Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A solution to Playing Killing (PK'ing)

xcyper33xcyper33 Member UncommonPosts: 23
The good people of Aria should form protection militia groups. Companies of brave men and women that are hired to protect innocent resource gatherers as they forage for vital materials that boost the economy. Pay can be hourly or a cut on the produce generated on a run. I think entire guilds could be formed for this specific purpose and the most effective groups could make a lot of money which may go into the crafting of new equipment for its militiamen and resources for its blacksmiths to keep quality armor distributed around the guild. 

This idea both lessens the impact of PKers while also leaving the community to solve the problems of the world and not the developers. While I understand PKing is perverse and offensive, maybe this is the first test on this game's community to come together and make real, long term solutions by amongst ourselves. 
Mercenary/Protection guilds.
  1. Would this be a good idea?18 votes
    1. Yes
      38.89%
    2. No
      61.11%
Gdemamicraftseekerkitarad[Deleted User]sacredcow4alkarionlog

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Not to nitpick but pking is short for "player killing" just as pker is short for player killer.
    pappacubeBeezerbeez

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited December 2018
    PK = Player Killer; People who blindly killed anyone.
    PKK = Player Killer Killer; These types actively hunted the "PK's".

Great times back in my early days of UO. :)
    KyutaSyukocraftseeker[Deleted User]alkarionlog

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited December 2018
    Great idea. A shame you had to come up with it for this game. Systems should be in place already whenever there is world or ffa pvp in a game.

something as simple as bounty hunting rewards, along with some type of time out punishment ie. jail. 

Why systems like this are not in EVERY mmorpg with open pvp is hard for me to understand.

/hardcorePvPr

Gdemamicraftseeker[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Open a vote for a server for non-pvp. Just gather craft and build a house like minecraft.
    craftseekerkjempffOctagon7711delete5230ultimateduck
  • xcyper33xcyper33 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Open a vote for a server for non-pvp. Just gather craft and build a house like minecraft.
    But why not just play Minecraft if you want something like that? Indivisually, Minecraft does THAT much better than this game. Take away all of the other factors and its an inferior version of what Minecraft and Terarria does better. PVP, PK all of that is part of the experience. The frustration, the immersion. PKers are the in-game version of bandits from real life. How did we figure out how to migitate the damage bandits did back in our past? By forming guilds formed to protect the kings' subjects (like Knights if you will)

craftseekerultimateduck
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    You forgot the factor that if you unite, they will unite too.
    Kylerancraftseekerdelete5230
  • xcyper33xcyper33 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    You forgot the factor that if you unite, they will unite too.
    Perhaps, but PKing only makes enemies, not allies. When you actively cause grief and harm, no one will be an ally besides those who wish to grief with you. Meanwhile all of those lowbies you kill while they're simply trying to make a living will only help the Militiamen's cause.
    Gdemamicraftseeker
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    1: Asking a group of players to watch someone else mine is ridiculous and boring.  The PKs just send a blue (or ghost, even) into the area and if the miners are protected they go hunt elsewhere.  While that leaves the miner protected, the PKs are out having fun while a bunch of 'protectors' stand around bored all night.

2: There is no way a single miner or even a group of miners are going to rake in enough cash (or ore) to make 'protecting' financially viable.  The help is need in the noob areas and noobs aren't going to be making much money.

3: You underestimate the ability of PKs to form alliances with other PKs - and even large lawful guilds. (often, you've the same players on both sides of the fence).  Your theories of justice work in a world where  each person has one body and one life, not so well in worlds where people may have dozens of characters spread across multiple accounts.

What has to happen is that people have to read the box before they buy the game.  If the ruleset is unappealing, play something else.

d_20craftseekerdelete5230
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I think the players that do not want to deal with the game, as the the game is, ought to leave.

Problem solved.
    kitaradd_20NevereverlandcraftseekerKyleranultimateduck
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Ungood said:
    I think the players that do not want to deal with the game, as the the game is, ought to leave.

Problem solved.
    The only problem there is if the devs misjudged the number of folks who would play their niche game.  Then not enough money to survive, and the game folds.  Ooops....
    d_20bcbullycraftseekerdelete5230SlyLoK

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ungood said:

Problem solved.
     Totally agree.  I won't be playing.
    d_20craftseekerUngooddelete5230SlyLoKdanwest58
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Also, if the solution was easy to do, everyone would be doing it.....
    craftseeker

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited December 2018
    Your feeble attempts to stop me will not work. I must kill you over and over to satisfy my thirst for killing.
    NevereverlandKyleranWargfootYVdelete5230

• WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Ungood said:

Problem solved.
    The only problem there is if the devs misjudged the number of folks who would play their niche game.  Then not enough money to survive, and the game folds.  Ooops....
    ...and then the PKs blame the developers for not doing PvP right even when the developers keep the ruleset exactly as the PKs say it must be in order to succeed.

ME: Hey, remember that game..er, Legends of something that folded back in 2019?  Wasn't that open world PvP with full loot?  Why do you want another one of those?

PK: PvP in that game was broken.  People love that kind of game but they just messed up the PvP.

d_20KyleranUngoodOctagon7711SlyLoKultimateduck
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    This is a reactive solution where a proactive solution is needed. In the history of UO I have never seen an effective player driven solution. Sad to say, but the current state of PvP in loot on death sandbox games is fundamentally flawed and it's past time to come to terms with the fact that a player driven solution is not the answer. If it WAS... it would have happened in the last 2 decades.
    KylerancraftseekerUngooddelete5230
     I've been here a while...
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I haven't played aria yet due to school but back in the UO days the solution to this problem was simply skill, and not game lvling skills lol. One lone well prepared player that understood all the game mechanics was quit capable of taking out 5 pks and escaping twice that number with out help. A large milita force sounds good but you have to think of pk's as gorilla fighters. They are going to attack soft targets of opportunity.They are usually pking for the grief or profit not conflict usually.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ungood said:

Problem solved.
    It’s damn near 2019 dude pve is the smallest niche across all genres. Thus your problem bud.
    Aelious
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    You want a solution?
    You can't handle a solution!

But since you asked.
    Get killed by another player in the open world, receive a hundred gold, or whatever the currency is.
    Kill a player in the open world? Receive a stacking debuff that costs you half a level, that you can only remove by paying a hundred gold to a city based NPC.

PKing will plummet to almost nil, but you will get idiots hopping around being extremely annoying, hoping that you will kill them!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    bcbully said:
    Ungood said:

Problem solved.
    It’s damn near 2019 dude pve is the smallest niche across all genres. Thus your problem bud.
    All genres?  Apparently, after all this time, you still don't understand how PvP is viewed by the MMO crowd.
    KylerancraftseekerVyntUngoodkjempffScotdelete5230ultimateduckmmoloudanwest58and 2 others.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    For almost every player and developer attempt to control Pking evil bastards have found ingenious ways to circumvent such systems.
    craftseekerOctagon7711delete5230mmolou

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Kyleran said:
    For almost every player and developer attempt to control Pking evil bastards have found ingenious ways to circumvent such systems.
    Not the one where players can turn off PvP.
    Aeolyn
    xcyper33 said:
    But why not just play Minecraft if you want something like that? Indivisually, Minecraft does THAT much better than this game. Take away all of the other factors and its an inferior version of what Minecraft and Terarria does better. PVP, PK all of that is part of the experience. The frustration, the immersion. PKers are the in-game version of bandits from real life. How did we figure out how to migitate the damage bandits did back in our past? By forming guilds formed to protect the kings' subjects (like Knights if you will)

The NOOB comic strip had several priceless pieces on the hilarity of trying to raise a player "defense force", here is one.

http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/342/
    craftseeker

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood said:

Problem solved.
    ...and then the PKs blame the developers for not doing PvP right even when the developers keep the ruleset exactly as the PKs say it must be in order to succeed.

ME: Hey, remember that game..er, Legends of something that folded back in 2019?  Wasn't that open world PvP with full loot?  Why do you want another one of those?

PK: PvP in that game was broken.  People love that kind of game but they just messed up the PvP.

While this is 100% true... any developer dumb enough to believe them deserves to have their game die before their eyes, trampled to death, and lit on fire, leaving them in irreparable debt.. and also consider a carrier change... as game development is obviously not for them.
    craftseeker
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

Problem solved.
    That is the nature of the game they are playing.

So to them I say.

I think that the Devs that do not want to deal with the game, as the game is, ought to leave.

No one said making games was easy, that is the risk they take, and if they can't handle it, or are bad at it, then like any player who can't handle the game they are playing, or is bad at the game they are playing, it's time for them to look for something different to do with their life and time.

Something they are good at and enjoy.. maybe.

edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Not the one where players can turn off PvP.
    Then you've never been grief trained on solely PVE server, PVPer's are masters at finding a way.....
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]Aeolyn