Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas Mostly Negative on Steam

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Our alpha early access game has lag ! Negative Review !
    The devs are selling it.  There's no requirement to buy that you have experience with software development and testing.

Sounds like a dev problem to me, not a consumer one.
    Sorry mate, I categorically disagree. Consumers buying a fully stated unfinished game at full price and then being pissed off when its, guess fucking what, unfinished, is expressly a consumer issue.

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development

This isn't buying a horse from market, Zebub.  We've gone way beyond consumers having the industry or product specification knowledge to be considered on the same level as the producers of the industry.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Tokken said:
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    Or alternatively people shouldn't buy into an unfinished, early access title and expect it to behave like a finished and polished product. 

"Oh come now, you know that in this current web culture there are some motherfuckers doing exactly that."

Just like you said above.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    ATLAS was a mod turned into full game, I'd say in relation of how Counter-Strike turned out with Half-Life. With review bombing being the norm now, it was expected. The game has made strides with each update and seeing this is mostly a network related issue, probably going to take a bit to stabilize.

The game was hyped, the game was hammered with users, I can't recall any game that has been able to handle a massive influx no matter what server technology / nodes claim it can "handle".

Just like ARK, I'm sure ATLAS will be fine and will succeed in the end.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2018
    Albatroes said:
    Keep in mind Ark was mostly negative reviews when it was in Early Access and was also on the top seller list for a while.
    I know, so very weird how that works, right? 

Gaming is one of the few industries where a product  can be proven seriously flawed yet consumers willingly buy in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Managed to get a good chunk of playtime in this morning -  server/node I was on was relatively stable. Raft's ready for the mates to log in and hop on to leave the starter areas. Most of the streamers outside the starting hubs seem to be doing alright lag wise. 
    KyleranMadFrenchie
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Kyleran said:

Only in gaming can a product be proven serious flawed yet consumers willingly buy in.
    When devs create a game people like to play people will be willing to overlook wonky issues.

When devs create a game that people don't really feel attracted to people will not be so forgiving of the game issues, in one example: Fallout 76
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Thahar
    The devs are selling it.  There's no requirement to buy that you have experience with software development and testing.

Sorry mate, I categorically disagree. Consumers buying a fully stated unfinished game at full price and then being pissed off when its, guess fucking what, unfinished, is expressly a consumer issue.

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development

This isn't buying a horse from market, Zebub.  We've gone way beyond consumers having the industry or product specification knowledge to be considered on the same level as the producers of the industry.
    No this is buying a pig in a poke. All it would take is for the consumer to have some fucking self discipline and wait a couple of days after release to see if the game is a shit show instead of jumping on every new game like a live fucking grenade, usually with the exact same result.

I agree its shit that companies are allowed to sell a product in this state, but its consumers spending money with zero self restraint that allows it to keep happening.
    This is the general public.  Your assertion that gamers should just show restraint ignores reality.  It's a statistical impossibility that you can get such a large population to act so consistently, just as it's a statistical impossibility that a population in a game won't contain a small number of folks willing to cheat.

Folks approaching this issue from the "consumers need to change" position are great...  As idealogues.  It's never going to be realistic, though.  And you'll be shouting this same line til the day you die.

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    How is it a dev's problem to realize they could abuse idiots that buy unfinished shit? it's definitely a consumer problem, i never experienced this in korea for a reason because they're united and will flame you if you pull this kind of crap. they would send a petition to the blue house for even games like lost ark https://www1.president.go.kr/petitions/440205?navigation=best-petitions

it stopped at 1829 signatures because no one shared the link after they fixed the large queue times.

Even the korean devs abuse the west since they know the consumers aren't that smart. they sold BDO which is f2p in korea for 10 dollars (or more if you want a better package) even garbage games like bless that has failed in 3 regions was being sold for 30 dollars, i couldn't believe my eyes when these fools bought the 70$~150$ founder packs..

the western consumers are a livestock at this point where all countries abuse them for cash grabs.
    they are ruining the gaming industry not the devs, if nobody buys into early access, the devs would have to stop.

fortunately for the devs you can't cure stupidity, they were warned that bless online was a complete failure but still managed to spend buy it for 30-150$..
    edited December 2018

Early Access Game

No this is buying a pig in a poke. All it would take is for the consumer to have some fucking self discipline and wait a couple of days after release to see if the game is a shit show instead of jumping on every new game like a live fucking grenade, usually with the exact same result.

I agree its shit that companies are allowed to sell a product in this state, but its consumers spending money with zero self restraint that allows it to keep happening.
    This is the general public.  Your assertion that gamers should just show restraint ignores reality.  It's a statistical impossibility that you can get such a large population to act so consistently, just as it's a statistical impossibility that a population in a game won't contain a small number of folks willing to cheat.

Folks approaching this issue from the "consumers need to change" position are great...  As idealogues.  It's never going to be realistic, though.  And you'll be shouting this same line til the day you die.
    Actually large populations do act predictably and consistently, (Facebook and Google are actually scary with this) but trying to get them to change their behavior, not an easy task and usually occurs over longer stretches of time. 

Back in 2002 you never could have sold a game in this state to such a willing large group, but years of treading the slippery slope has well conditioned consumers.

Asheram

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:

Early Access Game

Actually large populations do act predictably and consistently, (Facebook and Google are actually scary with this) but trying to get them to change their behavior, not an easy task and usually occurs over longer stretches of time. 

Back in 2002 you never could have sold a game in this state to such a willing large group, but years of treading the slippery slope has well conditioned consumers.

My post supports the predictability.  They will predictably buy games based on the hype of the developer.  You will never yell at gamers enough to get them to consistently avoid that, because you're herding cats.  The issue I have is with those who keep saying "if only consumers would just do X" as if it's as easy as sending a mass text out to gamers.  It's not.

It's much easier to approach the issue from the side of the producer.  If you really want the change to happen (instead of just soaking in one's own smug feeling of superiority for not participating), you'll approach it from the angle that's most realistic.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Kyleran said:
    trying to get them to change their behavior, not an easy task

[Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
    ciely said:
    How is it a dev's problem to realize they could abuse idiots that buy unfinished shit? it's definitely a consumer problem, i never experienced this in korea for a reason because they're united and will flame you if you pull this kind of crap. they would send a petition to the blue house for even games like lost ark https://www1.president.go.kr/petitions/440205?navigation=best-petitions

it stopped at 1829 signatures because no one shared the link after they fixed the large queue times.

Even the korean devs abuse the west since they know the consumers aren't that smart. they sold BDO which is f2p in korea for 10 dollars (or more if you want a better package) even garbage games like bless that has failed in 3 regions was being sold for 30 dollars, i couldn't believe my eyes when these fools bought the 70$~150$ founder packs..

the western consumers are a livestock at this point where all countries abuse them for cash grabs.
    they are ruining the gaming industry not the devs, if nobody buys into early access, the devs would have to stop.

fortunately for the devs you can't cure stupidity, they were warned that bless online was a complete failure but still managed to spend buy it for 30-150$..
    You just asked, essentially, why society would punish the scam artist/snake oil salesman instead of the people being scammed/taken advantage of.

edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

Only in gaming can a product be proven serious flawed yet consumers willingly buy in.
    When devs create a game people like to play people will be willing to overlook wonky issues.

When devs create a game that people don't really feel attracted to people will not be so forgiving of the game issues, in one example: Fallout 76
    True, but it's a matter of expectations as well.  People expect a big name publisher charging full retail on a "released" title to deliver a higher quality game.

ARK understandably has set the bar far lower, by calling it early access, charging a much lower price, and their reputation precedes them, not in a good way.

Meaning many expected it to be a poorly optimised,  incomplete game and feel the price charged is a good value.

After all $25.00 is a pittance for most gamers, I've got several titles in my Steam Library in a similar range that I've never broken the seal on, and perhaps never will.

We often fail to keep this in perspective, not like we are buying major purchases here.

BTW, I include myself in the above mentioned "we" category.

Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:

True, but it's a matter of expectations as well.  People expect a big name publisher charging full retail on a "released" title to deliver a higher quality game.

ARK understandably has set the bar far lower, by calling it early access, charging a much lower price, and their reputation precedes them, not in a good way.

Meaning many expected it to be a poorly optimised,  incomplete game and feel the price charged is a good value.

After all $25.00 is a pittance for most gamers, I've got several titles in my Steam Library in a similar range that I've never broken the seal on, and perhaps never will.

We often fail to keep this in perspective, not like we are buying major purchases here.

BTW, I include myself in the above mentioned "we" category.
    Agreed.  We too often approach these comparisons as if the context is always completely the same.

Doing so is dangerous, but natural.
    Kyleran

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     I think all of the EA industry problems will work  out eventually. In niche markets it has already begun to clear up. It won't ever completely go away, this EA trend is following the same trajectory as Free to Play did years ago. I was here when we started screaming about it ...much like today. As a good example of a market clearing itself of the EA trend ... BR's. The success of Fortnite (as much as I don't like it) took a buggy, broken, cash grab theme and released a quality game which all BR's are now compared to. This is turn caused the more successful EA BR's to step their game up. That's how I see it at least .. I still hate Kickstarters but I've long since given up with EA's and cash grabs.... if it's fun and I get my moneys worth, so be it. 
    Kyleran
    edited December 2018
    Redemp said:
     I think all of the EA industry problems will work  out eventually. In niche markets it has already begun to clear up. It won't ever completely go away, this EA trend is following the same trajectory as Free to Play did years ago. I was here when we started screaming about it ...much like today. As a good example of a market clearing itself of the EA trend ... BR's. The success of Fortnite (as much as I don't like it) took a buggy, broken, cash grab theme and released a quality game which all BR's are now compared to. This is turn caused the more successful EA BR's to step their game up. That's how I see it at least .. I still hate Kickstarters but I've long since given up with EA's and cash grabs.... if it's fun and I get my moneys worth, so be it. 
    My position on EA and crowdfunding is certainly that you should only buy it when you've determined you feel the game that you can get right at that moment is worth the price.  That's the best way to ensure you don't feel/get burned.
    RedempKyleranThahar

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited December 2018
    Lot easier getting into Atlas today. Devs have been working hard on it.

Regarding the negative reviews...... did anyone mention that it's early access. LOL. You can't expect positive reviews from early access. 
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711KyleranThahar

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited December 2018
    Tokken said:

Regarding the negative reviews...... did anyone mention that it's early access. LOL. You can't expect positive reviews from early access. 
    The last part isn't actually true, though.  Subnautica, for example, released Early Access to very positive reviews and has maintained said positive reviews through it's release.

It's possible, but you gotta actually put a pretty good (if unfinished) product out on EA.
    Kyleran

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    In my opinion, there should be a limit of an hour or two before you're able to make a review on a product. If someone wants to share their frustrations of the game, there's always the discussion section.
    [Deleted User]

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    My experience so far, I made a deformed character, spawn into a mountain. Finally got out from inside the mountain, looked around to basically see a survival game and nothing else. Lost connection and haven't been able to play again. Will try again later and see if I can get it working right.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tokken said:

ESO was one of the worse releases I've ever seen and it took them years to get their act together, so were a few other games at launch.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    did they sell you DLCs by now? =)
    [Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited December 2018
    People expected something better than it was.
    Its ARK plays like ARK, looks like ARK has all the issue's of ARK and then some, is 2x or more more laggier and jumpy than ARK was at release. The hidden menu that showed ARK DLC's and stuff has now been patched out.

I could have lived with much o fthe stuff EXCEPT that the game is just not very playable at all and that is whats really chivved me off. It's also why i have put in a refund request BEFORE any of the allowed stuff comes close to being reached. 1 minute over 2hrs and they can refuse refund. mine is not an hour.

Pared it as a new game BUT no differances other than when gathering you gather stuff under a differant name (not named stone/flint etc but something else) BUT they have the ARK names in the schetics and crafting discriptions, they did not rename this part. Its a pure and simple PORT over of ARK with a 40k playerbase (lies) 150 players per zone (yep limited starting places so one wont get to log in) though i think they removed that so you spawn anywhere, can be somewhere out at sea or on an empty beach only but very small island.... option kill yourself and try again for a new spawn in.

I personally cannot recommend this game as it currently stands, i would also recommend people to hold off and wait, those who purchased it and have not reached refundable stop stage have to make a decision, those that have are just unfortunate. At least a 3 month wait period and then see whats happened with this, but dont expect anything at all differant than ARK because that is just plainly what it is, Dino less Ark.

PS There is a point that one has to step back and say ENOUGH is ENOUGH of taking our money and giving us TRASH. It's about time software companies and developers started to actually care again and give decent games out. I do understand the argument that its early access BUT dont go using that as an excuse for everything that gets released, EA it has to be at least F-in playable and ATLAS is NOT!!!!
    People expected something better than it was.
    Its ARK plays like ARK, looks like ARK has all the issue's of ARK and then some, is 2x or more more laggier and jumpy than ARK was at release. The hidden menu that showed ARK DLC's and stuff has now been patched out.

I could have lived with much o fthe stuff EXCEPT that the game is just not very playable at all and that is whats really chivved me off. It's also why i have put in a refund request BEFORE any of the allowed stuff comes close to being reached. 1 minute over 2hrs and they can refuse refund. mine is not an hour.

Pared it as a new game BUT no differances other than when gathering you gather stuff under a differant name (not named stone/flint etc but something else) BUT they have the ARK names in the schetics and crafting discriptions, they did not rename this part. Its a pure and simple PORT over of ARK with a 40k playerbase (lies) 150 players per zone (yep limited starting places so one wont get to log in) though i think they removed that so you spawn anywhere, can be somewhere out at sea or on an empty beach only but very small island.... option kill yourself and try again for a new spawn in.

I personally cannot recommend this game as it currently stands, i would also recommend people to hold off and wait, those who purchased it and have not reached refundable stop stage have to make a decision, those that have are just unfortunate. At least a 3 month wait period and then see whats happened with this, but dont expect anything at all differant than ARK because that is just plainly what it is, Dino less Ark.

PS There is a point that one has to step back and say ENOUGH is ENOUGH of taking our money and giving us TRASH. It's about time software companies and developers started to actually care again and give decent games out. I do understand the argument that its early access BUT dont go using that as an excuse for everything that gets released, EA it has to be at least F-in playable and ATLAS is NOT!!!!
    I believe 36K or so people playing the game right now would disagree with your final assessment.

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Redemp said:
    I really dont see EA as a problem so long as you are willing to do a bit of research and be a bit patient.

I've purchased many games in EA and have only been burned once- And now that many of those games are in release state the price I paid was much lower (not that big a deal in the age of steam sales but still...)