Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SQ 42 roadmap updated

2»

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Let the Praise not begin.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Pigozz said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Pigozz said:
    rodarin said:

FGrom the article:

By the end of 2017, the company brought in a total of $207 million and had spent $193 million since 2012. Capital on hand at the end of 2017 fell 26% to $14 million from the prior year. Total income—made up from fan pledges, its subscription pass and fan events like its annual CitizenCon event—has been consistent the past three years, with the company bringing in $44 million in 2017.
    Wait...is this for real?
    Do they really have only $14 million to spent, with the 46millions going only into marketing?

I want MaxBacon or Erilion confirm, its a simply yes/no question:

Do they have right now $14 million for development and 46 for marketing? +-1million (to cut of any "we dont know exactly" BS excuses)

Yes or no? 

The financials are here: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

It's on Cumulative Net Position, CIG uses the ongoing crowdfund to cover most of the operative cost, only keeping a cash reserve for costs beyond that income.

Thread for this here: https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/478267/cig-publishes-financials-for-years-2012-2017/p1
    So yes

Wow CR really did it - he burned through nearly 200 millions of dollars to create a messy empty buggy skeleton of a game which is years away(according to roadmap) even from MVP

This is some next level of development disaster

Chris Roberts is a cluelles arrogant incompetent spineless lying idiot

4 more years, another $200 million and you'll get the best game ever, just be patient yeah
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Pigozz said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Pigozz said:
    rodarin said:

FGrom the article:

By the end of 2017, the company brought in a total of $207 million and had spent $193 million since 2012. Capital on hand at the end of 2017 fell 26% to $14 million from the prior year. Total income—made up from fan pledges, its subscription pass and fan events like its annual CitizenCon event—has been consistent the past three years, with the company bringing in $44 million in 2017.
    Wait...is this for real?
    Do they really have only $14 million to spent, with the 46millions going only into marketing?

I want MaxBacon or Erilion confirm, its a simply yes/no question:

Do they have right now $14 million for development and 46 for marketing? +-1million (to cut of any "we dont know exactly" BS excuses)

Yes or no? 

The financials are here: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

It's on Cumulative Net Position, CIG uses the ongoing crowdfund to cover most of the operative cost, only keeping a cash reserve for costs beyond that income.

Thread for this here: https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/478267/cig-publishes-financials-for-years-2012-2017/p1
    So yes

Wow CR really did it - he burned through nearly 200 millions of dollars to create a messy empty buggy skeleton of a game which is years away(according to roadmap) even from MVP

This is some next level of development disaster

Chris Roberts is a cluelles arrogant incompetent spineless lying idiot

4 more years, another $200 million and you'll get the best game ever, just be patient yeah
    Maybe the best game ever. If CR golden parachutes and someone takes over who knows how to run a studio properly this might have a good chance
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    'Squadron 42' developers targeting 2020 for alpha, beta releases (The single-player game has been in development for eight years so far).

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/22/squadron-42-alpha-beta-2020-release/

Looks like the 46M injection was from a total of 2 people: a father and his son, who are record producers.  Does this make them the biggest SC backers to date?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    rodarin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    The question remains of whether this will be the last investment deal they make.  3 years is a long time, and the crowdfunding doesn't seem to have covered the ballooned costs of development CIG has created by scaling up to such a point.  And if they do, what caveats will they be willing to acquiesce to in order to secure the cash they need to finish the game?

The entire idea of this project was to avoid the traditional funding and, so, avoid pressures from investors.  If they start taking on traditional investors, the biggest reason CR stated for taking all this money from gamers is moot and invalid.

This is an interesting development.
    Yes but we are talking about this year itself beating the record crowdfunding year, so that front is shown stable, that together with the 46 million extra... They don't really have much of a problem.

They crowdfunded 43 million dollars in 2017 from all the sources, they show to have spent close to 49 million dollars.

So their income is not off from the operative cost when you add this investment over it, then they have more than enough maneuverability with this investment in upcoming years.
    go read that Forbes article they had 14 million left of the 210 or so they had raised. They were running on fumes. this money was a complete and total bail out. More than likely going ot be a tax right off before its all said and done. But the guy could still win the lottery have SQ 42 make it to release and he gets his money back, and as I have outlined a incentive laden pay scale beyond that.

FGrom the article:

Here is the thing on the idea that a release will generate a ton of new revenue and that is all the backers already get the game for backing it.  Question is how many people out there are still left who would be interested in the game?  It is a niche market the space sim and they are going out of the way to make it as realistic and tedious as possible.  For a segment of the gaming population this is awesome and fulfills that fantasy as a kid of being in Star Wars or whatever.  

I absolutely think it will sell copies but how many would be very interesting to see.  At the point of release all the backers become players and not revenue creators like they are now.
    A good release will generate a ton of money for them and others will buy the game because it will be considered a good game at that point.  It all depends on the quality of release, a bug filled SQ42 will crash and burn making it even harder to succeed with SC.  The only thing I would worry about is quality control, needing to take on additional investors due to over spending brought about by trying to do too much at the same time.  I think a lot of people are waiting for there to be an actual game and real player reviews after launch before buying it.  ED, NMS, X4 seem to be doing ok.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    'Squadron 42' developers targeting 2020 for alpha, beta releases (The single-player game has been in development for eight years so far).

Looks like the 46M injection was from a total of 2 people: a father and his son, who are record producers.  Does this make them the biggest SC backers to date?
    The dad made his money by selling off his music production company. The son, though, runs a motion picture development and production company. No red flags there...

Also, if anyone honestly believes that the 46mil is strictly for marketing a game that has already saturated its niche market and beyond, and is still years from beta, being made by a company that is running out of cash on hand... yyyyeahhh. That probably looked better on paper.

It is done when Clive says it's done.
    PhaserlightKefo
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    frostymug said:

The dad made his money by selling off his music production company. The son, though, runs a motion picture development and production company. No red flags there...

Also, if anyone honestly believes that the 46mil is strictly for marketing a game that has already saturated its niche market and beyond, and is still years from beta, being made by a company that is running out of cash on hand... yyyyeahhh. That probably looked better on paper.

I saw somewhere the son worked with Chris before on a few movies.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Yes CR did movies after WC, I think the highest grossing movie he was an executive producer on was The Punisher... So likely why Eli and CR are put as long-date friends.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    The Punisher is a perfect second name for Star Citizen at this point.
    Phaserlightkikoodutroa8
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited December 2018
    frostymug said:

He either worked with him or he ran the studio that financed ascendant. I’m probably remembering things wrong though since theres always drama surrounding CR and his (failed) ventures
  • asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    ok
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    $50 dollars is nothing to me, if it doesn't come out I charge back from my bank simple. 
    strykr619 said:
    $50 dollars is nothing to me, if it doesn't come out I charge back from my bank simple. 
    Most banks/card issuers have a limit on how long before you can’t  issue a chargeback anymore generally. If you wait 2-3 years your bank might just tell you too bad should have tried sooner