Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike's Best Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMike's Best Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

2018 has been an absolutely insane year for gaming, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to play as much as I would have liked for variety of reasons, but I did play some things. These were my favorite games of 2018, listed in no particular order.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Asheram

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited December 2018
    5. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
    4. Monster Hunter World
    3. Spiderman 
    2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    1. God of War

All of my favorite games this year were console games, and the three best of them are exclusives (because, surprise, actual effort is put into these).
    ConstantineMerusMikeB
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    My favorite games I played this year:

1. Fallout 76
    2. Magic the Gathering: Arena
    3. No Man's Sky
    RaquisDragnelusAeanderTheScavengerNoxiasKyleranMensurTezcatlapoccaEnik

Joined - July 2004

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Still need to try Spider-Man. Slay the Spire looks like it's worth a try also.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    >A @mikeb article
    >no Star Wars references
    Who really wrote this and what did you do with MikeB?
    MikeBAsheram
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I was happy to see DQXI on here. That game was amazing. I haven't played a JRPG that good in a while now. Im also in the post game which honestly is still like the main game. There is just so much there.
    MikeB[Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
    Making a top 5 list was difficult for me, by the way, as there just isn't that much that I played from this year.

I think it was a phenomenal year for gaming due to some incredible games, but the quality of this year is basically concentrated on fewer, higher quality games this year than last. I think the real issue here was that Nintendo, a real driving force behind the incredible 2017 (with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2), only really had SSBU to show for itself this year.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    The only game on the list I would query is Civ 6 which shows the series has started to head in an easy mode direction.
    edited December 2018
    Scot said:
    The only game on the list I would query is Civ 6 which shows the series has started to head in an easy mode direction.
    You'll have to be specific for me, as I haven't played Civ 6 (I like Civilization on many levels, but would never have the time or opportunity to actually get my money's worth out of any of them), but streamlining is not always a bad thing and can actually be remarkably beneficial when done correctly to the right parts of the game.

For example, Monster Hunter World streamlined the tracking and inventory management aspects of the game, which allows players to cut down on the least fun parts of the gameplay loop, focus on the meat of the experience, and enjoy more interesting maps.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2018
    I feel like you added Battlefield V because EA was trying to forget it existed by continuously plugging how 'great' Anthem will be. Though, I dont get how a game can get on a list when half the baseline features weren't even in the game on launch (it didn't even have PRACTICE MODE available on launch, like really....?). But hey, some people think Fallout 76 is good...
    Scarran
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    TOP 5 OF 2018

1. Red Dead Redemption 2- Game changer in the RPG genre, This is not only my favorite game of 2018 but one of the greatest games i have ever played. Not your typical Rockstar goof romp, this one is a Cowboy Simulator.

2.Monster Hunter World- I'll take shit for calling this a MMO on this forum but without question the top MMO of 2018 so it gets my #2 spot

3.Slay the Spire- Although i had some fun with this one and think its a incredible game something leaves me wanting more out of this one, I can't quite put my finger on whats missing . Either way its #3 on my list

4.Warhammer Vermintide 2- Immersive & gorgeous visuals , gameplay is fast and most importantly its just a fun game to play

5. Conan Exiles- Im not sure when EA started buts its official release date was in 2018, Without question the best Survival MMO Rpg on the market.

My top 3 shit games of 2018

1.Fallout 76- Bethesda decides to take one of their most beloved genre's and take out the RPG while putting the focus on the weakest part of the series, the gun play. But hey its online........

2.Battlefield V- Is it world war 2, is it the future, Is that woman fighting with a robotic prosthetic arm ? Why is the gameplay so boring? The hell happened to this once amazing series ?

3.Madden 19- Once again EA has outdone themselves, Lets add a roster update and slap a few player tattoo's on models and call it a day all while ignoring franchise mode for yet another year. Sad when majority of the football sim fanbase still holds a game from 2007 as the G.O.A.T.

ThaharAsheramMensurEnik
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2018
    Aeander said:
    4. Monster Hunter World
    3. Spiderman 
    1. God of War

All of my favorite games this year were console games, and the three best of them are exclusives (because, surprise, actual effort is put into these).
    If you replace Spyro and Spiderman with Octopath Traveller and Ys 8 you’ve got my list  ;)

Edit: I must admit I haven’t bought Dragon Quest 11 yet, I am pretty sure it would make my top 5 though. You know what, screw it, its on sale atm  ;)
    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited December 2018
    NorseGod said:
    >A @mikeb article
    >no Star Wars references
    Who really wrote this and what did you do with MikeB?
    Haha. If there was a SWTOR expansion this year then maybe, but hopefully next year! Also, Jedi Fallen Order could be pretty awesome.
    Post edited by MikeB on
    thunderC said:

2.Battlefield V- Is it world war 2, is it the future, Is that woman fighting with a robotic prosthetic arm ? Why is the gameplay so boring? The hell happened to this once amazing series ?

BFV doesn't have any of those customizations, not sure what game you're playing. They backed off all of that. The customization options are actually pretty bland, but I'm OK with that.

I obviously disagree on the gameplay being boring. I've played every BF game since BF1942 and V has the best gameplay out of all of them, IMO. It's just got typical Battlefield bugs to stomp out and "netcode" issues that have inexplicably returned once again.

I'm also just not a fan of the live service structure as I mentioned in the piece. I'd rather see the major WW2 stuff covered with some of the "untold stories" weaved in between.

AsheramAlmostLancelotblastermaster
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    the surprise of the year was Two Point Hospital. Can't say I bought any other newly released games.
    JeffSpicoliPhry
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited December 2018
    Mine would be RDR2 single player.

Ok I am removing Atlas from my list as they just did a patch that changed skill points which is hobbling solo play. 
    Post edited by Asheram on
    JeffSpicoliMikeB
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Keller said:
    the surprise of the year was Two Point Hospital. Can't say I bought any other newly released games.
    This did look very good, I might pick this up its 27 bucks on steam. Thx for reminding me  :)
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited December 2018
    Forgot to include this in the article, but I also really enjoyed Frostpunk.
    AsheramJeffSpicoliPhry

lahnmir said:

Aeander said:

4. Monster Hunter World
    3. Spiderman 
    1. God of War

If you replace Spyro and Spiderman with Octopath Traveller and Ys 8 you’ve got my list  ;)

Edit: I must admit I haven’t bought Dragon Quest 11 yet, I am pretty sure it would make my top 5 though. You know what, screw it, its on sale atm  ;)
    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Do it! And I recommend turning on Super Hard Monsters if you like a challenge. The game is a cakewalk otherwise.
    lahnmirPhry
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    MikeB said:
    thunderC said:

BFV doesn't have any of those customizations, not sure what game you're playing. They backed off all of that. The customization options are actually pretty bland, but I'm OK with that.

I obviously disagree on the gameplay being boring. I've played every BF game since BF1942 and V has the best gameplay out of all of them, IMO. It's just got typical Battlefield bugs to stomp out and "netcode" issues that have inexplicably returned once again.

I'm also just not a fan of the live service structure as I mentioned in the piece. I'd rather see the major WW2 stuff covered with some of the "untold stories" weaved in between.

For me, Battlefield peaked with the Desert Combat mod.  Haven't been able to get into one since.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

MikeB said:

lahnmir said:

Aeander said:

4. Monster Hunter World
    3. Spiderman 
    1. God of War

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Do it! And I recommend turning on Super Hard Monsters if you like a challenge. The game is a cakewalk otherwise.
    Awww @MikeB now I’ve just bought it because you told me to (massive, massive DQ here, no worries)!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

I'll eventually get around to DQ11 as well. I bought it for my father's Christmas gift. Though my first JRPG priorities are finishing my playthroughs of Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
    Aeander said:
    I'll eventually get around to DQ11 as well. I bought it for my father's Christmas gift. Though my first JRPG priorities are finishing my playthroughs of Persona 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
    Aww man, thats some quality stuff you’ve got going on there. Enjoy, and might I suggest Ys 8 and Octopath Traveller while at it?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

MikeB said:
    thunderC said:

For me, Battlefield peaked with the Desert Combat mod.  Haven't been able to get into one since.
    That's interesting to me because DC is where I spent most of my time with BF1942. I even played DC competitively with a clan. You weren't able to get into BF2? The DC team helped make that game.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    MikeB said:
    MikeB said:
    thunderC said:

That's interesting to me because DC is where I spent most of my time with BF1942. I even played DC competitively with a clan. You weren't able to get into BF2? The DC team helped make that game.
    Yeah, my group (same guys I've played with since DAoC) was in a competitive DC ladder.  We played BF2 (and 3, and 4... and 2021 or whatever that one was) but it just wasn't the same.

I just absolutely loved flying copters in DC.  They just hit all the buttons perfectly with me.. from the littlebird to the Apache... even the troop carriers.  I absolutely loved flying them.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018