Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas - Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAtlas - Misrepresented - MMORPG.com

ATLAS went into early access this last week, and it wasn’t a smooth show by any means. Red Thomas takes a look at the game post-madness and explores why some of the early reviews may be wrong about the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    the game is an obvious scam. it was supposed to be a dlc for ARK. they didnt even touch the programming.
    KyleranRexKushmanGdemaminycplayboy78NoxiascraftseekerBananablenatpickMegilindirNarmorand 3 others.
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    What you writed in Better Stability is huge LIE. Even now they are doing rollback servers and we dont play because of it.
    Narmor
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    What is it with this site and defending terrible, non-functional survival games based on potential alone?

I know that receiving review code for free leads to a different mindset than actually paying an entry fee, but criticism is about judging what is, not what could be. People were sold this dream game, but they paid for this nightmare. That's the only misleading being done here.
    EponyxDamorAlomarThaharSpottyGekkoInteritusAsmodeuXGdemamiArskaaaRhygarthCaffynatedand 22 others.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    As much as I defend this game.. this new 7.0 patch is a real facepalmer. I'd almost rather them release a paid DLC at this point. SMH cmon devs!
    Alomar
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    The problem with Atlas was nicely summed up by Bill in his last article:

"Atlas is groundbreaking in its scope and ambition, but it’s far from what you saw in that long gameplay trailer, and it’s definitely not quite everything the steam pages claims it will be or should be. "

THEY set the expectations and failed to live up to them.

[Deleted User]Octagon7711[Deleted User]KyleraniixviiiixThaharPhryGdemamiRhygarthCaffynatedand 9 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I must be playing a different game, I am enjoying it a great deal, and I disliked Ark because of its setting and lack of scope. The first 48-72 hours were bad, after that it became pretty stable for me and almost everybody else. The trailer is misleading though, I have to give them that.

As for the Ark versus Atlas debate, Atlas is only 50 times bigger then Ark, in a different setting, with different character development and focus on sailing and ship building, exploration and adventuring. Its like saying Total War: Warhammer should have been paid DLC, or X4, or Street Fighter 5, or FarCry 5 etc. etc. All because their foundation is the same as their previous entries.

Ahh well, nvm. I’ll just keep on enjoying it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    RexKushmanGaladournAlomarMaxBaconAlmostLancelotGdemamimgilbrtsnnycplayboy78Musket-SquidGruugand 9 others.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:

Aeander said:

What is it with this site and defending terrible, non-functional survival games based on potential alone?

I know that receiving review code for free leads to a different mindset than actually paying an entry fee, but criticism is about judging what is, not what could be. People were sold this dream game, but they paid for this nightmare. That's the only misleading being done here.

Atlas - i can see it now mmorpg score 7.0
    Insert metaphor about acne and growing pains.
    EponyxDamorNilden[Deleted User]Rich84[Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
    lahnmir said:
    I must be playing a different game, I am enjoying it a great deal, and I disliked Ark because of its setting and lack of scope. The first 48-72 hours were bad, after that it became pretty stable for me and almost everybody else. The trailer is misleading though, I have to give them that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The streams still show horrible rubber banding with more than 15 people in a given area as well as floating monsters and monsters appearing out of nowhere.  Have also seen people still spawning in the ocean as well as getting stuck and having to starve to get out of the bind.  These are things that can get better.

As for it being bigger than ARK, this is the EVE argument in that just because you put a bunch of empty space between hubs does not make bigger = better.  I love EVE and the scope of it but it is a lot of empty and Atlas is the same way. 

It is good to see someone having fun though and I am sure there are some as not everyone can be negative Nancy.  As long as the developers feet are held to the fire and extremely positive folks such as yourself do not make them think they did a good job for the greater masses.
    Its most definitely in Alpha, then again, I didn’t expect anything else. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This sounds like a pay to play pre-alpha release. It will probably be ready to play in about two years. Sounds like they did get people with that land rush thingy.
    KyleranGdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Aeander said:

DMKano said:

Aeander said:

Atlas - i can see it now mmorpg score 7.0

Insert metaphor about acne and growing pains.

I don't believe they will give it a formal review with a score until it meets their criteria for a "launched" game which includes taking money for it (check) and no more wipes (still open)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

the game is an obvious scam. it was supposed to be a dlc for ARK. they didnt even touch the programming.
    Did you read the article? Red explained how it differs from Ark in several important ways so clearly your claim they didn't touch the programming is incorrect.
    SovrathRed_Thomas

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rifleman223rifleman223 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited December 2018
    I think people were more or less saying the "Ark clone" thing because the UI, the mechanics with grinding, and the general feel of the game alone is more or less an "Ark clone" sure you list how Atlas added variance to that basis, but it really doesn't address the fact that it's more or less a true statement. For example to address that, just go with the simply argument that all games never the less use some form of a base mechanic that's been used in other games, even in games by the same developer, or within the same publisher. That's just simply the point of video games and even extends to art that not everything is new and there's always inspiration off what's been achieved in the world. We all know that there are developers who do in fact purchase other assets from various sources. This just simply turns people off, its not a misrepresentation as it is more or less the appearance of laziness because of the fact that the two appear so similar. Of course atlas can still have the reputation that it's bigger in scope, but that's just one thing, and it doesn't necessarily defeat any of the complaints that were used... Personally the whole pirate game argument where you gotta play it like a survival is not my cup of tea where I would rather be interdicting trade lines, raiding supply depots/ports, or simply attacking treasure ships to work my way up.
    Gdemami
    edited December 2018
    Aeander said:

I believe they try to point out that much of what is written or reported by others is not necessarily accurate, or has changed since first reported.

Sure, most everything one sees has actually happened,  but in many cases no longer occurs and in most cases hasn't happened to everyone.

FO76 has never been the train wreck for me that others claim it is and I'm enjoying playing it every night since shortly after launch. (I did wait a few weeks to let things settle)

Sovrath[Deleted User]Hatefull

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    After SotA, Bless, FO76, Atlas proves that age old adage "there is a player born every minute".
    edited December 2018
    This sounds like a pay to play pre-alpha release. It will probably be ready to play in about two years. Sounds like they did get people with that land rush thingy.
    Bingo,  and why there is a gamer alive today who bought into this expecting anything else than what they got baffles me.

Are people really that naive, just doesn't seem possible but I guess one could still sell them bridges if so inclined.

HeraseOzmodanStrizzy12Hatefull

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    Bingo,  and why there is a gamer alive today who bought into this expecting anything else than what they got baffles me.

Are people really that naive, just doesn't seem possible but I guess one could still sell them bridges if so inclined.

I agree to a point, but I still believe that companies need to be held accountable for misleading consumers:

"Atlas is groundbreaking in its scope and ambition, but it’s far from what you saw in that long gameplay trailer, and it’s definitely not quite everything the steam pages claims it will be or should be. "

Those are Bill's words.  He's not exactly the "Get Yer Pitchforks" kind of guy.  I just do not think it's acceptable to say that consumers should naturally expect a company to use false advertising.  Why do we accept in this product-stream what we would NEVER accept elsewhere?

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The streams still show horrible rubber banding with more than 15 people in a given area as well as floating monsters and monsters appearing out of nowhere.  Have also seen people still spawning in the ocean as well as getting stuck and having to starve to get out of the bind.  These are things that can get better.

As for it being bigger than ARK, this is the EVE argument in that just because you put a bunch of empty space between hubs does not make bigger = better.  I love EVE and the scope of it but it is a lot of empty and Atlas is the same way. 

It is good to see someone having fun though and I am sure there are some as not everyone can be negative Nancy.  As long as the developers feet are held to the fire and extremely positive folks such as yourself do not make them think they did a good job for the greater masses.
    To add, as far as I know ARKs world size is about 50km2 including ocean, Atlas’ world is 45.000km2 including ocean. My 50 times bigger comparison probably still applies even when you take away the “empty” space. I put empty in quotation marks btw because traversing it, ship battles, weather danger etc. etc. are all part of what you call empty, its an integral part of the experience, the adventure. It is still Alpha though and the developers could and should have been more transparant about that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Hatefull

• aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    When will people realize that EA = alpha? smh..
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Atlas isn't misrepresented, it is a SCAM
    Corrupted journalists
    Gdemamigastovski1rifleman223Haki88
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Scellow said:
    Atlas isn't misrepresented, it is a SCAM
    Corrupted journalists
    If you feel that way don't buy it, and move on. It's not corrupt journalists. It's just an opinion. 
    SovrathMikeha
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Atlas could be a good game... one day.

The problem is that the trailer shows you an Atlas that doesn't currently exist.

If the trailer had been a CGI movie with a disclaimer that it doesn't represent actual game play, then it might have been forgiveable.
    MaurgrimPhrycraftseekerHaki88
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited December 2018
    If you look at the trailer and read the Steam page info about the game is not what the game really is.
    Nowhere does it says the game are a survival game where you start out in your underwear with stone age technology to start with.

The game info says a pirate adventure with a lot of exploration.
    When I saw the trailer I thought It really looked like a fantasy pirate game So I thought you start out with basic stuff in a port somewhere where NPCs are walking around, boats are at the docks, NPC ships cruising around, It also sead raid settlements and forts, nowhere were it stated it was suppose to built by the players, so natural I thought the game world were built with NPC villages, ports and settlements and the players live in that world and could also build their own village or port or a fort.

In Atlas everything is player made in a emty 150 man server nowhere was this info stated.

Read the info about Atlas, sure sounds like a living breathing gaming world NOT an emty player made one.

I have no idea what game Atlas are on Steam store page sounds really awesome, it aint this Atlas.
    LackingMMOThaharVrikaMadFrenchieInteritusPhryCaffynatedWaancraftseeker
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Maurgrim said:
    If you look at the trailer and read the Steam page info about the game is not what the game really is.
    Nowhere does it says the game are a survival game where you start out in your underwear with stone age technology to start with.

The game info says a pirate adventure with a lot of exploration.
    When I saw the trailer I thought It really looked like a fantasy pirate game So I thought you start out with basic stuff in a port somewhere where NPCs are walking around, boats are at the docks, NPC ships cruising around, It also sead raid settlements and forts, nowhere were it stated it was suppose to built by the players, so natural I thought the game world were built with NPC villages, ports and settlements and the players live in that world and could also build their own village or port or a fort.

In Atlas everything is player made in a emty 150 man server nowhere was this info stated.

Read the info about Atlas, sure sounds like a living breathing gaming world NOT an emty player made one.

I have no idea what game Atlas are on Steam store page sounds really awesome, it aint this Atlas.
    I was just about to put this lol. Everything about this game is Ark: "pirate mod" yet nowhere did they say that. They made it seem like a proper mmo where you live out your pirate adventure not a half assed knockoff of there own game.
    MaurgrimMadFrenchiecraftseeker
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    It's funny how everyone wanted it now on Steam, but now they are saying it's too soon, not ready lol. No crystal ball needed on how this was gonna go down.
    LackingMMOStrizzy12
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I'm curious the difference between the trailer and actual gameplay. Someone have a good comparison?

I'm curious how it holds up to 99% of other game companies who use CGI and make game trailers that are 100% not game play in any way.