Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exclusive New World Q&A - The Shroud of Mystery Begins to Lift - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageExclusive New World Q&A - The Shroud of Mystery Begins to Lift - MMORPG.com

Amazon Game Studios' New World has been shrouded in mystery since it was first announced in late 2016. While the game has been in alpha testing for some time, little information has been forthcoming from the studio. That changes today with an exclusive interview with AGS Studio Head Patrick Gilmore, Game Director Scot Lane and Executive Producer Rich Lawrence. Find out more about this unique MMO in the making.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    edited December 2018
    No PvE servers no thanks :(
    PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.
    techcliqueSamhaeldruez[Deleted User]ValentinakjempffTokkenEggonomiconphoenixfire2Panserbjorne39and 21 others.
  • ganoesz12ganoesz12 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Boo.. I was really excited about this concept until I saw it was PVP focused. Oh well.
    LeilonitechcliquedruezValentinakjempffTokkenchocolate42069Thuplicraftseekerinfomatzand 8 others.
  • HoldslowhopeHoldslowhope Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Good no carebear servers! The way I like it.
    mmolouThahargrumblestormMikehabobbymcswansondruez[Deleted User]chocolate42069craftseekerinfomatzand 7 others.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

flizzer said:

No PvE servers no thanks :(

PvE players like myself will stay away from this game so why even include safe zones. MIght as well appeal to your PvP audience and do away with them completely.

There's honestly nothing for a PvE player to do in this game unless you want to be a dedicated guild crafter.
    PhryKooturKyleranjarsku85
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Face-palm game of 2019.
    Tokkencraftseekergastovski1Kooturkevinmillerphx

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.
    mmoloukjempff
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    So they get feedback from their testers for more pve and safe areas which they say they have done... But they still look at their game as a PvP game for whatever reason. The players have already spoken and they really aren't listening.

DOA.
    mmoloulecram64TokkencraftseekerThaharPhrykinkyJalepenoIce-QueenBooLadedadaRoxRocksand 1 other.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Hope you can enjoy a game on life support then.
    grumblestormSlyLoKlecram64AzothTokkenTacticalZombehchocolate42069HatefullUngoodcraftseekerand 11 others.
  • KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104

OG_Zorvan said:

Just one more "survival game" to add to the quickly festering pile.

Except this is not a survival game! It is a sandbox MMORPG with a few minor survival elements. The biggest survival element is that more mobs spawn at night time than in the day. That is it! Lots of games have that or a similar aspect and are not considered survival. You don't have to eat food, you don't have to wear clothing, and you don't have to have shelter to survive. So why would you call it a survival game?
    ConstantineMerusCaylera

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Maurgrim said:

I always love how people assume that their tastes are universal, and if it isn't what they expressly want, then it's doomed to "failure", which also is a fairly subjective word.

There have been several games that catered to a PvP niche group, with varying degrees of success. The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster for many games since the release of WoW. (Which shockingly managed to provide fun for multiple demographics of players for a significant period of time.)

The game won't arrive on life support, and yes, some folks have said that they want more PvE, however I'll applaud Amazon for sticking to their vision. I hope though that their financial expectations are also tempered and their realize that their are building a game that is going to fill a niche, not be a "blockbuster" that appeals to everyone. Pick what you are doing, stick to it, and do it better than anyone else out there.....they do that, the game will have a following, and I'd rather see more developers take that approach, then trying to appeal to the masses, and end up satisfying nobody.
    CayleraultimateduckRovnMikeha[Deleted User]
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Having a great deal of trouble dredging up any interest in this. I am trying, though, I'm just not seeing a lot of potential or things that might catch my interest.

T
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    People on this forum are delusional... This is a game specifically made for the Twitch playerbase by Amazon. Do you actually believe that people will sit in front of their computers to watch a damn pve game? Really?
    UngoodobiiKyleranBrunlinRovn
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

SlyLoK said:

So they get feedback from their testers for more pve and safe areas which they say they have done... But they still look at their game as a PvP game for whatever reason. The players have already spoken and they really aren't listening.

DOA.

It seems they are listening.

They aren't going to change the focus of their game because "this is the game they want to make."

Just because some people don't like their focus doesn't mean they are going to completely turn their back on their vision.

Players like to talk about companies selling out but a company can also sell out to their a segment of their customers who aren't really on board with what the company is making.

If what you say is true, and they added more pve and safe areas then they have listened. Good for them.

Now, if they misjudge the market, if they aren't clear that their customers can support their game, well, that's a different thing. But that's on them.
    HengistOctagon7711Clutch586craftseekerConstantineMerusinfomatzCayleraBrunlinRoxRocks
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Glad a company with some funding decided to make a pvp oriented game with some vision behind it. Darkfall was the last one to come out and thanks to the shady greek devs, it was a train wreck.
    I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  
    craftseekerPhryMendel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Softball questions. I'm disappointed no probing questions were asked about how Amazon will monitor the gank sessions, etc. that people have been breaking NDA to report.
    PhryKyleran
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I must be missing the vision part.  It sounds like a standard survival game.  More copy/paste then vision.  
    This is not a survival game, it's an MMORPG with some survival game elements. It's the logical evolution of the sandbox mmo. It's what UO, AC (to a degree, on Darktide at least), DAoC (set factions vs player built factions in this instance), Shadowbane, and Darkfall set out to do. Some were successful, others were not. 

There have been no well put together pvp mmo's made since DAoC. Shadowbane was fun, probably the most fun I have had in an MMO, however the engine was a dumpster fire. Darkfall tried to merge UO and Shadowbane, and unfortunately, due to the ineptitude of Aventurine, both of their ventures tanked.

There is a void in the market and Amazon is planning on finally trying to fill it with this game. No other studio or publisher wanted to take a chance, they are beholden to the shareholder. Luckily, Amazon sees this as an opportunity to promote Twitch and attract viewers so they are willing to invest. 

The MMORPG genre has been in decline for at least 10 years. AAA studios are no longer interested because nobody but the top few already established games are making any kind of money. The top MMO's? PvE. If MMO's are going to survive as a genre they need games like this, even if they aren't for everyone. The same can be said for games like Landmark or EQN. Sadly, Columbus Nova wasn't willing to invest so the games died. 
    craftseekerultimateduckMikeha
    edited December 2018

This is not a survival game, it's an MMORPG with some survival game elements. It's the logical evolution of the sandbox mmo. It's what UO, AC (to a degree, on Darktide at least), DAoC (set factions vs player built factions in this instance), Shadowbane, and Darkfall set out to do. Some were successful, others were not. 

There have been no well put together pvp mmo's made since DAoC. Shadowbane was fun, probably the most fun I have had in an MMO, however the engine was a dumpster fire. Darkfall tried to merge UO and Shadowbane, and unfortunately, due to the ineptitude of Aventurine, both of their ventures tanked.

There is a void in the market and Amazon is planning on finally trying to fill it with this game. No other studio or publisher wanted to take a chance, they are beholden to the shareholder. Luckily, Amazon sees this as an opportunity to promote Twitch and attract viewers so they are willing to invest. 

The MMORPG genre has been in decline for at least 10 years. AAA studios are no longer interested because nobody but the top few already established games are making any kind of money. The top MMO's? PvE. If MMO's are going to survive as a genre they need games like this, even if they aren't for everyone. The same can be said for games like Landmark or EQN. Sadly, Columbus Nova wasn't willing to invest so the games died. 

Logical evolution? How will this game evolve traditional sandbox gameplay?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• neofitneofit Member UncommonPosts: 20
    edited December 2018

There have been no well put together pvp mmo's made since DAoC.

Yet each and every one of them claimed to be THE ONE. And of course, this totally generic pvp-focused (cheaper than making quests and dungeons, right?), with a totally cliché marketing spiel, WILL be the one. Now come on, pass the doobie.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2018
    TimEisen said:
    Samhael said:

Softball questions. I'm disappointed no probing questions were asked about how Amazon will monitor the gank sessions, etc. that people have been breaking NDA to report.
    As the old saying goes, your toughest question will be your last question. Some studios like Mark Jacobs/CSE are known for tanking all tough questions and welcome them which is something I've always respected about him. Others either wont answer and you lose your QnA entirely or wont give you another QnA if you get too tough. Its a more challenging position than it appears. It isn't like politics where they are expected to give access and answers. As far as gank sessions...are we sure this isn't a sim about working for Amazon? :D
    We asked a LOT of questions. These are the ones they returned. End of story.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]Tokken[Deleted User]UngoodcraftseekerinfomatzCayleraKyleranand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

I always love how people assume that their tastes are universal, and if it isn't what they expressly want, then it's doomed to "failure", which also is a fairly subjective word.

There have been several games that catered to a PvP niche group, with varying degrees of success. The idea of trying to please absolutely everyone has been an unmitigated disaster for many games since the release of WoW. (Which shockingly managed to provide fun for multiple demographics of players for a significant period of time.)

The game won't arrive on life support, and yes, some folks have said that they want more PvE, however I'll applaud Amazon for sticking to their vision. I hope though that their financial expectations are also tempered and their realize that their are building a game that is going to fill a niche, not be a "blockbuster" that appeals to everyone. Pick what you are doing, stick to it, and do it better than anyone else out there.....they do that, the game will have a following, and I'd rather see more developers take that approach, then trying to appeal to the masses, and end up satisfying nobody.
    I just don't see Bezos and Co satisfied with a "niche" product.
    [Deleted User]craftseekerKajidourdenSpottyGekkoKyleran

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    TimEisen said:

The true sandbox imo is still SWG. nothing has come close to that. It had something for everyone.

(insert impassioned applause here)

This, so much this. Why is it PVE or PVP or PVEPVPF or PVEF or whatever else there is now. How did a game from 2003 do things that appear to be unreplicable with modern tech?
    I think because they didn't try to arbitrarily define things in this neat little box and then bolt them together in a sensible fashion. They built systems that did things and they mostly worked together really well, except for a few.

For DAoC, it was simple: create interesting zones with interesting objectives that gave boons to winning factions without dooming or directly punishing any other faction.

Mix in persistent battlegrounds for pre-endgame, instead of leaning all the way into the arena "twitchable" PvP battleground mess that's choking the life outta MMORPG PvP today because devs think somehow their MMORPG PvP will be more watchable than someone building a skyscraper in seconds to jump off of and shotgun someone in the face, if only they just had the right BG game mode and action combat system!!!!!!1!!!1!1!!1!!1!oneone!one
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]infomatzThahar

edited December 2018
    Hengist said:

Maurgrim said:

I just don't see Bezos and Co satisfied with a "niche" product.
    Amazon may have had a lot of money to throw around to make something happen. Sandbox survival is the newest thing going around.  Later they can turn it into a BR.
    MadFrenchie

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.
    Thane

Kinring said:

Considering you are missing the fact that it is not a survival game, it is easy to see how you are missing the vision part.
    OK, please tell me about the vision part.
    HatefullcraftseekerKyleran