Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas Mostly Negative on Steam

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Tokken said:
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    If the Devs weren't charging money for a beta test, then yeah, maybe.
    [Deleted User]KyleranPhry
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    If you are interested in the game then try it for your self. I have no interest in the game but if I did I would buy it regardless of the reviews. Some of the best games I have enjoyed are ones that did not get good reviews. 
    KyleranPanther2103
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    edited December 2018
    From those who manage to play without daunting server problems attm:

Waiting for the dedicated server software tho, should give the official servers breathing room.

[Deleted User]PhryKyleranThahar
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,379
    Isn't this just a reskiined Ark?  If so why the surprise?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

Well lets see to what i read on the main page..Oh wait i forgot people can't read on Steam..

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

I retired retroactively..Haha

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

Proves people are desperate for a new MMO. And wasting money on crap.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Hariken said:

Proves people are desperate for a new MMO. And wasting money on crap.
    200k+ people have been eagerly anticipating the game on Twitch for over a week, if anything it proves that Twitch is unmatched as a platform for free advertisement (which will directly effect your sales in a positive way due to hype).

It's a top seller as a direct result of that marketing, which is also why the reviews are overwhelmingly negative. People got hyped, bought into the marketing, and then realized it wasn't what they expected or became frustrated with the technical issues.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    It's safe to assume that if your didn't like ARK, you won't like this game.
    RedempMadFrenchie
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Well Ark was released in far worse shape,like basically a pile of crap.

This game i guess some underwater bugs,the combat/pvp animations look hitchy as hell,some dumb ideas like punching rock is how to attain some sand,i doubt even the most primitive of beings would try and punch rock.

Forsen is playing with his band of misfits,that is good enough reason to stay far away because if he plays it ,it must cater to 6 year olds.

Yes some streamers will give games a hefty boost but some will ruin your product with how they act,carry themselves in game.
    I totally believe that post that mentions this was an Ark dlc at one time and NOT a standalone game and that would be the answer to my original question as to why this game just came out of nowhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

People are expressing their own disappointment, they are not telling anyone else to be disappointed.

Oh come now, you know that in this current web culture there are some motherfuckers doing exactly that. 

And yet when devs treat consumer in general like gullible idiots because that's the way so many act, those same folks trying to whine about folks calling them stupid for buying into that crap will be crying foul and expecting consolation and solidarity from fellow gamers who were smarter with their money.

And as such, the cycle of gamers attacking gamers continues while devs continue to pull shitty moves and watch as that tribalism literally makes them money.

[Deleted User]

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    This is undoubtly a (cheap) game which originally was intended to be a mod for ARK (the hidden menu strongly suggests it, with the "ocean" addition to settings). I bought it nevertheless, and had some hours into it before the lag became too bad (played at night in EU). If I disregard the technical issues, theres still parts which heavily annoy me, concerning the gameplay;

When announced, it was announced as a game with a massive playerbase. I never really thought the numbers 60 000 was it? I dont remember, but lots of zeros) could be accurate, but still, its a pretty damned big downgrade to actual 150 players isnt it. In particular because I am a vivid PvP'r, enjoying mass scale battles (I actually had a lot of fun early stage ArcheAge with the large sea-battles), and max 150 players, weher some do pve, some craft, some explore, some are taking a dump, well, in the end, what you will have is smallscale. Not at all living up to my expectations. Not at all.
    Then the combat. I admit I think its pretty shite. Maybe worse. Chose weapon left click. Move. Right click. Move.
    The graphics doesnt look anywhere near what was presented during various trailers, which clearly was labeled as actual gameplay. Booo.
    UI is terrible. Really really bad.
    customization is shallow, including character progression. Hit a tree with your fist to collect lumber? Wtf? Devs, please, just give the newbies some starting equipment so you and they dont have to make a jackass of it.
    Copy paste confirmed.And I dont like it. I dont expect every island to be unique, but so far theres 5 various island models. 
    Thats about what I have discovered personally the few hours playing it. I have a feeling theres more to it. Have tried to stay away from the streams, but have been told theyre not too impressed either.
    And that EA tag. WTF is that? Its a mod of ARK, which has been in EA for how long? 4-5 years? How long are companies allowed to stay in EA with their games and thus tanking shit performance and gameplay? Its about time Steam places a LIMIT on EA status. Get your shit sorted in max 1 year as soon as you start charging for a game or refunds.
    MaurgrimGobstopper3D
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

People are expressing their own disappointment, they are not telling anyone else to be disappointed.

You’re trying awfully hard to be a Debbie Downer though, unless you own Atlas and are expressing your disappointment to every single person in every single thread...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited December 2018
    Even high end PCs struggle to get good FPS, one of my gaming friend bought it and he get about 20-25fps and his setup is I5 7600, 16 gig ram and 1070ti card, dosent matter what setting he uses always the same crappy fps.

So I recommend Naval Action if you want you wooden boat pirate game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Maurgrim said:
    Even high end PCs struggle to get good FPS, one of my gaming friend bought it and he get about 20-25fps and his setup is I5 7600, 16 gig ram and 1070ti card, dosent matter what setting he uses always the same crappy fps.
    As to be expected really, they've made no claims towards the game's current optimization level, and I'm not sure this studio is terribly good at doing so.  Not likely to ever be much more stable or optimized than ARK currently is considering they are clearly building on and extending on it's framework.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

Oh come now, you know that in this current web culture there are some motherfuckers doing exactly that. 

And yet when devs treat consumer in general like gullible idiots because that's the way so many act, those same folks trying to whine about folks calling them stupid for buying into that crap will be crying foul and expecting consolation and solidarity from fellow gamers who were smarter with their money.

And as such, the cycle of gamers attacking gamers continues while devs continue to pull shitty moves and watch as that tribalism literally makes them money.

Yeah man, its like that guy @Kyleran continuing to enjoy Fallout 76 no matter how many times I have expressed my intense displeasure of it. Man what an asshole. >:)
    Can't disagree, in fact have learned to sort of revel in being one.  :)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Maurgrim said:

Is Naval Action like world of tanks where you only really control your boat?
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Asheram said:
    Maurgrim said:

Is Naval Action like world of tanks where you only really control your boat?
    It's like EVE but set in the Caribbean.
    [Deleted User]
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Our alpha early access game has lag ! Negative Review !
    [Deleted User]

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    PC Game Fun = buying unfinished bulls#!t so you can monetize negative social conversation about it.

In that regard bad games = good games. Folks wonder why devs keep releasing trash. It's all the positive reinforcement from attention seekers and the "look at me" populace.

Bad developers + bad consumers...  

MadFrenchieGrunt350KyleranHatefullThahar
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Our alpha early access game has lag ! Negative Review !
    The devs are selling it.  There's no requirement to buy that you have experience with software development and testing.

Sounds like a dev problem to me, not a consumer one.

• peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 174
    There's no justification for the state of the game.

People that also expected ANYTHING different after the initial trailer being absolute garbage are also delusional and is partly the reason early access is in the state it is. 

Game was announced out of nowhere. Had the most janky fake looking trailer imaginable and idiots eat it up. Nothing will change while idiots buy instantly.

No "survival mmo" has been good. They're all the same.

Game is a complete joke and everyone that bought it even more so.

JeffSpicoliMaurgrimKyleranGobstopper3D
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Phry said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    Its day one, could you imagine what WoWs review would of been after day one?
    If WoW had been an asset flip of Everquest, probably very similar  ;)
    LoL, if WoW had been an asset flip of EQ, it would have been re-using just about nothing from EQ.  People forget that when WoW came out it was a light year ahead of EQ and the others at least.  It may be old and dated now, despite it's upgrades but it was a massive increase in visuals and capabilities way back then. 
    One simple example of one of the changes. Other games, including EQ, the changes in clothing/armor were nothing but skin swaps. WoW actually had geometry and 3d objects for some of theirs.  Most obvious example, shoulder armor. 

I'm not against your analogy, if you'd choose something that actually fit.  Maybe EQ vs EQ2 would be a lot closer to what you wanted, but EQ2 seemed a lot like an attempt to catch up to WoW to some extent, or so it seemed to me.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760

Atlas has its own merits to be its own game, yet we see people bitchy that it's built upon Ark and booo them.

You'd better have a look at what been happening with mainstream publishers because this Atlas thing is mostly barking as the caravan passes by, they're not doing anything against gamers but to offer one game they show want to play, aside of that they'll initial release struggles are the normal thing that improves over time.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Keep in mind Ark was mostly negative reviews when it was in Early Access and was also on the top seller list for a while.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    One nice thing about Atlas, I been playing on pvp servers and have run into alot of people and have not been ganked once.
    Unlike Red Dead Online where I get murdered within the first few minutes almost everytime I log onto free roam.
    Plus RDO is still in beta yet they are selling cash shop gold bars.