Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think could save World of Warcraft ?

Comments

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    OP doesn't get it, you can't save something that is already a universal success. 14 years later and it still makes the money it makes. 

Everything eventually dies off, you can only reinvent the same product for so long until its no longer viable. 

14 years of profits makes the OP's point laughable at best.

What you should be asking for is a successor game to WoW not attempting to "fix" something that is already dated. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]MendelTuor7
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dragnelus said:
    WoW classic on mobile with a cash shop. Or just classic f2p with a cash shop.

/sarcasm

It would be the ultimate 'kicker' if it was a mobile only thing, i don't want a f2p game though either, WoW classic with a subscription and no cash shop and no 'sharding'. I don't care if its also on mobiles, i have a mobile phone that is not a smart phone (its kept in the car for emergencies!)  so could honestly care less about mobile gaming generally, i have a PC and a lot of games, some of which i may never get around to playing!  :p
    Also the fact that they are now opening a classic server signals one thing. They will be going into semi maintenance mode soon enough. Next thing that comes out will be "progression servers". Just wait. 
    delete5230
    strykr619 said:
    Also the fact that they are now opening a classic server signals one thing. They will be going into semi maintenance mode soon enough. Next thing that comes out will be "progression servers". Just wait. 
    Nothing wrong with that if players are into it, the way things are going with WoW BfA they need to bring as many players back as they can, personally i think WoW Classic will end up having the most players compared to BfA, but i can see the appeal of Progression, it worked well enough for Everquest i guess.  ;)
    Phry said:
    the way things are going with WoW BfA they need to bring as many players back as they can, ...
    Not really sure of what you're talking about here...
    What I personally observe is: my guild grows (that's small scale, granted), the BG, raid and dungeon queues haven't increased (obvious hint of a healthy population), and you still have as many players as ever in the open world, in the hubs and also on the field notably for world PvP, and finally no server has been shut down since BFA release.

Not sure what kind of "hint" that WoW is somehow dying you can find in there, except maybe if you are like the OP, pulling numbers out of nowhere of course.
    I didn't say the game was dying, but its obvious the game is not doing nearly as well as it used to, even though it likely still has over 1m active subs.
    BfA has upset a lot of players, but its just the latest 'misstep' on Blizzards part.
    I honestly think that WoW Classic could end up being more popular than BfA+, maybe that is nostalgia, but given how much the game has changed, i think a lot of that 'nostalgia' is a genuine desire to play the game the way it used to be played with the features that the game used to have.
    I don't think Warfronts work and the 'open world' part of the game has a much degraded gameplay experience, which is part of the problem.

Of course this is my own opinion based on my own experience of WoW etc. But until WoW Classic is released its kind of difficult to come up with some hard data, although if Blizzard sees a large boost in revenue after Classics release that in itself should be enough.
    As for pulling numbers out of 'nowhere', with all the news from Blizzard lately, i think there is significant room for conjecture. ;)
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    they could make new expansions and fix everything that broke the game and take it in a whole new direction, timelines and alternate worlds have already been put into the universe why not use them :D
    [Deleted User]
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Just turn it B2P/F2P at some point.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    edited December 2018
    a time machine to take us back prior to the Activision aquisition of Blizzard Entertainment to show blizzard the 2018 blizzcon sponsored by Activision followed by the question do you not have souls?
    Phry said:
    strykr619 said:
    Nothing wrong with that if players are into it, the way things are going with WoW BfA they need to bring as many players back as they can, personally i think WoW Classic will end up having the most players compared to BfA, but i can see the appeal of Progression, it worked well enough for Everquest i guess.  ;)
    I agree that their is nothing wrong with that, people just need to understand the logic behind it an know that at the point the game is will no longer be actively developed and be in maintenance mode that's all. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Dragnelus said:

/sarcasm

That is when WoW will be truly dead to me.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2018
    Dragnelus said:

/sarcasm

If they ever say this as an april fools joke, rest assure it will happen.
    Phry

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Blizzards WoW,
    It appears to me World of Warcraft is finally going into decline.

I despise what every expansion did to the game but thats on me.  Putting that aside I actually feel bad for the extremely lucrative company...... Not that our opinions count for anything, what would you do to save this game ? 

My opinion:
    First, take a look at what happened.
    - Age, it's old
    - Expansions, however important to survival they will cause a perpetual spiral down hill in all cases. 
    - Demographic changes from the original product.
    - Long term cater to end game players.  You can't keep them forever.

Second, my solution.
    Take Vanilla, DON'T make an expansion, but add more levels, classes, more starting, mid level, and end game AT LEVEL 60.  Keep the original difficulty and resell it as new.

Be a humanitarian company for awhile and give "extra" something back to the public against the nature of Big Business Practices.  For survival long term this must happen.  Later add expansions and start the process over again.

Working on both greed and offering a quality product together will cause greed to prevail eventually... Hence deterioration.  
    lol except WoW is still wildly successful, Overwatch also very successful, Diablo still making money. So I am not sure that they need help, to be honest.

What would I do? The same thing Blizz did back in 2000. Take a look around the industry, see what people like, put that all together in a nice bright package, make it accessible for everyone from 8 to 80, and sell it. Enjoy another 12 (most likely many more ) years of success.

LOL WoW is dying, haven't I been reading that since 2004 when I joined this site? Yes, yes I have and it still is not true.
    [Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    The best chance Blizzard has to stem the decline is to fully embrace Classic and transition it into something like Oldschool Runescape where they add new content and don't stray from the Vanilla formula.

I just cant see them stopping the decline on Live at this point the game has had so many changes over the years its simply a different game and has lost the "WoW magic". They realise this and we're getting Classic as a result.
    delete5230[Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    iixviiiix said:
    Ungood said:
    You have to define what you mean by "Save"

Right now, WoW is still king of the hill, and 12 years after launch it still remains what all other MMO's hope to become as far as success goes.

I think some people just want to return to nostalgia, but.. to quote a song "The good old days weren't always good" - Billy Joel.

It is 15 next year , not 12 . Also, WoW only king of the hill in west , east still in chaos .
    BTW , idk why OP want to "save" something that no need to save .
    I had to check this, because I thought it launched in 2006. Turns out it launched in 2004.

Not sure why the play about and not just say that it is 14 years old tho.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    A time machine.
    [Deleted User]

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2018
    Vhayne said:
    Many other things Blizzard has basically dropped from the game, or abandoned for whatever reason....sometimes no reason at all.  

Tradeskills - What happened to gems?  Or glyphs?  Or cool engineering tricks?  Or enchantments to armor?  Removed for "balance"?  Or was it just "removed because I can't be bothered with balancing it"?

Tier Sets (class armor) - I'm fine with removing the "set bonus" stuff.  But come on.  Since 2004 we have always looked forward to new class-defining looks on the tier sets.  Specific to each class, with their own look.  Mage looks different than Warlock, even though they both wear cloth.  But they dropped that in BfA.  Now it's just a different set for each armor type, with a shader applied to whatever difficulty that armor comes from.  

Copies of armor/weapons for new content - Again, with BfA...but now we have "new" stuff, that are just reshades of previous expansion's assets.  

This happens with world design also, well specifically buildings.  For example, still using the same ship designs from the first 2 or 3 expansions (remember that's still 10 years).  

The removal of talent trees - I get it.  I didn't understand then, but I get it now.  I don't mind it anymore that they removed the awesome freedom and potential gimping of your character.  BUT, to not add anymore tiers to the 100-120 bracket is just incredibly lazy. 

Spells/Abilities - Still nothing new to look forward to...years and years now (at least 4) we have waited for new abilities for our classes.  Still nothing.  Oh, we get balance changes from time to time that does "change" the way they behave, and rarely they add in a new one for a specific class but they also remove some too.  All in the name of "balance".  

To sum it all up

WoW began well, with good ideas.  I think they lost their footing along the way though.  They forgot why it was considered so great in it's earlier days (no, I'm not a supporter of "Classic" - I loved it, but I don't want to replay it).  

Mages actually had to polymorph stuff in dungeons.  You had to work hard to stay alive and quest so you could level (nothing like EQ, but still ALOT harder than today's WoW) which gave a sense of accomplishment to the player.  Gold wasn't easy to come by, you had to strive to save enough to unlock game-changing abilities like epic riding skill or flying.  Lots of other reasons.  

Today's WoW is all about end-game.  I don't despise the End-game model currently.  I mean I really enjoy the raiding and mythic dungeons and world quests sometimes.  But the reward systems will suck the life out of you, and is like a spotlight on Blizzard, showing how they want you to take a LONG time to advance so that you have to keep subscribing.  Time-gated content (dailies and weeklies) were ridiculous when they were introduced to the game a decade ago, and they are even worse now.  

Whatever happened to Blizzard's motto of FUN being the most important factor?  I remember when their excuse for removing something from the game was because, "we just don't think players find this to be fun overall".  Like the development of Diablo 3, and them removing or changing some abilities around because they just were not "fun to use".  

When did they ever come to the conclusion that time-gated content, no new class abilities, no new class armor, no new talents, was "fun"?  When did they determine that getting Artifact Power was "fun"?  (oooo a "rare" mob, Ima go kill it to get some loot.....and you get.....a tiny amount of AP).  This game needs a super injection dose of FUN back into it, and the removal of systems that are not "fun".  

I feel the game is being entirely led by the Art design team at this point.  It's the only area the game seems to be in a constant state of evolution with.  
    This guy nailed it ! 
    Being the same as most of you, I don't play it.  
    He has first hand knowledge along with article after article, YouTube after YouTube of how the game had deuterated away from what really made the game famous. 

Everyone here knows it's an abomination of what it was.  The problem is most everyone here is fickle.  They say one thing and then say another.  

World of Warcraft still has several years left to milk the cash cow, a few expansions too !!! 

It's still mainstream and people like mainstream just because it's mainstream.  This is what people do.... BUT THATS ALL IT IS.... Its the only thing keeping it alive.  

Mainstream is never to be underestimated, it's very very powerful.  People are sheep.  A huge profit can made knowing that..... WoW is proof !  

It's hard pressed to find someone that truly likes it.  

It's hard to find streamers or YouTubes where people say it's a great game.  What you do find is players going through the motions with their friends.  The competition among themselves. 

This can't last forever, or could it ?...… That all depends on how loyal the sheep are in being sheep !!! 

The original question still stands, what could save World of Warcraft ?  
    Most just went off on a tangent of how great WoW still is,  

Yet they don't play it themselves :#
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    it is 14 years old ready , instead of save it , better to kill it off to make a new one .
    You have to know that once an MMORPG go wrong , it can't go back . For example FF14 , they don't save , they kill and make a new one .
    Tuor7
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Nothing. Everything has an end. Every MMORPG will decline and eventually be turned offline.
    Tuor7
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I was not aware that WoW needed saving, seems to have more subs than any other game to this day still.

[Deleted User]Hatefull
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I think Classic will save WoW again.
    JeffSpicoliPhry
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited December 2018
    Just a quick FYI for everyone here , there is a difference between a game being financially successful and a game being universally celebrated as a "success" or a enjoyable experience, I'm guessing OP is referring to the latter. EA's Madden makes money every year but ask any true fan of the series what they think of the game and they will tell you it is re hashed utter horse shit.

The Star Wars Disney movies are  were making money but ask any REAL Star Wars fans what they thought of the movies and they will tell you they were dumpster fires.

We really don't know what Blizzard "expects " to make off wow in 2018/2019 so even though X amount of players are currently subbed in Blizzards eyes that could be a huge failure, we would never know.

The universal opinion is BFA is garbage, Unless you are a share holder and your only concern is the current value of the stock then Yes WOW could use some saving.

Context is everything 
    deniterTuor7
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    edited December 2018
    thunderC said:
    [...] EA's Madden makes money every year but ask any true fan [...]

The Star Wars Disney movies are  were making money but ask any REAL Star Wars fans [...]

[...]

The universal opinion is BFA is garbage, Unless you are a share holder and your only concern is the current value of the stock then Yes WOW could use some saving.
    You might want to look up the No True Scotsman fallacy.

[Deleted User]
  • jeatacjeatac Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Warcraft is doing fine. It's subscriber base is twice that of any other game and I don't see it ending for many years to come.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited December 2018
    Myria said:
    thunderC said:
    [...] EA's Madden makes money every year but ask any true fan [...]

The Star Wars Disney movies are  were making money but ask any REAL Star Wars fans [...]

[...]

You might want to look up the No True Scotsman fallacy.

If you disagree with me thats fine but i could link you dozens of youtube video's of both Madden & Star Wars Disney movies where the comments are filled with a overwhelming amount of negativity. I'm not sure if that would make my case stronger ? I'm guessing someone who quotes "No True Scotsman's fallacy" probably not lol.

Anyway Merry Christmas friend
    Tuor7
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2018
    Someone please fill me in on where to find these sub numbers, since it seems like everyone has them or something. You can't even determine the game's population in game due to phase so the whole line about 'I always see people no matter where I go' is mute. Does it have more character than other games on the market today? Probably. Keep in mind too that a lot of these 'subs' are from token, so think about it this way, if the token wasn't released, how 'popular' would this game really be? I honestly haven't given Blizzard any of my money since they allowed you to convert tokens into blizzard balance and thanks to legion, those that played probably were in the same boat.

Now, how the game is doing financially is a whole different topic since you can look at how much money FFXIV pools in quarterly which is relative to wow's yet supposedly has less subscribers. Sub numbers never equals financial superiority. In fact and unfortunately, sub numbers are irrelevant since most of these companies care more about bringing in fresh faces than keeping their old ones. Why? People that's a whole new market for their cash shop, especially FFXIV which updates their cash shop monthly yet people get pissed at blizzard over 1 mount being added every 3 months or something (even though people are more upset about the timing of the mount releases vs the actual mounts going into the shop).