Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria Comprehensive Impressions - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegends of Aria Comprehensive Impressions - MMORPG.com

I’ve seen the name Legends of Aria posted on our website in the top five voted games for a while, but I was always skeptical about it. It seemed to offer a throwback, almost identical to Ultima Online. Was I truly ready for such a game? Would it even be worth the time and effort? They surely couldn’t do the game justice could they? I had my doubts, truly, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen so far.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I bought into it because it looked interesting and I have had my eye on it for a while. Your write up is pretty right. I both like and dislike the lack of hand holding, I have no idea what is going on most of the time, so I just started killing mobs to gain skill ups for the time being. There's quite a few people running around, which is nice because everyone I've talked to so far has been relatively nice.

I'm hoping I can dive more into it this weekend to see if it's something I can enjoy, I've wanted a modern Ultima type game for a while.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Just keep in mind this is an indie game. Legends of Aria is the first game to be produced by Citadel Studios. This means they don’t have the funding, or the team size, to get things done as fast as AAA titles. This can be a hindrance to some players, as some bugs or crashes won’t always be fixed instantly and may take some time. It’s the nature of the project, something you truly need to keep in mind while playing games such as this.
    ----------------------------

I just wish more people understood this and didn't cry at the first problem they run into.
    JeffSpicoliExistentialistMYTHGuy

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I'm not Sure how this is a Modern MMO since it doesn't Include 1/10 of the features of the game i played in 2000. It's like a Demo of UO Beta. Go download UO and play it for 5 mins and you will see UO Is a far superior product. The game was a let down... Maybe in a few years I will try i again.
    SinsaiViper482paulytheb
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This game has me intrigued and looks interesting but i feel like I read so much negativity about the game I'm kind of hesitant to invest any of my time into it.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Dude070Dude070 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Great early access review! It's been a pleasure having you in GoT and i'm looking forward to the many adventures we'll have in the future.

Praise be her infinite moistness!
  • MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67

thunderC said:

This game has me intrigued and looks interesting but i feel like I read so much negativity about the game I'm kind of hesitant to invest any of my time into it.

What is making you hesitant? The game is really fun. It has it's share of bugs, just keep an open mind. It's an early access game made by an indie company. Also keep in mind the guys making this are veterans from Ultima Online and Elder Scrolls.

If you have any questions, hop on the MMORPG.com discord and send me a message!
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    The drop loot on death is what killed it for me.
    SBFordIce-QueenThupli
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Full loot MMO's are niche at best. No one wants to lose everything when they die. It's even worse when it happens due to a disconnect or crash.
    darkheartsSBFordPhryTacticalZombehIce-Queen
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jasconinejasconine Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Tried to download the client multiple times with no luck. When they get a decent distribution method, i'll give it another go. I've had the same problem through most of pre-alpha-super-early-access which I let them know about but the problem remains, manual download and restart 10x to get 10% is not a happy place.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I just want to mention that character development is really good in this game and far superior to UO (current and past) or AC in my opinion.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    mmmm slow grinding--what fun--NOT
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited December 2018
    eddieg50 said:

Post edited by Musket-Squid on

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    eddieg50 said:
    That's my big issue with UO, AC, this game, and most open world pvp mmorpgs - the grind as a core mechanic instead of having quests and content.  

For instance - I couldn't play AO for very long until Shadowlands added quests and then the daily quests and every other week quests that gave me something to do.  And then they added those global AH kiosk things and suddenly AO became a game I could really sink time into since I didn't have to grind to advance and waste half my play time running to x play to buy a simple upgrade.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Pass for me also. I need a game with questing and story as part of exploration.
  • KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119
    It's a carbon copy of Ultima Online, basically. If you were an old Ultima Online fan (97-2002/3), you might enjoy this game--assuming you feel like going back in time to that type of skill system, loot mechanics, and focus on PvP at the end of the day once everyone gets their feet wet.

Most new MMORPG players will not enjoy this game at all. They don't understand/like full loot. They don't understand the skill system and/or how to quickly adapt to it. They don't like being rudderless in the sea with no direction (and I can't say I blame them). They don't like the lack of quests, story, and guidance.

What annoys me about games like Legends of Aria and Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is that the games are not advancements in any shape, way, or form. They are not original. They are instead direct throwbacks to games made in 1997 and 1999 respectively (UO and EQ) for a nostalgia reasons only, with the only advancement featuring "somewhat" newer graphics. But the developers of both games are just copying everything done in those previous games and pasting them into the year 2018. There are so many things that could be enhanced, so many decisions they could take from the flaws learned in those games over the years, so many quality of life improvements developed over the past 20 years of video games, and, of course, could use just a little originality and creativity of their own.

Sadly we live in a stagnant state of gaming in the MMORPG market. It's equivalent to the movie market, really. Just rehashes of old things done more or less the same, or generally worse. You can't bring the past. It never works. But what you can do is take elements of the past and weave them into your own creation for the future. That's how technology grows. That's how culture grows. Sadly these devs missed that memo.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    One of the advantages of LOA is that they offer you to use the server code to have your own server and modify as you please. The basic setup at the moment is a bit sparse but is expected of an indie MMO with about 250k funds. I think this is a game that will grow and show its full potential in a year or two when the modders can show of the stuff they can do.

Existentialist
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited December 2018
    Was out hunting trolls to pay for a house just now. I was in the wilderness areas so there was a chance of meeting reds. As it turns out one showed up. We fought for about 5 minutes until he ran out of mana.

We agreed he call it even. He said it was a good fight. With my 300 ping I thought I would lose but the way the game is designed it didn't matter so much. I walked away happy, gear intact.

I'm going to be here for a long time.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Never been a fan of full loot pvp games, i think its a feature of the game that will be a deal breaker for many, as a niche game maybe it will do okay, hard pass for me though. :/
    Ice-Queen
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I agree with a few other posters. I backed the game when it was Shards. I have absolutely no interest in the game Aria became. It was effectively a bait-and-switch.

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    eddieg50 said:
    My friend started playing Monday night and his main skills are in the 80s.  Not sure how fast you want it but he’ll have a maxed character by Jan...
    You only get 600 skill points...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SkellybonesSkellybones Member UncommonPosts: 85
    i never played Uo and always heard good things about it, then i heard about LoA and i felt i needed to experience a game in modern times that resembled uo and boy did i make the right choice!. im enjoying the game very much and as people say it is still in early access therefore under development. i see alot of potentional for the game and playing in a guild make the game more fun! if you new comers are going to try the game please reach out to me and join our guild Sinners n Saints on Verdant Earth Server our discord is https://discord.gg/ykayF6p

• KatoKhanKatoKhan Member UncommonPosts: 5

blamo2000 said:

eddieg50 said:

That's my big issue with UO, AC, this game, and most open world pvp mmorpgs - the grind as a core mechanic instead of having quests and content.  

For instance - I couldn't play AO for very long until Shadowlands added quests and then the daily quests and every other week quests that gave me something to do.  And then they added those global AH kiosk things and suddenly AO became a game I could really sink time into since I didn't have to grind to advance and waste half my play time running to x play to buy a simple upgrade.

So basically you are saying you don't want to have to take initiative and choose what to do yourself but only like being spoon fed and told what to do all the time.
    That's cool, you like what you like, but why on earth would you go to a SANDBOX game and complain about your hand not being held ? I mean thats like me going to WoW and saying man I hate being told what to do all the time. Complain about bugs or whatever but dont complain about a game doing what it is supposed to do.
    Kyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    This game has less features and content then UO did at launch.  It's a massive failure.