Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exclusive New World Q&A - The Shroud of Mystery Begins to Lift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

Good no carebear servers! The way I like it.

Hope you can enjoy a game on life support then.

The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster

Just like pretty much every PvP focussed game... PvE players must outnumber PvP player by at the absoloute minimum 10:1 by my reckonning. Thats an awful lot of players that will pass.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

Good no carebear servers! The way I like it.

Hope you can enjoy a game on life support then.

The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster

Just like pretty much every PvP focussed game... PvE players must outnumber PvP player by at the absoloute minimum 10:1 by my reckonning. Thats an awful lot of players that will pass.

I think it was more an 80/20 split, but of the 20% even those are split into those who are okay with full loot FFA's and those who are not, the full loot FFA's are perhaps the smallest percentage of the group so any game that focuses on that tends to be low population, hence the various Darkfall Online incarnations that never really gained traction, then there are those who prefer team based over solo PVP, and vice versa, its a small percentage of players thats split even further by the type of PVP they enjoy playing which also makes it difficult for PVP games to cater to, which is perhaps why so few of them ever succeed. Eve Online is perhaps the most successful and we are only talking 200-300,000 players worldwide. ;)
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    edited December 2018
    I am so damn stoked on a PvP focused MMORPG with survival elements. I only play PvP games and only watch PvP on twitch and have seriously been waiting for something just like this. I Was interested in camelot unchained but its taking forever and honestly I am concerned its not going to be all its cracked up to be. I have also been interested in Chronicles of Elyria but thats taking awhile too. I want something sorta like Crowfall but with more realism, this seems like the exact game I want!
    craftseeker
  • Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Won't touch it without PVE servers. Sorry.. I played on a PVP ARK server for months, and I know exactly what kind of audience it breeds. No thanks.
  • BionicFoxBionicFox Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Finally a proper PVP focused mmo!
    craftseeker
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    "SWG, the real sandbox mmo". rofl, you DO remember how your real sandbox ended?

as a WoW clone.

do the lightjump!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    "SWG, the real sandbox mmo". rofl, you DO remember how your real sandbox ended?

as a WoW clone.

do the lightjump!
    True, you can't turn a Sandbox game into a Themepark game without breaking it, either way SWG was a Sandbox game that worked and that was nearly 2 decades ago, kind of sad that there hasn't really been another Sandbox game since then, but SWG did kind of set the standard of what a true sandbox game should have and what they should not have, one of which is that sandbox games don't have levels. ;)
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Just implement a "storm wall" and you're good to go.
    Why on earth u want to make a PvP game but with PvE elements when all that your player base
    will ever want is to kill each other ? duh
    Phry
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018

flizzer said:

No PvE servers no thanks :(

PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.

Totally agree. PvP-centric games crash fast.

you mean, unlike pve games? lol.

Regnor said:

flizzer said:

No PvE servers no thanks :(

PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.

Yep, that rules me out too. There are so many other PvP games, I don't know why they thought they would be bringing something new to the table with yet another PvP game, but my wife and I have plenty of other PvE choices.

uh and you answered your own question here :) your logic is so fucking inferior, it ain't even fun telling you anymore - i will do it anyway

question: "I don't know why they thought they would be bringing something new to the table with yet another PvP game"
    answer: "but my wife and I have plenty of other PvE choices."

you see it now? was in the same bloody sentance dude....
    plain and simple: you are not the target audience, go play your plenty pve games.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

erevus said:
    Why on earth u want to make a PvP game but with PvE elements when all that your player base
    Because having a larger playerbase = money? trivial reasons like that i guess  :p
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited December 2018
    Phry said:
    erevus said:
    Because having a larger playerbase = money? trivial reasons like that i guess  :p

Ohh i see, u just categorize your game as an MMO/Sandbox/Survival/RPG/Strategy/FPS/Tactics and see how many fishes can you get.
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Everyone has a different vision of how PvP should be in order to be considered good.  An open world PvP game looks great until they get into details, then the vision goes out the window for a lot of players and you end up with a reduced crowd.  The greater the variety they offer and the better the combat styles, the better they will probably do.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104

Kinring said:

Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.

I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.

OK, please tell me about the vision part.

I could care less if you see the developers vision or not. My point was more that you and many others keep calling it a survival game when it is not a survival game. Why don't you explain to me why you think it is a survival game?

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Phry said:
    erevus said:
    But if your revenue model is based on twitch eyeballs, and we are repeatedly told this is Amazon's intent,  why do you care how many "boring" PvE players there are in your gankfest game?
  • KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Kinring said:

Kinring said:

Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.

I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.

I could care less if you see the developers vision or not. My point was more that you and many others keep calling it a survival game when it is not a survival game. Why don't you explain to me why you think it is a survival game?
    Here is one article,,,,

https://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-with-amazons-mmo-new-world-where-hundreds-of-players-war-over-a-supernatural-continent/

That would likely be why...........
    Yeah, it is sad that even a pcgamer reporter doesn't know the difference between survival elements and sandbox elements...

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Bring in the alpha, I'm impressed how it runs and how it looks, but the game itself is just another bullshit survival game.  An unbalanced one at that, where all ranged weapons will win all fights.
    edited December 2018
    Kinring said:

Kinring said:

How about because every single mechanic is a survival game mechanic and the combat is total crap like all other survival games with no mechanics or anything of any interest?
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
    craftseeker
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Just a Question.. maybe someone can shed some light here.

How did eating and drinking become a Survival Game thing, when that's been around since at least EQ.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    To everyone saying a pvp centric game will fall short ect... have you seen the numbers fortnite is pumping out? Those numbers are not for the Pve... Its the Pvp portion that shot it to stardom. 
    boris20 said:
    To everyone saying a pvp centric game will fall short ect... have you seen the numbers fortnite is pumping out? Those numbers are not for the Pve... Its the Pvp portion that shot it to stardom. 
    Yes I have.

I also saw how well Day-Z launched. That was amazing. 

And I hope that the devs of this game have been paying attention as well.

I also hope they have been paying attention to all the other PvP MMO's that have flopped.
    craftseeker
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• asdfsdf34534asdfsdf34534 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Torval said:
    jeeshadow said:
    I was just browsing various games on Steam and saw the comments for Worlds Adrift. Wherein, the players have taken over the world and hunt new players with their new ships the moment they enter the pvp area, with the sole purpose of destroying everything they've worked up to with their ship.
    The world is sparse now, and the reviews are terrible.

I realize there's a group that enjoys hardcore pvp. But it seems very very short sided for any gaming company to create this huge world and force pvp on everyone in that world. Why shorten your market? Why risk your game becoming deserted after a few "Companies" take over the world and grief everyone else's gametime?

If you think you're putting in boundaries to keep players from finding ways to make other players miserable in the game, you're not learning from other games.
    1. It won't work
    2. You're not ready for your playerbase.
    3. You're creating the gun players will use to shoot the success of your game in the head.

Good times.
    It's a PvP game. That was made clear in the interview. People who don't want to PvP should probably find another game. They shouldn't expect a game to carve out a special rule set for them. So PvP isn't forced on anyone. It's not a surprise. If you opt-in for a swim and wonder why you're wet, guess who's to blame.
    ok
    craftseeker
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    nickiamx said:
    Torval said:
    jeeshadow said:
    I was just browsing various games on Steam and saw the comments for Worlds Adrift. Wherein, the players have taken over the world and hunt new players with their new ships the moment they enter the pvp area, with the sole purpose of destroying everything they've worked up to with their ship.
    The world is sparse now, and the reviews are terrible.

I realize there's a group that enjoys hardcore pvp. But it seems very very short sided for any gaming company to create this huge world and force pvp on everyone in that world. Why shorten your market? Why risk your game becoming deserted after a few "Companies" take over the world and grief everyone else's gametime?

If you think you're putting in boundaries to keep players from finding ways to make other players miserable in the game, you're not learning from other games.
    1. It won't work
    2. You're not ready for your playerbase.
    3. You're creating the gun players will use to shoot the success of your game in the head.

Good times.
    It's a PvP game. That was made clear in the interview. People who don't want to PvP should probably find another game. They shouldn't expect a game to carve out a special rule set for them. So PvP isn't forced on anyone. It's not a surprise. If you opt-in for a swim and wonder why you're wet, guess who's to blame.
    ok
    There a reason you're spamming this on multiple threads?  :|

jeeshadow said:

Good times.
    I think this is the most accurate description I have ever read for Open World PvP.
    craftseeker

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I still have no clue what this game is actually trying to be.

They call it an MMORPG, but I've not heard any evidence that it'll actually be an MMO (and the RPG elements seem to be limited). What's the player cap? The limited info I've seen suggests it'll just be one big map with a very low (for an mmo) player cap or high (for a survival game) player cap.

As I'm only interested in playing an actual MMO, this is a big deal. I'm pleasantly surprised to read that they've put in effort to achieve large scale battles, but I reckon they probably just mean 50 people, and not 500+.

As for the rest of it, it seems like this game is just uninspired. Very basic twitch gameplay (I hate action combat!), some territory control and some building/crafting. Its like the most basic elements of a sandbox, potentially fun for a short amount of time but crap for longevity. The only interesting element (in my mind) is the alt history aspect, but given that this is a PvP game I just can't see how vampires, werewolves, ghosts etc are going to become important....unless you can play them yourselves and I've missed that bit of info!
    craftseeker
    I still have no clue what this game is actually trying to be.

They call it an MMORPG, but I've not heard any evidence that it'll actually be an MMO (and the RPG elements seem to be limited). What's the player cap? The limited info I've seen suggests it'll just be one big map with a very low (for an mmo) player cap or high (for a survival game) player cap.

As I'm only interested in playing an actual MMO, this is a big deal. I'm pleasantly surprised to read that they've put in effort to achieve large scale battles, but I reckon they probably just mean 50 people, and not 500+.

As for the rest of it, it seems like this game is just uninspired. Very basic twitch gameplay (I hate action combat!), some territory control and some building/crafting. Its like the most basic elements of a sandbox, potentially fun for a short amount of time but crap for longevity. The only interesting element (in my mind) is the alt history aspect, but given that this is a PvP game I just can't see how vampires, werewolves, ghosts etc are going to become important....unless you can play them yourselves and I've missed that bit of info!
    It is mechanically a survival game.  I played UO, I played EQ, this is nothing like those games.  This is ARK set in a different time period....kinda like ATLAS.  The difference is it will at least play well, unlike those two.