Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Devs Show Off the Interceptor Javelin & Talk 'Aspirational' Content - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnthem Devs Show Off the Interceptor Javelin & Talk 'Aspirational' Content - MMORPG.com

The Anthem team took to the airwaves earlier this week to show off more of the game that is set for release in February. This time, Game Director Jon Warner and Lead Producers Ben Irving and Mike Gamble provided viewers with a great look at the Interceptor Javelin. It is considered the agile, fast-moving Javelin. Strongholds were also showcased as being the Anthem-equivalent of dungeons.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So we will not just have something "meaningful" for casual players who log on for ten mins then flit away like butterfly's to do ten minutes in another game, good to see.

"Matchmaking is, of course, completely optional and those who have groups already formed will not have to use it at all."

Thank the gods of gaming, we won't be forced to play with perfect strangers all the time. :)
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    The game, is boring...
    [Deleted User]

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Looks like a parrot, either way this is shaping up to be, not a Bioware game, but just another one of those generic instanced looter shooters. :/
    SBFordXarkoOctagon7711Scot[Deleted User]
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    When I look at Anthem, I think "Destiny-like". Destiny has always been a 2nd tier game for me in that it's something I'll mess with once in awhile, but it's not a game that immediately comes to mind when I'm looking for something to play.

When I further consider that it's a BioWare game, it sinks even lower. I look at BW for my RPG "fix", not for another forced-grouping action shooter.

I just have no interest in Anthem whatsoever. Here's hoping they don't crap out on Dragon Age 4 with the "games as a service" mantra that EA is so keen on.
    [Deleted User]kitaradOctagon7711ScotPhryBakgrindJeffSpicoliTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i think too many are looking at it as some kind of MMO styled game.. when in reality it's more of a arpg style co-op game in a science fantasy shooter skin.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    i think too many are looking at it as some kind of MMO styled game.. when in reality it's more of a arpg style co-op game in a science fantasy shooter skin.

I'm 100% NOT looking for an MMO from BioWare. I'm looking for a BioWare game. Anthem isn't one so far as I can see.
    PhryRexKushmanTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    SBFord said:

I'm 100% NOT looking for an MMO from BioWare. I'm looking for a BioWare game. Anthem isn't one so far as I can see.
    I think what he is saying is that people think the game is "mmo styled." Not that they want one from Bioware.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:

I think what he is saying is that people think the game is "mmo styled." Not that they want one from Bioware.
    yup!

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    dont know what this game is trying to be- to much high quality graphics and to less gameplay features.
    SBFordOctagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I actually like basically everything I've seen. I like the aesthetic. I like the third person perspective. I like the mobility. I love the visual customization. I like the gear.

I'm just concerned about the amount of content/story involved. Destiny was also an excellent looking, excellent playing game, but it didn't have substantial content or story until The Taken King and always felt like it was cutting corners on pretty much everything that didn't directly relate to that core shooting experience.
    Gendark
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    SBFord said:

You're doing what hallucigenocide is saying: people look at Anthem as some kind of MMO.

Anthem is not trying to be a "MMO".

Anthem is various elements of MET/MEA/DAI meet Diablo (1 or 2, never played 3) for gearing, co-op support and unlocking difficulty for better chance at better gear.  Plus matchmaking instead of LAN/join server feature, content/loot scaling and the ability to replay missions without having to restart the story.
    Octagon7711
  • XA20XXA20X Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited December 2018
    Ain't nobody ask for this Bioware. Ain't nobody want this. For what, 20 some years you had made RPGs and that is what I look to you for. WTF is this shit? What am I supposed to do with this? I already have this game twice over in the form of Destiny and Warframe. There is nothing wrong with devs trying something new, but this isn't new. I'm just supposed to hand you my money and go along for the ride while you work out how to create games for an entirely new genre? I don't think so.

These companies are so far out of touch with their consumers it is almost laughable. Do you honestly think Bioware fans would rather play this shit than a new RPG based on a totally new IP?

Hell, where is my Jade Empire 2, motherfuckers?

I'm sure the game will sell well enough to avoid being called out as a total flop, don't get me wrong. I'm not entirely stupid.

But make no mistake Bioware, you're not winning any fans here. You're turning your back on the people who put you where you are, to build something that has literally already been done. Either you really believe you can make a lasting contributing to the looter shooter ( Which I doubt ) or you honestly think you can just push this shit on your fans and they'll eat it up anyways. Neither option really does anything but spell out for those of us paying attention what Bioware really thinks and what they are really about.
    JeffSpicoliRexKushman
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited December 2018
    Robot suit picks up big canister, it magically appears on hip as little thing then magically appears when it gets placed.

I guess showing the animation of picking up the canister and installing it, would be too hardcore or expensive.

It's the little things like that that makes game play more interesting.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Hey look guys, the "tank" suit has a taunt.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Robot suit picks up big canister, it magically appears on hip then magically appears when it gets placed.

I guess showing the animation of picking up the canister and installing it, would be too hardcore or expensive.

Such animations are typically sacrifices made for the player experience. Depending on how frequent an animation is expected to occur, gratuitously detailed and realistic animations can become tiring and cumbersome.

For instance, a lavishly detailed looting animation (like that of RDR2) that takes several seconds may be realistic, but it also makes the game less fun to play and makes looting less enjoyable.

A lavishly detailed walking animation may look good, but it often doesn't feel good. For example, Grand Theft Auto characters have a reputation for "tank controls" because their overdetailed movements trade responsiveness for realism.

Aeander said:

Robot suit picks up big canister, it magically appears on hip then magically appears when it gets placed.

Such animations are typically sacrifices made for the player experience. Depending on how frequent an animation is expected to occur, gratuitously detailed and realistic animations can become tiring and cumbersome.

For instance, a lavishly detailed looting animation (like that of RDR2) that takes several seconds may be realistic, but it also makes the game less fun to play and makes looting less enjoyable.

A lavishly detailed walking animation may look good, but it often doesn't feel good. For example, Grand Theft Auto characters have a reputation for "tank controls" because their overdetailed movements trade responsiveness for realism.

So making a quick animation that can be unrealistic if needed to show that the robot suit picked up the canister and threw it next to a door ruins fun and won't feel good? I'm not saying they have to be fully encumbered but jeez. The solution is to show it appear as a generic thingy box on the hip?

Meanwhile

IJS litte things can add to the dynamic range of gameplay and detail. Other games do it perfectly fine. They're already making the player hold down a button to time sink the interaction. An animation and proper asset placement wouldn't hurt.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

IJS litte things can add to the dynamic range of gameplay and detail. Other games do it perfectly fine. They're already making the player hold down a button to time sink the interaction. An animation and proper asset placement wouldn't hurt.
    Asian games seem to be excellent with little details. For some reason western devs don't value that.
    Octagon7711FlyByKnight
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Sovrath said:

Asian games seem to be excellent with little details. For some reason western devs don't value that.

What I have learned in all my years is the saying is always true, "You can please some of the people all the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    XA20X said:
    Ain't nobody ask for this Bioware. Ain't nobody want this. For what, 20 some years you had made RPGs and that is what I look to you for. WTF is this shit? What am I supposed to do with this? I already have this game twice over in the form of Destiny and Warframe. There is nothing wrong with devs trying something new, but this isn't new. I'm just supposed to hand you my money and go along for the ride while you work out how to create games for an entirely new genre? I don't think so.

These companies are so far out of touch with their consumers it is almost laughable. Do you honestly think Bioware fans would rather play this shit than a new RPG based on a totally new IP?

Hell, where is my Jade Empire 2, motherfuckers?

I'm sure the game will sell well enough to avoid being called out as a total flop, don't get me wrong. I'm not entirely stupid.

But make no mistake Bioware, you're not winning any fans here. You're turning your back on the people who put you where you are, to build something that has literally already been done. Either you really believe you can make a lasting contributing to the looter shooter ( Which I doubt ) or you honestly think you can just push this shit on your fans and they'll eat it up anyways. Neither option really does anything but spell out for those of us paying attention what Bioware really thinks and what they are really about.
    Welcome to the boards!
    JeffSpicoli
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It looks/plays damn impressive and there seems to be a lot of depth to kitting your mech out.  If that holds true It will already surpass destiny for me, which tries to simplify things with the their system and instead just makes it more convoluted while offering less customization.

I don't really care that it's not another Dragon age or similar Bioware title.....Bioware is just a name, I care about the game being good regardless of what "Bioware should be making".
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2018

Aeander said:

So making a quick animation that can be unrealistic if needed to show that the robot suit picked up the canister and threw it next to a door ruins fun and won't feel good? I'm not saying they have to be fully encumbered but jeez. The solution is to show it appear as a generic thingy box on the hip?

Meanwhile

One of the things I don't like in games is when the character can't jump.  He can climb up walls or over fences sometimes and at other times has to go around a stump or rock because for some reason he can't just step or jump over it.  That said, every game is just a list of pros and cons with me playing the ones that have the most pros for me.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Remember, Bioware doesn't exist anymore.  It's just EA using the name to mask their terrible reputation.  Just like Comcast changing their name to Xfinity.  Honestly, Breach looks better(made by ex-Bioware devs) and it's not even my kind of game. 
    Octagon7711
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't think I've heard anything about in game purchases which could be a red flag.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey