Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry 42 Financials Released

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Erillion said:
    >>> LOL Eve doesnt have avatars.  >>>

You have no idea about EVE Online, that much is obvious.

Image result for EVE Online avatar walking

Have fun

PS:
    At present that functionality has been switched off. Its was called "Captain's quarters" and you can walk around, look at yourself in the mirror of your cabin, walk to your ship and inspect it from the outside. It was based on the "World of Darkness" engine CCP was working on for some years.

That's the avatar you can walk around the station with right ?

I recall betaing EVE and I remember picking the face they had some great art then I realised it had no body since you played as a the ship.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>>
    That's the avatar you can walk around the station with right ?
    >>>

Its a bit off-topic but to elaborate:

There was not ONE avatar.

With your old EVE portrait as a start, you could spend HOURS modelling your avatar, your face, your body, your clothing, tatoos, scars, accessories etc.

So everyone was able to make his/her very individual avatar.

You could walk around in a limited set of rooms. Also watch your ship in spacedock.

What you could not do ... walk out. Meet other avatars. Do anything more than watch the in game TV news in your cabin. You could NOT get drunk in game ;-)

Have fun

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Its only "common" because Chris Roberts was able to do it. Like I said it used to be WOW clones now its CR clones (at least in trying to make money).

Show me a single crowd funded game or kickstarter that had ANY sort of packages like this prior to even 2015.

Also love how 12 days from 2019 you call it 2018. Thats you in a nutshell right there, especially when trying to twist facts into some CiG white knight defending position.

Also given the dates were taken from a 2012 article with quotes from Roberts himself I dont know why you people always try to change it. Even giving it a 'perfect' start time of 10-19-2011 (he said in an interview on 10-18-2012) I can tell that because it was posted on 10-19-2018 and they said he sat for the interview yesterday. But from 10-18-2011 to today (not including today) its been 2619 days. Thats 7 years 2 months and a day. SO technically the guy was incorrect thinking it was closer to 10 than 6, but whatever its longer than you want to admit in any event.

As for 'immersion'. LMAO< yeah they srpinkle in some basic crap any game can simulate (getting drunk) and people think its immersive. I dont know of any game that DOESNT have some sort of intoxicated or 'poisoned' effect in it. Yet to you its 'your favorite'.

But keep up the spin they certainly cant accuse you of not earning whatever theyre paying you.
    >>>> Show me a single crowd funded game or kickstarter that had ANY sort of packages like this prior to even 2015.>>>

etc. etc.    Seems like not only Chris Roberts "was able to do it" ;-)

Facts are not your strong point, eh ? ;-)

>>>> Also love how 12 days from 2019 you call it 2018. >>>
    As the Kickstarter ended in November 2012, that is also quite late in the year. Less than a month more than 6 years.

<>>> quotes from Roberts himself I dont know why you people always try to change it. >>>
    Because it IS NOT a quote from Roberts himself, but an assumption made by the author.
    Roberts speaks about work over the year (which fits well with the founding date of CIG in April 2012). Which some people interpret as exactly "ONE YEAR", which pushes the project start into 2011. Which is hard, because CIG DID NOT EVEN EXIST IN 2011 ! 

And if we just speak about the idea in the mind of Chris Roberts, then its more like 2003 after Freelancer, not 2011. But an idea is not the same as a formal project start.

>>> I dont know of any game that DOESNT have some sort of intoxicated or 'poisoned' effect in it.  >>>>

Please show me how my avatar in his captains cabin can become intoxicated in EVE Online. Especially in a way that is grafically visible e.g. by some screen shaking or bluring.
    I am waiting on the edge of my seat ......

>>> whatever theyre paying you. >>>
    Still zero. But you have been kicking out that line for years now ;-) That desperate ? :-D

Have fun

As always, here's the quote from Freyermuth, "Consequently, Chris spent over a year building the game's backstory and creating a prototype in CryEngine that could be presented at campaign launch. Using our own funds, we engaged a small group of writers, designers, and engineers to assist in this process. "

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-23-how-indie-film-financing-could-shape-the-future-of-games

The timing of the start of SC moves about depending on what's useful for the quoter.  Also note that much of what Freyermuth says about the early design work carefully avoids the fact that Crytek did most of it.  Guess that wouldn't have sounded nearly as clever, eh what?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Erillion said:
    >>> cayman islands >>

Read ... save taxes, make profit ....

I guess with BREXIT imminent, the Channel islands like Jersey, Guernsey and Herm are not as attractive as tax paradise as they once were.

Have fun
    When I see holding companies in the Cayman Islands mentioned, I immediately think 'Shenanigans'.   Sadly, that is common business practice for far too many these days.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

MaxBacon said:
    Yeah, I searched him up, Dan Offner is one of the top veteran entertainment lawyers around and investor.

Considering the changes on shares and his name popping up becomes likely he his who is behind dozens of millions invested in SC.

But I don't know why would his name directly join CIG as a director and not one of his companies.

Hopefully, he will eventually be able to take control of the whole shebang, and run it a bit better.  Somewhat amused though, as I long ago speculated on private investors.  The usual parties pooh-poohed that.....

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Such much for the narrative that CR thinks publishers are evil and all that’s wrong with the game industry. If he gets a publisher I will laugh so hard as the history rewriting and honour defending from the true believers would reach epic proportions
    I would already years ago said that SQ42 getting published would not be a bad idea, because it's this standalone SP campaign game, with points as its cast being big marketable points in the hands of a publisher to market the title they could go beyond anything CIG could afford as they are not doing that traditional type of marketing big publishers invest a lot on.

I also think SQ42 would be a fit for current-gen console gaming port, in terms of hardware the question consoles can't run it pretty much fades away and to me, it would sell pretty well if so, another point they could get a publisher to either market / handle a port of the title like some devs tend to do.

That in terms of SQ42, not SC.
    Publisher and console port. You must be trying to piss off the purists who bought into the idea of a game not being controlled by “the evil suits” and also a game that wouldn’t be tainted by the filthy consoles.

Pretty sure when someone posted that spoof of the supposedly leaked footage of SQ42 being a ps4 or xbone disc the knights here were very adamanant that it would never happen and it’s just more goon propaganda. 

Does that make you a goon now?
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Kefo said:
    Publisher and console port. You must be trying to piss off the purists who bought into the idea of a game not being controlled by “the evil suits” and also a game that wouldn’t be tainted by the filthy consoles.

Pretty sure when someone posted that spoof of the supposedly leaked footage of SQ42 being a ps4 or xbone disc the knights here were very adamanant that it would never happen and it’s just more goon propaganda. 

Cmon man you don't want to look that thick just to push that dumb negative agenda lol

This is not a PCMasteRace all consoles are bad issue, that's a really really dumb assumption.

If a game is made with the focus of pushing the capacities of PC hardware from the get go like Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are it doesn't matter what other platform they will end up later because the original version already focused on pushing the best hardware possible at it's time.

Wing Commander like Doom and most of the best selling PC games of their time ended up being ported to consoles, they got downscaled in quality and adapted to fit the hardware limitations of the consoles at the time.

The reality is that back in 2012 when Star Citizen was pitched most of the big budget productions were made with the consoles in mind first because that's were all the money was.

What people expect from Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is that they push tech and make use of the powerful top of the line PC hardware. And that's what CIG is doing, that's why they've got sponsorships promos from all the top hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Nvidia and generate a lot of interest in cutting edge tech, being it for motion capture, FOIP and so on. 

For clarification I don't think Star Citizen will ever end up on consoles but Squadron 42 most definitely. I'd say that both Sony and Microsoft would pay a good sum to have it as an exclusive when the next-gen console war arrives.
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah, I searched him up, Dan Offner is one of the top veteran entertainment lawyers around and investor.

Considering the changes on shares and his name popping up becomes likely he his who is behind dozens of millions invested in SC.

But I don't know why would his name directly join CIG as a director and not one of his companies.

Hopefully, he will eventually be able to take control of the whole shebang, and run it a bit better.  Somewhat amused though, as I long ago speculated on private investors.  The usual parties pooh-poohed that.....
    How or why would an investment lawyer "be able to take control of the whole shebang, and run it a bit better" lol?

You see any other company or project manager doing a better job than CIG and Chris Roberts at making games like Star Citizen or Squadron 42?

Were are they? It's been 6 years since it was announced back in 2012 and proven to have a market!

So where are the StarCitizen/Squadron42 wannabes capitalizing on the space hype?

I'll tell you, still in development, because they are hard as $hit to do!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:

Cmon man you don't want to look that thick just to push that dumb negative agenda lol

This is not a PCMasteRace all consoles are bad issue, that's a really really dumb assumption.

If a game is made with the focus of pushing the capacities of PC hardware from the get go like Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are it doesn't matter what other platform they will end up later because the original version already focused on pushing the best hardware possible at it's time.

Wing Commander like Doom and most of the best selling PC games of their time ended up being ported to consoles, they got downscaled in quality and adapted to fit the hardware limitations of the consoles at the time.

The reality is that back in 2012 when Star Citizen was pitched most of the big budget productions were made with the consoles in mind first because that's were all the money was.

What people expect from Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is that they push tech and make use of the powerful top of the line PC hardware. And that's what CIG is doing, that's why they've got sponsorships promos from all the top hardware manufacturers like Intel, AMD, Nvidia and generate a lot of interest in cutting edge tech, being it for motion capture, FOIP and so on. 

For clarification I don't think Star Citizen will ever end up on consoles but Squadron 42 most definitely. I'd say that both Sony and Microsoft would pay a good sum to have it as an exclusive when the next-gen console war arrives.
    MaxBacon said:

How or why would an investment lawyer "be able to take control of the whole shebang, and run it a bit better" lol?

You see any other company or project manager doing a better job than CIG and Chris Roberts at making games like Star Citizen or Squadron 42?

Were are they? It's been 6 years since it was announced back in 2012 and proven to have a market!

So where are the StarCitizen/Squadron42 wannabes capitalizing on the space hype?

I'll tell you, still in development, because they are hard as $hit to do!
    Good vacation I hope....

When the game was announced 90% + of PC gamers didnt have machines that could run it. Hell 6 or 7 years however you want to define it more than half the people still dont own a machine capable of running it.

So yeah 'pushing the capabilities' is an understatement.

The engine is still shit despite all the claims they redid it and rebuilt it and have Amazons version integrated as well. So it really doesnt matter WHAT you have its going to be hit or miss on performance. You have had a lot of professional streamers with top of the line machines along with the regular paid streamers who had their machines built specifically to play SC test bed and you see just how bad it is. While the pros know what and where to go to avoid problem spots the new crop of guys getting paid to stream it for a week or so didnt and all the bugs and glitches were there in all their glory.

edited December 2018
    Vacations were wondefull, just in time for the focused 3.4 Evocati testing B)

Yeah I don't think you ever tried the game to say how well it runs lol

My pc rig is from 2013 with a measly i5 and a gtx 660 2GB and I run the game well enough to test everything without problems. I play on low settings and 900p though.

The game is indeed getting optimized as it's being made but it's also adding new game systems and increasing it's tax on the cpu and gpu so expecting it to be a game for top of the line systems is something backers knew already since it's a game being made by Chris Roberts and his games were always known to push tech.

Yeah I'm loving that new "all streamers are being paid by CIG" conspiracy lol, much better than the fake moon landing one tbh :D
    ErillionWalkinGlenn
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Well i don't personally know Chris or his brother,i don't get the feeling any of them are smart at hiring good employees or good at running the business or even good at designing and making games.

What i do know for fact is that if there were not so many whales spending FOOLISHLY on virtual ships,this ship would have sunk long ago.
    Honest quality developers try to make ends meat by selling a PRODUCT a FULL product,CIG sells ships and sold a LOT of ships before a single person could even set one foot in the game.
    It is really sad to see this crooked dealer making so much money when there are a lot of hard working developers just scraping by and having to earn their income with a viable product.

I mean just look at the Fallout debacle,guess what Fallout has a LOT more game than what CIG was selling,so yeah think about it.Bethesda is not taking all the heat when there are MANY more scummmy publishers and developers out there.
    I am one of those whales and the fact of the matter is there is enough of us whales that want this game to be completed and are completely satisfied with the progress to continue to fund the project until completion. I am completely aware of the failures and pitfalls CIG has seen, this is natural of any business. The reality is this is a great game already, aside some bugs, me and the friends I play with enjoy a couple hours every evening running around together and that is more than I can say for most games on the market that have seen similar expenses, even though their project is finished. Currently I am a Space Marshall and before all is said and done I will be a Wing Commander.

Star Citizen is a game where a large number of people with expendable incomes want to see completed, we impact the progress and development, and we are pushing the project forward to completion. So keep wasting your breath and when it is complete I will see you in the verse and welcome you to come enjoy the game we created for you.

How do you think a company builds a game with this level of quality and tech without the backing of a major publisher or big investors to fund the development? Through the sales of silly jpeg ships to foolish people like myself, I challenge everyone with any negative inclination towards CIG and this game to not spend a dime on the game till it's released, when it is and you are like OMFG this is amazing I will be more than happy with your $60 purchase of the base game.
    BabuinixNyteWytchErillion
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "continue fund"very keywords.

The whole idea of crowd funding is to fund the game and not to build an enormous bank account.

He has well over 100 million,that is already a DONE DEAL,that is enough money to fund the game.
    What is it 150 million,that is enough to fund his operation for the next 20+ years,so CIG should NOT be asking for anymore money from players or people until the game is considered finished and released.
    Crowd funding is NOT suppose to be a tool to EXPLOIT consumers,it is NOT suppose to be a tool to run a rampant cash shop on an unfinished product.

So don't tell me you are continuing to fund the game,it is ALREADY funded,everything now is just exploiting foolish people.

SlyLoK

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:

The whole idea of crowd funding is to fund the game and not to build an enormous bank account.

He has well over 100 million,that is already a DONE DEAL,that is enough money to fund the game.
    What is it 150 million,that is enough to fund his operation for the next 20+ years,so CIG should NOT be asking for anymore money from players or people until the game is considered finished and released.
    Crowd funding is NOT suppose to be a tool to EXPLOIT consumers,it is NOT suppose to be a tool to run a rampant cash shop on an unfinished product.

So don't tell me you are continuing to fund the game,it is ALREADY funded,everything now is just exploiting foolish people.

They are not asking for anything, they have stuff up for sale that I am more than willing to spend my money on to make this game what I, and I will reiterate I, want it to be. The point most of you are missing is this game and the type of funding is for me not you, if you don't believe in what they are trying to accomplish and how it is currently being funded then go play something else and wait. This is MY game and I will work with CIG continuously with my resources to make it happen. When you realize you are a non-factor in this process is the day you will be less stressed about this and realize how ridiculous you and the rest of the naysayers have been because of the simple fact that this game will be funded and created no matter the cost. Myself and tens of thousands of others like minded have the hundreds of millions to make whatever WE want happen. This isn't just the Roberts dream and vision, this is mine.
    bcbullyErillionBabuinix
    edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:
    What is it 150 million,that is enough to fund his operation for the next 20+ years
    Do you really believe that?

Just checking! :D
    Love the random forum 'whales'....

first off to get the type of money some of these people are throwing at this takes a little bit of business savvy or at least economical common sense. NONE of which would be fulfilled putting money into this project. At best its an outright gamble at worst its throwing money into a failed business venture, where the person throwing money at it doesnt get actual ROI but ''entertainment". So forgive me if I dont believe most of the comments from people who are claiming to spend 5 or even 6 figures on some pipe dream, especially at this stage.

Now of course some of them might be crypto millionaires who struck it rich, but even then they would have also had enough brains to sell when the prices were 'right' which doesnt jive with them still being willing to back a project thats shown little ability to keep a schedule. Meaning they would have also known when the time was 'right' to get out of SC. Or by contrast if theyre still willing to back SC they would have been more than willing to hang on (too long) to those cryptos (looking for a miracle rally) even as they fell to ashes all around them.

Or I guess there are other options ...lottery winners, trust fund babies, thieves. That are STILL willing to throw tens of thousands at something that may or may not ever exist no matter how much money they throw at it.

No, people with the ability to accumulate that much money have more common sense, business acumen and sheer 'cut throatedness' to put that type of money into something with so little return. But obvious some people are (overspending) to buy packages. But many of them sold out on the grey market years ago (because they did have all those things and knew when the getting was good).

But them again human stupidity surprises me sometimes and I (and most critics) cant understand how this thing (allegedly) still continues to fleece the money it does from people month after month. But hey 200+K people were sitting around for hours (and almost an hour after a missed launch time) to watch a bunch of guys getting paid by developers to play games on camera to watch a game anyone with ANY braincells should have known wasnt going to release when they said it would. so you know...
    edited December 2018

seems like Rodarin has a hard time understanding the "you are a non-factor in this process" part of your post. He is just making assumptions were people get their money and what they can or cannot do with it. Seems like he also has a hard time understanding that there are hundredthousands out there that obviously do not heed his sagacious advice and - despite that advice - participate in that crowdfunding project. Willingly and gladly.

>>>
    This isn't just the Roberts dream and vision, this is mine.
    >>>
    I like that one :-) Same here.

Have fun

Erillion said:

seems like Rodarin has a hard time understanding the "you are a non-factor in this process" part of your post. He is just making assumptions were people get their money and what they can or cannot do with it. Seems like he also has a hard time understanding that there are hundredthousands out there that obviously do not heed his sagacious advice and - despite that advice - participate in that crowdfunding project. Willingly and gladly.

Have fun
    No, and I am no SJW or a guy that believes everything they read or see.

But I am pretty well off even by American terms, and by global terms I am elite. I still dont have that type of money. And if you do believe the 'news' reports about how people are living in their cars or on the street in the state most progressive socialist think is a beacon (California) or how so many people are so destitute and desperate they WALK thousands of miles to sit in a shit hole city with one of the worst murder rates anywhere (Tijuana).

And of course this time of year when poverty and charity go hand in hand and youre bombarded with commercials to ask you to give even (usually pocket change) to actually 'save' another human life. It boggles the mind that people would throw the types of money (some guys actually brag about) for a fucking video game. Let alone something that isnt even a game yet and is still (despite all the hyperbole) a buggy tech demo mess.

It is also amazing the the actual SJW and shame advocates havent latched onto this thing as some sort of cause to shame anyone who actually has supported. Bringing out their ethnic dirty faced children as pawns to cry how could you spend money on jpegs when you could have 'literally' raised this 6 year old child to adulthood on that amount.

Again thats not me, but they would probably actually have a point in that case. But I know saving another human live certainly isnt as meaningful as fulfilling Chris Roberts dream. And before people start with how 'corrupt' charities are just stop. Because there are years of videos and obvious shit that shows complete mismanagement and waste of funds by these clowns. Not even the most ardent white knights can defend their waste. They have in fact probably wasted enough money to have built an entire town for that migrant caravan sitting in Tijuana to live in quite comfortably.

Perspective is a horrible thing sometimes especially when the ones who love to wrap themselves in a flag of 'humanity' are generally the most obvious hypocrites.

But yeah in before every whale starts claiming they donate more to charity than to chris roberts LMAO
    >>>
    But yeah in before every whale starts claiming they donate more to charity than to chris roberts >>>

Well, i am no whale but as i said in the past i spend about three times more on charity than i spend on video games. 

That includes Menschen für Menschen, Licht für die Welt, Medicine sans frontieres (Doctors without Borders), Care, SOS Kinderdorf, Nachbar in Not, Red Cross, Caritas etc.

That may be hard for you to understand.

Have fun

Erillion said:
    >>>
    But yeah in before every whale starts claiming they donate more to charity than to chris roberts >>>

Well, i am no whale but as i said in the past i spend about three times more on charity than i spend on video games. 

That includes Menschen für Menschen, Licht für die Welt, Medicine sans frontieres (Doctors without Borders), Care, SOS Kinderdorf, Nachbar in Not, Red Cross, Caritas etc.

That may be hard for you to understand.

Have fun

three times zero is still zero... >:)
    rodarin said:
    three times zero is still zero... >:)
    If that is what you want to believe  * sigh*

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    LazyDazed said:
    Wizardry said:

They are not asking for anything, they have stuff up for sale that I am more than willing to spend my money on to make this game what I, and I will reiterate I, want it to be. The point most of you are missing is this game and the type of funding is for me not you, if you don't believe in what they are trying to accomplish and how it is currently being funded then go play something else and wait. This is MY game and I will work with CIG continuously with my resources to make it happen. When you realize you are a non-factor in this process is the day you will be less stressed about this and realize how ridiculous you and the rest of the naysayers have been because of the simple fact that this game will be funded and created no matter the cost. Myself and tens of thousands of others like minded have the hundreds of millions to make whatever WE want happen. This isn't just the Roberts dream and vision, this is mine.
    It’s cute you think that because you put money into this project you have a say on how it goes. Chris Roberts will do what he wants regardless if it pisses off backers or not because he knows you will continue to throw money at him without any questions asked.

It will be interesting to see how you react if CR changes this game to something you don’t like and if you continue to throw money at him, silently try to get it back or the best option where you blow up to epic levels because you think you have a say in the game direction.
    Seems like you missed the point @Kefo , again.

@LazyDazed just said that the game Chris Roberts is building is what he wants to play. So whatever Chris Roberts decides its good by him. 

If we were in the early years of the project I would call this a leap of faith based on past acollades (wing commander, privater, freelancer).

But now, with everything that's already available to play in Star Citizen and what was shown from Squadron42 there's no doubt that the continuous support comes from the reinforced trust earned throughout the continuous evolution and direction Star Citizen and Squadron42 have taken.

>>> without any questions asked >>>

It is also a misconception amongst some people that no questions have been asked.

To the contrary. Thousands of questions (tenthousands ?) have been asked. AND answered by the CIG/Foundry team - some sooner, some later. In a constructive way. On the official forums. On chat channels. On playtester channels. In Q&A sessions. In the "Jumppoint" magazine articles. etc.

Have fun
    Dont forget all the live interaction with the dev's in the multiple events throught the year.

Erillion
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Still waiting for the beta.
    Jamar870 said:
    Still waiting for the beta.
    Me too.

Have fun (with Alpha while you wait)