Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Link me a new computer from Amazon under 800

13»

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I wouldn't get an ssd if you are not sure your replacing your mobo. There are alot more options for ssd if you upgrade.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Cleffy said:
    I wouldn't get an ssd if you are not sure your replacing your mobo. There are alot more options for ssd if you upgrade.
    It's easy enough to move an SSD to a new computer if it comes to that.  You'll need to reinstall Windows, as some drivers will be different from what the old computer needed.  But that won't require replacing hardware.  The original poster doesn't strike me as the sort to have a large enough budget to pay the considerable premium that it costs for an NVMe over PCI-E SSD of a given capacity.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    While you're at it, link me to the answer sheet for my next final yeah?  
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Cleffy said:
    What the, what the?

I would say at this point it's time to move beyond old school spiny drives. That's like saying 2.5 inch floppy disks are OK because they still exist somewhere. 1 gig Crucial MX500 SSD are only $119 right now and come with a 5 yr warranty. They would be fine for anyone building a computer over using an old school HD. If for some reason you hate Crucial there is the Samsung 860 EVO. Crucial MX500 and Samsung drives are so close in specs it really comes down to which one is the better deal at the time you're looking.

As for M.2 drives, those have dropped in price as well. Honestly based on what I have seen, the  performance difference between M.2 and SATA is negligible for most uses in real world situations. If someone is dead set on buying one eventually they can always add it later as the main drive when they upgrade to a MB that allows that flexibility. I would never steer anyone away from SSDs.

RidelynnGdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited December 2018
    That's why I said wait on an ssd upgrade until it's sure the mobo won't be swapped. Better to sit on it for a couple weeks then redo installing all the software again.
    Even at a budget, I would prefer an nvme with sata speeds at around the same price than a 2.5" ssd.
    Gdemami
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Ridelynn said:
    Are you positive that’s reading in F? Most computer monitors default to C.
    my case has both 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Here bought two of these for the kids and they both play all the current games with them with no problems.  They are not 4k computers, but do everything else fine:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/507158/g153-desktop-computer

now, your coupon is not any good here, but a definite good buy.