Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Announces Lifetime All Access Membership for $299.99 - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    300$ for a 'life-time' membership just sounds like they are trying to sell soon to me.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    For a company that's been trying to sell itself for the last year and then found the dumb mobile ip deal they did has made no one even vaguely interested in them at all, this deal stinks to high heaven and is a last hurrah of a dodgy company who was so inept they couldn't even do dodgy properly.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    If they did this maybe a year ago, out of the blue, I may actually have considered it, but after the layoffs...  nah.  Kind of sad too, because I don't *want* the other developers to lose their jobs at the company, but, I can't in good conscience support a "sinking ship".  
    sschrupp

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    flizzer said:
     I bought a lifetime sub for LOTRO about a decade ago at this point and never regretted.  

Those imo were a driving factor in the game going f2p. So many players weren't paying a sub and after a few years that started to hurt.
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    This deal reminds me of that old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". I know that despite me seeing this as a last ditch cash grab, there will be others out there who will waste their money on this.

If I was playing one of the games in the Daybreak stable, I would be really concerned about this company, as this type of deal looks ominous for the company as a whole. To be honest things where going downhill when it was SOE and getting bought over just expedited their fall from grace. Sony where very shrewd to sell off that division before the proverbial hit the fan.
    JeffSpicoli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I bought LTA for STO when it first came out and it's still worth it to me.  Didn't go for SOEs all access when they had it as most of the games I didn't play.  Daybreak has LTA with caveats which sends up red flags, no thank you.  Sounds like if they do have new games coming out they want them to be separate from the deal in advance.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I bought LTA for STO when it first came out and it's still worth it to me.  Didn't go for SOEs all access when they had it as most of the games I didn't play.  Daybreak has LTA with caveats which sends up red flags, no thank you.  Sounds like if they do have new games coming out they want them to be separate from the deal in advance.
    I want to say the SOE all access had the same wording / limitations, so they could add or pull games whenever (although I don't think they ever changed it). 

I think it's a weird choice, but they do have EQ 1 and 2, which to some might make it worth it. To me I just don't know how much longer they will last under this company. 
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    **Only 4,000 Lifetime All Access Memberships are available. Offer may end before December 31, 2018.
    sneakerz007

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gavyne said:
    **Only 4,000 Lifetime All Access Memberships are available. Offer may end before December 31, 2018.
    ONLY? Thats like their entire player base combined....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    sneakerz007
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A lifetime access?   Whose?  Mine or Daybreaks?

sneakerz007

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    DMKano said:
    flizzer said:
     I bought a lifetime sub for LOTRO about a decade ago at this point and never regretted.  

You bought a lifetime sub to an actual quality product though - not an apples to apples comparison.

When I bought the sub it was a difficult decision to make.  Many thought the game would't last and would be gone soon.  

I agree I wouldn't buy a lifetime sub from Daybreak games, but I don't think all lifetime subs are a bad thing. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Can someone please tell me WHY this outfit or guy bought this studio in the first place?
    I am usually not at a loss for words,i have been around,i can also usually figure out the angle but in this case just nothing makes sense.
    SOE is a large entity,if they are or were willing to sell this off,you know it was done and finished.Their sinking ship started way way back when Smedley started the whole cash shop idea and then took on VG and tried the one access ordeal.Then games started to close down,the kids game,the TCG,Vanguard,then they tried convincing people to buy into Landmark.Then they tried another angle,let's sell cash shop and pretend we are doing something for the game by allowing them to SHARE in the profits of CS items.

So then the image of EQ3,however anyone paying attention even the smallest bit would have noticed NOTHING was happening from stream to stream.I think we saw like 3/4/5 streams in a row showing us 1-2 new tile sets each week....sigh.
    So this ship was in REAL bad shape,so WHY on earth would this Russian dude buy it?

Then fast forward,we see Smedley show up on Twitter and claim he is mad at the layoffs.Well what do you think happened the first day of the sale?>>>LAYOFFS.Smedley could have VERY easily arranged to have his employees safeguard from layoffs but nope,he was looking out for his own pockets.

This ship was sunk many years ago and unless you have a lot of new wood,some hammer and nails,you are not fixing this ship.DEFINITELY some upstart nobody is not going to fix what SOE could fix.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    With the way this company seems to be, I'm willing to bet that DBG knew those new hires were going to be fired a few months later before they even recruited them.

I'm also willing to be those 70 (or however many people that just got canned) weren't informed that their job was just going to be a temporary position when they started.

I'm further willing to bet, they are already one foot out the door with one hand on the light switch, and the other held out to take people's money.  Though, apparently, everyone feels this way.

That's about how I view the quality of the company.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    why pay that if daybreak shuts down in a year... that's not a good deal.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    From their twitter:  "2000 of our Lifetime All Access Memberships have sold, and 2000 remain. Get yours before they're gone"

I'm not one of those that'll buy the lifetime from Daybreak.  But I do know EQ playerbase have deep pockets.  I wouldn't doubt they'll sell 4000.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I collect lifetime subs +1 weeee
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

JeroKane said:

Hahahaha..... ok. I didn't see that one coming.

One last muscle spasm by Daybreak trying to cash in? 

The situation they are in right now..... I would think twice buying any of these packages.

And as always. Make sure you read the small letters in the bottom:

Daybreak does not ensure continuous or error-free access, use or availability of any game content, feature, gameplay, or server and may change, modify, disable, suspend or remove any such content, feature, gameplay or server at its sole discretion.

First thing I thought too.
    "Lifetime" might just be a year or two at this rate. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Arterius said:
    Tokken said:
    why pay that if daybreak shuts down in a year... that's not a good deal.
    are they closing in a year?
    Hopefully not, but at the moment i wouldn't even take a bet on them lasting beyond the end of 'this' year. Things are bad, how bad is a very real question. :/
    Mendel