Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High population, PVE-centric MMO?

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
I've played most MMOs over the last few years, notably:

- WoW: since vanilla, up to, but not including, the last expansion. Not going back there
- FFXIV: best PvE I've ever seen. Got all classes maxed. Waiting for the next expansion
- ESO: it's... ok, I guess. There isn't a real sense of progression, very linear
- GW2: man, I really want to love this game, but the lack of dungeons, and especially the lack of Trinity, doesn't keep me addicted
- SWTOR: I'm a SW fan, and love the stories, but the community is very toxic and elitist. Also waiting for the new expansion
- LOTRO: loved this to death. Then the server changed hands (again) and wiped all my characters, without reason, nor chance to recover them. Not going to restart again. Excellent community, by far the best I've seen
- AION: played at release, and like most Korean MMOs, a grindfest
- WildStar: very spammy/clicky. Dead
- EVE: PvE is very repetitive, dislike the progression system
- Albion: Extreme P2W, extreme grind, PvP-centric
- Runescape (3 and Classic): tried several times, doesn't click with me. Don't know why. Feels very grindy
- Rift: loved the classes system. Now on life support, leeching money from its players

Some I haven't really played much, but after some research, they don't seem for me (prove me wrong):

- TERA: similar feel to AION, grindfest, elitist community, only endgame matters
- Black Desert: P2W, PvP-centric
- Blade and Soul: seems PvP-centric, low population

What did I miss? Should I keep trying Tera or BnS? I need a popular MMO, with some decent Trinity dungeons with teamwork and without a toxic community :)

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I would say try the New LOTRO server , sucks you lost your toons , But if you enjoyed it so much a fresh server may be fun for you ..

Ive recently jumped back into Age of Conan , and im really surprised at how active it is.. may be worth looking at
    Octagon7711
  • JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Wow, AoC is still alive? I remember I had a lot of fun with my shaman bear thing
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Jaldren said:
    Wow, AoC is still alive? I remember I had a lot of fun with my shaman bear thing
    Ha , thats what ive been lvling a Bear Shaman , very fun class..
    Octagon7711H0urg1ass
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    good post
    Octagon7711

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    I do believe that your calling WildStar "dead" is the proper usage of the term.  Far too many people seem to use it to mean "launched more than a few months ago".  But after they've pulled the plug, it's definitely dead.

As for your question itself, your preferences are so wildly different from mine that I really can't help you.  I thought of FFXIV as a mostly combat game with bad combat, though it did do everything else besides combat well.
    ConstantineMerus
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, based on your post i think you want people to tell you to go play the latest WoW expansion.

I noticed you gave real reasons why you don't want to play the other games on your list, but for WoW you only said you are not going back there. No reason why? You said you are only missing the new expansion. Might as well give it a go.

My thoughts.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I noticed you didn't list EQ1.  It's still active and the various specialty servers have reasonably healthy populations, especially when they start.  The legacy servers are pretty much a solo experience until you solo to 75th or higher; all the active population is at the high end.

EQ2 is still around, again, most of the population is near max level, so if you're interested in grouping a lot, bring some friends.  You can, if you choose, obtain a higher level character at startup to cut down some of the solo grind.  Not all of it, just some.

Can't help with the toxicity of any community, though.  You mileage may vary.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Jaldren said:
    - LOTRO: loved this to death. Then the server changed hands (again) and wiped all my characters, without reason, nor chance to recover them. Not going to restart again. Excellent community, by far the best I've seen

I need a popular MMO, with some decent Trinity dungeons with teamwork and without a toxic community :)
    Since you have spoken highly about LotRO and it has what you need, especially the excellent community, you could give it an another try. Their legendary server experiment is still fresh, everyone started anew on those, maybe you can make a new home there.

Jaldren said:
    Alive and with a decent population on the PvE server Crom (Fury, the pvp is quite empty, but you seek the PvE anyways).
    Funcom's focus is still on Exiles, so AoC gets nothing besides themed progression servers sometimes, so far there were two, the second with a pvp ruleset will end  soon.
    OP, based on your post i think you want people to tell you to go play the latest WoW expansion.

I noticed you gave real reasons why you don't want to play the other games on your list, but for WoW you only said you are not going back there. No reason why? You said you are only missing the new expansion. Might as well give it a go.

My thoughts.
    Former Blizzard employee. Spent too much time there, not to mention too many are saying that BFA is the worst exp to date
    rojoArcueid
    Po_gg said:
    Jaldren said:

I need a popular MMO, with some decent Trinity dungeons with teamwork and without a toxic community :)
    Since you have spoken highly about LotRO and it has what you need, especially the excellent community, you could give it an another try. Their legendary server experiment is still fresh, everyone started anew on those, maybe you can make a new home there.
    Hm, you might be right. There is only one thing to do, then: http://prntscr.com/lygu80
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Jaldren said:
    I've played most MMOs over the last few years, notably:

- WoW: since vanilla, up to, but not including, the last expansion. Not going back there
    - FFXIV: best PvE I've ever seen. Got all classes maxed. Waiting for the next expansion
    - ESO: it's... ok, I guess. There isn't a real sense of progression, very linear
    - GW2: man, I really want to love this game, but the lack of dungeons, and especially the lack of Trinity, doesn't keep me addicted
    - SWTOR: I'm a SW fan, and love the stories, but the community is very toxic and elitist. Also waiting for the new expansion
    - AION: played at release, and like most Korean MMOs, a grindfest
    - WildStar: very spammy/clicky. Dead
    - EVE: PvE is very repetitive, dislike the progression system
    - Albion: Extreme P2W, extreme grind, PvP-centric
    - Runescape (3 and Classic): tried several times, doesn't click with me. Don't know why. Feels very grindy
    - Rift: loved the classes system. Now on life support, leeching money from its players

Some I haven't really played much, but after some research, they don't seem for me (prove me wrong):

- TERA: similar feel to AION, grindfest, elitist community, only endgame matters
    - Black Desert: P2W, PvP-centric
    - Blade and Soul: seems PvP-centric, low population

What did I miss? Should I keep trying Tera or BnS? I need a popular MMO, with some decent Trinity dungeons with teamwork and without a toxic community :)
    There is none until Classic WOW.   Every MMORPG out there is either dead or a single player MMORPG. 
    delete5230Gdemami
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    DMKano said:
    But you said high population....
    The legendary was so crowded they had to open a second one :smile:  Ok, that was just the initial launch rush, but the servers are still in a good shape.

I'm curious about the "Then the server changed hands (again)" part, was it the server transfers, or earlier the Codies - Turbine handover? If the latter, the chances are low indeed, but either way, the Support might be able to do something. If it was the transfers, there's a chance they have backups somewhere...
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Wait 6 months and see if any of these indie mmos pan out, maybe Pantheon. Also, you may want to look into the up coming Torchlight mmo as well.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Those are most of the games I've played also.  The only ones I could add wouldn't be MMOs more like lobby games, Skyforge, The Division, Wildlands.  Since you enjoyed LotRO the most you should stick with that one.  Character wipes are bad but if playing a game like that gives you years of fun you should bite the bullet and stick with it.  Looks like nothing but more games like Destiny coming out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Po_gg said:
    I'm curious about the "Then the server changed hands (again)" part, was it the server transfers, or earlier the Codies - Turbine handover? If the latter, the chances are low indeed, but either way, the Support might be able to do something. If it was the transfers, there's a chance they have backups somewhere...
    If it was when Codemaster's shut down and he missed the transfer window to move his characters from them to Turbine then they are gone with no hope of revival.

If it was from the server merges, then his characters are still waiting in limbo to be transferred to an active server.    Someone on the official forums just came back after 8 years and transferred his from his old dead server to an active one.
    Octagon7711

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Nebless said:
    Po_gg said:
    If it was when Codemaster's shut down and he missed the transfer window to move his characters from them to Turbine then they are gone with no hope of revival.

If it was from the server merges, then his characters are still waiting in limbo to be transferred to an active server.    Someone on the official forums just came back after 8 years and transferred his from his old dead server to an active one.
    Yup, this is what happened. I was overseas without access to that particular email, so I wasn't notified. Never heard of any game that changed hands (there are many, for example Rift changed 3 times) and wiped the servers (including paid expansions!!). Maybe I'm still bitter about it, and that's why I won't give it a chance. I guess I'll wait for FFXIV 4.5 next month
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Jaldren said:
    Nebless said:
    Po_gg said:

Yup, this is what happened. I was overseas without access to that particular email, so I wasn't notified. Never heard of any game that changed hands (there are many, for example Rift changed 3 times) and wiped the servers (including paid expansions!!). Maybe I'm still bitter about it, and that's why I won't give it a chance. I guess I'll wait for FFXIV 4.5 next month
    LOTRO,
    About two years ago I was hot in playing this game again, ignoring the fact it turned to crap with easy and cash shop.

I went against my rule of NEVER purchasing anything in a cash shop and bought a Rune Keeper class (scumbag trick, they have going). I was about to purchase the second expansion too, but the game was so easy it was a waist of my life going through the motions of "easy" I decided to give up on the game all together.

Now they have a new (scumbag trick, they have going) server changing hands, new company and other changes.... All so they can pretend something new but never any talks about easy and the cash shop, THAT STAYS. 

I can't see myself ever re-downloading it to find out if I lost anything.

It's not an mmorpg, its a trick.
    Jaldren said:

If you don't think there's any progression in ESO, try completing a public dungeon with a freshly rolled level 1 noob. Don't send the repair bill to me.
    Got 5 lvl 30-50s. I speak from experience
    I decided to go back to FFXIV. Thanks for the conversation
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Scorchien said:
    Jaldren said:
    Ha , thats what ive been lvling a Bear Shaman , very fun class..
    Easily the most technical class in the whole game.  If you want to have both a great challenge and a ton of fun, then the Bear Shaman is where it's at.

My mains are Necromancer, Guardian and Bear Shaman with some Ranger on the side when I don't want to have to think.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Trinity Dungeons without a Toxic Community?.. Let me know when you find that one.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited December 2018
    It's very hard to reveal the answer to one of the best pve experiences in an mmorpg right now. It's not high population by most standards but it only means most are in a small group of guilds and finding dungeon groups is just as easy as high pop servers. It's perspective, and I'm afraid most gamers have a very narrow perspective.

It's a vanilla wow private server which I believe I cannot name specifically here due to rules. If only there was some symmetry between real world expressional freedom and restricted yet legally responsible forums.
    Gdemami

You stay sassy!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    It was popular to eat Tide pods for a while. I didn't try it out though. You might want to consider what is fun instead.

Just a suggestion.
    Tamanous
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well if you liked LotRO, have you given DDO a try?

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.