Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New event / cash grab

AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
But it does have some freebies, so if the game is released you get some freebies.

And anyone looking to donate their hard earnt coins give me a yell. 

Oh final note if your oceanus Region you can win a Duke package
alkarionlog

Comments

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    If your on Oceanus the grand prize is a monarch package, runner up is the Duchy.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Even better. 

Now remember all its time to spend spend spend. .. 
    KyleranalkarionlogJamesGoblinScot
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Not a fan of this event for a few different reasons. Very surprised that since OCE server gets a new king, for reasons I don't understand since it did have full kings, why it goes for such a short amount of time. 

At least the free kingdom event on NAE went for a month. Having this one right before xmas. I doubt the timing could be worse really. I have basically zero money left over for any real spending, so who will pick each winner, you may wonder? The whales, the people that have too much to throw around this time of year. 

All that aside, I'm really pissed that being on OCE server, while it's nice we get a new king. We miss out on the first magically item shown. That just makes zero sense. Like I didn't already need more reasons not to bother with the OCE server.
    AnOldFart
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited December 2018
    Raising money to develop the game is not a cash grab. Unless you think they have enough already?
    Ungoodbcbully
    Raising money to develop the game is not a cash grab. Unless you think they have enough already?
    But offering a competition that encourages gambling and a remote chance to win one of the last duchies is imho..  
    Slapshot1188
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2018
    Raising money to develop the game is not a cash grab.
    It is when you hold an event where the team or individual that has spent most real money on your game is the winner.
    Slapshot1188aleosMadFrenchie

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Vrika said:
    It is when you hold an event where the team or individual that has spent most real money on your game is the winner.
    No, no it doesn't. A cash grab is when an entity creates a shitty product for the sole purpose of getting money. A competition is simply an incentive to try to donate the most amount of money.

Greedmonger was a cash grab. This is just a fundraising event.
    bcbully
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Vrika said:
    No, no it doesn't. A cash grab is when an entity creates a shitty product for the sole purpose of getting money. A competition is simply an incentive to try to donate the most amount of money.

Greedmonger was a cash grab. This is just a fundraising event.
    Er, the verdict is still out, for all anyone knows COE may well be a "shitty" product, atm it's a non-product.
    Slapshot1188Waan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

Is selling something for the sole purpose of generating profits.

This is not to be confused with selling things to fund the creation of the game, keep the game running, or fund future development of the game.

Just wanted to put that out there, in case anyone actually cared.
    MendelbcbullyGdemamiStaalBurgher
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vrika said:
    No, no it doesn't. A cash grab is when an entity creates a shitty product for the sole purpose of getting money.
    That event is like model example of a shitty product for the sole purpose of making more money.
    Gdemami

Vrika said:
    Vrika said:
    No, no it doesn't. A cash grab is when an entity creates a shitty product for the sole purpose of getting money.
    That event is like model example of a shitty product for the sole purpose of making more money.
    That would make it a fund raising event, not a cash grab.

As long as the money is going into funding the development of the game, it cannot technically be a cash grab. 

Just in case anyone cares about, you know, using these phrases correctly.

If not.. well carry on then.

Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited December 2018
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

This is not to be confused with selling things to fund the creation of the game, keep the game running, or fund future development of the game.

Strange, oxford pocket dictionary states

"an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort." 

And this is a prime example, they are using loot box mechanics in regards the supplies to get in game items (for a game not released yet). They are also doing this to aquire money to develop their game.

So yes this is a cash grab and you need to source your facts better. 

Edit

Although I see in wiktionary it uses it for profits too but on the same page it also states for acquiring money. 
    Slapshot1188GdemamiMadFrenchie
    AnOldFart said:
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

"an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort." 

And this is a prime example, they are using loot box mechanics in regards the supplies to get in game items (for a game not released yet). They are also doing this to aquire money to develop their game.

Edit

Although I see in wiktionary it uses it for profits too but on the same page it also states for acquiring money. 
    Pocket Dictionary.. Hilarious... given the Unabridged online version has no info.

But.. allow me to clear this up..in case people are still stumbling, or can't quite figure this out.

Fundraising: To raise money for a purpose: IE: Selling something to fund developing a Game.

Cash Grab: To sell something purely to make a profit IE: Trying to make money purely for the sake of making more money, often dishonestly.

Now.. thanks to this discussion.. I am going to put "Cash Grab" into the same category of pointless watered down terms that games can't use correctly, right alongside P2W.
    Gdemami

Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

Edit

Pocket Dictionary.. Hilarious... given the Unabridged online version has no info.
    OK so in your opinion cash grab refers to profit. Now don't get me wrong I had to adjust my search terms like any good researcher using the Internet would.

This led me to money grab instead of cash grab, bust since money and cash anre synonymous with each other its a justified switch.

This then leads to the online versions of Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries alongside other "less accurate" dictionaries. 

All agree its to do with acquiring money NOT profits.

But hey they are wrong and you are right... 
    Gdemami
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its kind of sad seeing people give all this money into a project that'll likely just end up being a BR game anyway.
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited December 2018
    Call it whatever you want.  At the end of the day a piece of shit is still a piece of shit.

And for the record, since no financials have ever been released as far as I know (although I think I recall that being promised) we have no idea what the money is spent on.  All we know is that we are FAR beyond the amount stated for the full game, yet not even in Alpha.  So either the funds are misspent or ineptitude.  I strongly believe it’s the latter but have nothing to prove it but my gut outside of the continued wasting of funds/development on items that then need to be scrapped like ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, SpatialOS...

IMHO folks just continue to fund his LARPing of a developer.

So yes, expect more events like this, whatever you want to call it, and that’s just scratching the surface of what will happen at launch (if it ever gets to something resembling that)
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Call it whatever you want.  At the end of the day a piece of shit is still a piece of shit.

And for the record, since no financials have ever been released as far as I know (although I think I recall that being promised) we have no idea what the money is spent on.  All we know is that we are FAR beyond the amount stated for the full game, yet not even in Alpha.  So either the funds are misspent or ineptitude.  I strongly believe it’s the latter but have nothing to prove it but my gut outside of the continued wasting of funds/development on items that then need to be scrapped like ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, SpatialOS...

So yes, expect more events like this, whatever you want to call it, and that’s just scratching the surface of what will happen at launch (if it ever gets to something resembling that)
    You know I missed being on the other side at least you backed up what you said when you can or admit when it's your opinion.

My hatred built into respect lol
    Slapshot1188GdemamiDakeru
    AnOldFart said:
    Ungood said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

Edit

OK so in your opinion cash grab refers to profit. Now don't get me wrong I had to adjust my search terms like any good researcher using the Internet would.

This led me to money grab instead of cash grab, bust since money and cash anre synonymous with each other its a justified switch.

This then leads to the online versions of Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries alongside other "less accurate" dictionaries. 

All agree its to do with acquiring money NOT profits.

But hey they are wrong and you are right... 
    Well if you are so smart.. what's the difference then between just selling a cheap product and a cash grab?

Might want to rethink how much you screw up using your terms if you want to be taken seriously.
    Gdemami

And for the record, since no financials have ever been released as far as I know (although I think I recall that being promised) we have no idea what the money is spent on.  All we know is that we are FAR beyond the amount stated for the full game, yet not even in Alpha. 
    Did they in fact put out an exact amount they would need to fully make the game from start to finish, and also put out the exact amount they have made so far to date?

Also, a keynote here is if they are working on the game or trying to develop it. If not, than sure, it's just a cash grab, however, if they are putting this money into the game to continue it's development, then it's purely a fundraiser.

I get some people want to hate on something purely for the sake of it. I respect that fully.

But don't lose yourself in the process.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

Development funding isn't profitability.  Profits occur *after* the company clears the development costs.  This sale (and most of this company's events) smacks of paying someone's light bill.  Not surprisingly, these sales seem to show up about every month, too.

Ungood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

They may be LARPing, but it seems like they're looking for a Monty Haul GM.  And most of the DM/GMs I've ever encountered would have put them out by now.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    For anyone wondering.

A Cash Grab.

Development funding isn't profitability.  Profits occur *after* the company clears the development costs.  This sale (and most of this company's events) smacks of paying someone's light bill.  Not surprisingly, these sales seem to show up about every month, too.

I know.. but try explaining that to the haters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Ungood said:

Did they in fact put out an exact amount they would need to fully make the game from start to finish, and also put out the exact amount they have made so far to date?

Also, a keynote here is if they are working on the game or trying to develop it. If not, than sure, it's just a cash grab, however, if they are putting this money into the game to continue it's development, then it's purely a fundraiser.

As I said in my earlier post.  Despite promises of transparency IMHO there has been none. We know how much they raised but have no idea how much they spent or what they are spending it on.  We DO know they are FAR beyond what they said they needed for the fully launched game.  Don't care if you call it a cash grab, ineptitude, lying, whatever.  A rose by any other name is still a rose and shit by any other name is still shit.

From Massively: If we’ve done the math right, you raised $900,000 in Kickstarter, plus a million in self-funding, and now you’re seeking another $3 million, for a rough total of $5 million?

Not quite. As I mentioned before, we’ve said we’d need about $2M more to get the game out the door, but $3M would be better. Why? We felt it was better to over-state than under-estimate. Again, we’re always trying to set expectations and really didn’t see this coming as a surprise to anyone. However, and this is really important, we’re not seeking any more money right now. A large percentage of the community didn’t get to back us during Kickstarter, and a similarly large group wanted us to open the store so they could upgrade their pledges.

We’re opening the store because it’s what the community wanted. As we said before, we have a plan to obtain the remaining funds we need. This update most definitely was not “Hey, thanks for the support, now we need $2M more money.” It was solely, “Hey all, as you know, MMOs are expensive and we’re still working to raise another $2M – $3M, but anything you want to contribute further will help.”

Is that the total budget for the game?

Yes. That’s what we anticipate is necessary to finish the game completely – including building all the additional content, hiring additional staff, and getting it out the door.

https://massivelyop.com/2016/09/28/interview-chronicles-of-elyrias-jeromy-walsh-on-post-kickstarter-funding/

As I said-  It doesn't matter what word you want to use.  Reality is that this has become a black hole that needs to suck in more and more amounts of money to survive.  They will sell anything and everything by any means.  They will sell them directly as they do now in the cash shop and they will sell them indirectly as they are doing in this "event.  They tie the events directly to the amount of money you spend in the store.

Heaping pile of crap but feel free to name that pile of crap anything you like.  As long as people keep funding Caspien's LARPing attempt at development I guess it's all good.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Ungood said:

As I said in my earlier post.  Despite promises of transparency IMHO there has been none. We know how much they raised but have no idea how much they spent or what they are spending it on.  We DO know they are FAR beyond what they said they needed for the fully launched game.  Don't care if you call it a cash grab, ineptitude, lying, whatever.  A rose by any other name is still a rose and shit by any other name is still shit.

From Massively: If we’ve done the math right, you raised $900,000 in Kickstarter, plus a million in self-funding, and now you’re seeking another $3 million, for a rough total of $5 million?

Not quite. As I mentioned before, we’ve said we’d need about $2M more to get the game out the door, but $3M would be better. Why? We felt it was better to over-state than under-estimate. Again, we’re always trying to set expectations and really didn’t see this coming as a surprise to anyone. However, and this is really important, we’re not seeking any more money right now. A large percentage of the community didn’t get to back us during Kickstarter, and a similarly large group wanted us to open the store so they could upgrade their pledges.

We’re opening the store because it’s what the community wanted. As we said before, we have a plan to obtain the remaining funds we need. This update most definitely was not “Hey, thanks for the support, now we need $2M more money.” It was solely, “Hey all, as you know, MMOs are expensive and we’re still working to raise another $2M – $3M, but anything you want to contribute further will help.”

Is that the total budget for the game?

Yes. That’s what we anticipate is necessary to finish the game completely – including building all the additional content, hiring additional staff, and getting it out the door.

https://massivelyop.com/2016/09/28/interview-chronicles-of-elyrias-jeromy-walsh-on-post-kickstarter-funding/

As I said-  It doesn't matter what word you want to use.  Reality is that this has become a black hole that needs to suck in more and more amounts of money to survive.  They will sell anything and everything by any means.  They will sell them directly as they do now in the cash shop and they will sell them indirectly as they are doing in this "event.  They tie the events directly to the amount of money you spend in the store.

Heaping pile of crap but feel free to name that pile of crap anything you like.  As long as people keep funding Caspien's LARPing attempt at development I guess it's all good.

But it does matter what word is used... Calling it a cash grab is the wrong definition of a cash grab. If it turns out that this "fund raising" is not going toward the production  of the game then it's a scam. Which is what greedmonger was, my bad in that one.

If they do produce a game and it turns out like a 100k budget game after raising 5 million then THAT is a cash grab.
    GdemamiUngood