Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any old School MMORPG Players going to play Atlas?

124»

Comments

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239
    No, I didn't like Ark, I won't like Atlas.

(Akiraosc)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    still looking forward to playing Atlas..... Huge Ark Fan.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited December 2018
    @Tokken yes lol as your  huge ark fan the devs dont want to dissapoint you  so they gifted you another ARK
    TokkenPopple
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

You've played it already - it is ARK, reskinned on a new map
    There are certainly aspects of Ark in the game..... some animal reskins, crafting, similiar mechanics, etc.  They have polished things a bit better.. I haven't been able to explore the maps like i wanted to yet.   
    [Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

Well the good news is as I've never played ARK perhaps I'll finally get a chance to.

I wonder if eventually they offer a "dinosaur " themed DLC pack? 

Probably,  they could do a bit of reskining and call it "Sea Monsters of the Deep."

Don't laugh, it is probably in the plan somewhere.

;)
    Tokken

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

Well the good news is as I've never played ARK perhaps I'll finally get a chance to.

Probably,  they could do a bit of reskining and call it "Sea Monsters of the Deep."

;)
    It is planned to release about 1.5 years before the base game is finished.  That's how Wildcard rolls.
    Kyleran

Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

;)
    It is planned to release about 1.5 years before the base game is finished.  That's how Wildcard rolls.
    Exactly my thought on it, you just know there will be one or more DLC packs "sold" before the game's formal launch.

It worked well before, no reason to vary from a successful monetization model.

I don't understand the buying behaviors of modern gamers, (baffles me actually) but I'm getting pretty good at reading what paths some developers will take to market their products.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

;)
    Exactly my thought on it, you just know there will be one or more DLC packs "sold" before the game's formal launch.

I don't understand the buying behaviors of modern gamers, (baffles me actually) but I'm getting pretty good at reading what paths some developers will take to market their products.
    Apparently Wildcard apologized after that release, but if we're being technical, Wildcard isn't actually developing Atlas, as they changed their studio name for seemingly no reason ala Sergei Titov.

I dislike that move, but mostly because we've seen it used before to trick gamers into thinking the studio's new title isn't being developed by the same folks as the previous title for nefarious reasons.
    Kyleran

edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

;)
    There are already Sea Monsters of the Deep in game.

badermal said:
    @Tokken yes lol as your  huge ark fan the devs dont want to dissapoint you  so they gifted you another ARK
    It's true. I loved Ark, 2500 hrs in the game.  LOL  I hope Atlas has the same effect.

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited December 2018
    I was going to play, but i think i will let this thing stay in the oven a little longer and see what happens

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Tokken said:

;)

You don't understand their buying behaviors? It goes like this, say you're a Fallout fan and Bethesda releases... you see where I'm going with this? I think the baffling part, to me anyway, is how our feelings about two different games can be so diametrically opposed and how that causes us to act so differently to two different titles that aren't all that different. It happens all the time with MMOs. They're all essentially the same gameplay loop, with a few mechanical variations, but we try and paint them as radically different from one another.
    I see more differences than similarities in the current examples, at least in terms of degree.

Fans of ARK, you're joking yes? At least as compared to Bethesda with a long history of titles people have have enjoyed.

Wait, there's more, Fallout 76, for better or worse, a "released" game, (perhaps it shouldn't have been) which did not go through a protracted early access cycle (again, perhaps they should have) not did they "sell" me anything years in advance of launch. ( I did pre-order a few weeks in advance of launch, first game I've done so since ArcheAge Alpha)

Sure, FO76 is an extension of FO4, but I've yet to see a single drop down menu from the earlier title, don't recall the launch being a total shit show (wasn't delayed multiple times), might have run poorly for many, (never an issue for me, but I waited a few weeks post launch) but certainly hasn't experienced the challenges some folks in this title has.

Perhaps it's more a matter of degree than anything else, at different ends of the spectrum.