the series and I'm still holding out hope that the next one is 2143. We'll see. I'd encourage you to check out BFV, but if you tried playing all the others and they never did it for you then I don't know that BFV would change anything.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I bought four games this year and only one was released in 2018 so I can't really nominate a best game of the year. There were many interesting games released, ones I might get later on, but I try not to buy games until I want something new to play and have time for it.

I have some great older games with near infinite replay value I go back to a lot so I'm very selective with which ones I buy and try. Path of Exile is the closest I can get to a game of the year since It's a game that received a lot of good content this year.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Conan Exiles. Followed closely by Conan Exiles.
    MikeB

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    In the next life I want to be @MikeB, who I think has played every video game ever and found the good in most of them. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    In the next life I want to be @MikeB, who I think has played every video game ever and found the good in most of them. 
    That's funny. My friends think I hate most of them. :)
    AmatheKyleran
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    DQXI Goty , what an awesome jrpg !

MikeB

Nyctelios said:

Mines, in no particular order:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Minit, God of War, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, Subnautica

Looking back, this year had less "10" games but way more "solid 9, 8" than last year. I still haven't played most of them which could make to my list and some, despite I loving them a lot (like Pillars of Eternity 2), just don't fit in "best of the year" (imo) but are amazing games nonetheless. 

Great list, Spider-man is one I want to play but my time is quite short these days.

The same goes for the Yakuzas and the Fist of the North Star one, which looks amazing.

If it helps any, Spidey is only around 20 hours or so.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Personal list:
    MH:W, Spider-Man, RDR2 (single player only - haven't even touched Red Dead Online and have no plans to as I'm pretty sure it'd only ruin it for me), God of War, Celeste
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited December 2018
    MikeB said:

Nyctelios said:

Mines, in no particular order:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Minit, God of War, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, Subnautica

Looking back, this year had less "10" games but way more "solid 9, 8" than last year. I still haven't played most of them which could make to my list and some, despite I loving them a lot (like Pillars of Eternity 2), just don't fit in "best of the year" (imo) but are amazing games nonetheless. 

Great list, Spider-man is one I want to play but my time is quite short these days.

The same goes for the Yakuzas and the Fist of the North Star one, which looks amazing.

If it helps any, Spidey is only around 20 hours or so.
    Which is highly unfortunate, as Spiderman is one of those rare cases in which I want more chances to play with its excellent combat.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2018
    The most entertaining games to read about this year (in no particular order)

1. BLESS Online (Reason: Hardcore defenders soon became laughing stock of the gaming world. But its okay they'll move onto the next failed MMO and hype it up too. Pretty sure many haters got banned too (if even temporary) for "trolling" but haha they are the last ones laughing)

2. Fallout 76 (its almost 2019 and the entertainment has been non-stop. They even ban modders of the game, the first in any Bethesda made game. All about that cold stone $$$$ can't make money if modders make mods)

3. Atlas (the new kid on the block, released in a pre-development state. While its on the list, it is actually fun...but...Snail releases early access games and abandons them. This will be no different)

4. Star Citizen (the game for whales. I got so many laughs of people buying jpeg images for 1000s of dollars for imaginary ships. Truly a great entertainment game to read about!)

and this is #1, the above are in no particular order but none beat...

#1. Shroud of the Avatar (this MMO will die quick, not even a game made for whales can be saved by this one. This game has been non-stop laughter material. Even with richard's videos that are only 1% game and 99% of him showing his junk around the castle)

FlyByKnight

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Assassins Creed Odyssey. Playing it I can imagine playing fantasy kingdom building/conquest games or a modern day sid meir's pirates! with how it was built. I love the writing and characters in the game too. Surprise crpg hit for me this year.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I dont play many new games a year. But path of exile is obvious for me and i play divinity 2 original sin and really liked it.

Unfortunately that is it for me.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    The best of the best for me 2018

Spider Man
    Far Cry 5
    DQXI
    RDR2
    AC: Odyssey
    Detroit
    Edge of Eternity
    Return of the Obra Dinn
    Octopath Traveler
    Into the Breach

I tell you, 2018 has been an abundance of riches for gamers.

2019 is appearing to start strong as well. Good time to be a gamer =)

Depends on your gaming tastes.  How many of those are MMORPGs? 
    (Honestly I don’t even know a few of those on your list)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018

The best of the best for me 2018

Spider Man

Far Cry 5

DQXI

RDR2

AC: Odyssey

Detroit

Edge of Eternity

Return of the Obra Dinn

Octopath Traveler

Into the Breach

I tell you, 2018 has been an abundance of riches for gamers.

2019 is appearing to start strong as well. Good time to be a gamer =)

Depends on your gaming tastes.  How many of those are MMORPGs? 
    (Honestly I don’t even know a few of those on your list)

I don't play mmorpgs anymore

Is OK, apparently neither do the editors of this site.

:D
    Asheram[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusOctagon7711JeffSpicoliblastermaster

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2018
    Post deleted as editor went haywire.
    AsheramConstantineMerusScot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited December 2018
    My list:

Boundless:  did put a bunch of hours here, and enjoyed most of them.

Opus Magnum ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/558990/  ) :  Fun puzzles, story rewards instead of "loot boxes" are nice, and everything can look so nice when you're done.   Also the way the puzzles are set up, you can just say "screw it" to doing something elegant/clever and just brute force your way out of the problem.

Cross Code (  https://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/ ) : there are some smooth transitions between good puzzles and good combat, both of them are pretty "old school" but they didn't take sacrifices or rigidly follow "old design" blindly.    Will work on beating the last few legs eventually.

Beat Saber...  It's just at that point that I don't consider it an optional buy if you have a VR headset.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

edited December 2018
    My best games of 2018 are...

1) NMS
    2) FO76
    3. EVE

Hey, it's the only three  newer games (or had expansions) I tried this year. 

Otherwise it was all FO4, XCOM1 and maybe one other. 

I swear, some of you folks play more new games (for like what, 2 hrs each?) than I change underwear in a year.

"I wear 'em front. I wear 'em back. I go inside out. Then I go front and back." Fred, BH6.

;)

RemyVorender

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    For me its been a lackluster year.
    Playing some old Mmos at the moment.
    FO76 is the only new thing i tried all year.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2018
    Aeander said:
    Scot said:
    The only game on the list I would query is Civ 6 which shows the series has started to head in an easy mode direction.
    You'll have to be specific for me, as I haven't played Civ 6 (I like Civilization on many levels, but would never have the time or opportunity to actually get my money's worth out of any of them), but streamlining is not always a bad thing and can actually be remarkably beneficial when done correctly to the right parts of the game.

For example, Monster Hunter World streamlined the tracking and inventory management aspects of the game, which allows players to cut down on the least fun parts of the gameplay loop, focus on the meat of the experience, and enjoy more interesting maps.
    The problem for gaming is that "streamlining" is often used as an excuse for making a game more easy mode. You seem to be talking about UI/Inventory changes in Monster World, what I am thinking of is less classes, or pruned Power/skill trees.

The best Civilisation game is Civ 5, there were certain changes that Civ purists where not happy with but over all it is the best Civ. Civ 6 replaced a lot of the strategic thinking you do in a Civ game with some city planning, you have to think about where you place districts more. That in no way made up for the fact you lost tactical thinking elsewhere. Also in Civ 6 you get less than Civ 5 in terms of scenarios, it is not as moddable (or players just can't be bothered to mod it), and less gameplay options.

I nearly forget to mention the cute colourful caricature leaders of nations, but then every game has to be cute and colourful now doesn't it. :)

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Assassins Creed Odyssey, this game really surprised me, got to play it free for awhile, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Not sure I have a best games of 2018.

Recently got back into MWO, and it's still got a really healthy population.  Matches generally take less than 2 minutes to find (and since matches require 24 total players, that's no insignificant feat), so props to them for keeping that game fresh and attractive.  They also keep iterating on the systems, having added a large skill system for each mech that you can use to customize your mech's niche and improve its overall performance by a small bit.

X4 is quickly becoming the solid sandbox space universe simulator it struggled to be at release due to bugs.  They've resolved the station resource issue that prevents the player from upgrading or building new ships already.  It's making rapid progress on those bugs.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    EA loves confusion. We called Battlefield Vietnam "BFV" and I enjoyed it far more than the latest offering.
    JeffSpicoli
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Not sure I have a best games of 2018.

Recently got back into MWO, and it's still got a really healthy population.  Matches generally take less than 2 minutes to find (and since matches require 24 total players, that's no insignificant feat), so props to them for keeping that game fresh and attractive.  They also keep iterating on the systems, having added a large skill system for each mech that you can use to customize your mech's niche and improve its overall performance by a small bit.

X4 is quickly becoming the solid sandbox space universe simulator it struggled to be at release due to bugs.  They've resolved the station resource issue that prevents the player from upgrading or building new ships already.  It's making rapid progress on those bugs.
    I used to play a lot of MWO, is it still really cash shop focused? I remember only being able to get clan mechs in the cash shop. I've been wanting to boot it up again as I have a lot of the cash shop currency due to buying a founders pack back in beta or whatever, but I just can't remember if it was P2W or not.