Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Announces Lifetime All Access Membership for $299.99 - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,084
    edited December 2018

DMKano said:

flizzer said:

I bought a lifetime sub for LOTRO about a decade ago at this point and never regretted.  

You bought a lifetime sub to an actual quality product though - not an apples to apples comparison.

Indeed, but if I understand it correctly, you gain the access to at least THREE products here. Sure, it's not quality, but quantity isn't to be trifled with. Just ask Arcturus about that incident with some bugs.

Regardless, any sale on Mercs in EQ2? Always wanted to experience that one fully and I'm too asocial to rely on others. :)
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,042
    Wauww

• AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I've never been more sure of Daybreak imminent demise.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,966

Sincrely,
    Daybreak
    OG_Zorvan
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    not sure about this one. sounds like a blizzard trick where people bought that yearly boost and now hots is on maintenance mode. I do not trust this at all.
  • aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 80
    A lifetime, all-access pass! Limited supply! Get them before we're gone!

THEY'RE! I meant "get them before THEY'RE gone"! Alexa, don't post that first version, OK?
    OG_ZorvanlaseritsschruppGremeTacticalZombehceh430
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    not sure about this one. sounds like a blizzard trick where people bought that yearly boost and now hots is on maintenance mode. I do not trust this at all.
    Worst part is that you still have to pay for the expansions to 15 yr old games every time they release one.  They layoff 30% of staff and now a hail mary for one of the worst deals I have ever seen to increase some revenue screams of desperation.  

Daybreaks days are numbered in my opinion.  I absolutely think someone will buy the rights for the 2 EQ games though as they can sit in maintenance mode for another 10 years and the core base will still pay to play them.
    sneakerz007
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    Worst part is that you still have to pay for the expansions to 15 yr old games every time they release one.  They layoff 30% of staff and now a hail mary for one of the worst deals I have ever seen to increase some revenue screams of desperation.  

Daybreaks days are numbered in my opinion.  I absolutely think someone will buy the rights for the 2 EQ games though as they can sit in maintenance mode for another 10 years and the core base will still pay to play them.
    Maybe Smedley csn get Amazon to pick up the EQ rights. :smiley:
    parrotpholkJeroKanesneakerz007Tezcatlapocca

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,483
    300$ for a 'life-time' membership just sounds like they are trying to sell soon to me.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    For a company that's been trying to sell itself for the last year and then found the dumb mobile ip deal they did has made no one even vaguely interested in them at all, this deal stinks to high heaven and is a last hurrah of a dodgy company who was so inept they couldn't even do dodgy properly.

OG_Zorvan said:

Maybe Smedley csn get Amazon to pick up the EQ rights. :smiley:
    I could see that almost happening and I would bet they could get them relatively cheap, Amazon make EQ3 now that it owns the IP and with the financial backing could be a good investment.

I think if it was not for the SWG NGE disaster history may have been kinder to Smedley.   Maybe.......
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,232
    If they did this maybe a year ago, out of the blue, I may actually have considered it, but after the layoffs...  nah.  Kind of sad too, because I don't *want* the other developers to lose their jobs at the company, but, I can't in good conscience support a "sinking ship".  
    sschrupp

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,656
    Once Microsoft, Sony, Amazon, and other major players start offering their streaming services with an annual game pass, these publishers are screwed.

It seems like a Hail Mary cash grab to me, but these guys aren't Doug Flutie or Roger Staubach.
    maskedweaselparrotpholkMadFrenchieJeffSpicoli
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,614
    flizzer said:
     I bought a lifetime sub for LOTRO about a decade ago at this point and never regretted.  

Those imo were a driving factor in the game going f2p. So many players weren't paying a sub and after a few years that started to hurt.
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 95
    This deal reminds me of that old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". I know that despite me seeing this as a last ditch cash grab, there will be others out there who will waste their money on this.

If I was playing one of the games in the Daybreak stable, I would be really concerned about this company, as this type of deal looks ominous for the company as a whole. To be honest things where going downhill when it was SOE and getting bought over just expedited their fall from grace. Sony where very shrewd to sell off that division before the proverbial hit the fan.
    JeffSpicoli
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,300
    Who is Pantheons distributor ? ...
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    #BoycottChina
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,837
    I bought LTA for STO when it first came out and it's still worth it to me.  Didn't go for SOEs all access when they had it as most of the games I didn't play.  Daybreak has LTA with caveats which sends up red flags, no thank you.  Sounds like if they do have new games coming out they want them to be separate from the deal in advance.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,256
    I bought LTA for STO when it first came out and it's still worth it to me.  Didn't go for SOEs all access when they had it as most of the games I didn't play.  Daybreak has LTA with caveats which sends up red flags, no thank you.  Sounds like if they do have new games coming out they want them to be separate from the deal in advance.
    I want to say the SOE all access had the same wording / limitations, so they could add or pull games whenever (although I don't think they ever changed it). 

I think it's a weird choice, but they do have EQ 1 and 2, which to some might make it worth it. To me I just don't know how much longer they will last under this company. 
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    **Only 4,000 Lifetime All Access Memberships are available. Offer may end before December 31, 2018.
    sneakerz007

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,822
    Gavyne said:
    **Only 4,000 Lifetime All Access Memberships are available. Offer may end before December 31, 2018.
    ONLY? Thats like their entire player base combined....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    sneakerz007
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,268
    A lifetime access?   Whose?  Mine or Daybreaks?

sneakerz007

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,408
    DMKano said:
    flizzer said:

You bought a lifetime sub to an actual quality product though - not an apples to apples comparison.

When I bought the sub it was a difficult decision to make.  Many thought the game would't last and would be gone soon.  

I agree I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub from Daybreak games, but I don't think all lifetime subs are a bad thing. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,435
    Can someone please tell me WHY this outfit or guy bought this studio in the first place?
    I am usually not at a loss for words,i have been around,i can also usually figure out the angle but in this case just nothing makes sense.
    SOE is a large entity,if they are or were willing to sell this off,you know it was done and finished.Their sinking ship started way way back when Smedley started the whole cash shop idea and then took on VG and tried the one access ordeal.Then games started to close down,the kids game,the TCG,Vanguard,then they tried convincing people to buy into Landmark.Then they tried another angle,let's sell cash shop and pretend we are doing something for the game by allowing them to SHARE in the profits of CS items.

So then the image of EQ3,however anyone paying attention even the smallest bit would have noticed NOTHING was happening from stream to stream.I think we saw like 3/4/5 streams in a row showing us 1-2 new tile sets each week....sigh.
    So this ship was in REAL bad shape,so WHY on earth would this Russian dude buy it?

Then fast forward,we see Smedley show up on Twitter and claim he is mad at the layoffs.Well what do you think happened the first day of the sale?>>>LAYOFFS.Smedley could have VERY easily arranged to have his employees safeguard from layoffs but nope,he was looking out for his own pockets.

This ship was sunk many years ago and unless you have a lot of new wood,some hammer and nails,you are not fixing this ship.DEFINITELY some upstart nobody is not going to fix what SOE could fix.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Gavyne said:
    If there is 4k suckers out there then that would be a quick 1.2 million cash infusion for basically nothing.  If there is that many folks that buy it then I would bet they extend the offer due to "overwhelming" demand.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,512
    With the way this company seems to be, I'm willing to bet that DBG knew those new hires were going to be fired a few months later before they even recruited them.

I'm also willing to be those 70 (or however many people that just got canned) weren't informed that their job was just going to be a temporary position when they started.

I'm further willing to bet, they are already one foot out the door with one hand on the light switch, and the other held out to take people's money.  Though, apparently, everyone feels this way.

That's about how I view the quality of the company.