Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundry 42 Financials Released

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Erillion said:
    Attracting even bigger investors with his own name ? A statement of trust ?

Have fun
    It's extremely hard to understand this stuff, but Dan Offner technically is now part of CIG as a director of one of their companies, that is CIG UK not the actual office Foundry 42 UK (unless CIG UK owns it idk).
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    MaxBacon said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    It's extremely hard to understand this stuff, but Dan Offner technically is now part of CIG as a director of one of their companies, that is CIG UK not the actual office Foundry 42 UK (unless CIG UK owns it idk).
    CIG UK owns Foundry 42 UK.
    gervaise1

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Honestly, I think anyone regardless of country should be pissed if their taxes are used to fund frivolities like game companies. Rhode Island via 38Studios/ Amular: Age of Reckoning was a perfect example of why not to. Hell, the only reason the craptastic Funcom is still breathing is because the Norwegian government gives then a taxpayer funded grant every year.
    >>> Rhode Island via 38Studios/ Amular: Age of Reckoning was a perfect example of why not to. >>>

However, the 38 Studio case has no relevance to this situation here, unless the United Kingdom itself has started to DIRECTLY invest money into CIG or Foundry 42.

That a new company gets tax breaks is completely normal in the European Union. And not confined to the computer game sector.

Have fun

Gdemami
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:
    **snip**

But I don't know why would his name directly join CIG as a director and not one of his companies.

I think it's more likely just so that he can look after his interests in the company.
    Gdemami

Rhoklaw said:
    First, they had 200 employees, then 300 and now 500. I'm beginning to wonder how many of their employees are interns based off the rate of development. As was pointed out several times, SQ42 is only slightly behind schedule.
    >>> I'm beginning to wonder how many of their employees are interns based off the rate of development. >>>

If you look at their publically available job announcements, you can see that they usually look for people MUCH more experienced than an intern.

AND a doorman ;-) Presumably also experienced.  I can imagine which madman they want to keep outside :-)

Have fun

Erillion said:
    If i would be head of a game developing company, i would look beyond the current game i am working on.

Star Citizen is laying down the foundations in technology and pipelines.

What game other than SC will they work on in 5 years, in 8 years .... in addition to Star Citizen "DLCs" and maintaining the SC server infrastructure  ?

Should they branch out ? Star Citizen mobile game companion apps ?  Novels ? Models and 3D printing ? Roleplaying game ? MOVIE ?! Board game  (as they already have one for the SC economy). 
    I think branching out might collapse their crowdfunding. As long as the game isn't closer to completion, a lot of people would look it as betrayal that CIG is spending money outside development of the game.

Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:
    **snip**

But I don't know why would his name directly join CIG as a director and not one of his companies.

I think it's more likely just so that he can look after his interests in the company.
    That wouldn't be his name tho, he has companies that do the investment work, this shows more personal involvement with the company otherwise the names of his companies would pop, the Cayman Islands stuff likely is related to Offner then and points he is the investor.
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i don't personally know Chris or his brother,i don't get the feeling any of them are smart at hiring good employees or good at running the business or even good at designing and making games.

What i do know for fact is that if there were not so many whales spending FOOLISHLY on virtual ships,this ship would have sunk long ago.
    Honest quality developers try to make ends meat by selling a PRODUCT a FULL product,CIG sells ships and sold a LOT of ships before a single person could even set one foot in the game.
    It is really sad to see this crooked dealer making so much money when there are a lot of hard working developers just scraping by and having to earn their income with a viable product.

I mean just look at the Fallout debacle,guess what Fallout has a LOT more game than what CIG was selling,so yeah think about it.Bethesda is not taking all the heat when there are MANY more scummmy publishers and developers out there.
    Nilden

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited December 2018
    Vrika said:
    I think branching out might collapse their crowdfunding. As long as the game isn't closer to completion, a lot of people would look it as betrayal that CIG is spending money outside development of the game.
    They could use an external investors money for any "branching-out" projects. No need to take any money from the crowdfunding (which HAS to go to game development by the terms of the crowdfunding agreement).

I doubt that backers would see the development of novels as a form of betrayal. Elite Dangerous already has a lot of novels ... why should Star Citizen be different ?  Star Citizen already has a ton of short stories in the Jump Point magazine. Why not invite some of those authors to write full novels or electronic novellas (like you see it for Battletech or Shadowrun) ?

Have fun
    Gdemami
    When it comes to Star Citizen, I consider it Vaporware.  Sure, there are a few playable demos but it has been a decade from when they started developing the game, then the kick starter and now years of crowdfunding.  We are still waiting on Squadron 42.  We are still waiting on Star Citizen.  From 2012 to now, what was promised has still failed to be delivered.  I commend Chris' wife.  She deserves every penny she makes.  Nearing $300 million in crowdfunding is an amazing accomplishment for crowdfunding.   Maybe we will see both released, maybe we won't.  In the end, hopefully some of the technology they have developed gets used by other development teams in other game studios.  I wish them well but with no accountability for feature creep in this game, I may be dead before either of these games go gold.  Just my two cents... 
    Its 6 years, maybe 7 if you start with the founding of CIG. Not a decade.

Its 211 M$, not 300.

Your "vaporware" is being played in its Alpha version by a large number of players. You can find thousands of their fan made videos online.

We may not be able to play SQ42 yet, but there IS a one hour vertical slice to watch.

Feature Creep and additional crowdfunding milestones stopped about 3 years ago.

Have fun
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2018
    Rhoklaw said:
    First, they had 200 employees, then 300 and now 500. I'm beginning to wonder how many of their employees are interns based off the rate of development. As was pointed out several times, SQ42 is only slightly behind schedule.
    Their office shows more signs of growth then their game.

I jest, I jest....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Nilden
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    edited December 2018
    What's the matter, Derek, Chris Roberts got your panties in a twist again because of another extremely successful year end sale.
    Got to spread those fake,  hate fueled financial improprieties eh.
    mmolou
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Aethaeryn said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah, that pretty much confirms the 500 employees number that was mentioned, 318 up to the end of last year makes the UK office represent over 60% of the company.

The good side of financials is that it kinda teaches the scam theorists that defend money is not going back into game-dev of the real costs of maintaining a studio on that scale; with them crowdfunding around 35million a year.
    And my wife wonders why I can't make a game like "the kids play" and get rich :)
    To be fair the games "the kids play" are typically simple. It's the idea thats a challenge. 
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Durzax said:
    What's the matter, Derek, Chris Roberts got your panties in a twist again because of another extremely successful year end sale.
    Got to spread those fake,  hate fueled financial improprieties eh.
    Tell me on the doll where you think the imaginary derek smart touched you. 
    Nilden
    edited December 2018
    Erillion said:
    When it comes to Star Citizen, I consider it Vaporware.  Sure, there are a few playable demos but it has been a decade from when they started developing the game, then the kick starter and now years of crowdfunding.  We are still waiting on Squadron 42.  We are still waiting on Star Citizen.  From 2012 to now, what was promised has still failed to be delivered.  I commend Chris' wife.  She deserves every penny she makes.  Nearing $300 million in crowdfunding is an amazing accomplishment for crowdfunding.   Maybe we will see both released, maybe we won't.  In the end, hopefully some of the technology they have developed gets used by other development teams in other game studios.  I wish them well but with no accountability for feature creep in this game, I may be dead before either of these games go gold.  Just my two cents... 
    Its 6 years, maybe 7 if you start with the founding of CIG. Not a decade.

Its 211 M$, not 300.

Your "vaporware" is being played in its Alpha version by a large number of players. You can find thousands of their fan made videos online.

We may not be able to play SQ42 yet, but there IS a one hour vertical slice to watch.

Feature Creep and additional crowdfunding milestones stopped about 3 years ago.

Have fun
    I seriously don't know what your problem is, here is the time line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen  Closer to a decade than six years for sure. 
    Instead of nearing $300 million, how about I change it to the word chasing.  I'm impressed with Chris' wife doing as good as a job as she has with the crowdfunding effort.  It was a complement and I don't understand why you have a problem with it.
    Playable demos or not, what was promised still hasn't been delivered now, has it?  It simply doesn't matter how many hours of vertical slice there is to watch, the point remains the same, no game.
    Are you sure there has been no feature creep in the last three years?  I don't remember on the out set we were going to have over 150 ships to fly or be able to buy land on planets or have $27,000 ship packages to buy or take a crap in toilets in our space ships or have capital ships etc etc etc.  Sure seems like a lot of feature creep in the last three years to me.  

You have fun my friend.

I always have fun ;-)

A suggestion - to get your facts right you may want to read some of the primary sources. Not only your TLDR Wikipedia summaries. Many of those quoted in links in that Wikipedia entry. 

In crowdfunding campaigns it is common to see exotic high end 10000+ $ pledge packages. No one forces anyone to pledge that much. But if someone does - even better for the rest of us and the project we back and support. 

Have fun

PS:
    planetary and surface gameplay is a crowdfunding milestone. 
    So is a multitude of ship types (multiple milestones refer to ships). 
    Immersive gameplay is a day 1 promise (my personal favorite- getting drunk in game using the hangar liquor cabinet - and the effects it has on the avatar and his vision). 
    We both agree in the point that the CIG marketing team is doing a good job (in fact a world record level job). 

Let me do some math. Let's take the 2011 from Wikipedia that you quoted instead of 2012 (founding date of CIG, start of crowdfunding campaign). Today is 2018. That is 7 instead of 6 years. Nope, still closer to 6 years than 10 years.  ;-) 

Gdemami
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
    They could use an external investors money for any "branching-out" projects. No need to take any money from the crowdfunding (which HAS to go to game development by the terms of the crowdfunding agreement).

I doubt that backers would see the development of novels as a form of betrayal. Elite Dangerous already has a lot of novels ... why should Star Citizen be different ?  Star Citizen already has a ton of short stories in the Jump Point magazine. Why not invite some of those authors to write full novels or electronic novellas (like you see it for Battletech or Shadowrun) ?

Have fun 
    Because CIG has large projects in their own places such as SQ42 and SC, and SQ42 heavily tied to the UK operations, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanting investors to back SQ42.

Such as large marketing operation as the game with its cast alone is quite investment attractive, I think they would want a traditional marketing campaign for the SP Campaign and that is expensive.

And tbh I wouldn't also be surprised if SQ42 gets backed up by a publisher even, now side projects at this stage I wouldn't believe so, but that this changes on CIG UK potentially mean something surrounding SQ42 that yes.
    Gdemami
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

Have fun 
    Because CIG has large projects in their own places such as SQ42 and SC, and SQ42 heavily tied to the UK operations, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanting investors to back SQ42.

Such as large marketing operation as the game with its cast alone is quite investment attractive, I think they would want a traditional marketing campaign for the SP Campaign and that is expensive.

And tbh I wouldn't also be surprised if SQ42 gets backed up by a publisher even, now side projects at this stage I wouldn't believe so, but that this changes on CIG UK potentially mean something surrounding SQ42 that yes.
    Such much for the narrative that CR thinks publishers are evil and all that’s wrong with the game industry. If he gets a publisher I will laugh so hard as the history rewriting and honour defending from the true believers would reach epic proportions
    Kefo said:
    Such much for the narrative that CR thinks publishers are evil and all that’s wrong with the game industry. If he gets a publisher I will laugh so hard as the history rewriting and honour defending from the true believers would reach epic proportions
    I would already years ago said that SQ42 getting published would not be a bad idea, because it's this standalone SP campaign game, with points as its cast being big marketable points in the hands of a publisher to market the title they could go beyond anything CIG could afford as they are not doing that traditional type of marketing big publishers invest a lot on.

I also think SQ42 would be a fit for current-gen console gaming port, in terms of hardware the question consoles can't run it pretty much fades away and to me, it would sell pretty well if so, another point they could get a publisher to either market / handle a port of the title like some devs tend to do.

That in terms of SQ42, not SC.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Erillion said:

In crowdfunding campaigns it is common to see exotic high end 10000+ $ pledge packages. No one forces anyone to pledge that much. But if someone does - even better for the rest of us and the project we back and support. 

Have fun

PS:
    Immersive gameplay is a day 1 promise (my personal favorite- getting drunk in game using the hangar liquor cabinet - and the effects it has on the avatar and his vision). 
    We both agree in the point that the CIG marketing team is doing a good job (in fact a world record level job). 

Let me do some math. Let's take the 2011 from Wikipedia that you quoted instead of 2012 (founding date of CIG, start of crowdfunding campaign). Today is 2018. That is 7 instead of 6 years. Nope, still closer to 6 years than 10 years.  ;-) 

Its only "common" because Chris Roberts was able to do it. Like I said it used to be WOW clones now its CR clones (at least in trying to make money).

Show me a single crowd funded game or kickstarter that had ANY sort of packages like this prior to even 2015.

Also love how 12 days from 2019 you call it 2018. Thats you in a nutshell right there, especially when trying to twist facts into some CiG white knight defending position.

Also given the dates were taken from a 2012 article with quotes from Roberts himself I dont know why you people always try to change it. Even giving it a 'perfect' start time of 10-19-2011 (he said in an interview on 10-18-2012) I can tell that because it was posted on 10-19-2018 and they said he sat for the interview yesterday. But from 10-18-2011 to today (not including today) its been 2619 days. Thats 7 years 2 months and a day. SO technically the guy was incorrect thinking it was closer to 10 than 6, but whatever its longer than you want to admit in any event.

As for 'immersion'. LMAO< yeah they srpinkle in some basic crap any game can simulate (getting drunk) and people think its immersive. I dont know of any game that DOESNT have some sort of intoxicated or 'poisoned' effect in it. Yet to you its 'your favorite'.

But keep up the spin they certainly cant accuse you of not earning whatever theyre paying you.
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

PS:

Its only "common" because Chris Roberts was able to do it. Like I said it used to be WOW clones now its CR clones (at least in trying to make money).

Show me a single crowd funded game or kickstarter that had ANY sort of packages like this prior to even 2015.
    For example Camelot Unchained and Shroud of The Avatar.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/description
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

But the difference is that before Star Citizen, and even during Star Citizen's Kickstarter, these $10 000 packages included IRL meetings with developers, truely rare collectibles, or something other special. It's only recently that we've seen people starting to pay $10 000 for ordinary in-game stuff.

But I wouldn't give credit to Star Citizen alone, all the crowdfunded MMOs together have moved to that direction because people have accepted that move.

rodarin said:

Also love how 12 days from 2019 you call it 2018. Thats you in a nutshell right there, especially when trying to twist facts into some CiG white knight defending position.

Also given the dates were taken from a 2012 article with quotes from Roberts himself I dont know why you people always try to change it. Even giving it a 'perfect' start time of 10-19-2011 (he said in an interview on 10-18-2012) I can tell that because it was posted on 10-19-2018 and they said he sat for the interview yesterday. But from 10-18-2011 to today (not including today) its been 2619 days. Thats 7 years 2 months and a day. SO technically the guy was incorrect thinking it was closer to 10 than 6, but whatever its longer than you want to admit in any event.

As for 'immersion'. LMAO< yeah they srpinkle in some basic crap any game can simulate (getting drunk) and people think its immersive. I dont know of any game that DOESNT have some sort of intoxicated or 'poisoned' effect in it. Yet to you its 'your favorite'.

But keep up the spin they certainly cant accuse you of not earning whatever theyre paying you.
    >>>> Show me a single crowd funded game or kickstarter that had ANY sort of packages like this prior to even 2015.>>>

10000 $ pledge package

5000 pound stirling pledge package

5000 $ pledge package

5000 pound stirling pledge package

etc. etc.    Seems like not only Chris Roberts "was able to do it" ;-)

Facts are not your strong point, eh ? ;-)

>>>> Also love how 12 days from 2019 you call it 2018. >>>
    As the Kickstarter ended in November 2012, that is also quite late in the year. Less than a month more than 6 years.

<>>> quotes from Roberts himself I dont know why you people always try to change it. >>>
    Because it IS NOT a quote from Roberts himself, but an assumption made by the author.
    Roberts speaks about work over the year (which fits well with the founding date of CIG in April 2012). Which some people interpret as exactly "ONE YEAR", which pushes the project start into 2011. Which is hard, because CIG DID NOT EVEN EXIST IN 2011 ! 

And if we just speak about the idea in the mind of Chris Roberts, then its more like 2003 after Freelancer, not 2011. But an idea is not the same as a formal project start.

>>> I dont know of any game that DOESNT have some sort of intoxicated or 'poisoned' effect in it.  >>>>

Please show me how my avatar in his captains cabin can become intoxicated in EVE Online. Especially in a way that is grafically visible e.g. by some screen shaking or bluring.
    I am waiting on the edge of my seat ......

>>> whatever theyre paying you. >>>
    Still zero. But you have been kicking out that line for years now ;-) That desperate ? :-D

Have fun

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    The only one I might be willing to give you that wasnt related to Roberts (even though the ED one is before my deadline it was most definitely influenced by Roberts) is the JA one. And all those were LIMITED as in a single one. Not the case anymore they all offer as many as they can sell (with an INITIAL 'limited' claim but then relaunch them later).

LOL Eve doesnt have avatars. But nice try. Any game with a toon you can walk around with and have things happen to them has drunk or poisoned (some visual alteration to your screen). But we all know youre being your disingenuous intellectually dishonest self. Lotro, ESO, GW 2,Rift, all the Conans, Ark, all the Fall outs, (and even though i h avent played it I am willing to bet Black Desert has it also)etc etc etc all have visual impairments in them.

The problem with Roberts and his 'ideas' doesnt matter when he has them he now (allegedly) has the money to waste trying (futile) to make them come true.

For the most ambitious and groundbreaking game ever to be made I havent seen a single thing that they do that someone else hasnt done (better). 

But I am sure you will cite some bugged out make believe movie made on their closed servers to refute that. But nothing that can be seen or played on their tech demo server is genre changing thats for sure. Other than showing how little one can produce with tens of millions of dollars (allegedly) and 6+ years.
  • bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I have not paid a dime and will not pay a dime for this game until it is released.  Until then its nothing but a glorified demo. 6+ years now.....I was excited for this type of game, but now I have just come to the conclusion if it comes out, it comes out.  I dont really follow it anymore.
    edited December 2018
    >>> LOL Eve doesnt have avatars.  >>>

You have no idea about EVE Online, that much is obvious.

Image result for EVE Online avatar walking

Have fun

PS:
    At present that functionality has been switched off. Its was called "Captain's quarters" and you can walk around, look at yourself in the mirror of your cabin, walk to your ship and inspect it from the outside. It was based on the "World of Darkness" engine CCP was working on for some years.

bmw66 said:
    I have not paid a dime and will not pay a dime for this game until it is released.  Until then its nothing but a glorified demo. 6+ years now.....I was excited for this type of game, but now I have just come to the conclusion if it comes out, it comes out.  I dont really follow it anymore.
    A perfectly valid stance.

People like me - backer playtesters for the Alpha version - will try to find and iron out as much bugs as possible until the time you get it into your hands after launch.

Have fun