Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

err

124»

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    That would have explained a good bit of things and made a decent amount of sense.

Them forking the game to work on a DLC, and then just running with the DLC to create a full game experience around it would put most of the things people are finding into logical context.
    MadFrenchie
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Not at all, DLC or EA game to catch the Holiday Break cash .. would have been fine by me. I've also heard a rumor that this  was made by modders and not the official team. No idea if that's true though.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Redemp said:
    Not at all, DLC or EA game to catch the Holiday Break cash .. would have been fine by me. I've also heard a rumor that this  was made by modders and not the official team. No idea if that's true though.
    Me neither.  If they had been up front about that, I think they would've prevented a lot of angst (at least, aside from the server woes angst that every dev gets for having the audacity to have the same launch issues as pretty much every online game ever). I personally wouldn't be questioning their integrity like I am now about it.

I don't get why devs continue to treat gamers as if we need to be lied to. 

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    edited December 2018
    The annoying thing for me about all of it was the quotes on the server capacity and size .... why shoot yourself in the foot like that. Clearly the game "Servers" can't support 44,000 right now and the excuse of "We meant 150 per node X "number of nodes"" really doesn't cut it. They don't get a pass on that from me. The other thing I don't understand is the vitamin system ... I can't fathom who could conceive of such a terrible mechanic. I get wanting there to be "Scurvy" in a pirate game but meh.

*Also for those running private servers, be aware while the tools are robust there is a lack of real information on most of it currently. We're running into an issue of safe zones and harvest conflicts. Several iterations of scrapping the server and starting fresh so far. As far as running a private server this is par for the course, I only mention this to dissuade  those new to running their own private server from thinking it's easier than waiting on official.

MadFrenchie
    Redemp said:
    The annoying thing for me about all of it was the quotes on the server capacity and size .... why shoot yourself in the foot like that. Clearly the game "Servers" can't support 44,000 right now and the excuse of "We meant 150 per node X "number of nodes"" really doesn't cut it. They don't get a pass on that from me. The other thing I don't understand is the vitamin system ... I can't fathom who could conceive of such a terrible mechanic. I get wanting there to be "Scurvy" in a pirate game but meh.

*Also for those running private servers, be aware while the tools are robust there is a lack of real information on most of it currently. We're running into an issue of safe zones and harvest conflicts. Several iterations of scrapping the server and starting fresh so far. As far as running a private server this is par for the course, I only mention this to dissuade  those new to running their own private server from thinking it's easier than waiting on official.

I was wondering about the boasts about the player count, but the cynic in me had already decided there was gonna be a caveat to the claim.  It doesn't absolve them, but it does have the effect of me not being surprised or disappointed about that particular point too badly.

What is a pirate game without at least a mention of Scurvy, right?  But sucks it's associated with what appears to be a frustrating system.

Keep us (or, at least, me) updated on its progress.  Again, I would love to have a pirate pirate exploration game in the vain of a larger ARK world, but I don't like to jump into something until I'm sure I can at least reliably experience the core gameplay loop.  Not mad at the launch day woes (other than the poor communication on the delays), and I'm curious how long it takes Grapeshot (as this studio is called) to iron out most of those.

Also, shoutout to @MaxBacon for creating a thread named "err" that managed 4 pages of discussion.  That's no small feat! :D 
    ConstantineMerus

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Also, shoutout to @MaxBacon for creating a thread named "err" that managed 4 pages of discussion.  That's no small feat! :D 
    We couldn't allow it to actually fail, that would have been a travesty.
    MadFrenchie