Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ELEX, a review so far (best RPG ever)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited December 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
First let me say ELEX is not broken…. It's simply hard.  It's genius.  Smartest RPG I've ever played. 

I've been wanting this game since release, Only to be held back by fixing.  Come to find out nothing is wrong :)
I've also held back because of boring beginning, can't fight anything.  It's actually exciting :)  

Skyrim quality !!! 
It's open world, DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT, quality progression of character, story behind everything, fantastic graphics.  Better than meaningful combat, I'll cover that last. 

Synapsis to level 7: 
You start off with nothing, yes your helpless.  You meet a guy named Duras that will lead you to the first town of Berserkers  headquarters.  Understand, it's one of three factions you can join, later you will have to select a choice, but for now your simply trying to stay alive..... Your plopped in the middle of town with nothing other than eventually talking to the leader.  

At first it seems cold, you have no direction.  You feel like a wet dog that's been in the rain all night.  That's until you start talking to the towns people.  Everyone has extremely meaningful stuff to say, complete with lore and often a task for you to do, very engaging and immersive every bit of it.  Decide to do his task, walk the town, talk to the main guy... There is no wrong answer (Skyrim).

I was lead to believe the beginning was boring... If you can't fight what's left, a few fetch quest ?.... No No Nooo, it's huge meaningful stuff that builds your reputation and advances you character right from the start :) ….. Very engaging stuff like criminal activity for you to solve.  Or leave town to fight a few bad guys.  

Another example that will leave a lasting impression. 
For the OutLaws, I met with Rat Man, he told me the shop Keeper wasn't paying her taxes, but she had a huge stash in here basement. I was to sneak in and steal it when she was off guard.  Well Rat Man double crossed me and turned me in.  I was pissed and went to kill him.  He surprisingly talked me out of it, with a deeper plan !.... And Deep it was, I'll not spoil it.... This is what you get in the so called boring beginning.

Sure, your weak as hell.  You have almost nothing.  You must be tactful in your encounters.  Stand their and think first, it helps to bring Duras as a squishy tank to ease the burden..... The combat IS NOT BROAKEN.... You can't button mash.  I watched one YouTube that explains the simple problem where people refuse to digest.  It's timing, strike and wait, strike and wait, this builds stamina to execute a finisher.... IT'S THAT SIMPLE.  It has a DarkSouls feel to it, but not quite so hard.   Strike a few times run away or out of arrow range and drink a potion.  Shoot a few arrows and re-engage with close combat.  Button mashing ?....come on already.

Tips:
Settings>difficulty>close combat focus, set to manual.   
Find sunglasses early.  

Progression of character: 
It's all about molding your character to how you want to play.  
ELEX is Genius.... It combines attribute spending with weapon choices, you must spend wisely or you can't equip. spend more points to use better and better stuff.... It's very deep and rewarding.  Hard to explain, easy to understand in game, I'll leave it at that. 

I was faced with a major question, 
Berserkers- Close combat and bows    
OutLaws- Guns 
Clarics- Plasma weapons 
How do I spend attribute and weapon points when I don't know my faction yet ?... After all I don't want to waist precious points until I know my faction.... I asked in steam.... The answer was simple !.... "Visit all Factions early".... Then I realized something outstanding.  The first main story had me visiting all three factions.  

Revelation !... I was set on a great journey to explore the land and avoid danger.  That in it self was an intriguing adventure :) 

I did several quest for each, then easily decided on Berserker and "I'll equip Bows"... Now I can spend points ! 
Understand, I haven't joined them yet.  I just know my future direction. 

Important: 
1) ELEX is not broken. I ignored all opinion to decide first hand.  What I thought was broken was soon dismissed with practice. EVERYTHING !  
2) It's a hard tactful game... More so than any other RPG ever played. 
3) IT IS NOT BORING... every YouTube, every review, every walkthrough gives a false impression.  Even the great fan's can't generate the real action and fun you will have. 

It has to be played to understand !
Post edited by delete5230 on
d_20IselinOctagon7711[Deleted User]Tokken[Deleted User]BananablecheyaneSevenwindRain_Deathraven

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    ELEX is one of my favorite rpgs. 

If you're a completionist, though, you might hold off on finishing the main quest and then finish each of the faction quests first. At least that's what I would do if I could start over (without knowing how the story ends).
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I picked it up on the Steam Black Friday sale and loved it. It's a brilliant game with great characters and a story that's engaging and doesn't insult your intelligence.

After I finished it the first time (played it through 3 times so far :)) and found out how things got the way they are and what the Cleric's religion is actually all about it was hilarious.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]d_20
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    DMKano said:
    As a fan of Gothic games, this was a no brainer for me.

Good game - it's a good example of an open world RPG done right. 

Also when you take this and compare it to Fallout76... yeah really puts it into perspective how garbage F76 really is

I didn't know that this was an online multiplayer game.  I'll have to go check it out now.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I remember when I bought Risen 3, also developed by Piranha Bytes, who also developed the Gothic series.  I created my character, appeared on a beach and was killed in one hit by the wild life.  This happened a few more times and that was it for me, didn't touch the game for months.  One day having nothing better to do, I fired up the game, avoided the wild life and started exploring and gathering materials.  I found a decent stick to use as a weapon and took sweet vengeance on all my old tormentors.  Following a trail, I found an empty house and later met an NPC who offered to take me his camp.  During that time I learned about the other two factions on the island and was hooked.  I had to replay the game as a member of each faction because each had a different story and offered different types of magics and/or fighting skills.

Elex as the next game in the series is pretty much the same way.  You will die fast and often until you learn the ropes.  But I think it's worth it cause the stories and quests always leave me wanting to know what's coming next and what it's like being in one of the other factions.  Great game.
    d_20

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Nice writing delete, your post is pushing me toward trying Elex . . . 
    d_20
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    One of the best games I ve ever played, and I still play it daily.
    d_20
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Nice writing delete, your post is pushing me toward trying Elex . . . 
    Thank you, 
    I wouldn't do this unless I was genuine in my intentions. 

It seems were in mmorpg darkness.... Until we have a renaissance, I think we should help each other out. 

I really am a nice guy in RL.  I just have a deep passion to not get F%$#, or let anyone else get F%$#.... I'm on every ones side, even the ones that hate me the most :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    I didn't get very far as i got bored very quickly.
    IDK about later but it starts very linear.I played for about 4-5 hours the first day but after that three straight days i logged out in minutes.
    I might one day get back to it and try to see if it gets better but it just didn't do anything at all when i was playing,too bad because i think it cost me a bit of money more than i would normally spend for a game on a whim.

Actually i'm bored right now so i'll spark it up and see if it can grab me long enough to move forward.

[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    I didn't get very far as i got bored very quickly.
    IDK about later but it starts very linear.I played for about 4-5 hours the first day but after that three straight days i logged out in minutes.
    I might one day get back to it and try to see if it gets better but it just didn't do anything at all when i was playing,too bad because i think it cost me a bit of money more than i would normally spend for a game on a whim.

Actually i'm bored right now so i'll spark it up and see if it can grab me long enough to move forward.

I could understand Wizardry,
    We as gamers have many platforms.

Only played to level 7, at this time I dying to play and will be in a few minuets.  I'm very intrigued with deep tactful and slow meaningful nature of this game... It's like potato chips, you can't eat just one.  I could only guess the future, but I'm guessing their will never be any extreme action stress. 

A game like this is somewhat like Old School mmorpg..... Your actions and decisions you made out of combat during off times will pay off and show when later it comes to battle.

"After you win such a fight, you feel good for several reasons, obviously because you won, but also because you realized you planned well" 

Baldur's Gate is the best example of pre-set up strategy.  Everything counts on your out of battle planning.... Theirs more to it than that, but you get my point. 

ELEX is a modern smooth leaned out THINKING GAME that's MORE NATURAL and easer on the eyes than first generation video games.  It's fantastic in doing so.  However combat can be stressful, I have a vendetta to make myself stronger.  Until then, I'll save often :)

The only thing I could argue is it's any thing BUT liner.  
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The more people buy and play Elex the better. Awesome game!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]IselinOctagon7711d_20
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Nyctelios said:
    I was following the game development closely but when it went out youtubers and twitchers just spat on it so hard I kinda lost interest.

Thanks for the insightful points, everyone, I'll make sure to get it.

Edit: Got in on the winter sale. Reading the reviews the game seems to have everything fixed and took a turn for the better... That's so good do read.
    Tips:
    - Settings>difficulty>close combat focus, set to manual.   
    - Find sunglasses early.

Both are very important !!!

This tip video will help you get sun glasses early 

[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Figured out why i quit playing last time.
    The UI is simply awful.Locking the camera on i never like and somersaults is a pet peeve i hate in any game.
    So tried to look through the keybinds and there isn't even a strafe choice,you either turn or you don't.So then i noticed controller,figured better try that since keyboard UI is yeah terrible.SO i try the controller,seems a bit to get used to then all of a sudden NOTHING works,i press every single button on the controller and nothing grrr.
    So then i figure my god maybe i accidentally set it back to KB so i tried on my keyboard and nothing,couldn't move my player or switch weapons,he was just stuck in that one position with his bow out.
    So yeah i don't bounce off walls trying to figure out a crappy UI setup,i just deleted the game ..again  and will likely never play it again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The other day I wanted to tell you to get it when I saw your wishlist for Christmas but then I forgot. I'm glad you got it, have fun mate! :)
    delete5230
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Figured out why i quit playing last time.
    The UI is simply awful.Locking the camera on i never like and somersaults is a pet peeve i hate in any game.
    So tried to look through the keybinds and there isn't even a strafe choice,you either turn or you don't.So then i noticed controller,figured better try that since keyboard UI is yeah terrible.SO i try the controller,seems a bit to get used to then all of a sudden NOTHING works,i press every single button on the controller and nothing grrr.
    So then i figure my god maybe i accidentally set it back to KB so i tried on my keyboard and nothing,couldn't move my player or switch weapons,he was just stuck in that one position with his bow out.
    So yeah i don't bounce off walls trying to figure out a crappy UI setup,i just deleted the game ..again  and will likely never play it again.

Tips:
    - Settings>difficulty>close combat focus, set to manual.   
    - Find sunglasses early.

Very popular fix
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nice to hear all the positive feedback, I had been on the fence about getting this might check it out.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Elex is a good game, a fun game , and very entertaining ...

Best RGP Ever .....................NO
    Iselin[Deleted User]Gobstopper3DKyleran
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Definitely a sleeper hit for me.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Important: 
    1) ELEX is not broken. I ignored all opinion to decide first hand.  What I thought was broken was soon dismissed with practice. EVERYTHING !  
    3) IT IS NOT BORING... every YouTube, every review, every walkthrough gives a false impression.  Even the great fan's can't generate the real action and fun you will have. 

EVERYTHING!

love is blindness, they say, ait? :)
    SlyLoK

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Thane said:

Important: 

EVERYTHING!

love is blindness, they say, ait? :)
    Well , that is not saying much , Angry Joe is a fuggin Idiot ,watching to much of him has been known to actually lower the IQ of already weak minds..
    IselinNoxias
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    You convinced me to give it a shot while it's on sale.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Anyone trying it for the first time just be aware that the balance curve is steep. In this game you truly feel the benefits of advancing.

Go ahead and run away from enemies when you first start or just put up with a lot of deaths but by the end of the game you'll be almost god-like in power against much tougher enemies than the ones that gave you trouble at the beginning.

When you join a faction you'll get better armor from them and then again at level 15 and 25 when you're eligible to advance faction ranks. The factions are no perfectly balanced and the special abilities you get from them I would rank as Clerics > Bezerkers > Outlaws.

The Cleric's magic Psi Amp that you get when you join them (you have a choice between two weapons - you will get the second one when you rank up but go for the amp first) has one ability, Black Hole, that is quite frankly OP'd AF when compared to anything the other factions get. It's a ranged attack that pulls mobs in a reasonable radius in, then detonates and CCs them. It's so good it's addictive and you'll find yourself using it almost exclusively once you have it.

delete5230[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXd_20
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I played through the game and have to agree with the OP on all statements. I really enjoyed it. 
    It is hard for the first good while. It slowly eases up as you grow stronger. Overall a great game. 
    d_20
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Gothic 1,2? awesome games, Elex? so bad imo (but at least not tragic), i guess this sums it up :)
    boris20 said:
    I played through the game and have to agree with the OP on all statements. I really enjoyed it. 
    It is hard for the first good while. It slowly eases up as you grow stronger. Overall a great game. 
    Im only lv 9, I found a better two hander than the one hand Axe I've been using and spent just a few points... I'm already feeling a better difference and am able to defeat several types of enemies. 

As I grow stronger, I'm liking it even more.  The wife is pissed better give the family some attention.
    ConstantineMerusOctagon7711d_20
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Not a fan of "RPG" games where I am forced to play a specific character. Even the Witcher series turns me off due this this one fact....just my pet peeve stupid crap lol. 
    SBFordAgent_Joseph
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!