Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exclusive New World Q&A - The Shroud of Mystery Begins to Lift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 33,120
    edited December 2018
    TimEisen said:
    Samhael said:

Softball questions. I'm disappointed no probing questions were asked about how Amazon will monitor the gank sessions, etc. that people have been breaking NDA to report.
    As the old saying goes, your toughest question will be your last question. Some studios like Mark Jacobs/CSE are known for tanking all tough questions and welcome them which is something I've always respected about him. Others either wont answer and you lose your QnA entirely or wont give you another QnA if you get too tough. Its a more challenging position than it appears. It isn't like politics where they are expected to give access and answers. As far as gank sessions...are we sure this isn't a sim about working for Amazon? :D
    We asked a LOT of questions. These are the ones they returned. End of story.
    Octagon7711TorvalTimEisenTokkenNycteliosUngoodcraftseekerinfomatzCayleraKyleranand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

Good no carebear servers! The way I like it.

Hope you can enjoy a game on life support then.

I always love how people assume that their tastes are universal, and if it isn't what they expressly want, then it's doomed to "failure", which also is a fairly subjective word.

There have been several games that catered to a PvP niche group, with varying degrees of success. The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster for many games since the release of WoW. (Which shockingly managed to provide fun for multiple demographics of players for a significant period of time.)

The game won't arrive on life support, and yes, some folks have said that they want more PvE, however I'll applaud Amazon for sticking to their vision. I hope though that their financial expectations are also tempered and their realize that their are building a game that is going to fill a niche, not be a "blockbuster" that appeals to everyone. Pick what you are doing, stick to it, and do it better than anyone else out there.....they do that, the game will have a following, and I'd rather see more developers take that approach, then trying to appeal to the masses, and end up satisfying nobody.
    I just don't see Bezos and Co satisfied with a "niche" product.
    TimEisencraftseekerKajidourdenSpottyGekkoKyleran

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Torval said:
    TimEisen said:

The true sandbox imo is still SWG. nothing has come close to that. It had something for everyone.

(insert impassioned applause here)

This, so much this. Why is it PVE or PVP or PVEPVPF or PVEF or whatever else there is now. How did a game from 2003 do things that appear to be unreplicable with modern tech?
    I think because they didn't try to arbitrarily define things in this neat little box and then bolt them together in a sensible fashion. They built systems that did things and they mostly worked together really well, except for a few.

For DAoC, it was simple: create interesting zones with interesting objectives that gave boons to winning factions without dooming or directly punishing any other faction.

Mix in persistent battlegrounds for pre-endgame, instead of leaning all the way into the arena "twitchable" PvP battleground mess that's choking the life outta MMORPG PvP today because devs think somehow their MMORPG PvP will be more watchable than someone building a skyscraper in seconds to jump off of and shotgun someone in the face, if only they just had the right BG game mode and action combat system!!!!!!1!!!1!1!!1!!1!oneone!one
    TorvalTimEiseninfomatzThahar

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    I can see many variations of 3 musketeer names looking at that one shot.  Interesting decisions being made.  I cannot see why they would not include PvE servers for this as it will limit their scope.  You cannot look at Fortnite and go...o look people love pvp now so lets design our MMO around pvp.  

For the record I enjoy PVP and will give this a shot but at same time amazon is the type of company who wants to maximize profits and appeal to everyone.   Yes the game setting lines up for a good pvp setting but forced pvp titles in this genre are niche and most are a small niche.
    TimEisen
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,290

I can see many variations of 3 musketeer names looking at that one shot.  Interesting decisions being made.  I cannot see why they would not include PvE servers for this as it will limit their scope.  You cannot look at Fortnite and go...o look people love pvp now so lets design our MMO around pvp.  

For the record I enjoy PVP and will give this a shot but at same time amazon is the type of company who wants to maximize profits and appeal to everyone.   Yes the game setting lines up for a good pvp setting but forced pvp titles in this genre are niche and most are a small niche.

I am very interested in the Amazon in this. Its odd to me they would even go into a niche unless they see what WOW had as a potential ceiling for these games. What this game comes out as will tell us a lot about what Amazon is going to do, and not do, with their game studio.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,755
    edited December 2018
    Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

I always love how people assume that their tastes are universal, and if it isn't what they expressly want, then it's doomed to "failure", which also is a fairly subjective word.

There have been several games that catered to a PvP niche group, with varying degrees of success. The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster for many games since the release of WoW. (Which shockingly managed to provide fun for multiple demographics of players for a significant period of time.)

The game won't arrive on life support, and yes, some folks have said that they want more PvE, however I'll applaud Amazon for sticking to their vision. I hope though that their financial expectations are also tempered and their realize that their are building a game that is going to fill a niche, not be a "blockbuster" that appeals to everyone. Pick what you are doing, stick to it, and do it better than anyone else out there.....they do that, the game will have a following, and I'd rather see more developers take that approach, then trying to appeal to the masses, and end up satisfying nobody.
    I just don't see Bezos and Co satisfied with a "niche" product.
    Amazon may have had a lot of money to throw around to make something happen. Sandbox survival is the newest thing going around.  Later they can turn it into a BR.
    MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 99

Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.

I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.
    Thane

Kinring said:

Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.

I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.
    OK, please tell me about the vision part.
    HatefullcraftseekerKyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29
    It is definitely not a survival game.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,618
    Yapg - Yet another pvp game
    Yawn - Expression of bored disinterest
    craftseeker
  • EggonomiconEggonomicon Member UncommonPosts: 15

flizzer said:

No PvE servers no thanks :(

PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.

Totally agree. PvP-centric games crash fast.
    Hatefullcraftseeker
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,897
    edited December 2018
    After reading this mini interview I only have 2 problems with New World so far.

1) PvP focused. Nothing to say here, it's just not for me.

2) They said they are making the game based on player feedback? I thought they had a vision.

The second one is my biggest concern. When they say the game is shaped by player feedback they show either they never had a vision of what game they wanted to make, or they just want to cater to everyone.

I miss the days when developers decided what type of games they wanted to make and the audience interested in it would support it. Now it's all about pleasing the whole world in case half the world doesn't want it there's the other half to back it up.

We will see at launch.

• GeekoGamesGeekoGames Member CommonPosts: 2
    Yeah, their vision is or isn't confirmed with player feedback. If they tried to "please everyone" they'd announce pve servers. I can say this... it's the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

And I laugh when ppl say "oooooh nooo, pvpee is not for meee" then they login to Fortnite, LOL or BFV.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,397
    The setting sounds interesting. Wish they'd talked more about the combat, since that's what is going to make or break it for me.
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Yikes, another pvp centric like Darkfall.  Doomed to the same fate of course.  I'll give it 6 months to be nice.  Pass since I'm primarily a PvE player in fantasy type games.  I save my PvP for shooters.
    Hatefullcraftseeker
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,225
    edited December 2018
    Me after reading this: image
    craftseeker
  • HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 2,076

Maurgrim said:

coming from a pvp oriented person (me) I have to agree here. I think Amazon just blew a golden opportunity. Shooters being excepted, PvP centric games just do not have longevity (with few exceptions) as the...lets say level of Douchebag far exceeds the level of curious people. So you end up with servers that have really unhealthy populations and then, eventually shut down.

Too bad, as they were describing the idea behind the game I was getting interested, but I do not see any meaningful reason to even try this game.

Just look at the responses here, most are like no pve? not for me, and the very few that indicate they would like a pvp game, are complete...well we all get it.

Such a waste.
    TorvalAeliousThaharKyleran

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

There vision seems to be about the time period of the game.  That's what their answers above focused on the most, and the fact they want it to be open world PvP with maybe a few safe zones, forcing people to band together to create a player based factioned experience.   Most of the popular MMO's out there have this already in addition to large PvE only areas, which is why they are so popular, PvP/PvE when you want.  I don't see how offering less content is going to make a game popular.  Hopefully they have some aces up theirs sleeves they plan to spring on everyone in the future.

My suggestion,  make it like a Roanoke Colony mystery.  Put up some carvings and etched messages and found notes about the colony that use to live there and as you explore, you uncover the mystery of their disappearance and gain access to what they left behind.  Perhaps in an HP Lovecraft or pre-Secret World style.  An old world theme may not be enough to keep people interested in the game unless it's linked to a pretty big mystery, like Crysis when the game shifted to an out of this world experience.

Anyways, I wish them well and hope they become a big success.
    Torval

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,800
    edited December 2018
    The combat is so trash, if it's PVP, it failed already. I don't see them overhauling what they have.

There's levels in the game of which you level from chopping down trees and killing wild life, if it's PVP, it failed already. All it is people racing to rape the ecosystem barren because of "leveling" and the highest level guy smacking fire out of new and naked players.

It's a decent looking survival lumberyard tech demo full of new "testers" who don't know any better.
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,295

The combat is so trash, if it's PVP, it failed already. I don't see them overhauling what they have.

There's levels in the game of which you level from chopping down trees and killing wild life, if it's PVP, it failed already. All it is people racing to rape the ecosystem barren because of "leveling" and the highest level guy smacking fire out of new and naked players.

It's a decent looking survival lumberyard tech demo full of new "testers" who don't know any better.

Maybe they are going after the BDO monetisation model.
  • LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Another PVP only MMO...boring...
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 108

flizzer said:

PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.

Yep, that rules me out too. There are so many other PvP games, I don't know why they thought they would be bringing something new to the table with yet another PvP game, but my wife and I have plenty of other PvE choices.

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,542
    Regnor said:

flizzer said:

Yep, that rules me out too. There are so many other PvP games, I don't know why they thought they would be bringing something new to the table with yet another PvP game, but my wife and I have plenty of other PvE choices.
    Really? So many other pvp games? That are good? And which games might these be. That are good that is.  B)
    NorseGod

• KanwulfKanwulf Member UncommonPosts: 5

Sovrath said:

Regnor said:

flizzer said:

Really? So many other pvp games? That are good? And which games might these be. That are good that is.  B)

Yes please do post that list, maybe I missed something in the last 10 years that are a good PvP MMO.
    I've been looking pretty hard but maybe I missed them all.
    SovrathMikehaNorseGod
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 317
    I wont be playing as I have no interest in a PvP MMO. But I commend them for doing one or the other. Games that try to do both end up messing one side up. Wow had to balance all classes for PvP and that messed up PvE and so on...