Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : PlanetSide Arena Dev Series 'Inside the Arena' Takes a Look at Classes

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : PlanetSide Arena Dev Series 'Inside the Arena' Takes a Look at Classes

MMORPG.com reviews MMO and MMORPG games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Its medic not mechanic.
  • bluegamebluegame Member UncommonPosts: 6
    well aleast we can say good bye to the rng battle royale crap
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This is pathetic.
    Nilden[Deleted User]
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    2:10 Dab
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Planetside 2 has five classes, the infiltrator, light assault, heavy assault, medic, engineer and the MAX suit. (so technically six) Three factions fighting over entire continents. Massive battles with combined arms. Three types of aircraft, five types of ground vehicles from ATVs to tanks. So many guns I can't even count them all.

So I just wonder to myself why would I ever play this over what Planetside 2 already offers?

Only 3 classes instead? What about the battle and map sizes? Half the size? A quarter?  What will it have for air and ground vehicles? How many guns are there?

It seems like they are just taking Planetside 2 and making a third/quarter of the game it already is.

It's not just pathetic it's a real WTF is even going on at Daybreak, besides letting 70 people go before Christmas and announcing this pointless, clueless, bandwagon battle royal.

Just WTF.

Want me some of that Fortnite pie!
    AsheramAlomarLackingMMO

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    One of the worst parts is that this will inevitably draw players away from Planetside 2, which is already a game on life support and only the truly hardcore Siders are still left.

Those are the people who will gravitate to this for a chance to pound some newbies, and draw off PS2's population.

In the end, without a decent advertising push, that I don't think Daybreak games has the budget for, they're just going to be left with two low pop games.
    Alomar
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Planetside 2 is boring. They just don't seem to be grasping what made ps1 a hit
    bcbully
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    SOULLESS
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So its just a BR version of Planetside? That's "reinvesting in the Planeside Universe" I guess FO76 was reinvesting in the Fallout universe then. :)

I think PS2 is the best MMOFPS with factions out there. If the want to make a great game and not just a money spinner how about a PS3?
    itchmon
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Zenislav said:

Scot said:

So its just a BR version of Planetside? That's "reinvesting in the Planeside Universe" I guess FO76 was reinvesting in the Fallout universe then. :)

I think PS2 is the best MMOFPS with factions out there. If the want to make a great game and not just a money spinner how about a PS3?

They probably don't have resources and manpower to create PS 3. Creating new mode with PS 2 models and shipping it as brand new game is best they can do. So yea they are trying to get as much money as they can with least amount of work so battle royal craze is best bet. Will it work? Probably not. Kids and players who like this type of games already have their title and wont move from it.
    Indeed, trying to beat Fortnite at its own game is not going to work.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018

Nilden said:

Planetside 2 has five classes, the infiltrator, light assault, heavy assault, medic, engineer and the MAX suit. (so technically six) Three factions fighting over entire continents. Massive battles with combined arms. Three types of aircraft, five types of ground vehicles from ATVs to tanks. So many guns I can't even count them all.

So I just wonder to myself why would I ever play this over what Planetside 2 already offers?

Only 3 classes instead? What about the battle and map sizes? Half the size? A quarter?  What will it have for air and ground vehicles? How many guns are there?

It seems like they are just taking Planetside 2 and making a third/quarter of the game it already is.

It's not just pathetic it's a real WTF is even going on at Daybreak, besides letting 70 people go before Christmas and announcing this pointless, clueless, bandwagon battle royal.

Just WTF.

they should have fixed their missing doors instead

seriously, they made a game who's whole meaning is to attack bases, take em and keep em.
    they build wals around those, and .... as all human beings, leave the entrances totaly open. canadians. ^^
    Post edited by Thane on

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Take an existing game; re-package it as a new game and then go about selling the same game again.

As said, and as happened with H1Z1, it will cannibalize players hastening the death of the first. If it brings some money in it will prolong the death throws - and who knows maybe they will get lucky. Not likely but hope springs eternal.

Wouldn't surprise me if DCUO is spun off into its own company going forward - possibly with the same owner or as part of a deal with WarnerBros / DC Comics.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chrisapete123chrisapete123 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    DayBreak wasn’t the one that was trying to ruin the name of EQ with loser EQ:Next... now stop bashing on daybreak for canceling of EQ:Next... okay now I won’t be playing it cuz there’s no tank class...
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Planetside 2 is the only FPS game I've enjoyed playing during this decade. If only it had third person view I'd pay more than $20 for its pre-order many years ago...
    Hatefull

Thank you for your time!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    This is what happens when a studio stops "making games" and starts "leveraging assets" and "creating new consumer products"...
    NildenXarkoitchmon
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Looking forward to this. Comparing this to PS2 is like comparing apples and oranges. A lobby shooter vs an open persistent world TPS is like comparing DOTA to WOW, not the same thing but they both have swords.

I doubt this will affect PS2 as much as the doom sayers predict. I have been on PS2 since tech test and I am very rarely not able to find a big fight. I play on Connery, so that may be why. Looking forward to Merc bots.

I will play arena and although I am not a big fan of BR, there are other modes of play that will become available. If things go as advertised. So, we shall see.

I played PS1 from the day it went live until the servers shut down (off and on I admit) and while I truly wish they would have just updated that to modern standards, they didn't so this is what we are stuck with. However, as it stands right now, it is a pretty good game if you are into big battles and combined arms play.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Hatefull said:

Looking forward to this. Comparing this to PS2 is like comparing apples and oranges. A lobby shooter vs an open persistent world TPS is like comparing DOTA to WOW, not the same thing but they both have swords.

I doubt this will affect PS2 as much as the doom sayers predict. I have been on PS2 since tech test and I am very rarely not able to find a big fight. I play on Connery, so that may be why. Looking forward to Merc bots.

I will play arena and although I am not a big fan of BR, there are other modes of play that will become available. If things go as advertised. So, we shall see.

I played PS1 from the day it went live until the servers shut down (off and on I admit) and while I truly wish they would have just updated that to modern standards, they didn't so this is what we are stuck with. However, as it stands right now, it is a pretty good game if you are into big battles and combined arms play.

actually, this is what YOU are stuck with, i stopped playing once i noticed the new planetside (2) is nothing but a new circle zerg, and nothing i care about too much.

you CAN'T defend walls that don't have doors, if there are open holes in your fort, your fight is MEANT to be lost.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I couldnt get into PS2...Taking one step and dying constantly to me isnt a fun game
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I got an infraction for saying the devs of this suck. Wow, what was this article? A paid post or something? Did I mess up the money?

My bad.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thane said:

Hatefull said:

actually, this is what YOU are stuck with, i stopped playing once i noticed the new planetside (2) is nothing but a new circle zerg, and nothing i care about too much.

you CAN'T defend walls that don't have doors, if there are open holes in your fort, your fight is MEANT to be lost.

Yeah a lot of people do not understand basic tactics tend to get demoralized about that lack of doors. It
    is pretty simple, you set up a horse shoe outside C4/nade range and defend like that. It happens all the time noobs fight in the door way, people that know what they are doing pull back a bit and turn the doorway into a murder hole. Obviously the flanks need to be covered.

Also with the lattice system in place, it started alleviating the 'circle zerg' and made it more straight line zerg, hopefully mercenary bots will alleviate that even more.

As it stand however, PS2 is not "on life support" nor is it hurting (at least my server) population wise. You can find good fights at all hours.

My comment of "what we are stuck with" was more directed at the people that play the game, most of us wish it had went a different direction, but this is what WE are stuck with I do not include YOU in that count. Sorry if you thought you mattered that much to me.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    edited December 2018

Scot said:

Zenislav said:

Scot said:

They probably don't have resources and manpower to create PS 3. Creating new mode with PS 2 models and shipping it as brand new game is best they can do.

So yea they are trying to get as much money as they can with least amount of work so battle royal craze is best bet. Will it work? Probably not. Kids and players who like this type of games already have their title and wont move from it.

Beating Fortnite at its own game implies they were the first. H1Z1 was the first actually popular battle royal, but what rocketed BR into the stratosphere was PubG. Which came after. Fortnite just added BR as a result of the flavor of the moment mentality and since Fortnite was already popular as a pve game, it just helped round it out and make it more popular. Technically, SOE/Daybreak was the creator of the first popular BR, so while I don't think Planetside Arena is a good idea, They aren't trying for a piece of someone else's pie. They are trying to keep a piece of the pie that THEY THEMSELVES created in the first place.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Nilden said:

Just WTF.

Not saying I'm disagreeing with you on the "why would I play this over Planetside 2" point. However, I suspect the reason you'd switch would be when a large chunk of the actives playing PS2 move to PSA. It's going to be a lot less target rich environment when Daybreak reduces content/patches for 2 and moves focus to the new.

Samhael said:

Nilden said:

Just WTF.

Not saying I'm disagreeing with you on the "why would I play this over Planetside 2" point. However, I suspect the reason you'd switch would be when a large chunk of the actives playing PS2 move to PSA. It's going to be a lot less target rich environment when Daybreak reduces content/patches for 2 and moves focus to the new.

People play PS2 because they LIKE PS2, if they wanted to play BR games, they can, there are many titles. Will people try Arena? Sure, will it kill PS2 numbers? I sincerely doubt it. All the people that were loyal to the planetside IP have pretty much gone, as pointed out ad naseum, PS2 is not much like PS1 so the people that are still there, are there because they like massive combined arms battles that PS2 offers.

So many of us, and this is a topic in chat, will try arena, but remain loyal to PS2 as you can't find those huge battles anywhere else right now. I would be concerned if another decent MMOT/FPS was going to release, hell I would most likely migrate, but I do not see anything on the horizon along those lines.

Last night we had and armor convoy of close to a hundred vehicles and I could not count the infantry on the NC faction. The other factions met us and fought, it was yet another amazing battle. But the game is on life support. lol ok.

PS2 has its surges and its low points, but overall it is not hard to find a decent fight (on Connery) any time you want one.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Scot said:

Zenislav said:

Scot said:

They probably don't have resources and manpower to create PS 3. Creating new mode with PS 2 models and shipping it as brand new game is best they can do.

So yea they are trying to get as much money as they can with least amount of work so battle royal craze is best bet. Will it work? Probably not. Kids and players who like this type of games already have their title and wont move from it.

It's like the slew of clones after WoW's success. I don't get what a developer is thinking when creating a game for the current fad that is already saturated. As a few people have pointed out, this smells of desperation .