Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam is offering Atlas refunds even if you played more than 2 hours

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,142
As posted on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/a9di0c/steam_is_now_refunding_people_for_atlas_even_if/

Just a heads up for those regretting the purchase and over 2h played
«1

Comments

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,043
    Why would someone even try to get a refund after playing for 8 hours?  That seems... odd.
    kertinScotYashaXAeander

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

    Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

    Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

    "Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

    My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,835
    As someone who play 10 hours I jumped on this. This game is a shameless ark skin and as someone who didn't like ark I was very angry. The trailers looked so different. With massive boss battles and the like. Will never buy anything from this company again. With that 27 dollars after tax I am going to buy Final Fantasy 12 instead
    GdemamiRexKushman
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,706
    Lol, following in the footsteps of Bless Online with that... not a promising start...
    wingood

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is 99% of the game industry right now


    mmolou

    My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

    https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul



  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,822
    This is 99% of the game industry right now


    You mean where the customer plays a game for 10+ hours and then decides to refund because of issues? In an EA title specifically stating its not finished?

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TheScavengerScotCayleraYashaXAeander
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    lahnmir said:
    This is 99% of the game industry right now


    You mean where the customer plays a game for 10+ hours and then decides to refund because of issues? In an EA title specifically stating its not finished?

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The quote fits both the companies and people

    Industry going after quick money (other examples are that ultima online guy making a literal cash grab for whales. And fallout 76)

    But also the gamers that take part in the game industry that where its the now overreact whiny baby culture that dominates even outside of gaming when things aren't 100% perfect or things don't go their way and they have a tantrum.
    SBFordlahnmirScotAzaron_NightbladeCayleraYashaXmmolouMadFrenchieThaharwingood

    My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

    https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul



  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    lahnmir said:
    This is 99% of the game industry right now
    You mean where the customer plays a game for 10+ hours and then decides to refund because of issues? In an EA title specifically stating its not finished?

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Regardless of what it's called, a company sold something for a certain price. If they are willing to offer refunds beyond a predetermined standard they obviously think they missed the mark for what they charged. I'm also going to assume they expect their product to be worth more than 10 hours of entertainment.... hopefully.

    I am glad to see that customers are advocating for themselves. Early Access these days typically means, "We aren't finished with the game yet but would like to get paid for it now. We know you don't like to wait for things so we'll sell it to you now. Cool?"

    I understand people willingly paid for an incomplete product so they can't complain if it's incomplete. In this case with Atlas it seems to be a bit different and even the devs agree.
    MadFrenchie
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,984
    lahnmir said:
    This is 99% of the game industry right now


    You mean where the customer plays a game for 10+ hours and then decides to refund because of issues? In an EA title specifically stating its not finished?

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Or perhaps its just Steam recognising where there is a problem and doing what they can to help rectify it.
    Perhaps you should be more concerned with why Steam would feel its necessary to provide a specific exemption to the 2 hour refund limit, they are a business after all and this loses them money too. ;)
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,454
    lahnmir said:
    You mean where the customer plays a game for 10+ hours and then decides to refund because of issues? In an EA title specifically stating its not finished?

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Steam only gives refunds for games played less than 2 hours precisely because of this reason.

    Ergo it also stands to reason that for them to make an exception to this policy, someone else dun gone and fudged up...
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,822
    edited December 2018
    I do feel its a knee jerk reaction from Steam, making exceptions to their own policy and thereby undermining it. I don’t think they should have done it, else both customers AND developers will never learn.

    Edit: I also find it ridiculous that developers get blamed for the stupidity of their customers and their inability to read. As for the product itself, Atlas is in very rough shape, Alpha state to be precise. Its perfectly playable though.
      
    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFordCayleraYashaXbwwianakievRexKushman
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,124
    I think this should be the standard for all early access games

    Tawess gaming

    Tawess soapbox

    This have been a good conversation

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,732
    I don't think the policy should be changed, people need to learn what an EA means.
    lahnmirSBFordCayleraYashaXThaharRexKushman

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,007
    lahnmir said:
    I do feel its a knee jerk reaction from Steam, making exceptions to their own policy and thereby undermining it. I don’t think they should have done it, else both customers AND developers will never learn.

    Edit: I also find it ridiculous that developers get blamed for the stupidity of their customers and their inability to read. As for the product itself, Atlas is in very rough shape, Alpha state to be precise. Its perfectly playable though.
      
    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Developers get blamed for the stupidity because its their mistake. A generic disclaimer doesn't give them a free pass.

    People buy into early access because games can be a lot of fun even though they are unfinished. If its in such a rough shape that majority of early access consumers can't have fun in the game it shouldn't be sold this early in the first place.

    They promoted this one at The Game Awards to maximize the attention and they rushed into early access right before the holidays. If they had spent another month improving the game they would never have gotten this reaction.


    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    I'm not sure how exactly Steam measures the playing time and have no idea how Atlas did launch but is it possible that people were stuck in the menus trying to connect to the servers therefore exceeded the 2 hours limit before even playing the game?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,435
    The policy is ONLY following the laws laid out by certain jurisdictions,Valve is not doing anyone any favors.
    The ONLY reason Vale added these new policies is because they were sued by Australian courts as well forced by New Zealand courts to honor THEIR laws and NOT Steams.

    Sadly all else reside under the jurisdiction of the EU union or  Washington State USA.

    What is missing and proves how inept the governing bodies are at least outside of Australia is that after the 14 days are up,your SCREWED.This slack kind of law leaves it to open season against consumers to change TOS and remove ALL of your rights.It is good to see that at least the Australian government saw fit to not allow Steam and others walk all over consumers.

    You will clearly see in the contract with Steam the notable differences if in Australia,NZ,European Union.They also made sure to fit in every protection they can muster like changing the tos at any time meaning TOO BAD,it is past your 14 days or 2 hours for a refund.

    There is no way in hell that consumers are being treated fairly by businesses,my only assumption is governments don't want refunds,they want TAX money ,spend spend spend.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,822
    Shaigh said:
    lahnmir said:
    I do feel its a knee jerk reaction from Steam, making exceptions to their own policy and thereby undermining it. I don’t think they should have done it, else both customers AND developers will never learn.

    Edit: I also find it ridiculous that developers get blamed for the stupidity of their customers and their inability to read. As for the product itself, Atlas is in very rough shape, Alpha state to be precise. Its perfectly playable though.
      
    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Developers get blamed for the stupidity because its their mistake. A generic disclaimer doesn't give them a free pass.

    People buy into early access because games can be a lot of fun even though they are unfinished. If its in such a rough shape that majority of early access consumers can't have fun in the game it shouldn't be sold this early in the first place.

    They promoted this one at The Game Awards to maximize the attention and they rushed into early access right before the holidays. If they had spent another month improving the game they would never have gotten this reaction.


    So if developers give people the option to play an unfinished game those same people can blame said developers because the game is “too unfinished?” That does not make one bit of sense.

    EA can be anything, from pre alpha to open Beta. Jumping in day one is a gamble, not for the developer but for the consumer. You can’t fix stupid, you also aren’t responsible for it. Never has it been stated anywhere that an EA title had to be in a specific state or shape, gamers just wanted that to warrant their purchase. All this outrage about Atlas is only because its a high profile title, Wolcen, the Black Death and Project Genom all released in a similar state for example, where was Steam offering refunds then?

    As for the time of release, I think releasing your EA title during the Steam Sale period equals commercial suicide unless you are VERY certain of your product. Doing it for a quick buck would be very dumb with everybody clearing out their wishlists with 50% discount.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    parrotpholk
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I don't see Atlas recovering from this unless they halt sales, improve the product, and then reopen in a month or two. This would show an investment in quality and customer satisfaction, and image for them is really important right now. It doesn't matter if they state, "Hey, it's early access folks." The amount of negative reviews and press they have right now is staggering.
    RexKushman
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,865
    edited December 2018
    lol of course Atlas will recover from this, this is just initial MMO launch rage and triggered people over the Ark bit.

    We've been playing and already setup initial base and claims, built shipyard and will start exploring, the initial major problems with servers are mitigated now, pings and such much better.

    The PVP servers will need more attention, especially because the damn Chinese already found dupe exploits and the game is in danger of some sort of wipe I'd say.


    But Jesus some people are quite entitled, game has issues but going on a rampage at the developers like they have not bought one Early Access title is rather crazy. Ark went through the same thing too, it had a quite a worse launch than Atlas, but that was when review bombing wasn't such a common practice.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The review bombing wont matter in the long run. As the game gets better so will the reviews and steam puts way more into recent reviews then overall reviews when it comes to weighting in the system.

    As far as the state of the game. Over the last week things have gotten way better. Its still ALONG ways from being a game the masses will enjoy and play. But for people that loved ARK its another step and evolution to that system. Once all the server crashes are cleaned up (already way better then launch) that can keep pushing that 150+ cap per zone up. They always have the option of adding more zones as the way its currently setup allows for easy additions of zones to the world.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,211
    MaxBacon said:
    lol of course Atlas will recover from this, this is just initial MMO launch rage and triggered people over the Ark bit.

    We've been playing and already setup initial base and claims, built shipyard and will start exploring, the initial major problems with servers are mitigated now, pings and such much better.

    The PVP servers will need more attention, especially because the damn Chinese already found dupe exploits and the game is in danger of some sort of wipe I'd say.


    But Jesus some people are quite entitled, game has issues but going on a rampage at the developers like they have not bought one Early Access title is rather crazy. Ark went through the same thing too, it had a quite a worse launch than Atlas, but that was when review bombing wasn't such a common practice.
    The point is that the game trailer you saw and the info on Steam what the game is all about are not the game you play.
    When I read and saw the trailer i was intrigued, but instead the world was emty and you started out basically naked aka survival game.


  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,142
    edited December 2018
    Maurgrim said:
    MaxBacon said:
    lol of course Atlas will recover from this, this is just initial MMO launch rage and triggered people over the Ark bit.

    We've been playing and already setup initial base and claims, built shipyard and will start exploring, the initial major problems with servers are mitigated now, pings and such much better.

    The PVP servers will need more attention, especially because the damn Chinese already found dupe exploits and the game is in danger of some sort of wipe I'd say.


    But Jesus some people are quite entitled, game has issues but going on a rampage at the developers like they have not bought one Early Access title is rather crazy. Ark went through the same thing too, it had a quite a worse launch than Atlas, but that was when review bombing wasn't such a common practice.
    The point is that the game trailer you saw and the info on Steam what the game is all about are not the game you play.
    When I read and saw the trailer i was intrigued, but instead the world was emty and you started out basically naked aka survival game.



    But the Early Access trailer is exactly like the actual game...

    Ehm...






    How many people bought the game based on that trailer?

    Hmm....maybe it took some people 10 hours to realize that the trailer was a lie
    PhryWaanAeliousTrolldefender99poorbaby
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,865
    Maurgrim said:
    The point is that the game trailer you saw and the info on Steam what the game is all about are not the game you play.
    When I read and saw the trailer i was intrigued, but instead the world was emty and you started out basically naked aka survival game.
    DMKano said:
    T
    But the Early Access trailer is exactly like the actual game...

    Ehm...

    But the trailer is like the game, the fact is a lot of the content shown there are NOT early game features, the early game of Atlas is much resembling of Ark, only after you build a pier and build proper boat then you start getting to the exploration part, up to hiring NPC crew, etc.. etc...

    Have a go at that is rather petty. I have been on bits like the boat naval on a galleon that was spawned by the devs before the full release and it plays around that, it's quite fun and also caotic to get ahold of everything from manning weapons, boarding and getting boarded, repairing, etc... xD
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,142
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:

    But the trailer is like the game, the fact is a lot of the content shown there are NOT early game features, the early game of Atlas is much resembling of Ark



    "Much resembling" lol....
    the game is literally ARK - dlc Ocean

    Atlas = Ark:Ocean

    Also what you failed to see is insane rubberbanding and game being unplayable - how did you miss that in the video I linked hehe


    PhryWaanTrolldefender99poorbaby
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,771
    lahnmir said:
    I do feel its a knee jerk reaction from Steam, making exceptions to their own policy and thereby undermining it. I don’t think they should have done it, else both customers AND developers will never learn.

    Edit: I also find it ridiculous that developers get blamed for the stupidity of their customers and their inability to read. As for the product itself, Atlas is in very rough shape, Alpha state to be precise. Its perfectly playable though.
    Atlas needs to be more than just playable, though, it also needs to match product descriptions and terms of sale.

    Steam's Terms of Sale promise you right to refund for any reason as long as the title has been played for less than two hours. If Atlas has had large enough problems with stuff like being able to spawn, Steam might decide to give refunds to anyone who asks because they have trouble determining who is still entitled to refund as per terms of sale.

    Steam's Terms of Sale about early access games are also that the product is sold as it is: Steam doesn't promise any future updates, so that they don't need to give refunds if a dev disappears and leaves the game unfinished. But in the short run this also means that if Atlas devs have given too many descriptions of future stuff that isn't in game yet without enough warnings that this stuff is not included in Steam purchase, Steam might decide to give blanket refunds to anyone who asks now to ensure that in the future they keep to their own policy of promising no updates to the game.
     
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I played about 3-4 hours during the holiday weekend, It was too messy for me to continue playing but I definitely won't be refunding it. I saw enough "white meat" on the bone to hold onto this one. I think when this game is finished it will be a incredible game. I'd rather pay 25 bucks now then 60 later.
    DeVoDeVolahnmir
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Sign In or Register to comment.