Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Eve game play fun....

TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
Today watching the game streams the top streamers was getting 170ish viewers. This is typical unless its Zarvox or BjornB. THey usually pull hundreds.

Today an Eve employee streamed them texturing. Shot up to just under 1000 viewers.

Who would have thought watching someone texture in game assets would be more fun to watch then someone playing the game.

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Eve is a amazing game with a huge learning curve, I notice when you are real new people are quick to help and generally wont give you much of a hard time. But the second you show up in any kind of ship beyond the starter ships or show any sort of knowledge of the game  ie you are in a worm hole its game on . Get good or prepare to die. This game is not for the faint of heart. Unless you are unemployed or don't mind getting punched in the balls daily i wouldn't recommend playing this. I often think about going back but im too much of a baby to deal with losing a big haul to some ganker after 4 hours of grinding.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited May 2018
    thunderC said:
    Eve is a amazing game with a huge learning curve, I notice when you are real new people are quick to help and generally wont give you much of a hard time. But the second you show up in any kind of ship beyond the starter ships or show any sort of knowledge of the game  ie you are in a worm hole its game on . Get good or prepare to die. This game is not for the faint of heart. Unless you are unemployed or don't mind getting punched in the balls daily i wouldn't recommend playing this. I often think about going back but im too much of a baby to deal with losing a big haul to some ganker after 4 hours of grinding.
    now that sounded... quite salty. =)

there is a saying in eve online: don't fly it, if you can't afford to lose it.

and that's basically everything you need to know about the game, hehe.
    it's gaming and controles are no dog fight, more an active simulation, but if you are into it (and if you do not know, trying out is free), it's a pretty good game, but as said before:

you need balls, or friends, lots of friends....
    (and yes, eve has "pve" too, you can actually play that game pretty "save")
    KyleranPhry5CARLLeTT

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    if you like to pvp in excel, its a great game.
    FrodoFraginsultimateduckRidelynn
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Thane said:
    thunderC said:
    now that sounded... quite salty. =)

there is a saying in eve online: don't fly it, if you can't afford to lose it.

and that's basically everything you need to know about the game, hehe.
    it's gaming and controles are no dog fight, more an active simulation, but if you are into it (and if you do not know, trying out is free), it's a pretty good game, but as said before:

you need balls, or friends, lots of friends....
    (and yes, eve has "pve" too, you can actually play that game pretty "save")
    No im not salty , I think Eve is a amazing game. Its not the ship its losing cargo with massive amounts of value/isk that hurts. Like i said im too much of a baby to deal with the swings, But i guess thats what makes the exploration and hacking so rewarding. I'll probably go back at some point and yes you are right, you need friends. I like playing solo which isnt really what eve is about.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    thunderC said:
    ...But i guess thats what makes the exploration and hacking so rewarding.
    THIS

I'm an explorer. I make all my isk running data and relic sites and selling the loot. It may not be the most eficient way to make money, but I sure have fun getting my ass to deep null, avoiding camps, keeping my eye on d-scan and avoiding people that come to actively hunt me. Sometimes I fail, sometimes I win. But those wins? Oh man, they are so satisfying and something you don't get in any other game that I know :)
    Kyleran5CARLLeTT

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Hefaistos said:

also if you like spreadsheets, great game

;)
    Using that logic, is Archeage a great game if you enjoy Candy Crush?  :p
    Krematory
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:
    Hefaistos said:

also if you like spreadsheets, great game

;)
    Using that logic, is Archeage a great game if you enjoy Candy Crush?  :p
    Or wearing cat ears and bunny tails?
    ultimateduck

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Today watching the game streams the top streamers was getting 170ish viewers. This is typical unless its Zarvox or BjornB. THey usually pull hundreds.

Today an Eve employee streamed them texturing. Shot up to just under 1000 viewers.

Who would have thought watching someone texture in game assets would be more fun to watch then someone playing the game.
    Why would I need to watch someone play the game when i can play it myself? Outside of looking for particular boss strategies in a game or some other once-in-a-while need, I have  no use for "Let's play" videos.

However, getting to watch how something in the game is made is interesting and educational.
    An amazing number of people also watch artists drawing cartoons, its just one of those things  :)
    [Deleted User]
  • 5CARLLeTT5CARLLeTT Member CommonPosts: 6
    I used to play Guild Wars One pretty heavy for about eight years and I eventually racked up about 18000 hours of online game activity as tracked by Guild Wars One itself (use the "/time" command while in game). Admittedly, probably a huge percentage of these played hours were away from keyboard since I pretty much stayed logged into GW all day every day (whenever I happened to be home and not actually at work) whether actually playing or not; simply transitioning easily into or out of the game however I felt like at the moment. I believe that I eventually achieved quite a bit in Guild Wars One but one day a close friend in GW started persistently asking me to team up with her to play an already established outer space sandbox game called Eve Online. I initially resisted them with a lot of vague excuses but this friend's continued friendship was very important to me and so I signed up for (if I remember correctly) a month's free-play. Currently, of course, Eve Online is now forever free-to-play but back then the max f2p that could be achieved was about a month or so with a temporary trial account.

I thus started playing Eve years ago and I enjoy it immensely. In my opinion, it's simply wonderful and so far I have never lost my enthusiasm and interest in flying the many hundreds of types of spaceships that are available around the Eve Online universe. If you too are maybe getting tired of the many slash and hack magical fantasies out there and if you want to perhaps try Eve, I have some random thoughts; I hope that you find them useful. Some unique things about Eve are that everyone plays on the same massive one-of-a-kind server so there is intentionally really nowhere to hide. So PvP, wanted or unwanted, is pretty much always an option. There are "safer" zones available where PvP is uncommon but NEVER impossible. These are known as safer zones because the penalties against any aggressor in these zones can be incredibly severe. But pretty much anyone can attack anyone at any time (except for fellow team mates or members within the same "tribal" corporation). And even fellow corporate members are not often actually strictly off-limits to aggression when certain things are set to happen. So if you do NOT want a game where you have to always be a little bit on edge, please play something else. The only absolute time that you or your spaceship are totally safe in Eve is when your spaceship is docked up in one of the many thousands of huge floating NPC station fortress city structures available that exist in certain areas of the Eve universe.

I've tried to stay pretty much focused on Eve as my main video game activity since June of 2011. And I gotta say again that I just love this game. Yes, scamming and griefing and unwanted PvP are a part of Eve but in my opinion just a small part of the game. Eve has a reputation for being full of scammers and griefers but this really isn't strictly true. The game is simply designed to allow things to be done that most other games simply do not allow. And this can be a sort of a shock to a new player just starting out. It is true that the skilled veteran players usually aren't the ones being scammed and griefed and they usually aren't the ones who are primarily flying the stuff that gets blown up when stuff starts blowing up. The fairly difficult learning process in Eve is not for everyone. So Eve can definitely be cruel to some of the newbros. For some players, Eve can be a really hard game to learn and some newbros to the game obviously don't yet have much experience or the reflexes or the instincts needed to effectively play yet. So most pilots who really enjoy the game (I am one of them) usually try to gain as much knowledge and expertise and experience as quickly as they possibly can. Do this and refuse to give up and you can absolutely definitely become one of the sharks doing the eating instead of the ones being eaten. Please join a genuinely helpful and active corporation to start the critically needed learning process please. There are literally thousands of good corps to choose from (but a lot of worthless corps out there too). Make the needed effort to find a good corp and work hard and focus and you too can eventually someday enjoy the game as an effective and knowledgable player. The non-sharks just never seem to have as much fun.

Eve isn't for everyone. Please don't be misled, this is a very difficult game with a steep learning curve. It's brutal and unforgiving and incredibly difficult to dive deeper than just a few feet below the surface. The surface is where most casual players swim. Space is dark and cold and hostile and Eve can be all of that and more. Please remember that this is a game about spaceships flying around in a vacuum close to absolute zero. Join a genuinely helpful active corporation please if you want to have fun. But even so, you probably won't have much fun for months (or maybe longer) as you learn and gradually work your way up the food chain. It's almost impossible for most newbros to the game to really enjoy the harsh learning process with a whole lot of constant joy and you will, again, probably be a new brother for a few months or maybe even longer. It all depends on you and what you're made of. Personally, it took me years and a whole lot of effort and I'm still nothing much.

Probably this means that I don't have much natural talent, just persistence. But now Eve to me is incredible, wonderful, amazing, unique, fascinating. And I wouldn't trade it for a shipload of Black Desert Onlines or WoWs or GWs or anything else that I've ever played. You want to try Eve out as a newbro? It's my opinion that it's very possible, with work and dedication, to actually play and enjoy the game as a free-to-play player. Or, better yet, buy a monthly subscription and open up more of this huge universe if you feel like it. Look me up in-game and maybe I can personally help with a bit of a needed boost. Me and a bunch of my in-corp and out-of-corp friends enjoy teaching new pilots how to enjoy. My avatar's first name is Farr and its last name is Arrow. But don't even bother to waste your time playing unless you are willing to give Eve at least 2 or 3 months before passing judgement. Just please go play something else. There's a whole lot of slash and hack magical fantasies out there that are always available. Just remember that it's whatever you want, whatever you yourself like. Because it's YOUR internet.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Unlike soooooooo many people i see CLAIMING fun and i call BS on almost all those people,i do play for fun.
    The difference is i don't play for competition to be better than the other guy,i don't play to see my name in lights or have better gear or a higher level number.I simply play the games i do for FUN.

If Eve was FUN,i would be playing it but it is not fun what so ever.
    I realize for many gamer's they have a fetish or a niche idea they just have to have,like for example  a space ship or dual wielding weapons or cool mounts or whatever.
    I guess in a way we all have our niche ideas we want in a game so for me at least ,EVE does not deliver on any idea i call fun.I don't NEED to have a space ship,i simply will play ANY game for the fun of the design and systems,if it so happens i am driving a ship and the game is fun,so be it but i look beyond superficial reasons.

Absolutely nothing in Eve is to my liking,so no it is not even remotely close to being fun.From graphics to skills to systems,missions all of it is done really cheap.Being a part of a large community does not make a game fun or bragging about YOUR nations flag owning a game so none of that matters to me when i decipher FUN.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Unlike soooooooo many people i see CLAIMING fun and i call BS on almost all those people,i do play for fun.
    The difference is i don't play for competition to be better than the other guy,i don't play to see my name in lights or have better gear or a higher level number.I simply play the games i do for FUN.

I realize for many gamer's they have a fetish or a niche idea they just have to have,like for example  a space ship or dual wielding weapons or cool mounts or whatever.
    I guess in a way we all have our niche ideas we want in a game so for me at least ,EVE does not deliver on any idea i call fun.I don't NEED to have a space ship,i simply will play ANY game for the fun of the design and systems,if it so happens i am driving a ship and the game is fun,so be it but i look beyond superficial reasons.

Absolutely nothing in Eve is to my liking,so no it is not even remotely close to being fun.From graphics to skills to systems,missions all of it is done really cheap.Being a part of a large community does not make a game fun or bragging about YOUR nations flag owning a game so none of that matters to me when i decipher FUN.
    EVE was never meant to be played by people seeking "FUN", playgrounds are for that.

Carry on.....

5CARLLeTTGdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wizardry said:

25% of the people play it very casually and 75% are very much goal oriented and focused. It's a game where goals mean something and the economy, holding territory, group dynamics, and skill actually impact everything else you do. Unlike a MMO where you make money and it just sits there or is used for a pretty reskin making money is vital for ensuring your survival and supporting your group. Unlike an MMO where you need to choreograph a raid and you can try again next week, you need to not only have highly skilled players, leaders, and friends (outside groups). If you show incompetency too often your group gets weaker. The fighting part requires an understanding of a book worth of equipment, ships, and tactics (as does the fighting support). So, is this fun? Probably not casual fun for most people. It does however, provide endless challenge for the competitive.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MasoodVoon said:
    25% of the people play it very casually and 75% are very much goal oriented and focused.
    ....ehm, source?
    KyleranConstantineMerusSovrath
    Gdemami said:
    MasoodVoon said:
    25% of the people play it very casually and 75% are very much goal oriented and focused.
    ....ehm, source?
    Statistics on the internet, now those are fun.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    Most people are salty about EvE because it takes more than two brain cells to play. Not to mention the harsh reality of having someone else coming along to take their toys away. The best way to be successful in EvE is to have friends. Even the newest of bros will gets lots of help from corps willing to take them under their wing. Even the most douche baggiest of gankers would send a newb an encouraging EvEmail with some ISK after killing them and taking their stuff.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Where Goonswarm is concerned the sending of ISK to prey is frowned upon.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    It's a Microsoft Excel ripoff.

If you play EVE you can probably put Database Management experience on your resume.

:wink:
    kitarad