Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATLAS Extended Length Gameplay Trailer to Help Ease the 2-Day Delay - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    d_20 said:
    Jokers. Doesn't look good to keep pushing back release dates. It looks incompetent. 

I'm not saying they have to rush to release. Just release when it's ready. When you know it's going to be ready, announce a date. Whatever happened to that?
    Because its the in thing to release games unfinished and a buggy mess #cough# FO76 #cough# 
    Seriously though, it would make a change.
    If anything all i am seeing so far is that Atlas is not even feature complete, i'd even lay heavy odds on the reason for the push backs being because of stability issues even in its current incomplete form, hopefully they aren't going to pull a bethesda, but honestly, i think they will totally pull a bethesda. :p
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Gamers are perhaps the most optimistic people on the planet.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    Gamers are perhaps the most optimistic people on the planet.
    And also have the best BS detectors on the planet due to exposure to high levels of it from marketers and other hype merchants. Given the amount of 'creative' stimulation that Gaming has on their brains, i'd hazard a guess that the average gamer is probably more likely to be in the upper quadrant when it comes to the intelligence bell curve! ;)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Well this one is a little different. The Streamers (some of them paid some not) were the ones that got screwed last night. I doubt with a title like ATLAS (despite the history of the developer) it will matter. But last night gave all the streamers with an ax to grind a podium to vent and bash wildcard (with full mob mentality from their viewers.

Streamers (as 'content creators') made it all about them, and not anything else. Then they swung back to the other 'normies' who might also want to play the game.

Thing is these guys (unless some got keys released already and have it predownloaded which isnt likely) were going to be sitting there for an hour at least trying to simply download the game itself.

I wanted to watch for the sheer hilarity of that. But it will come when the thing eventually drops. Because nothing makes better content than watching some dude download a game at 8/Mbps (not to be confused with 8 mb/s which would be 64 mbps) because the servers are getting bombarded with people trying to do the same thing. But at 64 Mbps the 60 GB (I think thats what they say youll initially need with 100 GB for full release, which we know will probably be twice that before theyre done) would take about 2 and a half hours. Then of course it has to be installed.

I was reading some old forum posts from 5 years ago though and people were talking about how 10-12 hours for a 50 GB game download 'wasnt bad'. I remember way back it was like that I dont remember 12 I remember 6-8 but it was surely more than 5 years ago.

But anyways. Steamers are divas and theyre going to have their say, but when it finally releases theyll kiss ass and say how awesome it is (untul they stop getting paid) then you MIGHT hear a semi honest opinion out of them. Or if they never plan on getting paid by a dev again you might hear the real truth. But in most cases even the 'truths' are bias filled or swayed by whatever the feeling of the month is. Right now for example youre not going to hear a supposedly neutral streamer say anything positive about FO 76 even if it actually is better and/or decent.
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    If anyone was on the fence about buying and playing Atlas ,"Ark Pirates addition". Is no longer on the fence !
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    At least the servers wont crash now
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Nyctelios said:
    MaxBacon said:
    They still suffer from the Ark Mistake, that is no communication.

I mean I understand how they work, they are always pushing to the very last minute, pushing builds, testing builds, until a release candidate is deemed stable enough, but then in development a single issue fix can take way more than a day to fix even with core focus on it... So they don't have any buffer or margin to even communicate a delay beforehand.

What they needed to do is to make clear the dates are not solid and are just estimates with the likeness of change when/if further issues arise.

Because the lead dev on Discord implies just that, Friday itself is one superficial estimate that isn't guaranteed, aka another drama to happen if missed, that needs to be thrown out there not just in discord chats.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think that all the guarantees and explanations in the entire universe will avoid dramas (specially on discord servers).

This is like a footnote in humanity's history and as much I hate to put things in perspective some context is needed: Is a new game, the concept souds cool, but let's get real - it's just what it is: a piece of entertainment.
    Well dramas happen, just Wildcard has a culture of silence instead of transmitting the struggles they also face to imply something might or might not get done in time, when this, as Ark, as that mainstream exposure, it also has the mainstream hate, that is a bunch of entitled people having a go at early access.

Also we'll see the same when the MMO servers launch, because there is no such thing as one popular MMO launch where the servers won't go through hell, so more people raging at that when it happens, it's just predictable things but the same old dejavu drama.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Scot said:
    Its a two day delay, not two months, but hey let the outrage and tears flow.
    I haven't seen a whole lotta actual outrage here.  I've seen sarcasm and "figures," neither of which qualify as outrage.

Over on Steam, I see more emotional posting, but guess what's right along side the outrage?  Apologists trying to qualify the events and even commanding that players are wrong and there was no delay from the projected release yesterday cause Wildcard said so.

Certain portions of the gaming population will always feel jilted or will have their heads shoved in the sand ostrich-style.  Best thing we can do to curb the behavior is stop acknowledging and focusing on it.  That's the entire point of their tirades.
    Sovrath

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    That trailer looks great. I can't imagine they are really going to release on Christmas weekend lol. The amount of people trying to play they are just asking for disaster. Yeah i know its Early Access but people won't care .
    Asheram
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I haven't seen a whole lotta actual outrage here.  I've seen sarcasm and "figures," neither of which qualify as outrage.
    The official Discord of Atlas that went out of control.

The voice chat channels were hundreds screaming on the mic with the mods having no idea who or what was going on.

They had to disable literally all chat channels to try to control 2 main channels get flooded with tags attacking and trolling the devs and mods.

It was like this for hours and hours until some slight hope of humanity did return to Atlas community once again. xD

Pretty much this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH7-nC_9igA
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited December 2018
    rodarin said:
    LMAO for ALL the rage and tantrums they wont lose a single sale. Its actually good publicity. Because any publicity is good publicity. 

Anyone with a brain knew they couldnt release it when they said they would. I have been on record since they first announced this is was going to be ARK 2.0 (if even that 'good').

"Anyone with a brain knew they could not release it" on the 19th....for a delay to the 21st? Seriously dude? You called that huh? They already delayed it once for a week, anyone with a brain could expect that maybe they just needed a week to tweak some stuff. I mean, wtf is a week when speaking of game development, could not have been anything major. 

"Anyone with a brain" lol. If only we were all as intelligent as you....

Go on record now, are you saying they will not release it Friday as well?

JeffSpicoli
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Viper482 said:
    rodarin said:
    LMAO for ALL the rage and tantrums they wont lose a single sale. Its actually good publicity. Because any publicity is good publicity. 

Anyone with a brain knew they couldnt release it when they said they would. I have been on record since they first announced this is was going to be ARK 2.0 (if even that 'good').

"Anyone with a brain knew they could not release it" on the 19th....for a delay to the 21st? Seriously dude? You called that huh? They already delayed it once for a week, anyone with a brain could expect that maybe they just needed a week to tweak some stuff. I mean, wtf is a week when speaking of game development, could not have been anything major. 

"Anyone with a brain" lol. If only we were all as intelligent as you....

Go on record now, are you saying they will not release it Friday as well?

no I dont think it will be out before new years assuming they dont force people to work over the holiday. You dont delay something for 7 days and think its going to be 'fixed' and then delay that another 2 days and think whatever you couldnt get right in 7 was going to be done right in another 48 hours.

Add to that its Wildcard who have never in all the hundreds (literally) of updates ARK has had over the past 3 years never ever had one release on time.

So no, if they want to release something playable then it wont be out for awhile. Of course they could just cave to the backlash, release whatever garbage they have now (its going to be garbage anyway, again, knowing them) so there is that.

But also knowing them and knowing they will release optimized trash then whatever it is that is actually not allowing them to release must be pretty catastrophic. So that just adds to the negative beliefe they will be able to release even if they want to.

These guys arent that good. 80% of the 'success' of ARK can be directly contributed to the mod makers who made the game playable when the devs couldnt. Streamers and RP nerds also had a pretty large hand in its early push as it was top 5 streams on twitch for over a year (before all the BRs came out). So to think theyre capable of fixing something bad enough to keep them from missing a release time (twice) is pretty optimistic.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    soooo. the plan was to.... give a vid about what could have been had if it would have been released on time?

yep, what could possibly go wrong :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    It's not that they delayed the launch. It's that they waited 30 minutes after their launch window to even say it's delayed. They posted the video like it was part of the schedule and said it will launch on the 21st. No apology or explanation. Just poor management 
    It's not that they delayed the launch. It's that they waited 30 minutes after their launch window to even say it's delayed. They posted the video like it was part of the schedule and said it will launch on the 21st. No apology or explanation. Just poor management 
    I am not sure if this was an actual communication from Wildcard or just apologists making shit up, but apparently it was played off as the 19th was never actually the release date.

Yeah, it was so obvious they weren't planning a December 19th release that they literally allowed every platform and media outlet to report that date without bothering to correct it until AFTER they missed the date.  Sure.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    Maybe they haven’t implemented the sea in Atlas yet and now they are using all the salty tears to fill it up? I don’t know, and although I think that it is pretty poor communication I really don’t care that much. 2 days on a headstart of a game that came out of nowhere about two weeks ago, shrug.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited December 2018
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    Maybe they haven’t implemented the sea in Atlas yet and now they are using all the salty tears to fill it up? I don’t know, and although I think that it is pretty poor communication I really don’t care that much. 2 days on a headstart of a game that came out of nowhere about two weeks ago, shrug.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The environment gamers are in currently is driving this.  Nothing happens in a vacuum; other shitty dev moves make it harder for the next shitty dev move to go unnoticed, no matter who is committing the next shitty move.

It seems to be building.  If pubs/devs didn't want alarmists scouring their every move, they can thank the other devs/pubs who put said alarmists on high alert by finding a way to take a mile every time players were willing to give an inch.

• BloodDiimondBloodDiimond Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I STILL can't wait for this game to come out :D I think like 99.99% still do and we're mad cuz it looks soooooooo damn fun hahahaha

I can't wait :) STILL :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Keywords.....Early Access.
    Why do you think that is?

Seen any roadmap of what is unfinished ,content that we can expect?I didn't think so because there isn't one,this is a done deal but they are going to release it unpolished because that is what devs do now a days.

Know what an unfinished unpolished game is worth?Well about $5.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited December 2018
    Latest discord update:
    "JatheishToday at 4:53 PM
    We will have some streamers getting into the game before the Official Launch tomorrow. It'll be a staggered invite, so we'll be bringing in groups of people at a time, allowing us to monitor the effects on our server nodes. They will be playing on a special branch, which won't carry over to launch (none of their progress is saving). Invites are handled via Reverb Games, so if you've signed up as a Content Creator, you do have a chance at receiving one (https://twitter.com/ReverbGames/status/1070947781265641472). They'll continue to go out over the night and into tomorrow as we get closer to launch. When we're satisfied with the stability, and assuming all our other ducks are in order we'll be officially releasing the title onto Steam Early Access."