Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry 42 Financials Released

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    rodarin said:
    Love the random forum 'whales'....

first off to get the type of money some of these people are throwing at this takes a little bit of business savvy or at least economical common sense. NONE of which would be fulfilled putting money into this project. At best its an outright gamble at worst its throwing money into a failed business venture, where the person throwing money at it doesnt get actual ROI but ''entertainment". So forgive me if I dont believe most of the comments from people who are claiming to spend 5 or even 6 figures on some pipe dream, especially at this stage.

Now of course some of them might be crypto millionaires who struck it rich, but even then they would have also had enough brains to sell when the prices were 'right' which doesnt jive with them still being willing to back a project thats shown little ability to keep a schedule. Meaning they would have also known when the time was 'right' to get out of SC. Or by contrast if theyre still willing to back SC they would have been more than willing to hang on (too long) to those cryptos (looking for a miracle rally) even as they fell to ashes all around them.

Or I guess there are other options ...lottery winners, trust fund babies, thieves. That are STILL willing to throw tens of thousands at something that may or may not ever exist no matter how much money they throw at it.

No, people with the ability to accumulate that much money have more common sense, business acumen and sheer 'cut throatedness' to put that type of money into something with so little return. But obvious some people are (overspending) to buy packages. But many of them sold out on the grey market years ago (because they did have all those things and knew when the getting was good).

But them again human stupidity surprises me sometimes and I (and most critics) cant understand how this thing (allegedly) still continues to fleece the money it does from people month after month. But hey 200+K people were sitting around for hours (and almost an hour after a missed launch time) to watch a bunch of guys getting paid by developers to play games on camera to watch a game anyone with ANY braincells should have known wasnt going to release when they said it would. so you know...
    Easy come, easy go.

I believe you will find that people who have experienced hardship and/or made their fortune the hard way, are a lot less frivolous on how they spend their money.
    MadFrenchie

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Seems like you missed the point @Kefo , again.

@LazyDazed just said that the game Chris Roberts is building is what he wants to play. So whatever Chris Roberts decides its good by him. 

If we were in the early years of the project I would call this a leap of faith based on past acollades (wing commander, privater, freelancer).

But now, with everything that's already available to play in Star Citizen and what was shown from Squadron42 there's no doubt that the continuous support comes from the reinforced trust earned throughout the continuous evolution and direction Star Citizen and Squadron42 have taken.

No I didn’t miss the point. You just don’t want to accept the possibilities I presented.

and if LazyDazed is fine with whatever CR changes the game into then it isn’t a game for him it’s a game for CR. 

Its fine to trust someone but I just hope they know what they are getting into and that CR has never released a game when he didn’t have someone standing over him prodding him along.
    Erillion said:
    >>> without any questions asked >>>

It is also a misconception amongst some people that no questions have been asked.

To the contrary. Thousands of questions (tenthousands ?) have been asked. AND answered by the CIG/Foundry team - some sooner, some later. In a constructive way. On the official forums. On chat channels. On playtester channels. In Q&A sessions. In the "Jumppoint" magazine articles. etc.

Have fun
    In typically Erillion fashion I could be talking about the colour blue and you start talking about what you ate today and how you only include the part that helps your self serving interests and not the entire sentence.
    ErillionWalkinGlenn
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited December 2018
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

@LazyDazed just said that the game Chris Roberts is building is what he wants to play. So whatever Chris Roberts decides its good by him. 

If we were in the early years of the project I would call this a leap of faith based on past acollades (wing commander, privater, freelancer).

But now, with everything that's already available to play in Star Citizen and what was shown from Squadron42 there's no doubt that the continuous support comes from the reinforced trust earned throughout the continuous evolution and direction Star Citizen and Squadron42 have taken.

No I didn’t miss the point. You just don’t want to accept the possibilities I presented.

and if LazyDazed is fine with whatever CR changes the game into then it isn’t a game for him it’s a game for CR. 

Its fine to trust someone but I just hope they know what they are getting into and that CR has never released a game when he didn’t have someone standing over him prodding him along.
    I'm pretty sure he already mentioned that he's perfectly in line with Chris Roberts vision for the game, I mean he just said he gave him a large sum of money and will continue to do so to make Star Citizen a reality.

If he had any suspicions that the game being made wasn't to is liking he wouldn't keep giving money to the ones doing it right?

Whatever you may think the majority of people who have this amount of disposable money to spend/invest on "frivolous" hobbies do so because they already earn a good living for themselves in a day-to-day basis.

Besides the usual IT tech citizens I've encountered from the mundane civil pilots, to jet-fighter pilots, aerospace scientists, genetic engineers, lawyers, doctors, nam vet's, high schoolers, college students you name it they have something in common, they understand the vision of Chris Roberts and they happily embrace it and share it with pride.

It's all about understanding what you're getting into and owning it with pride.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 302
    I get over 100 FPS most the time in SC and have great dogfights every day yet people still act like its unplayable. My computer isn't even that great, its a few years old and I use a "Best bang for the buck" Strategy to build, so its not highly future proof. Even when the game comes out people will try to latch onto something to bring it down. I bet they will say, well they should have been able to develop 3 games with that money, or the game should have heart rate monitors, full VR, and the secret to the universe. Some people who are invested so heavily in a debate will just ignore evidence because of cognitive dissonance.  I still remember when people said SC will never have FPS or Star Marine.
    ErillionBabuinixAmazingAvery
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited December 2018
    I have had an influence on the game and I have personally seen mine and my fellow testers voices heard in regards to changes and implementation. I will reiterate again that even with the current costs the so called "whales" will make this game happen regardless. The current progress of the game is more than acceptable to many backers even with the recent release date of SQ42 beta release date of Q2 2020. CR's vision falls right in line with what many of us want and that is why I say I am ok with what he plans for the future. SC is in essence CRs vision and rightfully so, regardless of what people have invested and what they think they are entitled to including me. I never felt mislead or slighted at any point of this journey. Realistically the current implementation has a lot to offer and the tech is far beyond what AAA games offer their customers, not only that but the tech being developed will be available to sell as licensing to generate another revenue stream for CIG. 

This game will be created in a form that will be enjoyable and engaging, bottom line.  

I read a post on Reddit that really hit home with me, this isn't the game we originally backed in kickstart and original crowdfunding, that is clear and evident. We are now creating a dream that many of us have had over the years that goes far beyond the original idea of what Star Citizen was to be and we are willing to bring that dream to a reality through the fat whale wallets that buy stupid frivolous jpg's, again I will state to all you naysayers and opponents of what CIG is doing and how they are doing it, sit back and relax and divert your stress from this project and when it is complete you can reap all the benefits of an amazing game with nothing you have invested other than the $60 you will pay for the base game getting 10x more than any other 59.99 game has had to offer, ever.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    I feel sorry for some of you folks:

"...We are now creating a dream that many of us have had over the years that goes far beyond the original idea of what Star Citizen was to be....."

Dreams are easy to sell, because everyone imagines it as their perfect game.   When it releases, with real persistence, it will confound many of those dreams.   And given the disorganized, vainglorious management, it will cost far more than it should've.  

But hey, maybe the years of dreaming are worth the cost to some.
    Kefo

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

I feel sorry for some of you folks:

"...We are now creating a dream that many of us have had over the years that goes far beyond the original idea of what Star Citizen was to be....."

Dreams are easy to sell, because everyone imagines it as their perfect game.   When it releases, with real persistence, it will confound many of those dreams.   And given the disorganized, vainglorious management, it will cost far more than it should've.  

But hey, maybe the years of dreaming are worth the cost to some.
    Your pity is better felt elsewhere. People here don't pity and never asked for it. Go to an orphanage if you are wanting to help the world.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Some Folks' hero worship of Chris Roberts is sadly poignant.   But keep buying ships -- maybe at $300,000,000 in development it can get into beta.  And maybe the elevators will work....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Some Folks' hero worship of Chris Roberts is sadly poignant.   But keep buying ships -- maybe at $300,000,000 in development it can get into beta.  And maybe the elevators will work....
    They have at least 4 years if not 5 until they will have a product they can sell (a tangible product not just concept art)to recoup what the guy bailed them out with. They have been operating at a deficit of around a 4 million dollar average *that they admit and in 2018 theyre probably even deeper in the red since according to the fanbois employees are the largest drain and they added more people this year.

But lets say they still have 20 million (which if you read the Forbes article would mean they would have had to be 6 million in the black this year (when I think its probably the opposite) But for 'simple' math. They have 20 million. They have been running at a cost of close to 50 million a year for the past 3-4 years (we will know what 2018 was when they release that report (assuming it can be taken at face value). SO do some napkin math. If they make 120 million over the next 3 years they MIGHT still have some pocket change left if they have operating costs of 150 million over that time period. So (without the 46 million loan) thats 330 million right there. And we all know how these road maps and schedules turn out, especially ones with a self proclaimed 2+ year window. And that was JUST to beta.

And that is all forgetting all the ships and tanks and land and whatever they have sold over the past 5-6 years that havent even been created yet. Those will have ot be done for free just tomake it work.

People conveniently forget all the stuff that ISNT done yet (that has already been sold and paid for) but then again since theyre under the umbrella of 'crowdfunding' and they have worshipers and not players I guess people wont care when the ships and tanks and land they bought may never ever get made.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Your pity is better felt elsewhere. People here don't pity and never asked for it. Go to an orphanage if you are wanting to help the world.
    I know the pity posts from the haters are the most ridiculous thing I just lol 
    MaxBacon said:
    I know the pity posts from the haters are the most ridiculous thing I just lol 
    I was going to say I dont do those. But I guess I do. I dont feel bad that youre wasting money. I feel bad that you have something wrong with you that makes you a victim to all this and even after being confronted with it you still dont get it.

I posted about all this before and said when the realization did hit and this thing did fail (it hasnt yet but its closer to failure than success right now) the people wouldnt feel like victims. But that is a coping mechanism I guess. because when you watch people who were victims of cons and scams a majority dont think they were. Despite everything being shown to them that they were.
    edited December 2018
    rodarin said:
    I feel bad that you have something wrong with you that makes you a victim to all this and even after being confronted with it you still dont get it.
    I don't have anything wrong with me, you're just one from trollish, peaking on a hateful and extremely biased person that spent the last years having a go at the fans of this game on this forum.

But whelp, it is what it is.
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:
    I feel bad that you have something wrong with you that makes you a victim to all this and even after being confronted with it you still dont get it.
    I don't anything wrong with me, you're just one from trollish, peaking on a hateful and extremely biased person that spent the last years having a go at the fans of this game on this forum.

But whelp, it is what it is.
    Hateful trollish and biased. LMAO.

Basically 99% of the stuff I was speculating about has been 'proven' right the past 36 hours. The only thing that hasnt happened yet is they fold up ship. Which may probably never happen as now they have an 'investor' who will more than likely find away to get the project made (more than likely without Roberts in charge) to get some of his money back.

This whole thing is like history repeating itself for what the third or fourth time with this guy?

There have always been a half a dozen or so major points about Roberts and this project. ALL of them valid and akl of them becoming proven beyond a reasonable doubt as time passes by.

Its not hard to predict something when its all happened before.

That isnt being biased or trollish or hateful it simply pointing out the stuff people either forgot, never knew or want to try and forget.

Hey if the guy was able to deliver SOMETHING, ANYTHING on the 200 millioon he has spent I wound give him credit. I gave them some credit for this last update that didnt completely break the server when they released it. Although it has recently. But semi fixed when they disabled Voip.

But this is playing out like a nightmare. I am not sure anyone has been able to put a positive spin  on this 'investment' thing. Nor the new roadmap. best they can do is keep repeating the mantra 'its done when its done and it doesnt matter how we get there' which is a far cry from the bill o f goods they were sold 7 years ago with the speech Roberts gave. The one where the 250 million should be worth a billion with his 4-1 math. But I dont want to pile on or seem hateful by bringing up what the guy actually claimed....things change backers want more I mean they all voted on it in a poll or something right?
    edited December 2018
    rodarin said:
    It has been as much proven right as the moon landing being faked was proven right. 

I gotta love speculating what was known before as its funding reality and how ongoing funding sets operations, then acting like it's some major news desperately stroking own ego...

//eyeroll
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

I'm pretty sure he already mentioned that he's perfectly in line with Chris Roberts vision for the game, I mean he just said he's given him a large sum of money to continue and will continue to do so to make Star Citizen a reality.

If he had any suspicions that the game being made wasn't to is liking he wouldn't keep giving money to the ones doing it right?

Whatever you may think the majority of people who have this amount of disposable money to spend/invest on "frivolous" hobbies do so because they already earn a good living for themselves in a day-to-day basis.

Besides the usual IT tech citizens I've encountered from the mundane civil pilots, to jet-fighter pilots, aerospace scientists, genetic engineers, lawyers, doctors, nam vet's, high schoolers, college students you name it they have something in common, they understand the vision of Chris Roberts and they happily embrace it and share it with pride.

It's all about understanding what you're getting into and owning it with pride.
    You missed the point again. I know he’s in line with CR vision otherwise he would t have given him all that money. My point was will he still feel the same way if CR does a complete 180 on the game direction cause let’s face it with CR at the helm anything is possible.

The way you worded your other reply to me you made it sound like LazyDazed would accept anything CR decided to do for the game even if it was outside the vision.

People can spend their money how they want, ive never told them they shouldn’t spend it on whatever. I just want them to make sure they do know what they are getting into and that CR has a history of a failed game studio where he mismanaged money and never released a game. If they know that and still give him money then I don’t expect to hear them whining if the project goes down in flames or releases in a state that is terrible/nowhere near the original vision.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    I dunno. What do you consider a "complete 180 on the game direction"? 

Should I be worried about Chris Roberts suddently deciding that Star Citizen will turn into Hello Kitty Space Adventure Lego?

Are you sure you are doing "this" to help others?
    Seems more like you are going into desperate ways trying to justify your (dis)beliefs...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    I get over 100 FPS most the time in SC and have great dogfights every day yet people still act like its unplayable. My computer isn't even that great, its a few years old and I use a "Best bang for the buck" Strategy to build, so its not highly future proof. Even when the game comes out people will try to latch onto something to bring it down. I bet they will say, well they should have been able to develop 3 games with that money, or the game should have heart rate monitors, full VR, and the secret to the universe. Some people who are invested so heavily in a debate will just ignore evidence because of cognitive dissonance.  I still remember when people said SC will never have FPS or Star Marine.
    If users are reporting optimization/performance issues, your not having any doesn't mean it's not an issue.  Not sure why you would try to imply something as straightforward for a player to judge as performance is just folks trying to bring the game down.  Then you imply those folks are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

That's something that can be shown in a YouTube video clearly.

Babuinix said:
    I dunno. What do you consider a "complete 180 on the game direction"? 

Should I be worried about Chris Roberts suddently deciding that Star Citizen will turn into Hello Kitty Space Adventure Lego?

Are you sure you are doing "this" to help others?
    Seems more like you are going into desperate ways trying to justify your (dis)beliefs...
    How should I know what CR will do with this game? He can turn it into an on rails shooter like how they have(had?) it in SWTOR. 

Please don’t try and project onto me what you are feeling.

If the game releases and it’s actually feature complete and decent then good on CIG for actually working through CR’s neuroticisms and I hope people enjoy it. If it releases in a half baked state or not at all or we have another investor bailout like what happened with his last studio then I will be here to point and laugh and have a good time.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Babuinix said:
    Makes all the sense to have 60% of your company costs in a country with a 25% video game tax break.

Just another genius move by CIG folks and again completely shiitting on the disingenuous "imminent collapse" and "mismanagement" FUD campaign from the last years by the sad and desperate haters lol

I wonder if the more livid haters living in the UK realise that their tax money is helping Star Citizen's development... would they ponder to move country? They could even use brexit as an excuse lol :D
    You really should curb your constant baiting.
    Not a fan of any censorship.  Let him talk and trust that people can read and make their own decisions.  I love it when people disagree with me and keep posting their reasons.  Just present a clear contrasting opinion and let folks decide on their own.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Babuinix said:
    Makes all the sense to have 60% of your company costs in a country with a 25% video game tax break.

Just another genius move by CIG folks and again completely shiitting on the disingenuous "imminent collapse" and "mismanagement" FUD campaign from the last years by the sad and desperate haters lol

I wonder if the more livid haters living in the UK realise that their tax money is helping Star Citizen's development... would they ponder to move country? They could even use brexit as an excuse lol :D
    Not a fan of any censorship.  Let him talk and trust that people can read and make their own decisions.  I love it when people disagree with me and keep posting their reasons.  Just present a clear contrasting opinion and let folks decide on their own.

It isn't the presentation of a contrasting opinion I have an issue with.  It's the constant baiting with bullshit that's irrelevant and/or generalized attacks on character that I have an issue with.

Even then, if it weren't literally his number one posting goal, I wouldn't even pay attention.
    Kefo

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:

It isn't the presentation of a contrasting opinion I have an issue with.  It's the constant baiting with bullshit that's irrelevant and/or generalized attacks on character that I have an issue with.

Even then, if it weren't literally his number one posting goal, I wouldn't even pay attention.
    I have to agree with MadFrenchie.

I think 50% of his posts are okay, but 50% of his posts are designed to remind people that someone who disagreed with him was once wrong. Even his avatar is one that he picked after his opponent on these forums was wrong, eternally laughing at the losers.
    MadFrenchieKefoBabuinix

If users are reporting optimization/performance issues, your not having any doesn't mean it's not an issue.  Not sure why you would try to imply something as straightforward for a player to judge as performance is just folks trying to bring the game down.  Then you imply those folks are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Nice strawman argument. You are failing to understand the game is becoming smooth and very playable as time goes on. People arguing that its still unplayable are suffering from cognitive dissonance because of past experiences and ignorance of the present development. I stated my computer isnt great and I get over 100 fps, thats my current experience and I have had previous experiences but I stick with the game and I am well aware of its current state. That use to be the biggest argument of haters, the low fps. Now people still latch onto the old fps argument when its not true or they are using a computer way past due for upgrades.

I get it some people spent a shit ton of money, want the game now, and latch onto a release date that CR apologized for about and went into detail on why it changed. Ya it hasn't been a perfect development but to keep latching onto the previous statement about release dates and ignoring the ongoing development and currently very playable game is where the cognitive dissonance becomes obvious.

I think people are upset that a game they aren't interested in and is popular to hate on is getting tons of funding, resulting in jealousy. People dress it up as concern and pity but its not, its spite and jealousy as well as ego tripping on the people who want the project to succeed.
    etlarErillion
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Nice strawman argument. You are failing to understand the game is becoming smooth and very playable as time goes on. People arguing that its still unplayable are suffering from cognitive dissonance because of past experiences and ignorance of the present development. I stated my computer isnt great and I get over 100 fps, thats my current experience and I have had previous experiences but I stick with the game and I am well aware of its current state. That use to be the biggest argument of haters, the low fps. Now people still latch onto the old fps argument when its not true or they are using a computer way past due for upgrades.

I get it some people spent a shit ton of money, want the game now, and latch onto a release date that CR apologized for about and went into detail on why it changed. Ya it hasn't been a perfect development but to keep latching onto the previous statement about release dates and ignoring the ongoing development and currently very playable game is where the cognitive dissonance becomes obvious.

I think people are upset that a game they aren't interested in and is popular to hate on is getting tons of funding, resulting in jealousy. People dress it up as concern and pity but its not, its spite and jealousy as well as ego tripping on the people who want the project to succeed.
    How can he fail to understand that the game is "becoming smooth, and very playable as time goes by? every game "becomes smooth and playable" over time. you are describing alpha and beta stages, to a game enthusiast, and then you are claiming your old pc runs over 100 fps in the game, and eveyone else is either a bad pc or lying. and then you say we are all jealous. this may be the single most stupid post i have read here in a long time. i call stupid. 

Strawman, you use that word.  I do not think you know what it means 

You made a comment that you had no performance issues and implied anyone who was having issues was "acting", I responded to that by saying your performance experience isn't everyone's experience.  I backed that up by saying that it would be easy to judge for one's self, so it seems a strange point to make up for haters when they could hate on other things if they were just trying to bring the game down (like griefing).

I didn't reply to the rest of your post because I had no interest in that topic.  I never claimed to refute the rest of your post, either, so I wasn't falsely assigning my original response to irrelevant parts of your post.

So where's the Strawman?