Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too late to start Ultima Online?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I tried a thread like this a while back, and it went nowhere.  IDK, maybe the game is totally dead.  Anyway:

I never played UO. Way back, I went the EQ route instead. For someone who has never played before, is there any point in trying it now? Is it still in very active development with a large player base? Or is it just too dated at this point?

Thanks!

Comments

• SkellybonesSkellybones Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I tried a thread like this a while back, and it went nowhere.  IDK, maybe the game is totally dead.  Anyway:

I never played UO. Way back, I went the EQ route instead. For someone who has never played before, is there any point in trying it now? Is it still in very active development with a large player base? Or is it just too dated at this point?

Thanks!

Have you heard of Legends of Aria? its a modern mmo that just came out and its a spiritual successor to UO
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Thanks!

Have you heard of Legends of Aria? its a modern mmo that just came out and its a spiritual successor to UO
    Yeah, I bought access a while back!  I just can't get into early access games, though, even if they're persistent.  I would rather wait till full release.
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    I tried it for a bit as a player who had never played it.  There are aspects to it that are wonderful and I can certainly see new players back in the day falling head over heals for it.  There are 2 things though that it made it difficult for me to continue:

1.  Lag, or better described as lack of reaction time.  It just seemed when I pressed a button while fighting that the response should be a bit better.. or when you are walking around.  I don't know if it was a deal breaker for me and I respect how old the game is.. but that was kind of odd.

2.  Dropping items/loot on death, this was a deal breaker for me.  I know some people want this type of game play but I just don't understand it.  The act of me being dead and having to walk back to where I was is enough for me not want to die, losing my stuff just isn't a fun mechanic to me.  I know this is a core mechanic to the game but it is what it is.  I wont play games like this because in my mind I equate everything I do to time.. that is my currency.  So if a game mechanic is built in that takes away time that I have put into the game, then I'm not interested in the game. 
  • CallDrDaleyCallDrDaley Member CommonPosts: 1
    Dropping items/loot on death, this was a deal breaker for me.
    I distinctly remember crying as a kid because I attacked a rat in town that someone had tamed and the guards popped up and killed me and I lost everything that I had spent weeks working towards. I don’t think that stopped me from playing but it was kind of a cruel lesson in being careful and paying attention to what you’re doing. Good times.

Otherwise it was a fun and immersive game that was way ahead of its time. I still look for games that could even come close to the mechanics that were offered so long ago.
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited December 2018
    Well UO is the mother of all MMORPG out there today. And sure I played it  back in the 90s but I think its better to try go for a newer version of the game. One game people say is "UO 2" is Legends of Aria. Its right now in Early Access and have a long journey ahead but its right now a fun game to play just dont expect to much end content right now so dont rush.

Another game I would want you to try if you're not into Early Access games is Wurm Online (not the steam version Wurm Unlimited). Its a also a game that reminds of UO a lot.
    The steam version Wurm Unlimited offers an identical game but with player-run servers. But yeha I dont like the idea of grinding on a community server and suddenly you loose all because that servers shut down or anything.
    So if you want the official server you must go get the game on their web page https://www.wurmonline.com/ and that one is free with the possibility to pay for premium time etc.

Post edited by MrG8 on