Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry 42 Financials Released

Comments

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    edited December 2018
    My first post was pointing out my FPS completely aside from cognitive dissonance which you combined the 2, hence the strawman. My 2nd post I gave an example of cognitive dissonance by saying people are presently complaining about previous unplayable experiences when the game has had tremendous core mechanics recently added such as object container streaming. Complaining about something presently that has changed using outdated experiences that are no longer relevant is a good example of cognitive dissonance.
    MadFrenchieErillion
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I get over 100 FPS most the time in SC and have great dogfights every day yet people still act like its unplayable. My computer isn't even that great, its a few years old and I use a "Best bang for the buck" Strategy to build, so its not highly future proof. Even when the game comes out people will try to latch onto something to bring it down. I bet they will say, well they should have been able to develop 3 games with that money, or the game should have heart rate monitors, full VR, and the secret to the universe. Some people who are invested so heavily in a debate will just ignore evidence because of cognitive dissonance.  I still remember when people said SC will never have FPS or Star Marine.
    If users are reporting optimization/performance issues, your not having any doesn't mean it's not an issue.  Not sure why you would try to imply something as straightforward for a player to judge as performance is just folks trying to bring the game down.  Then you imply those folks are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

That's something that can be shown in a YouTube video clearly.
    Nice strawman argument. You are failing to understand the game is becoming smooth and very playable as time goes on. People arguing that its still unplayable are suffering from cognitive dissonance because of past experiences and ignorance of the present development. I stated my computer isnt great and I get over 100 fps, thats my current experience and I have had previous experiences but I stick with the game and I am well aware of its current state. That use to be the biggest argument of haters, the low fps. Now people still latch onto the old fps argument when its not true or they are using a computer way past due for upgrades.

I get it some people spent a shit ton of money, want the game now, and latch onto a release date that CR apologized for about and went into detail on why it changed. Ya it hasn't been a perfect development but to keep latching onto the previous statement about release dates and ignoring the ongoing development and currently very playable game is where the cognitive dissonance becomes obvious.

I think people are upset that a game they aren't interested in and is popular to hate on is getting tons of funding, resulting in jealousy. People dress it up as concern and pity but its not, its spite and jealousy as well as ego tripping on the people who want the project to succeed.
    So... I pledged because of SQ42.  Where exactly is my “very playable” game? 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    My first post was pointing out my FPS completely aside from cognitive dissonance which you combined the 2, hence the strawman. My 2nd post I gave an example of cognitive dissonance by saying people are presently complaining about previous unplayable experiences when the game has had tremendous core mechanics recently added such as object container streaming. Complaining about something presently that has changed using outdated experiences that are no longer relevant is a good example of cognitive dissonance.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Your original post seemed to imply people who complained about performance issues were making it up or exaggerating, which I took issue with because performance on PC is something that can vary for a baffling number of reasons, and using one's own experience as the bar for others in such a situation doesn't seem accurate.

Your mention of object container streaming, now that provides some good evidence of why folks need to give it a second look if they wrote it off earlier (myself included).  I may buy it if it's got a pretty good Christmas sale price so long as the performance holds up (lucky for us consumers, Steam has that refund policy that helps me find out without having to commit the money if it doesn't work out performance-wise).

If they applied all these performance improvements to Atlas, that would explain the crazy low minimum requirements for an open world game of this type.  I'm still waiting for the verdict on that one before I commit to trying it, though.

EDIT- Lmao, I confused this post line with posts I've made regarding Atlas/ARK.  That's why I was saying it was interesting to hear that Wildcard had used object container streaming, which was news to me.  I need to pay more attention to where I'm posting.

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Np at all :) I am pretty stoked on SC performance as of late. The game has had pretty damn unoptimized performance intermittently throughout its development. When 3.0 came out I couldn't play and was really frustrated. Some patches before that were better but it was off an on. Now when I log in and get 100 fps during dogfights, my mind is blown. The object container streaming is huge and its not even fully implemented yet, they keep adding to it and it gets better and better. My main purpose is PvP, so when I couldn't dogfight and practice at all for beta or full release, I was pretty upset. Now I am kinda just waiting for the new flight model and balance XD That could take awhile rofl.

Np at all :) I am pretty stoked on SC performance as of late. The game has had pretty damn unoptimized performance intermittently throughout its development. When 3.0 came out I couldn't play and was really frustrated. Some patches before that were better but it was off an on. Now when I log in and get 100 fps during dogfights, my mind is blown. The object container streaming is huge and its not even fully implemented yet, they keep adding to it and it gets better and better. My main purpose is PvP, so when I couldn't dogfight and practice at all for beta or full release, I was pretty upset. Now I am kinda just waiting for the new flight model and balance XD That could take awhile rofl.

Thanks for excusing my confusion on the titles. :D 

The difference you're noting is interesting for SC.  I've never been on the believer side because the effort is unprecedented for a reason, but for all my feelings about the general gullibility of gamers, I think crowdfunding has at least shown us that the are large chunks of gamers who are willing to spend money on the unusual, the innovative, and the cutting edge in their gaming hobbies.

I won't ever agree with the way these crowdfunding projects go about funding themselves, but at this point, wishing for SC's failure for the sake of it is akin to wishing for thousands of fellow humans to lose hundreds of millions of dollars for no reason.  That's not something I'm comfortable supporting, but it doesn't mean I won't be critical of the methods or how it might affect the industry moving forward.  So, for the record, I don't wish failure upon SC, even as I criticize the manner by which they stave off failure and continue to develop the game.  I wish an investor would decide it's worth it to pick up the tab and finish the funding in full so backers didn't have to pour any more of their own cash into it.

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Every now and then I pop into SC myself, and I'll tell you that there are plenty of optimization issues. No one I know can play without hiccups, and even when it does play smoothly there are always issues cropping up that remind you just how deep in alpha the project still is.

Considering the size of the project and the feature list it's not surprising, but let's not pretend these issues do not exist. CIG has made great strides on the technology front and I find myself more in agreement with the idea that the game will launch and be a functional if not good game when it does; however attempting to hide the fact that the project still has a LONG list of issues is simply dishonest.

When this is all over I'd love to see someone put together a breakdown of all the projects missteps and milestones; I think once all is said and done SC and SQ42 could be a fantastic study into the hurdles of such a massive project and even a case study as to why competent project leads are so damned vital to any endeavor.
    kitarad
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2018
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Makes all the sense to have 60% of your company costs in a country with a 25% video game tax break.

Just another genius move by CIG folks and again completely shiitting on the disingenuous "imminent collapse" and "mismanagement" FUD campaign from the last years by the sad and desperate haters lol

I wonder if the more livid haters living in the UK realise that their tax money is helping Star Citizen's development... would they ponder to move country? They could even use brexit as an excuse lol :D
    You really should curb your constant baiting.
    Not a fan of any censorship.  Let him talk and trust that people can read and make their own decisions.  I love it when people disagree with me and keep posting their reasons.  Just present a clear contrasting opinion and let folks decide on their own.

It isn't the presentation of a contrasting opinion I have an issue with.  It's the constant baiting with bullshit that's irrelevant and/or generalized attacks on character that I have an issue with.

Even then, if it weren't literally his number one posting goal, I wouldn't even pay attention.
    I have to agree with MadFrenchie.

I think 50% of his posts are okay, but 50% of his posts are designed to remind people that someone who disagreed with him was once wrong. Even his avatar is one that he picked after his opponent on these forums was wrong, eternally laughing at the losers.
    Even if some of my posting can often come across as abrasive or even rude by some can you realy fault me when I've been proven to be right more often than not?

Considering the ammount of "bullshit" thrown at this project and it's backers year after year I consider it public service by now lol

I guess you can say that no one ever notices when you’re been provoked, just when you retaliate  B) 
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Makes all the sense to have 60% of your company costs in a country with a 25% video game tax break.

Just another genius move by CIG folks and again completely shiitting on the disingenuous "imminent collapse" and "mismanagement" FUD campaign from the last years by the sad and desperate haters lol

I wonder if the more livid haters living in the UK realise that their tax money is helping Star Citizen's development... would they ponder to move country? They could even use brexit as an excuse lol :D
    Not a fan of any censorship.  Let him talk and trust that people can read and make their own decisions.  I love it when people disagree with me and keep posting their reasons.  Just present a clear contrasting opinion and let folks decide on their own.

It isn't the presentation of a contrasting opinion I have an issue with.  It's the constant baiting with bullshit that's irrelevant and/or generalized attacks on character that I have an issue with.

Even then, if it weren't literally his number one posting goal, I wouldn't even pay attention.

I think 50% of his posts are okay, but 50% of his posts are designed to remind people that someone who disagreed with him was once wrong. Even his avatar is one that he picked after his opponent on these forums was wrong, eternally laughing at the losers.
    Even if some of my posting can often come across as abrasive or even rude by some can you realy fault me when I've been prooven right more often than not?

Considering the ammount of "bullshit" thrown at this project and it's backers year after year I consider it public service by now lol

I guess you can say that one ever notices when you’re been provoked, just when you retaliate  B) 
    I quote you, but it isn't targetted at you alone. Sadly you're not the only one.

The average forum visitor is interested in a quality post. This starts with the Original Post. Sticking to this thread I have no clue what the OP is trying to tell me.
    Then an avalanche of posts appear. Posts which try to correct the previous post. I can read them all, but I don't believe any of those will inform me what the OP was trying to say.

Even if our power posters are "right" 6 out of 10 posts, it still means you're wrong 4 times. As a reader that doesn't help me at all, because I wouldn't know which 4 posts are incorrect. Every time I see a name next to a post I'll know this could be an "incorrect" post so I'll skip them all. I don't have time to read your post, do my own research and then decide you were right or wrong.

I've been a long time on this forum. Nowadays I only read the original post. I read what @SBFord has to say, as she usually has an honest opinion, is passioned about gaming and is good informed. I read what @BillMurphy has to say, as he is a veteran gamer and is also good informed. Sure there is the occasional "sponsored" article by their hands, but you can tell by reading the whole article. Sometimes it appears to be sponsored, but they actually like something that isn't accepted by the cool kids.
    As for other forum users there are a few who are informative and stay away from the forumwars. Their posts I like and I read. Wish people could be more like them and less like people in this thread. There's no need to correct the same people time after time. You know you're right and people would agree with you more if you had posted less ;)
    Kyleran
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

Even if some of my posting can often come across as abrasive or even rude by some can you realy fault me when I've been proven to be right more often than not?

I guess you can say that no one ever notices when you’re been provoked, just when you retaliate  B) 
    I was about to say what a hypocritical post this is coming from someone who constantly tries to spark argumentative reactions from people and used to say how shit ED is in every (other) post ;D...

Then I realized that you said that you've been proven right more often than not... and I realized you were joking... because we all know you've never been proven wrong.
    Just like CIG has never done anything wrong.

KyleranKefo

..Cake..

When you constantly have the same posters year after year attacking the project and it's backers with the constant "scam" or "imminent collapse" acusations, hyperbolic dramas, obfuscations and wishing for the game to crash I think it's only normal that people call them out for it.

Specialy when both the company and the game keep progressing at a steady rate and delivering on their milestones with more and more people joining everyday.

I mean they went from a handfull of people with an idea into a 500+ people company with studios across the world open developing 2 massively ambitious games, partenering with the likes of Amazon, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, just had their best year yet both in funding and in development progress AND just got  a Half-Biillion-Dollars valuation by a self made billlionaire lol

I mean c'mon  :D
    PlonkyErillionrpmcmurphy
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

That sounds like the sort of thing Derek Smart would say.
    Kefo
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

That sounds like the sort of thing Derek Smart would say.
    ...If Chris Roberts had backed Line of Defense, tried to get on board of the project, got ignored, started spreading fud, got refunded against it's will, became pissed and then spent his life trying to harm the project and attack it's backers for 3 years years and counting lol

Yeah right... :D
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Babuinix said:
    When you constantly have the same posters year after year attacking the project and it's backers with the constant "scam" or "imminent collapse" acusations, hyperbolic dramas, obfuscations and wishing for the game to crash I think it's only normal that people call them out for it.

-----snip---

It's fairly simple to put someone on ignore if it bothers you so much.  While I don't use the ignore function I do just automatically skip over a few posters. Trying to justify bad behavior by pointing to the "other guy" didn't work when I was 8 and sure doesn't work now.

I learned a long time ago that a game I like doesn't need me to "defend it" from the evil naysayers.   

I mean c'mon :disappointed:

sgelrpmcmurphyKyleranKefoBeansnBread

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Babuinix said:

Specialy when both the company and the game keep progressing at a steady rate and delivering on their milestones with more and more people joining everyday.
    Maybe get some of these people in here so that the same three people don't have to defend it for years and years?

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2018
    Most people don't want to deal with the toxicity so they keep their distance from this forum and most other places where SC is discussed.

There's also no point, it's just for who enjoys mostly the same old people having a go at each other for years and years xD
    MaxBacon said:
    Most people don't want to deal with the toxicity so they keep their distance from this forum and most other places where SC is discussed.

There's also no point, it's just for who enjoys mostly the same old people having a go at each other for years and years xD
    I partially agree.  But yes, people that just want to hear sunshine and roses absolutely have a great place to do that in the official forums.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

Maybe get some of these people in here so that the same three people don't have to defend it for years and years?

Perhaps the shills can ask CIG for some backup now that they have $46 million for marketing....

/s
    MaxBaconsgel
    edited December 2018
    Slapshot1188 said:
    I partially agree.  But yes, people that just want to hear sunshine and roses absolutely have a great place to do that in the official forums.

Most I know don't even participate in official forums, neither I do, a lot of people just tend to stay within their orgs lol or reddit

edited December 2018
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

Perhaps the shills can ask CIG for some backup now that they have $46 million for marketing....

/s
    I wanna piece of dat 46 million hell yeah

Disclaimer to rodarin just in case: sarcasm. :P 

Kefo
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:

Including the actual SC forums. God forbid you try to say something negative there. You’d think you just insulted their mother, slapped their sister, punched their brother and ran over the dog
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:

/s
    I wanna piece of dat 46 million hell yeah

Disclaimer to rodarin just in case: sarcasm. :P 

You earn a non mean lol for that Max
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:

Progressing towards what I would ask? Sure, they along with many other indie devs are "busy, busy, busy" but where are they really going with it?

Launch? Really? Latest info on SQ42 easily puts that date into late 2021 or even 2022.

As for the larger multiplayer game, absolutely no telling when it might launch, especially as there appears to be no end to the successful fund raising efforts or external investments.

Sure, if you are the sort of person who enjoys playing the various sub systems "for fun" then I understand why this is not an issue.

Realize however for those like me who only play games post final release, (and preferably a year or two afterwards) it could very well be 2025 before either is a possibility. 

My personal issue? Sure, but at least you'll understand where the salt comes from in some of my posts.

I  have been 100% accurate for many years, these games have either never had a firm realistic launch schedule, or if so they are regularly revised ever outward as funding has continued to increase.

I've never called it a scam, predicted its failure by "X" date, and normally only post in these threads when the praise gets too insufferable without remembering that there is seemingly no end in site, yet so many are just fine with it.

I was 100% incorrect on one point,  but so was everyone else.  I always felt the crowd funding faucets would dry up one day, and people would stop paying large amounts of money for a game never ending in alpha, and clearly this is not the case.

Meanwhile in FO76, a released game (made entirely from their own pockets) I am actually playing despite my usual policies,  Bethedsa offers a $20 XMAS skin pack and the internet goes up in arms.

Weird.

Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Keller said:
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

Even if some of my posting can often come across as abrasive or even rude by some can you realy fault me when I've been prooven right more often than not?

I guess you can say that one ever notices when you’re been provoked, just when you retaliate  B) 
    I quote you, but it isn't targetted at you alone. Sadly you're not the only one.

The average forum visitor is interested in a quality post. This starts with the Original Post. Sticking to this thread I have no clue what the OP is trying to tell me.
    Then an avalanche of posts appear. Posts which try to correct the previous post. I can read them all, but I don't believe any of those will inform me what the OP was trying to say.

Even if our power posters are "right" 6 out of 10 posts, it still means you're wrong 4 times. As a reader that doesn't help me at all, because I wouldn't know which 4 posts are incorrect. Every time I see a name next to a post I'll know this could be an "incorrect" post so I'll skip them all. I don't have time to read your post, do my own research and then decide you were right or wrong.

I've been a long time on this forum. Nowadays I only read the original post. I read what @SBFord has to say, as she usually has an honest opinion, is passioned about gaming and is good informed. I read what @BillMurphy has to say, as he is a veteran gamer and is also good informed. Sure there is the occasional "sponsored" article by their hands, but you can tell by reading the whole article. Sometimes it appears to be sponsored, but they actually like something that isn't accepted by the cool kids.
    As for other forum users there are a few who are informative and stay away from the forumwars. Their posts I like and I read. Wish people could be more like them and less like people in this thread. There's no need to correct the same people time after time. You know you're right and people would agree with you more if you had posted less ;)
    While I understand your position, do remember that if debating and arguing points didn't exist, these forums would be, essentially, a super boring site where folks merely post mini-blogs about their gaming.

Like it or not, the debate and back and forth exchange and rebuttal if ideas keep the forums active.
    Octagon7711

@Babuinix here's the thing: even the critics of SC here don't literally make their entire account about shitposting SC.  You rarely if ever come here for anything other than puffing SC and attacking them.

If you were just puffing SC, I could at least understand and would appreciate some of the info you share about the project.  But when the other entire half of your account is dedicated to shitposting others, that becomes harder to understand.

And the final point, likely the most important: some users are going to post at you because they know you'll reply the same way you always do, and then they can claim your fanboy bias is clouding your vision.  I think you make yourself a target sometimes because you go from 0-100 on critics in a matter of one post.

/Shrug in the end, you don't have to take ant of this under advisement.  Just my observations as a regular poster here.
    KefoOctagon7711rpmcmurphy

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Axllow18 said:
    Every now and then I pop into SC myself, and I'll tell you that there are plenty of optimization issues. No one I know can play without hiccups, and even when it does play smoothly there are always issues cropping up that remind you just how deep in alpha the project still is.

Considering the size of the project and the feature list it's not surprising, but let's not pretend these issues do not exist. CIG has made great strides on the technology front and I find myself more in agreement with the idea that the game will launch and be a functional if not good game when it does; however attempting to hide the fact that the project still has a LONG list of issues is simply dishonest.

When this is all over I'd love to see someone put together a breakdown of all the projects missteps and milestones; I think once all is said and done SC and SQ42 could be a fantastic study into the hurdles of such a massive project and even a case study as to why competent project leads are so damned vital to any endeavor.
    @Axllow18 there have been several attempts at this already.  MandaloreGaming's couple videos on his channel and elsewhere are my favorite, but closest to what you describe is probably "Sunk Cost Galaxy" which is up to... 6 episodes I think, with up to 20 named episodes planned?  I don't know how he is Nostradamus enough to do this on a story still unfolding, but the production value is very good (although he gets a bit emotional in places):

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance