Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas ain't quite ready to sail the seas, matey - MMORPG.com

Comments

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375

tomek2626 said:

oh sponsored artikel i gues to sefe sinking crap shit youcal new game that is reskin of ark read about dude who stumbel on seting from ark in Atlas wtf lezy devs must be to leve it in game thay sey is new this anther copy paste so caled nex gen new you got prof of capy paste

If this is a sponsored article, I would hate to see a not sponsored article on the game.
    Sponsored: Don't buy this game yet.
    Not sponsored: Light your wallet on fire, and throw it in a burning dumpster before buying this game.
    NoxiasStrizzy12TacticalZombeh
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Albatroes said:
    If you liked Ark, you might as well just buy it now before they end up charging double upon release due to needing to increase 'retail' value or whatever excuse they gave for Ark's price doubling. Just be prepared to buy an expansion while its still in EA because as the knights in white will tell you "There's nothing wrong with them releasing an expansion while in EA because it helps further the game's development!"
    nope i would WAIT. Its scheduled for at least 2years under Early Access (though probably be longer). Plenty of time to see how the game is going at the $30 price. Its currently got 17% off right now for launch BUT in the 2 years i would expect a better discount to come along during those 2 years than 17%. ARK did it has had 40-55% discounts.

Right now Atlas is not worth it, not unless you want to buy the game and only install and play it in about 3 months time or so. I can think of other games better to buy and play right now than this
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Asked for a refund.  I still plan on playing it in the future, but for the moment, it isn't really playable for me.  A shame really, because I really like the theme.  Here's hoping the future holds bright things for it, and I can get into it in the future.
    [Deleted User]Thahar

I self identify as a monkey.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    People don't remember how rough mmo launches used to be, this is an early access mmo launch not a typical launch. That in my book gives them a wide birth (get it I made a naval reference). Even with their issues many people have been having a blast, if little things like this make or break games for you then you shouldn't be trying it for 1-2 weeks after launch.
    [Deleted User]Tsiyamike32927KanwulfNarmorThahartweedledumb99
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Getting Early Access games is sometimes like when you are making a cake and the raw batter tastes good with all that sugar and raw eggs that you lick the spoon off... but it is not quite as good as the finished cake.
    TacticalZombehmike32927
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I don't mind buying into early access.  I've had some successes that I enjoy to this day.  However, Atlas wasn't one of them.  Fingers crossed for the future.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Alomar said:
    People don't remember how rough mmo launches used to be, this is an early access mmo launch not a typical launch. That in my book gives them a wide birth (get it I made a naval reference). Even with their issues many people have been having a blast, if little things like this make or break games for you then you shouldn't be trying it for 1-2 weeks after launch.
    bullshit, mmo probs have usualy been due to server issues, not to games not being finished.
    we always bitched when someone wanted money for a product that isn't done, nothing new here.

uh and with their history, don't even DARE to claim they need it for the dev process
    [Deleted User]FacelessSavior

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Getting Early Access games is sometimes like when you are making a cake and the raw batter tastes good with all that sugar and raw eggs that you lick the spoon off... but it is not quite as good as the finished cake.
    Terrible analogy, I love the dough more.
    AethaerynTacticalZombeh
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    buy it and get burned kiddos, im pretty sure you will learn it the next time-NOT.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The problerm lots of people have with EA that it can be anything, Alpha, Beta, Commercial Beta etc. Most people have gotten this crazy idea that is must be the equivalent of a commercal or open Beta while the truth isn´t really like that. Atlas is Alpha, definitely with the latest patch. Other comparable EA titles would have been early The Black Death, Project Genom and Wolcen. Previous builds of those htough, not current ones. I find Atlas quite acceptable tbh, it is playable now. Then again, I am a grown up with reasonable expectations and reading comprehension skills.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Strizzy12Kanwulfdragonlee66
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Unfortunately I don't think this will ever get ready. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    jeeshadow said:
    I'm not sure why people are concerned by the fact that it was going to be a DLC of Ark. So what? Why does that lesson their project?

Everyone knew these developers came from Ark, the game design was going to be like Ark. They didn't hide that fact did they? Who cares that it was going to be a DLC then evolved into its own separate game? what's that got to do with anything?
    Because if it had stayed as an Ark DLC, people who bought the season pass would get it for free. By disconnecting it from Ark and making it a stand-alone game, it now requires anyone who wants to play it to buy it. Which may very well be the exact reason they did it this way.
    NarmorSignex
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Gdemami said:
    The article is a complete mess. You say it isn't ready to sail the seas, yet you fail to say why....
    They do that quite often, soft pedal almost every review. I recall one where the final verdict was like 5.6 or something yet reading the review there were very few points to support such a low score.

I think they are afraid to piss off the devs too much, after all they rely on getting early access and free copies to survive.

Consumer Reports they defintely aren't.

Makes me actually appreciate Angry Joe sometimes. 

Panserbjorne39GdemamibobbymcswansonFlyByKnight[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    The article is a complete mess. You say it isn't ready to sail the seas, yet you fail to say why....
    They do that quite often, soft pedal almost every review. I recall one where the final verdict was like 5.6 or something yet reading the review there were very few points to support such a low score.

I think they are afraid to piss off the devs too much, after all they rely on getting early access and free copies to survive.

Consumer Reports they defintely aren't.

Makes me actually appreciate Angry Joe sometimes. 

I think that the way the gaming culture has evolved that official reviews on a site like this should be retired.  In their place should be reviews/blogs/whatever posted by various staff members.  This was if you like Angre Bill you can read what he has to say about the game.  If you like Mellow Marty you can read/watch his...

Gdemami[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2018
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Asked for a refund.  I still plan on playing it in the future, but for the moment, it isn't really playable for me.  A shame really, because I really like the theme.  Here's hoping the future holds bright things for it, and I can get into it in the future.
    I am surprised that you and others actually expected it to be very playable at this point, especially in the first few days of release.

When ArcheAge flipped from US Alpha/Beta I wasn't able to login for two weeks due to massive queues. Same happened with Aion and a few others, all games being officially released, not early access.

Better to set your early expectations very low,  then you will avoid experiencing disappointment or wasting your valuable time. (An almost priceless commodity at my age)

;)

mcrippinsgervaise1Kanwulf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Terrible analogy, I love the dough more.
    You must have a good bowel system then... lol
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I spawned in the water with land seen vaguely in the distance. It was night and the water was freezing. There was a series of tips that I didn't get to fully read (and many were truncated although I was running at 1920 x 1080) before they moved to the next one. By the time I reached shore, my character was never more than half health. The first time, I was greeted by a level 210 alpha wolf and promptly dispatched. I re-spawned and swam back. This time, no alpha wolf but my character only lasted another 60-120 seconds before succumbing to the cold. I tried again a couple more times but had no better luck. Definitely player versus the Environment here! However, I realized how rough this was -- I could barely see anything at night in the game and creating a fire much less a torch just wasn't going to be something I could accomplish in such a short span. At 14 minutes of played time, I uninstalled and requested a refund. Perhaps in a few months the game will be worth checking out again.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    If you go into this with the mindset you are a Alpha tester and you are getting a 60 dollar game for 25 bucks but it wont be a really playable game for a another 12 to 18 months than I would suggest buying it. If you are looking for a game that is stable and more than 50% finished and playable STAY AWAY. If the thought of throwing 25 bucks at a game that isn't finished bothers you STAY AWAY.

ChildoftheShadowsAethaeryn[Deleted User]SamhaelTacticalZombehKanwulf
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    If you go into this with the mindset you are a Alpha tester and you are getting a 60 dollar game for 25 bucks but it wont be a really playable game for a another 12 to 18 months than I would suggest buying it. If you are looking for a game that is stable and more than 50% finished and playable STAY AWAY. If the thought of throwing 25 bucks at a game that isn't finished bothers you STAY AWAY.

Not that I've played or purchased  it, because I haven't, but this is what the mindset should be. Steam could benefit by changing how early access works as well. For example, instead of having player reviews they have a feedback loop so everyone actually treats it like early access instead of a complete game. 
    [Deleted User]Kanwulf
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    thunderC said:

There are a few games that I have done this with.  I used to want to play them early even if only half done.  Then I realized one of two things would happen:

1.  They would never be finished
    2.  I would play myself out and not enjoy the finished game

There have been a few I have bought where  I played around a bit and then left them and was not disappointed.  It think this will be one of them.
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]Signex

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    thunderC said:

There are a few games that I have done this with.  I used to want to play them early even if only half done.  Then I realized one of two things would happen:

There have been a few I have bought where  I played around a bit and then left them and was not disappointed.  It think this will be one of them.
    #2 is the exact reason I don't play betas of any kind.
    Signex
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    thunderC said:

Not that I've played or purchased  it, because I haven't, but this is what the mindset should be. Steam could benefit by changing how early access works as well. For example, instead of having player reviews they have a feedback loop so everyone actually treats it like early access instead of a complete game. 
    A good idea.  Reviews of early access are not being treated by the general public the way they should.  They are also not indicative of the final product.  I LOVED 7 Days to die. .then they added level gated content and messed some other things up and my view changed drastically.  Other games get bombed in reviews and turn into decent games but the review history likely hurts sales.  

I say, just leave the forum. . if you want to buy EA. . read those to see what it is like.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    thunderC said:

Agreed i got burned real bad on one where the dev just abandoned the game, Usually when that happens steam will give refunds within a window which i missed.

But iv had more hits then misses with EA, Conan Exiles is probably the best & most recent example. That game was a mess at launch and now its fantastic. It took over a year though but i got the game at half price so its a win.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why do some games that don't even work get a ton of attention while other, sometimes great games languish in obscurity?  It's as if some people are more into looking forward to what could be available in the future than actually playing the game.

If you want a game along the lines of what Atlas promises, then go play Uncharted Waters Online and be happy.  UWO is released, stable, polished, and has a ton of content--likely more than any other MMORPG ever made.  It also has a more ambitious feature set than Atlas is willing to even put on paper, already implemented and working well.

What does Atlas have that UWO doesn't?  Prettier graphics and a ton of bugs?  At best, Atlas hopes to someday be the game that UWO already is.  If you're upset about the mess that is Atlas and haven't given UWO a serious look, you're doing it wrong.
    Gdemami
    Quizzical said:

What does Atlas have that UWO doesn't?  
    Well, A player base to start....... Steam charts currently shows 1 player ingame , Those waters truly are uncharted  
    • Aloha Mr Hand !