Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much longer do you think this game has?

SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
I cant imagine this game surviving one more year, but Im also surprised that the few whales left keep giving SOTA just enough to keep the lights on month after month

The f2p numbers (at least on steam) are absolutly horrible, they have no hail marys left to try at this point, noone wants this game even for free, they wont get more publishers coming with money after Travian dumped them, the beg-a-thons make slightly less and less, RMTers cant sell their shit for a fraction what they paid, and even the most rabid fans are starting to post doubts in the forums and getting moderated.

So in your opinion, how much do they have left? Do you see this closing in a few months? Or will the handful of whales left manage to keep bailing them out indefinitely?

Comments

• urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    edited December 2018
    My prediction: One of the beg-a-thons in the next couple of months will experience a steep drop-off in revenue, as most of the remaining whales will have either woken up or turned their attention to Legends of Aria.

At that point, there will be even more layoffs and the company will try to spin it and pretend everything is going according to plan. Episode 2 is still coming by the end of 2019, they swear! Perhaps a month later, after the beg-a-thon decline continues, Dorkstarr and Lord Shittish will bail on the project as quietly as they can.
    Post edited by urinal_goose on
    Mensur
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I thought I could be harsh.
    Sheesh guys...
    urinal_goosekryntok
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This game was dead 2 years ago when the developers and P2W crowd started bullying people who were making constructive criticism of the game.  The other players left the game and only a few people who spend large amounts of money are left.  Now they are crying they have no long to play with.   Instead of listening to people who deeply disagreed with the combat system and the cash shop they are sleeping in their shitty bed they made.  It will not be too much longer for this game that is for sure.   
    Thunder073urinal_goosenatpickDhamon99d_20tweedledumb99Hatefull
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    danwest58 said:
    This game was dead 2 years ago when the developers and P2W crowd started bullying people who were making constructive criticism of the game.  The other players left the game and only a few people who spend large amounts of money are left.  Now they are crying they have no long to play with.   Instead of listening to people who deeply disagreed with the combat system and the cash shop they are sleeping in their shitty bed they made.  It will not be too much longer for this game that is for sure.   
    You can get the Christmas Decorations pack for $179.00 and you're still complaining?
    This makes me think nothing will make you happy.
    Sagasaintkikoodutroa8urinal_gooseKyleran[Deleted User]PemminTheScavengerOctagon7711MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonand 9 others.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I can't imagine why people play Fortnite, what do I know about how well this game will do?

I should have taken a couple of ranks of the fortune telling perk.

;)
    urinal_gooseRukushinkryntok

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited December 2018
    ROFL what are you speculating with?  Last Telethon they hit 86k Its not dead at all.  Numbers have not decreased and new players playing all the time.   

Every month they have new content added and next year is the start of what many of us have been waiting on.   Jan has the new Crafting Specializations and new enchants / masterworks for Grandmasters. 

They also have been making a lot of good changes to support casual players and to make life easier.  This last month having a new teleport to Zone scroll which is very much like that of the old runes where you can teleport to any place you have already visited.

Lets not forget Fishing phase 2, Player Dungeons (2nd phase) next will be encounters for them :)

Its not going to die any time soon.  They were talking about Ep2 and the Story being worked on along with them about to ramp up staffing levels again for development of the new content.  If they were in bad shape they would not be ramping up staff or even talking about it. 

People can speculate anything they want but there is no evidence of this ship sinking and every month they are still pulling in 50-100k  its not the whales supporting this anymore ;)

Cheers,
    Xee
    Kyleranurinal_goose[Deleted User]SagasaintPemminLeFantomeMrMelGibsonnewbismxtweedledumb99
  • urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    edited December 2018
    Last Telethon they hit 86k
    Do you honestly think that e-begging is a sustainable business model? 
    Numbers have not decreased and new players playing all the time.
    According to whom? Steam numbers tell another story. Yeah, yeah, people can play through the launcher, but if the numbers are on the up and up, why hasn't Portalarium released them?
    there is no evidence of this ship sinking
    Here is just some of the evidence that the ship is indeed sinking:
    • More than twenty-two thousand Kickstarter backers, and now mere hundreds play. The kickstarter page is filled with literally thousands of comments from angry, betrayed backers.
    • Steam numbers have dwindled and steadily declined. The official "launch" failed to bring in many new players on Steam.
    • The game went free-to-play a mere seven months after "launch." 
    • Beg-a-thons are bringing in progressively less money.
    • Players on the SotA forums are extolling the greatness of Legends of Aria and how it accomplishes what SotA failed to accomplish.
    • The CEO of Portalarium attempted to quietly dump his title, and then when people noticed he pretended it was no big deal.
    • Travian Games dumped Portalarium after they realized that SotA was a dud. This was only confirmed through a third party, not through Portalarium directly.
    Post edited by urinal_goose on
    KyleranSagasaintPemminLeFantomeMrMelGibsonDhamon99
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Xee2018 said:
    ROFL what are you speculating with?  Last Telethon they hit 86k Its not dead at all.  Numbers have not decreased and new players playing all the time.   

Every month they have new content added and next year is the start of what many of us have been waiting on.   Jan has the new Crafting Specializations and new enchants / masterworks for Grandmasters. 

They also have been making a lot of good changes to support casual players and to make life easier.  This last month having a new teleport to Zone scroll which is very much like that of the old runes where you can teleport to any place you have already visited.

Lets not forget Fishing phase 2, Player Dungeons (2nd phase) next will be encounters for them :)

Its not going to die any time soon.  They were talking about Ep2 and the Story being worked on along with them about to ramp up staffing levels again for development of the new content.  If they were in bad shape they would not be ramping up staff or even talking about it. 

People can speculate anything they want but there is no evidence of this ship sinking and every month they are still pulling in 50-100k  its not the whales supporting this anymore ;)

Cheers,
    Xee
    I agree on this one, I was on that last twitch stream.  I can't believe how many people wanted that Dungeon Fishing hole room... I'm not into fishing but I do like what they did for the trophies. 

I did hear in either the Chris interview or Twitch recently on Richard and Tracy Hickman have started on Episode 2.  As well that once that is hashed out they will be bringing back contract world builders and artists.  Not sure if that map they showed of the new islands is the final build or if they are going to change it up.  They did sell out on new Towns 150 of them that right there is $135,000 which is crazy but I can understand the costs for owning a town.  There are some very talented town owners out there that really know how to make them fun for players.
    KyleranWargfootYV
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I gotta ask:  For those still supporting the game, what more would have to happen before you started to question its future?  I mean, do you really not see any glaring red flags?
    urinal_gooseIce-Queen
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    So did new people buy the town plots or did the whales snap them up to own another town?

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I mean, didn't they say they need 50K active players to be profitable?  Do you think these numbers reflect that kind of player base?

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Xee2018 said:
    f they were in bad shape they would not be ramping up staff or even talking about it. 

Cheers,
    Xee
    Well, you're the only one speculating , you have to be blind to not see where this turd is going. You have zero , zero evidence of this ship is not sinking. Zero.   This game has a year max before the final act , so get us some links to back up your words and then I'll believe you. 
    But until then, I will trust the facts.  FYI, when businesses  are bad, you don't declare loud and clear that you're in trouble...Because people will stop doing business with you. 
    Think about it fanboy.
    Ice-Queen

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2018
    Not long IMO, Tabula Rasa was good though, perhaps he should bring back a proper re-make on a new engine :3.

I've also installed the game multiple times just couldn't stay.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Given that they are not owned by an outside publisher like Tabula Rasa was, in which NCsoft closed the game down,

They can keep this game alive as long as they like, for as long as people enjoy paying it.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hard to say,i guess depends on how much a few over spenders are contributing.
    People often don't think wisely,instead the few over spending likely feel this is THEIR hangout,THEIR game,so they will keep throwing money at it to keep it alive.
    Lord Brit is likely even friends with some of these heavy spenders,so would be tough to pull the rug out from under them.
    2-3 years maybe or if the top spenders decide they had enough then maybe in 6 months.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Never underestimate player loyalty.  Players who are loyal to a game or developer, will do all kinds of things to help it out.  Some have worked side jobs for extra money to support games.  It takes a lot for loyal fans to give up on a game and it usually only happens when devs make drastic changes to a game in an attempt to bring in more funds.  It's just how some people are.  They take the game they are invested in to a personal level.
    Ungood

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Xee2018 said:

Cheers,
    Xee
    You realize $50k a month isn't enough to pay my current job salary alone, right?  Much less a team of coders and designers and artists (oh wait- didn't they get rid of the artists?).
    Ungoodtweedledumb99

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Xee2018 said:

Cheers,
    Xee
    You realize $50k a month isn't enough to pay my current job salary alone, right?  Much less a team of coders and designers and artists (oh wait- didn't they get rid of the artists?).
    How are you earning $50k monthly?  That's well within the top 1% in the U.S.
    MrMelGibsonUngoodultimateduck

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Xee2018 said:

Cheers,
    Xee
    I am suddenly really wondering this as well.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I knew I should have invested in pot !
    UngoodPhaserlightOctagon7711MrMelGibson
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
       I dont play Shroud of the Avatar and probably never will,and I dont know enough about this game to know if its dead or not. That being said, I love when people judge if a game is dead or alive by people who play them on Steam. Unless its exclusively on Steam, than that would be the exception. Most mmo that later go to Steam usually never get a large following through Steam...to rate a games value by the Steam number is just plain dumb...I like Richard Garriot he is a legend and i have nothing against him or his game, i honestly still thought it was still in development.
    Ungood

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The game isn't even that bad, just horrible marketing and pw2 along with initial suck that make it impossible to recover. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Xee2018 said:

Cheers,
    Xee
    Lmao!  No, I just torally had a brainfart on what I was reading.

Chalk this one up to poor multitasking.
    UngoodPhaserlightMensur

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Getting dumped by Travian .. is that the definition of rock bottom ?
    Yeah anyways as @Viper482 said, the game is not that bad ... if you compare it to whatever else is out there. If it weren't such a horrible p2w model, it might be worth playing .. I mean it is still kinda shit, just maybe a tiny less shit than all the other shit mmos :P And theoretically it could be worked into a good game still .. very theoretically (not with it's current monetization though).

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Xee2018 said:

Cheers,
    Xee
    Lmao!  No, I just torally had a brainfart on what I was reading.

Chalk this one up to poor multitasking.
    I was about to ask you if you wanted to buy a kidney or something lol.