Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private Servers

randybabyrandybaby Member UncommonPosts: 25
I hear they are going to have private servers. Anyone got any links or info on this ?

Comments

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    https://www.survivalservers.com/services/game_servers/atlas/

Not advertising it, but a quick Google search listed a few hosting services that are advertising game hosting for it starting tomorrow. No idea how that is going to work, what the limits are, but at least it would appear that they think that they'll be able to sell that kind of hosting.

Kyleran
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I suggest you never play on a Private Server. Specially if it's PvP.

Private Servers ALWAYS have Admin Abuse (In one way or another) no matter what the Admin says!

Want to not have to worry about Admins secretly giving their Friends an Advantage? Play on Official Servers.
    [Deleted User]Phry

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Perhaps you folks just don't know the right people?  My private server experience has been great.  I prefer the choice to not having it all.  Since they've said there will be PVP, PVE, and private servers, there should be a fit for most everyone.
    Hengist

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Perhaps you folks just don't know the right people?  My private server experience has been great.  I prefer the choice to not having it all.  Since they've said there will be PVP, PVE, and private servers, there should be a fit for most everyone.

Totally agree.

I don't have high hopes (and I think it would be foolish if I did) joining some random server. Usually either rent one, or I go with a group of friends. Not every server is run by an idiot, but if you are blindly choosing, well....
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Private servers have abuse issues though, upset the wrong person, or perhaps win a fight you weren't supposed to and you could end up being banned for life, official servers you don't have to worry about that kind of thing. :/
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited December 2018
    Avanah said:
    I suggest you never play on a Private Server. Specially if it's PvP.

Private Servers ALWAYS have Admin Abuse (In one way or another) no matter what the Admin says!

Want to not have to worry about Admins secretly giving their Friends an Advantage? Play on Official Servers.
    True but you can play a game in a way that is simply not available officially. Such as GTA Cops and Robbers or GTA as a MMOish game.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    The Atlas dev kit looks pretty insane. You can basically create a whole other game if you have the skills or a decent team. Should be cool to see what people come up with.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • dragonsegg09dragonsegg09 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I have had great luck in Conan Exiles on private RP servers.  My favorite server is a permadeath PVP server and I have been playing it for over a year through 5 seasons.  I have never heard anyone bitch about the admins being biased.  The only bans have been for people egregiously violating the server rules and there have been only about 5 people banned in that time.  I think you have to look around a little but private servers are a god send if you want to RP and PVP.
    Palebane
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I hope they do have private servers.  The main servers are always so slow to level and gather resources. I don't have a lot of time to play games..... LOL

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Always had success with private servers in Ark - at EA launch I did the official thing until the private community was more robust. Will end up doing the same here ... official servers always seem to be an absolute mess, with vanilla rates and mega-tribes doing everything they can to win. Private servers with faction limits in Ark were much more enjoyable.

Tokken
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You can setup your own server,quite a bit of work though and a bit confusing.As poster mentioned "official can be a mess and guess what,they were lol.

The early pvp storm has already seemed to disappear,i sailed right through the China bases and large NA bases and seemed all were asleep or maybe even quit.The problem is land is still mostly scooped up and ship building docks all over the place.
    The transition from level 8 noob being forced into the hostile game environment is not well done so private servers ,especially the one i play on just seem way better.

I tried about 40 different servers and feel the one i am on now "Middle Earth"is easily the best with 4 grids.The settings are very fast,you can take that as immersion breaking or simply look at it as being able to get right into the action and be able to learn lots and do lots right away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    You have to pay quite a bit right to run a private server or can you do it for minimal costs?

• LoucharLouchar Member CommonPosts: 1
    kitarad said:
    You have to pay quite a bit right to run a private server or can you do it for minimal costs?

Depends on how many slots you pay for. The average cost is around $1 to $1.13 per slot. So the cheapest you can rent a server from say GPortal is going to be right around $15 per month for a 10 slot server, $20 and change for a 20 slot server and up it goes.

Each map on the server grid other than your main is considered an expansion. Adding expansions is free to do BUT each map has a min. slot count of 10. That means you have to have enough slots to cover the expansions you want.

I rent a private server for me and my daughter to play on. I started with a 20 slot server on a single map (1x1) and then decided I wanted a larger area to play so added an expansion which now provides me with a 2x1 (two maps connected) and my 20 slots were split to 10 slots per map.

If I decide to open my server up to others I will add an additional 10 to 20 slots but if I do it will be a whitelisted server to keep control over the type of player I have on the server.

I agree with those of you above discouraged by cheat admin. I've been running private servers for years and I have played on plenty as well. Finding a good private server is not always easy but they are out there and there are plenty of them. Admin abuse happens all the time and it sucks. Being a good admin you can still get accused of of cheating just because there are a lot of players out there that will automatically yell it out without justification. It is the go to rally cry of any upset player.

That said and because of this; I do not partake in PVP on my game servers. I do not raid either.

I Admin and I play but I do not put myself against any of the players on my server. I do not team up with people who play on my server (Other than my daughter) because I refuse to get involved. I enjoy building, gathering, exploring and fighting NPC/AI and if one of my players kill me, raid me or whatever...I just look the other way. In fact I usually set up some extra loot on my base just for those situations when players decide to raid me. I try to make things challenging for them.

What I am saying is this: The best Admins don't play. They host and monitor. There are plenty of good Admins that play and play fair and there is a ton of abuse by other Admins.

I fall into the good admin category. I think it has been proven to me over and over as I met, new players on my other servers and years later they still contact me in steam to find out if I will be hosting a server for some such game. That has always made me feel good knowing I treated everyone well and fair and they enjoy playing on my servers.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but...just wanted to speak my thoughts.

KyleranPhry[Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
    You can run your own server for free.There are a couple videos describing the process,a bit tricky but i think the biggest issue is simply the port forwarding and you have to download a program from Steam that allows you to play the game as a GM/server.

if you don't feel like like that approach,i highly suggest the private server i play on,it's fast skillups,everything is boosted so doesn't feel like a grind.get right into the fun.

The server i play on is a 4 square grid,3 PVE and 1 pvp and is called Middle Earth something or other.The server goes down often but i think that is because it is auto updating with the actual live updates,so you are right up to date with the newest patch or newest bugs lol.

I'd like to say that yes this developer did almost everything wrong with the release but the game is actually very intriguing and fun and very challenging/dangerous and the building is fun.The bottles floating with treasure map hints is actually fun and again very challenging.You can climb walls,craft a glider suit etc etc,tons of stuff to unlock and craft and do.

So there is no real battle for land,you can find a nice cozy spot somewhere guaranteed.Bottom line,i have not had this much fun and wanting to login in every day in many years.Bugs have been hammered down to a minimum now but you need a strong PC to play it well.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Wizardry said:
    You can run your own server for free.There are a couple videos describing the process,a bit tricky but i think the biggest issue is simply the port forwarding and you have to download a program from Steam that allows you to play the game as a GM/server.

if you don't feel like like that approach,i highly suggest the private server i play on,it's fast skillups,everything is boosted so doesn't feel like a grind.get right into the fun.

The server i play on is a 4 square grid,3 PVE and 1 pvp and is called Middle Earth something or other.The server goes down often but i think that is because it is auto updating with the actual live updates,so you are right up to date with the newest patch or newest bugs lol.

I'd like to say that yes this developer did almost everything wrong with the release but the game is actually very intriguing and fun and very challenging/dangerous and the building is fun.The bottles floating with treasure map hints is actually fun and again very challenging.You can climb walls,craft a glider suit etc etc,tons of stuff to unlock and craft and do.

So there is no real battle for land,you can find a nice cozy spot somewhere guaranteed.Bottom line,i have not had this much fun and wanting to login in every day in many years.Bugs have been hammered down to a minimum now but you need a strong PC to play it well.
    Rare is praise from you that I must take a look at this again.

Thanks @Louchar for the detailed explanation.
    KyleranPhry

I feel an update is needed.

A lot of players have left game,probably expected.No problem for me,i have fun just soloing building stuff and sailing and fighting creatures and ships of the damned,taming pets/mounts.

I feel two problems,a lack of information on the game frustrated a lot of people thinking most all problems are bugs.As well just not knowing can also be frustrating.Since i have played a couple weeks now,i feel i have a very good grasp of the entire game and to me it is still at least fun for me.I do not need a crowd to warrant a game being fun.

Most of the dilemma are not bugs ,they are ideas intended to be there.Example ships do not magically just destroy themselves,there are tornadoes that constantly pop up and do damage to ships.

Another example,pets are not randomly dying for no reason.A problem here is the lack of company log information so people jump to conclusions.What happens is Alpha creatures or aggro creatures can and will spawn among your pets and if they do they can kill your pets.

Players stuck,well this one is not really a bug but poor hindsight on the implementation.The stuck on boats part is as intended because players were crying others were sinking their ships by over weighing them.

Land claims:This again was from lack of knowledge.MANY players in game just started setting flags everywhere.Most those players joined company plots and will never go back to those old claims,so they are free to be stolen.MOST players have also left game,yes even some of those giant companies with several galleons and a large setup are not there ,leaving heir pets/tames free to claim and you claim the entire plot to yourself unless they are still active which many are not.

So if your reason for playing a game like this is PVE,nothing has changed,still better on private servers such as the 100+islands one or Middle Earth where i play.If your reason is large pvp then likely best on the official and even those have died down a lot.

Recently learned information:You can play on several servers,the information is kept in the files.The simple way to jump around if you have more than one server preference is to Rclick the game/properties/setup launch options in STEAM.Inside the box you simply add the line  +connect server address.
    It will auto join that server,ignore any warning or failures it is most likely connecting with no problems.So the line would be for example using the server i play on is +connect 85.190.158.22:52000 OR the 100 islands server is +connect 192.99.200.62:5101 <Canadian servers.

OR just use this site https://atlasserverlist.com/3/rank/asc  "adblocker off" and you can search for ip's or simply connect through that app but remember your actual server address,then you can add it the way i described.you can also setup desktop batch files but that is not  needed ,just do as i described.

Kyleran

I have to put in a very strong word for the server i play on +connect 85.190.158.22:52000 ,it is simply amazing and way more fun than the official servers.
    The settings are real fast/quick to get to the fun of the game.You will have lots of points very quickly to unlock stuff.

This admin shuts down right on que anytime there is an official update and more often if they add their own mods.The recent mod they added is just amazing,it allows us to store very large stacks,so no more clutter and less spaced used and less waste with food..The settings are also all buffs are magnified,Intelligence is buffed so you get better crafting results,harvesting is buffed so you get more mats per harvest,pets are buffed so they are not limited like the official pets that have a set maximum based on level you tamed it at.

Yep still having fun and i have yet to get into building warships to take out the Ship of the Damned which offer blueprints to build better ships and better weapons/cannons etc .

Two plus weeks in and i still feel like a noob but that's a good thing because it drives me to strive for better.You can find other good serves,it is very hit n miss,imo this one is by far the best if you just  want to get in fast and have fun.

In the next month give or take a week there is more content coming,more rewards a new giant Crab creature on the ocean floor stuff and for those that need their Wow fix....yep DAILIES  lmao.
    Phry

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Well , Wizardry , i gotta say its good to see you having Fun in a game , rather that pissing and moaning about every other game that other people are having fun in all these years ..

Enjoy the ride ..
  • Amelie5Amelie5 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Although they are called private, servers are open to the public and definitely want to get the most players as possible. People playing the game are our customers firstbankcard login.
    Post edited by Amelie5 on