Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas Mostly Negative on Steam

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,073
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    KyleranMadFrenchieUngood
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,917
    edited December 2018
    Well, is it that bad?

Matters not, I have the Storm Fleet and the Brazen Coalition and a bottle of rum! Fuck the Vampires! Well, not literally. ;)

(Ixalan's a very nice set)
    Post edited by Gorwe on
    Tokken
  • MarcSingerMarcSinger Member EpicPosts: 2,558
    Gorwe said:
    Well, is it that bad?

Matters not, I have the Storm Fleet and the Brazen Coalition and a bottle of rum! Fuck the Vmpires! Well, not literally. ;)

(Ixalan's a very nice set)
    No its actually fun, If you keep your expectations realistic ......
    TokkenTorvalRedempKyleran

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Tokken said:
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    That would only send the signal to devs that they don't need to even attempt to launch smoothly; no Steam user can note the stability/performance issues for a month.
    MarcSingerTokkenTorvalScorchienKyleranThahar

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Tokken said:

All that will do is allow people putting out a garbage product to collect funds for a garbage game for a month with impunity. Do it right and put out a quality product. First impressions are important.
    TokkenPhry
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,968
    Tokken said:
    If the Devs weren't charging money for a beta test, then yeah, maybe.
    TorvalKyleranPhry
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,854
    If you are interested in the game then try it for your self. I have no interest in the game but if I did I would buy it regardless of the reviews. Some of the best games I have enjoyed are ones that did not get good reviews. 
    KyleranPanther2103
    Xbox One X
    Samsung MU6300 4K HDR
    Sony HT-CT80 2.1ch Soundbar with Bluetooth

AMD Ryzen 3 1200
    ASRock B450M Steel Legend
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB
    ASRock Phantom RX 560

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,735
    edited December 2018
    From those who manage to play without daunting server problems attm:

Waiting for the dedicated server software tho, should give the official servers breathing room.

TorvalPhryKyleranThahar
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,503
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

People are expressing their own disappointment, they are not telling anyone else to be disappointed.

Oh come now, you know that in this current web culture there are some motherfuckers doing exactly that. 

RedempTorvalrojoArcueidThahar

"What if I told you 'insane' was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

Tokken said:
    Or alternatively people shouldn't buy into an unfinished, early access title and expect it to behave like a finished and polished product. 
    TorvalrojoArcueid

"What if I told you 'insane' was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 2,776
    Isn't this just a reskiined Ark?  If so why the surprise?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, samsung evo 860 500gb SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 236
    29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

Well lets see to what i read on the main page..Oh wait i forgot people can't read on Steam..

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

I retired retroactively..Haha

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,261
    29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

Proves people are desperate for a new MMO. And wasting money on crap.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,373
    Hariken said:

It doesnt prove that people are desperate for any new MMO.

Remember that ARK sold 7 million copies- huge fanbase for a specific survival based type of game.

Majority of Atlas players are ARK players.

Concluding that this same thing would happen for any other MMO is wrong.

So no - people are not desperate for a new MMO - this is a huge ARK fanbase buying the next "ark" game
    TillerRedempMisterZebubThaharTrolldefender99poorbaby
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Hariken said:

200k+ people have been eagerly anticipating the game on Twitch for over a week, if anything it proves that Twitch is unmatched as a platform for free advertisement (which will directly effect your sales in a positive way due to hype).

It's a top seller as a direct result of that marketing, which is also why the reviews are overwhelmingly negative. People got hyped, bought into the marketing, and then realized it wasn't what they expected or became frustrated with the technical issues.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,570
    It's safe to assume that if your didn't like ARK, you won't like this game.
    RedempMadFrenchie

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,009
    edited December 2018
    Well Ark was released in far worse shape,like basically a pile of crap.

This game i guess some underwater bugs,the combat/pvp animations look hitchy as hell,some dumb ideas like punching rock is how to attain some sand,i doubt even the most primitive of beings would try and punch rock.

Forsen is playing with his band of misfits,that is good enough reason to stay far away because if he plays it ,it must cater to 6 year olds.

Yes some streamers will give games a hefty boost but some will ruin your product with how they act,carry themselves in game.
    I totally believe that post that mentions this was an Ark dlc at one time and NOT a standalone game and that would be the answer to my original question as to why this game just came out of nowhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited December 2018
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

People are expressing their own disappointment, they are not telling anyone else to be disappointed.

Oh come now, you know that in this current web culture there are some motherfuckers doing exactly that. 

And yet when devs treat consumer in general like gullible idiots because that's the way so many act, those same folks trying to whine about folks calling them stupid for buying into that crap will be crying foul and expecting consolation and solidarity from fellow gamers who were smarter with their money.

And as such, the cycle of gamers attacking gamers continues while devs continue to pull shitty moves and watch as that tribalism literally makes them money.

MisterZebub

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 45
    This is undoubtly a (cheap) game which originally was intended to be a mod for ARK (the hidden menu strongly suggests it, with the "ocean" addition to settings). I bought it nevertheless, and had some hours into it before the lag became too bad (played at night in EU). If I disregard the technical issues, theres still parts which heavily annoy me, concerning the gameplay;

When announced, it was announced as a game with a massive playerbase. I never really thought the numbers 60 000 was it? I dont remember, but lots of zeros) could be accurate, but still, its a pretty damned big downgrade to actual 150 players isnt it. In particular because I am a vivid PvP'r, enjoying mass scale battles (I actually had a lot of fun early stage ArcheAge with the large sea-battles), and max 150 players, weher some do pve, some craft, some explore, some are taking a dump, well, in the end, what you will have is smallscale. Not at all living up to my expectations. Not at all.
    Then the combat. I admit I think its pretty shite. Maybe worse. Chose weapon left click. Move. Right click. Move.
    The graphics doesnt look anywhere near what was presented during various trailers, which clearly was labeled as actual gameplay. Booo.
    UI is terrible. Really really bad.
    customization is shallow, including character progression. Hit a tree with your fist to collect lumber? Wtf? Devs, please, just give the newbies some starting equipment so you and they dont have to make a jackass of it.
    Copy paste confirmed.And I dont like it. I dont expect every island to be unique, but so far theres 5 various island models. 
    Thats about what I have discovered personally the few hours playing it. I have a feeling theres more to it. Have tried to stay away from the streams, but have been told theyre not too impressed either.
    And that EA tag. WTF is that? Its a mod of ARK, which has been in EA for how long? 4-5 years? How long are companies allowed to stay in EA with their games and thus tanking shit performance and gameplay? Its about time Steam places a LIMIT on EA status. Get your shit sorted in max 1 year as soon as you start charging for a game or refunds.
    MaurgrimGobstopper3D
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,479
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

You’re trying awfully hard to be a Debbie Downer though, unless you own Atlas and are expressing your disappointment to every single person in every single thread...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Torval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,166
    edited December 2018
    Even high end PCs struggle to get good FPS, one of my gaming friend bought it and he get about 20-25fps and his setup is I5 7600, 16 gig ram and 1070ti card, dosent matter what setting he uses always the same crappy fps.

So I recommend Naval Action if you want you wooden boat pirate game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,776
    Maurgrim said:
    Even high end PCs struggle to get good FPS, one of my gaming friend bought it and he get about 20-25fps and his setup is I5 7600, 16 gig ram and 1070ti card, dosent matter what setting he uses always the same crappy fps.
    As to be expected really, they've made no claims towards the game's current optimization level, and I'm not sure this studio is terribly good at doing so.  Not likely to ever be much more stable or optimized than ARK currently is considering they are clearly building on and extending on it's framework.

MisterZebubTorval

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

And yet when devs treat consumer in general like gullible idiots because that's the way so many act, those same folks trying to whine about folks calling them stupid for buying into that crap will be crying foul and expecting consolation and solidarity from fellow gamers who were smarter with their money.

And as such, the cycle of gamers attacking gamers continues while devs continue to pull shitty moves and watch as that tribalism literally makes them money.

Yeah man, its like that guy @Kyleran continuing to enjoy Fallout 76 no matter how many times I have expressed my intense displeasure of it. Man what an asshole. >:)
    KyleranAsheramMadFrenchie

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,776
    DMKano said:
    Redemp said:

Yeah man, its like that guy @Kyleran continuing to enjoy Fallout 76 no matter how many times I have expressed my intense displeasure of it. Man what an asshole. >:)
    Can't disagree, in fact have learned to sort of revel in being one.  :)
    MisterZebub

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 3,662
    Maurgrim said:

So I recommend Naval Action if you want you wooden boat pirate game.
    Is Naval Action like world of tanks where you only really control your boat?