Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ELEX, a review so far (best RPG ever)

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Elex is a great game.  I find that most of the reviews and post that are against it are because they get killed in starter areas or just random areas by very high level mobs.  They just want to run out and be super human an be able to kill everything.  I like that the mobs are mixed an if you don't pay attention to who you are attacking or getting close to they will kill you.  The game isn't about running in guns blazing and killing everything, it is more tactical in your approach to combat until you get to higher levels at least.  About the only part I didn't enjoy really myself was the melee play.  My favorite faction is the advanced one can't remember the name been a little while since I played it.  They had some of the best weapons.
    d_20
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2018
    I watched that Angry Joe review.  What's disturbing is I like and respect him and his reviews.

So I really had to sit back and "visualize whats wrong with him and many other reviewers".
    Why are they 360 degrees off base !..... Way off target.

ELEX is Fun and engaging (I covered that in the OP) 

Well here it is:
    ELEX is a modern rpg WITHOUT AUTO EVERYTHING !!!!
    Like Skyrim you have to work for everything.  It's a Roll-Playing-Game, no less than Skyrim itself.

Your immersed in the life of the world. You have to manually do it. 

You have two schools of thought:
    -Theme park way Witcher3, Fallout4 
    -Immerse way Skyrim, Elex 
    Difference between the two groups ?.... Their will never be a Nuclear explosion, but focused on character advancement.

Both can be enjoyed. 
    You can chose to "walk" to your destination and be well done, or "drive" in a flushed out sports car and be well done..... Their is no wrong answer. 

I can CLEARLY SEE what Angry Joe did here: 
    He doesn't like the "walk" to your destination style rpg and decided to use the worst of the worst examples to drive his style as fact. 

Here is prof... The Clerics stronghold is God-awful.  It's the ONLY area in the game where it looks  and plays like a 2001 version of a StarWars game and he capitalized on it.  Where the rest is extremely engaging.

Angry Joe has his show going on, he can reach millions of people with his opinion.  But the millions of small guy followers that like the game is just that....small in their opinion. 

I think he likes Skyrim, but it's obvious he doesn't like ELEX esthetics's... He's in a powerful position to destroy things he doesn't like.  
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Has any one played this on a console? If so does it run/control well?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    It got a 67% on Metacritic for a reason, but is currently 60% off on Steam. On my wish list but no need to get it until the discount is even higher. I do wonder how much of the negativity in the reviews comes from the steep learning curve? If you didn't like Gothic this is not for you.

I do note that the score on the PC was higher than the other platforms, but then do I really need to say play on a PC, its always the best? :D
    Phry
    edited December 2018
    Scot said:

I do note that the score on the PC was higher than the other platforms, but then do I really need to say play on a PC, its always the best? :D
    Yeah, I have to be in front of the PC for hours on end so sometimes I like to relax on the lounge when playing games (on my ps4) when possible.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    YashaX said:
    I've played it on PS4 Pro. After several patches most problems went away. You have to be rather good with a controller to be able to use  a ranged weapon, it can be an absolute nightmare if you are even mediocre. But melee is fine. Combat is far from Bloodborne, don't get into ELEX for the action, but just the RPG. Although after I got over the overall clunkiness I liked some of the specials. You have to put a lot of hours into the game before you realize how much you are actually loving it. 
    YashaX
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    It got a 67% on Metacritic for a reason, but is currently 60% off on Steam. On my wish list but no need to get it until the discount is even higher. I do wonder how much of the negativity in the reviews comes from the steep learning curve? If you didn't like Gothic this is not for you.

Or maybe the PC crowd just has lower standards! ;)
    Scot[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited December 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Viper482 said:
    Not a fan of "RPG" games where I am forced to play a specific character. Even the Witcher series turns me off due this this one fact....just my pet peeve stupid crap lol. 
    Well, it's not stupid. I get your point. 

Some games (not Witcher, tho) forces you to go along decisions or "mood" of certain characters that you are locked in to that you disagree with. That can be a real turn off.
    I say stupid because it gets in the way of me enjoying what look to be good games otherwise. 

As for the Witcher, it may not force you into it, but if you know the character it implies how you should answer already. Esp if you read the books.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Hmm, I'm debating between this or Fallout 4 for the Steam sale.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Forgrimm said:
    Tough choice if you haven't played either. They're both good and worth playing.

With FO4 I knew what to expect ahead of time and was not disappointed. With ELEX I was frankly a bit leery and hemmed and hawed about getting it for a full year before I finally did. The lower expectations going into ELEX was part of the enjoyment for me since it was much better that I had expected.
    ForgrimmConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Forgrimm said:
    - Fallout 4 is a themepark RPG
    - Elex is a personal development RPG 

What are you in the mood for ?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:

I was under the impression that Fallout 4 was more of an open world, sandbox type RPG, no?
    edited December 2018
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:

I was under the impression that Fallout 4 was more of an open world, sandbox type RPG, no?
    Yes it is. 
    But still a themepark. It's a high quality game where it's all of that. Thats why it will be a classic.

I'll be honest, it's so good I would play that first :)

ELEX finally fell below $20 for the big sale.... One thing I notice with any game on steam.... Once a game drops once, it will drop the same or below next sale :)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One problem people run into is that you will get quests way above your level and will have to come back to them later.  A lot of people think there's a way to power through it, when they can't, they get frustrated and stop playing.  One hint is that the jet pack is great for evasion and it is sometimes possible to kit a lot of monsters with it or use it to run which you will have to do sometimes.
    d_20YashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2018
    ELEX bug report: 
    I've been playing this game hard for several days. I've been all around the HUGE map.  I've done many quest for all three factions.  I'm now level 12 and constantly have a companion with me to lessen the pain of the hard combat.  Up until this morning I've bee avoiding any fight unless it's a quest fight..... However I'll admit I'm playing it on the lowest setting and still it was hard.  Since turning level 10 this morning, I'm actively fighting everything, and winning more battles than losing, but the robots are impossible at this point.  I'm about to up the difficulty level to normal. I like hard games, but judging by all the reviews, saying it's crazy hard it scared me.  In-hind site It's not near as hard as they say.   

About bugs ?..... I've encountered NONE ! 

About quirky ?.... somewhat !  

About annoyances ?.... Small ones !

Quirky as in design.  Piranha Bytes like all their games are unique in the fact they don't adhere to the normal development, they do their own thing.  Their very talented game makers, but it's like they never played anyone else's...… Now this is not a BAD THING in anyway..... Once you get used to their style it's actually better. 

#1 Dialog, every NPC has something to say,  It's cutseen voice acted.  They have three to five options of discussion to choose from.  They talk long and in detail, if you like lore.  If not you  have the option to right click/skip everything and simply do this until a quest is given. Easy to get out of dialog if you like.... This is unique, but better option than any other game to date. 

#2 Combat, PB has always been accused of bad combat.  However with all their game's, their ALWAYS debunked WITH PRACTICE ! 

#3 Difficulty,  PB will not make an easy game !.... It's like they refuse.  But, it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. I started on easy, I think I made a good choice, now I'll ramp it to hard. I wouldn't want it any other way..... It's real time combat.  It's time to run around and dodge like a nut case :) 

Annoyances 

#1 Quest,  You have quest givers (orange on the map), and the quest itself (yellow on the map).  After you complete a quest, often their are no indications it's complete, and you have to go back to find out. 9 times out of 10 they are done. 

It took about a day to really figure out this design... then later I'm flying through them :) 

#2 Jet pack, A small learning curve using it to scale mountains.  Now it's more natural than ever !  

#3 Ability trainers, I had a problem where I meet the requirements yet nothing.  The NPC would not give me the ability.  Come to find out my jewelry gave temporary buffs to attributes, and they don't count.  No indication telling the player this.

That's it... No bugs, some annoyances. 

Very very immersive <3  
    ConstantineMerus
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    YashaX said:
    I played the PC version on my TV with controller support. It was fine.
    YashaX

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    One problem people run into is that you will get quests way above your level and will have to come back to them later.  A lot of people think there's a way to power through it, when they can't, they get frustrated and stop playing.  One hint is that the jet pack is great for evasion and it is sometimes possible to kit a lot of monsters with it or use it to run which you will have to do sometimes.
    It's one of the things I loved about this game that brought me back to Morrowind days. You can figure out ways to do tough quests that are above your level and reap the rewards.
    Octagon7711

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited December 2018
    First let me say ELEX is not broken….
    Why do you have to even mention it?
    It reminds me old simpson "Realty Bites" episode. When Marge becomes a real estate agent.
    "It's awfully small.
     I'd say it's awfully cozy."   :D

It's simply hard.
    You mean difficult? Because of stupid cluster f outdated combat animations?  

It's genius.
    LOLZ I agree, this game has SOFT toilet paper! Onwards, you must loot all that junk! (Dont forget unusable first aid kit, no, its not like F4. Its TREASURE!)

Smartest RPG I've ever played. 
    Dont be harsh on yourself.

I've been wanting this game since release, Only to be held back by fixing.  Come to find out nothing is wrong
    Why is it need to be fixed, you just said its not broken? Also did you bought it on sale, or paid full pirce? 
    I've also held back because of boring beginning, can't fight anything.  It's actually exciting
    Have you ever played other rpgs before, not all of them about fighting. Its what kids usually want, just brainlessly smash buttons.
    (This is why i dont like Tyranny, sadly but Age of Decadence isnt for me iether.)
    Skyrim quality !!! It's open world, DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT, quality progression of character, story behind everything, fantastic graphics.  Better than meaningful combat, I'll cover that last.
    What? Apparently not only youve never played other Piranha Bytes games, but you also havent played anything before Skyrim in Elder scrolls series? Seriosly? Skyrim is not an rpg, its for kids to play with mods. Fantastic graphics in skyrim? LOLZ.
    You start off with nothing, yes your helpless.  You meet a guy named Duras that will lead you to the first town of Berserkers  headquarters.  
    Well thats not fully correct, you lose what all you had, but you have background story. And also dont have to go to berserkers with him. Plus game just slap you with stupid tutorial.

Decide to do his task, walk the town, talk to the main guy... There is no wrong answer (Skyrim).
    No...First of all its like in every game - you are an errand boy. Second there are choises (stat check) here, skyrim has none.

I was lead to believe the beginning was boring... builds your reputation and advances you character right from the start
    HOLY COW, INNOVATION! ITS NOT LIKE THAT ALREADY WAS IN OTHER GAMES. (Even your skyrim for example.)

I was to sneak in and steal it when she was off guard.  Well Rat Man double crossed me and turned me in.  I was pissed and went to kill him.  
    See and you call this game amazing, but theres only one way - you always get caught, because its a linear story. Can you even kill him?
    This is what you get in the so called boring beginning.
    Um, I think that was you.
    Sure, your weak as hell.  You have almost nothing.   The combat IS NOT BROAKEN.... You can't button mash.  I watched one YouTube that explains the simple problem where people refuse to digest.  It has a DarkSouls feel to it, but not quite so hard.    Button mashing ?....
    Yep, its not like we were super awesome fearless ruthless terminator before...aha. Innvation strikes again, its not like in every other game. Aha. Dark souls? I see the problem now. No comments.
    Why didnt you also checked Risen (What gothic, never heard of it :P) games then? You wouldnt repeat "combat is broken" that much. 
    Progression of character: It's all about molding your character to how you want to play.  It combines attribute spending with weapon choices, you must spend wisely or you can't equip. spend more points to use better and better stuff....
    They made it that way so on your sencond playthrough you can choose other weapons, skills etc...Like in other games.
    I was faced with a major question, How do I spend attribute and weapon points when I don't know my faction yet ?
    See another problem, because this game is too small, linear and obvious. I DONT WANNA JOIN ANY FACTION! That is MY choise, RPG is all about YOUR choises they say. Is it possible? According to steam forums -no.  

"Important: 
    1) F76 is not broken. I ignored all opinion to decide first hand.  What I thought was broken was soon dismissed with practice. EVERYTHING !  
    2) It's a hard tactful game... More so than any other RPG ever played. 
    3) IT IS NOT BORING... every YouTube, every review, every walkthrough gives a false impression.  Even the great fan's can't generate the real action and fun you will have. 
    It has to be played to understand !"

LOLZ
    I played Risen back in 2009 it was fun. I also played Arcania a lil. I liked it too but never finished. Risen 2 was badly optimized, and when risen 3 came out I was more into MMOs. But Elex looks the same, and cost like witcher 3. LOLZ 
    I dont like Elex combat, because they added stamina (do enemies have it too? I doubt it) and (almost) every enemy have infinite ranged high dmg attacks (plus dot) now. It looks like they added jetpack in last minute and to balance combat they gave enemies that stupid ability. 
    I like Nasty, so friendly. I like Caja story. And that singing lil girl voice. Creepy.  :P
    killerqueerdelete5230
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2018
    d_20 said:
    It's one of the things I loved about this game that brought me back to Morrowind days. You can figure out ways to do tough quests that are above your level and reap the rewards.
    It's probably why I like this game so much.  I love taking low level characters to high level zones to explore and marking teleports and such in MMOs.
    d_20

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Bananable said:
    First let me say ELEX is not broken….
    Why do you have to even mention it?
    It reminds me old simpson "Realty Bites" episode. When Marge becomes a real estate agent.
    "It's awfully small.
     I'd say it's awfully cozy."   :D

It's simply hard.
    You mean difficult? Because of stupid cluster f outdated combat animations?  

It's genius.
    LOLZ I agree, this game has SOFT toilet paper! Onwards, you must loot all that junk! (Dont forget unusable first aid kit, no, its not like F4. Its TREASURE!)

Smartest RPG I've ever played. 
    Dont be harsh on yourself.

I've been wanting this game since release, Only to be held back by fixing.  Come to find out nothing is wrong
    Why is it need to be fixed, you just said its not broken? Also did you bought it on sale, or paid full pirce? 
    I've also held back because of boring beginning, can't fight anything.  It's actually exciting
    Have you ever played other rpgs before, not all of them about fighting. Its what kids usually want, just brainlessly smash buttons.
    (This is why i dont like Tyranny, sadly but Age of Decadence isnt for me iether.)
    Skyrim quality !!! It's open world, DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT, quality progression of character, story behind everything, fantastic graphics.  Better than meaningful combat, I'll cover that last.
    What? Apparently not only youve never played other Piranha Bytes games, but you also havent played anything before Skyrim in Elder scrolls series? Seriosly? Skyrim is not an rpg, its for kids to play with mods. Fantastic graphics in skyrim? LOLZ.
    You start off with nothing, yes your helpless.  You meet a guy named Duras that will lead you to the first town of Berserkers  headquarters.  
    Well thats not fully correct, you lose what all you had, but you have background story. And also dont have to go to berserkers with him. Plus game just slap you with stupid tutorial.

Decide to do his task, walk the town, talk to the main guy... There is no wrong answer (Skyrim).
    No...First of all its like in every game - you are an errand boy. Second there are choises (stat check) here, skyrim has none.

I was lead to believe the beginning was boring... builds your reputation and advances you character right from the start
    HOLY COW, INNOVATION! ITS NOT LIKE THAT ALREADY WAS IN OTHER GAMES. (Even your skyrim for example.)

I was to sneak in and steal it when she was off guard.  Well Rat Man double crossed me and turned me in.  I was pissed and went to kill him.  
    See and you call this game amazing, but theres only one way - you always get caught, because its a linear story. Can you even kill him?
    This is what you get in the so called boring beginning.
    Um, I think that was you.
    Sure, your weak as hell.  You have almost nothing.   The combat IS NOT BROAKEN.... You can't button mash.  I watched one YouTube that explains the simple problem where people refuse to digest.  It has a DarkSouls feel to it, but not quite so hard.    Button mashing ?....
    Yep, its not like we were super awesome fearless ruthless terminator before...aha. Innvation strikes again, its not like in every other game. Aha. Dark souls? I see the problem now. No comments.
    Why didnt you also checked Risen (What gothic, never heard of it :P) games then? You wouldnt repeat "combat is broken" that much. 
    Progression of character: It's all about molding your character to how you want to play.  It combines attribute spending with weapon choices, you must spend wisely or you can't equip. spend more points to use better and better stuff....
    They made it that way so on your sencond playthrough you can choose other weapons, skills etc...Like in other games.
    I was faced with a major question, How do I spend attribute and weapon points when I don't know my faction yet ?
    See another problem, because this game is too small, linear and obvious. I DONT WANNA JOIN ANY FACTION! That is MY choise, RPG is all about YOUR choises they say. Is it possible? According to steam forums -no.  

"Important: 
    1) F76 is not broken. I ignored all opinion to decide first hand.  What I thought was broken was soon dismissed with practice. EVERYTHING !  
    2) It's a hard tactful game... More so than any other RPG ever played. 
    3) IT IS NOT BORING... every YouTube, every review, every walkthrough gives a false impression.  Even the great fan's can't generate the real action and fun you will have. 
    It has to be played to understand !"

LOLZ
    I played Risen back in 2009 it was fun. I also played Arcania a lil. I liked it too but never finished. Risen 2 was badly optimized, and when risen 3 came out I was more into MMOs. But Elex looks the same, and cost like witcher 3. LOLZ 
    I dont like Elex combat, because they added stamina (do enemies have it too? I doubt it) and (almost) every enemy have infinite ranged high dmg attacks (plus dot) now. It looks like they added jetpack in last minute and to balance combat they gave enemies that stupid ability. 
    I like Nasty, so friendly. I like Caja story. And that singing lil girl voice. Creepy.  :P
    Nice little rant... I'll not destroy this like I could easily do :) 

Instead I'll be pro-active ! 
    What I'm doing here is offering an alternative.  mmorpgs have been stale for several years.  Most everyone had played all the Mainstream RPG's. 

ELEX is a controversial game that flies under the radar that has been given a bad rap.  It's been displayed as a broken impossible game, when it's simply different.  

DIFFERENT IN A GOOD WAY 

Piranha Bytes games are unique and not broken, I can't speak for everyone, some are very old.  Their unique with a good style where if we didn't have a standard in place,  IT could be the standard and would be excepted.  Our current standard would then be the broken impossible style. 

A poster above asked this or Fallout 4 ?  
    This set me back.  I wasn't expecting a question like that. 

I had no choice but to say Fallout 4..... I would also say the same for games like The Witcher 3 or the FarCry series.  They are top dollar Triple A games where millions are invested to give years of content..... ELEX is under the assumption everyone has already done the Mainstream thing. 

Now with all that.... I still stand by my topic "best rpg ever".  The character development is the best ever in the way you build yourself from weak to strong.  It's like a small child growing to be an adult.  It does that better than the multi million Triple A's   

@Bananable ;
    What do you offer to this community ? 
    Lets be pro-active ;)
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited December 2018
    I don't mind hard games at all in fact I love it but is the combat action oriented meaning you have to time dodges and move quickly to avoid some attack or has a timed mechanic where if you do not dispense the creature or boss in time you're toast.

I love taking time to get strong but if I cannot fight I cannot play. I can manage something like witcher 3. Anyone can give me an indication as I've wanted to buy this on GOG.

Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    d_20 said:
    YashaX said:
    I played the PC version on my TV with controller support. It was fine.
    If you must use a sub-standard way of controlling your games on the PC so be it. :D
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    cheyane said:
    I don't mind hard games at all in fact I love it but is the combat action oriented meaning you have to time dodges and move quickly to avoid some attack or has a timed mechanic where if you do not dispense the creature or boss in time you're toast.

I love taking time to get strong but if I cannot fight I cannot play. I can manage something like witcher 3. Anyone can give me an indication as I've wanted to buy this on GOG.

The early part of the game forces melee on you because your ranged attacks are just too weak to prevent them closing on you and melee is kind of awkward. In the later part you'll only melee if you want to or occasionally in a building with narrow corridors.

But the things you need to do for melee are really no harder than in the witcher; double tap a key to dodge, RMB to block and LMB to swing. There are more advanced melee attacks like strong attacks or combos but you can get away without ever using them and just dodge and LMB for melee. Ranged skills with a bow, magic or one of my favorite weapons, the grenade launcher, later on in the game destroy everything from a distance.

You also get the jet pack quite early and it's used with the space bar. It's very useful for getting out of trouble once you get the hang of it since it does have a limited charge that takes a few seconds to recharge.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

cheyane said:

Berserkers are both melee and archery, they believe in rebuilding by terraforming the land back to lush (They seem the most honest) 

Outlaws are Guns and are desert people that believe everyone out for themselves. (they seem to have the best quest).

Cleric's Laser weapons and SiFi, that have their own religion going on. (They seem to be nasty, graphics are not as nice).  

Anyway, three different combat styles that don't vary much. 
    It's a LOT like the Witcher combat (real time swinging and dodging and kiting with bows).  

Most YouTubes recommend changing the target lock in settings, this was mentioned in the OP.

If you play on Easy, its not very hard to win most fights by level 10.  Also, it seems the world is designed to avoid ANY fight and you can explore comfortably ( I've been all around the map).  I'm level 12 and I noticed most harder bosses hang around the good loot, but that's optional for now.  In the beginning you will get some combat related quest, but their easy ones, they seem smart about this.  As I mentioned the combat is easy. 

Just watch your meter on the bottom, when it fills up execute the finisher for more damage. To fill the meter, it's best to not button mash, strike and wait, then again and again before you know it its filled.  You have several companions you can take along. Like an mmorpg, it helps to let them gain agro, and the targets will stay on them while you run away and drink or Kite with bows or guns.... I think it's a LOT of fun. 

Speaking of companions I go a new one Caja. They all have a story quest for you to do, and this one is a love story, the music even changes :)
    Iselin said:
    I picked it up on the Steam Black Friday sale and loved it. It's a brilliant game with great characters and a story that's engaging and doesn't insult your intelligence.

After I finished it the first time (played it through 3 times so far :)) and found out how things got the way they are and what the Cleric's religion is actually all about it was hilarious.
    Wow, how long did it take to play through 3 times? 

Saw your review of the game on Steam btw, nice. Sounds like I'll want to join the faction that plays like a medieval fantasy RPG.