Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 or Grim Dawn ?

2»

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited August 2017
    Grim Dawn wins on atmosphere and story, Looses on no server multiplayer and little longevity.

Diablo3 wins on smoothness and graphics (some say), looses on being extremely boring over-designed and linear. It used to be a more interesting game some years ago but like WoW it has been through the Blizzard machine too many times, all the sharp edges are gone and so is every bit of excitement.

Path of Exile wins on being leagues ahead on mechanics and versatility and having an actual fair and non intrusive f2p monetization system, looses on being so complex that you need a masters degree in Math of Exile and also boss fights are annoying and too many.

All 3 are worth playing, all are grindy, all are fun, it is more a matter of which poison you prefer. I don't really play mmos anymore, just observing from the shadows ready if one for my taste should appear, but I do play a good deal of arpgs.
    Post edited by kjempff on
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    I personally would play Grim Dawn over D3. I got bored of D3 because of how easy it was. Don't know if they made it harder now.

This is not a game.

• NekoameNekoame Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Have you considered Path of Exile? It is a great game and I loved it (Diablo III was kinda disapointing).

If you like ARPGs I recommend Titan's Quest with the Immortal Throne exp. The second greatest ARPG IMHO, losing only to Diablo II.
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I would play D3, graphics wise its much nicer and it has an endgame.  You can also adjust the level of difficulty as well.  Trust me it won't be easy in any way on the higher levels. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Nekoame said:
    Have you considered Path of Exile? It is a great game and I loved it (Diablo III was kinda disapointing).

If you like ARPGs I recommend Titan's Quest with the Immortal Throne exp. The second greatest ARPG IMHO, losing only to Diablo II.

I may get to it, many are saying it's good. 

For now I'm deciding if I like arpg's... so far so good.  Almost done with the first act in D3.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited December 2018
    Old post, but still very valid today. Especially for Switch players. So want to chime in a bit....

Like others have said. Diablo 3 isn't easy by any means if you make proper use of the difficulty levels!

This is the single most mistake people making starting out in Diablo 3 and play the entire campaign on Normal difficulty, before figuring out they can raise the difficulty level during their playthrough.
    The worst is, that you won't reach the level cap by the time you finish Act.5 and you will be under geared as well to really start getting into adventure mode.

I usually start in Normal mode in Act.1, then before reaching the endboss in Act.1 I often already got some rare gear drops and set difficulty to Hard.
    Then by the end of Act.2 I often have gotten first legendary drops and then increase difficulty to Expert.

By end of Act.4 with lot of legendary drops and getting good gems slotted in gear, I can boost difficulty to Master. Though, if you don't have optimal gear stats and gems, the last two boss encounters might be problematic for new(er) players, so you might have to set it back to Expert before these boss fights, finish them and then increase it back to Master at beginning of Act.5.

This way the game is more challenging, fun, you level a lot faster and get much better gear drops! Since each difficulty increase, increases XP gain significantly, higher gold gain and increased drop rate of Rare and Legendary gear.
    Getting better gear, especially Legendary with gem slots, is crucial to keep boosting the difficulty level.
    This way you will be guaranteed level 70 when you finish Act.5 and start with the endgame in Adventure Mode and can start working towards Torment.1 difficulty and upwards.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Grim dawn is the better game but I can't take its retarded animations seriously.  They are on par with PoE's ridiculousness.  
    JeffSpicoli
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    D3 is a bit hard to understand fo newcomers so let me break down its structure.

level 1-70 = the tutorial
    hard/expert/master = the preparation phase
    Torment 1 - 5 = Learning the more advanced systems
    Torment 6+/GRifts 30+ = the actual game

There you go, high level D3 is something completely different then the normal game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    lahnmir said:

There you go, high level D3 is something completely different then the normal game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If you read my post. 1-70 doesn't have to be a boring tutorial.

I did it wrong too in the early days and never made it to level 70 with a single character, as I just got bored.

If you keep the difficulty on Normal through the whole Act.1 - Act.5 campaign or even to level 70. Well, you going to burn out real quick!  Which is what happened to me.

When I started playing Diablo 3 like I described in my post above, it was like playing a whole different game.  It became a lot more fun, more challenging, quicker progression, quicker leveling, much better loot drops and gear progression, etc.

Then by the time I finished Act.5, I was already level 70 with first couple paragon levels and could immediately start with Torment 1 in Adventure mode.

A much better and more fun experience.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    JeroKane said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If you read my post. 1-70 doesn't have to be a boring tutorial.

I did it wrong too in the early days and never made it to level 70 with a single character, as I just got bored.

If you keep the difficulty on Normal through the whole Act.1 - Act.5 campaign or even to level 70. Well, you going to burn out real quick!  Which is what happened to me.

When I started playing Diablo 3 like I described in my post above, it was like playing a whole different game.  It became a lot more fun, more challenging, quicker progression, quicker leveling, much better loot drops and gear progression, etc.

Then by the time I finished Act.5, I was already level 70 with first couple paragon levels and could immediately start with Torment 1 in Adventure mode.

A much better and more fun experience.
    True, I must admit I might be biased. After the 1200 hour mark all the levelling no matter the difficulty became nothing but an annoying tutorial for me  :D

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Wenchesnmead
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer