Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For anyone looking to join Project 1999, but do not have the disks

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,166
    edited April 2018
    Fearsyn said:
    These files have been downloaded and used by over 300 people. Not a single one has had an issue with the integrity or security. No one is asking you to download it. If you don't feel safe, then by all means, do not download. But as you can see, there are people here who have downloaded it and are not having any issues, like myself.

Stealing should always be a big issue.

Its pretty amazing to me how some here are completely ok with piracy
    snoockyjimmywolfTheScavengerblueturtle13
  • ColossalGyroColossalGyro Member UncommonPosts: 8
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:
    These files have been downloaded and used by over 300 people. Not a single one has had an issue with the integrity or security. No one is asking you to download it. If you don't feel safe, then by all means, do not download. But as you can see, there are people here who have downloaded it and are not having any issues, like myself.

This version of the game is no longer supported and has been given the Green Light by Daybreak to share this version. There is no theft here. Please do not spread false information.
    craftseekerXodicjimmywolf
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,256
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:

You absolutely need these files to be able to play the project 1999 server. Which was greenlit by Daybreak to run, they just didn't give them the greenlight to distribute the files themselves. This version of EQ is not at retail anymore, and the only way to buy it would be over Ebay or a similar service, where you are giving someone else money for the product and they would see 0 dollars out of that. 

While I may be technically advocating piracy, it's pirating a version of the game that is running on a free server that the company said is okay to run. 

To me it seems the opposite, it's amazing to me how people are willing to throw any download under the piracy category, even if the company themselves will never see a dollar of that money. 
    ColossalGyroXodic
  • ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225
    Maybe Daybreak needs to clue in and cash in on Project 1999 by offering Titanium Edition sets again.  At least they'd make some money.
    Gyva02
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,837
    I've noticed my local salvation army store has a used gaming disk section.  Perhaps some EQ disks are there also.  I can never bring myself to get rid of my old disks so I still have a quit a few.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,256
    I've noticed my local salvation army store has a used gaming disk section.  Perhaps some EQ disks are there also.  I can never bring myself to get rid of my old disks so I still have a quit a few.
    Thrift stores that carry used PC games sometimes have really cool things. I've seen EQ in my local thrift store before but it was never a collection, usually one expansion. 
  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited September 2018
    From a previous EQ titanium d/l (Everquest_Titanium_CD1.ccd [created a DIF Disk Image File 819610KB], _CD2 [821590KB], _CD3 [821590KB], _CD4 [821590KB], _CD5 [752891KB]). That download created these large KB DIF and a _CD1.sub type for each of the five CD.

What do you do next to install the EQ1 from these five expanded DIF indo a designated EQ1 folder
    Presume one must goto the p1999 site to do some kind of adjustment to the patcher,
    but so far can not get past these DIF into an actual installed game.

btw how big should the EQ titanium install be in MB, before  and after the p1999 patch process?

I think my basic EQ folder was/is 3.84GB

In your drive.google.com link i can d/l the first three CD1 to 3 but CD4 or CD5 will not d/l nor will 'download all' work.

edit
    found the CD4 and CD5 d/l (DownLoad) popups way over on the lower right corner of the other monitor. Also the two 'download all' popups ( 1.98GB and 1.36GB files) they contined three and two of the five iso CD files, were also way over in the lower rt corner of the other moniter/display.
    Mouse clicking the single file (EQ_TITANIUM_CD1 - Copy) inside the folder brought up a Windows Disc Image Burner popup, trying to use a -R cd caused a burn error message 0xC0AA0007.
    Trying a +Rcd so far is making it through the burn process. 

[url=http://wiki.project1999.com/Everquest_Titanium_Installation_Guide ] EQ Titanium Installation Guide[/url]
    [url=https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651 ] Project 1999 guidebook [/url] so the new installed EQ Titaniumn patches to the p99 server and not the SOE server.
    You will aolso need  to setup a free EQ Emulator account and related Login Server account

btw does Smeadly own all the rights to old EQ, or did they go back to McQuaid?
    SOE still seems to be still making money off their EQ1 progression servers.
    Anything that brings interest back to EQ will serve SOE's commercial interest.

Post edited by bhug on

edited September 2018
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:

This version of the game is no longer supported and has been given the Green Light by Daybreak to share this version. There is no theft here. Please do not spread false information.

This is wrong sir.

The client is not free - Daybreak gave the green light to have the servers running, but the client is NOT FREE to distribute.

If the client was free - why doesnt Project 99 have client download on their site?

Hmm?

Might want to get your info straight before calling me out on false information 

Here let me help you:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

"2) Getting Started - Play Guide

In order to play on Project 1999 you must obtain a copy of Everquest: Titanium Edition. Only a clean Titanium install will work. You must acquire this on your own as we cannot distribute it, however there are many places to accomplish this. You do not need a valid CD Key."
    Post edited by DMKano on
    blueturtle13qendiil
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Why would they waste their resources on distributing software they no longer support or charge for?  I am all for legitimacy but in this regard, I see the distribution of this software as being ok as the only people selling the game are doing so outside of the original EULA anyways if the serial code has been perviously applied to an account.
    Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - you are not realizing that the link you provided is actually piracy.

Project 99 was ok'd by SOE and now Daybreak to host the *servers* - they were NEVER given the right to distribute the client.

It even says so on their site - everyone has to obtain the client themselves - legally - as in purchasing the Everquest Titanium edition - as that's the only one that will work.

That is the legal way to play P99.

If it were OK to freely distribute the client - P99 site would have the client download there - but they can't as that is not what the agreement is.

So free client downloads of EQ Titanium edition are actually considered illegal distribution/piracy.
    I'll bet you are a riot at parties.  :)
    lol, do you see his post count, he doesn't get invited to any parties.
    MadCoderOne
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:

You absolutely need these files to be able to play the project 1999 server. Which was greenlit by Daybreak to run, they just didn't give them the greenlight to distribute the files themselves. This version of EQ is not at retail anymore, and the only way to buy it would be over Ebay or a similar service, where you are giving someone else money for the product and they would see 0 dollars out of that. 

While I may be technically advocating piracy, it's pirating a version of the game that is running on a free server that the company said is okay to run. 

To me it seems the opposite, it's amazing to me how people are willing to throw any download under the piracy category, even if the company themselves will never see a dollar of that money. 

Again if the client was free Project 99 site would have download links for it on their site. Why don't they?

They dont - because they only have the rights to host the server, they were never given the rights to distribute the client.

Daybreak is under expectation that people who play Project 99 have purchased the game at some point from SOE and thus have the client already.

Let's call spade a spade - people who have never purchased EQ1 and are torrenting/downloading the client for free are indeed doing so illegally - aka software piracy.

blueturtle13qendiil
    Why try and shut down the influx of what could be a positive experience for players under your perspective of piracy? The game is no longer being supported or distributed by the original developer and only being sold 3rd party and in many cases illegitimately due to the serial number being used, it isn't piracy only your perception of it. I think it is great someone is distributing a gaming experience that could be great for many people that may other NEVER be able to access it because of the limitations of software due to THE DEWVELOPER DEVELOPER NO LONGER SUPPORTING OR SELLING THE SOFTWARE. Let's call a spade a spade - the software is not readily available and this is a great way to get a great gaming experience out there for new and old. illigitamately 
    LazyDazed said:
    Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - you are not realizing that the link you provided is actually piracy.

Project 99 was ok'd by SOE and now Daybreak to host the *servers* - they were NEVER given the right to distribute the client.

It even says so on their site - everyone has to obtain the client themselves - legally - as in purchasing the Everquest Titanium edition - as that's the only one that will work.

That is the legal way to play P99.

If it were OK to freely distribute the client - P99 site would have the client download there - but they can't as that is not what the agreement is.

So free client downloads of EQ Titanium edition are actually considered illegal distribution/piracy.
    I'll bet you are a riot at parties.  :)
    lol, do you see his post count, he doesn't get invited to any parties.

Ah post count shaming - awesome
    blueturtle13
    LazyDazed said:
    Why would they waste their resources on distributing software they no longer support or charge for?  I am all for legitimacy but in this regard, I see the distribution of this software as being ok as the only people selling the game are doing so outside of the original EULA anyways if the serial code has been perviously applied to an account.

Its not about wasting resources - it's about not being given the right to distribute the client.

It's a legal issue, I know this might be a hard concept to grasp but business have to abide by laws.

Again just go to Project 99 site and click on getting started link - read section 2. I pasted it above.

Enjoy :)
    Let something good happen, no lawyer is going to be on a doorstep over the use of this software. Sit back and let people enjoy life.
    LazyDazed said:
    Why try and shut down the influx of what could be a positive experience for players under your perspective of piracy? The game is no longer being supported or distributed by the original developer and only being sold 3rd party and in many cases illegitimately due to the serial number being used, it isn't piracy only your perception of it. I think it is great someone is distributing a gaming experience that could be great for many people that may other NEVER be able to access it because of the limitations of software due to THE DEWVELOPER DEVELOPER NO LONGER SUPPORTING OR SELLING THE SOFTWARE. Let's call a spade a spade - the software is not readily available and this is a great way to get a great gaming experience out there for new and old. illigitamately 

Hey people will do what they will, do you think that me saying anything will stop anyone from downloading stuff illegally?

Lol nobody gives 2 shits what anyone says - there are millions who torrent stuff illegally 24/7

My intention is not to stop anyone - I just want to point out facts and that is all - which in this case is that Daybreak only gave the green light to host the servers and not the client. 

People will do what they want regardless. 
    Kano would be rolling over in his grave if he knew his name was being represented by a nancy.
    LazyDazed said:
    Let something good happen, no lawyer is going to be on a doorstep over the use of this software. Sit back and let people enjoy life.

I am sitting back and letting people enjoy life lol - do you see me in front of anyone's house ruining their day?

If what I am saying on this forum is somehow stopping people from enjoying their life by pointing out how project 99 doesnt have the right to distribute the client, and neither does anyone else - lol
    LazyDazed said:
    Kano would be rolling over in his grave if he knew his name was being represented by a nancy.
    Aww poor thing. I guess it's a good thing he isn't real, pixels dont roll in graves ;)
    blueturtle13
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,823
    I agree with Kano on this. Project 99 is a fan site for fans of the original game. They are presuming those who play on this server are in fact owners of the software that is required to take advantage of it. If it was 'just ok' to hand out years of digital work done by others then why do they not distribute the software themselves? They cant. It would be illegal. 

DMKano

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,767
    This was the same issue back when I was playing on SWGEMU. The client was not legally distributed buy the EMU hosts.
    DMKano
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,823
    bhug said:

btw does Smeadly own all the rights to old EQ, or did they go back to McQuaid?
    SOE still seems to be still making money off their EQ1 progression servers.
    Anything that brings interest back to EQ will serve SOE's commercial interest.

Why would Brad get the rights? He was just a hired programmer. 
    He was just one of many people involved in the creation of the graphical DikuMUD game. Like Bill and Steve. 
    John did all the heavy lifting to get SISA the money to actually make it. 
    Once more Brad getting more credit than he actually deserves. 

Regardless, none of those involved in the creation of the graphical MUD owns the rights to the IP Everquest.  

craftseekercheyane

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited December 2018
    If we buy the build from a third party site, we are either buying unused keys or pirated keys, either way these key have been paid for and profited by the developer ages ago. Any transactions at this point would not result any profit to the current developer DBG. Not to mention, that most people needing this particular build have probably bought the game multiple times. I myself have purchased Everquest about 20 times since its release back in 1999, including expansions. I am also against piracy but when something like this falls into a grey area, i think we can chill out a bit on the call for piracy.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

Brunlin said:
    If we buy the build from a third party site, we are either buying unused keys or pirated keys, either way these key have been paid for and profited by the developer ages ago. Any transactions at this point would not result any profit to the current developer DBG. Not to mention, that most people needing this particular build have probably bought the game multiple times. I myself have purchased Everquest about 20 times since its release back in 1999, including expansions. I am also against piracy but when something like this falls into a grey area, i think we can chill out a bit on the call for piracy.

You can rationalize it however you want, as far as keys already paid for etc.. this is all a moot point.

I happen to agree with you on many points that you bring up - but none of that matters.
    The reality is that *nobody* has the legal right to distribute the Project 99 client. People selling their own copies of the Titanium edition are probably the closest to legal as you can get - as this gets into software resale rights

I don't think this falls into a gray area - if it did - all of this would be explained on P99 site - the only thing that they say very clearly is that they cannot distrubute the client.

And that is correct - again like I said - 99% of the P99 playerbase is playing with a pirated client and probably all of them are completely fine with that idea.

Just like millions of people are completely fine with piracy in general.

None of what I am saying is intended to change behaviors - simply stating facts.

craftseekerTrolldefender99poorbaby
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 205
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:

This is wrong sir.

The client is not free - Daybreak gave the green light to have the servers running, but the client is NOT FREE to distribute.

If the client was free - why doesnt Project 99 have client download on their site?

Hmm?

Might want to get your info straight before calling me out on false information 

Here let me help you:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

"2) Getting Started - Play Guide

In order to play on Project 1999 you must obtain a copy of Everquest: Titanium Edition. Only a clean Titanium install will work. You must acquire this on your own as we cannot distribute it, however there are many places to accomplish this. You do not need a valid CD Key."
    Did you miss the sentence that states YOU DO NOT NEED A VALID CD KEY.

If it is not ok to share the client, you would need a valid cd key.
    TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...