Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling all alone...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i allways was a very vocal part of MMO communities..
but i kind of solely rely on my communication in text based chat..
if neccessary for the content, i listen to teamspeak and the other chats..
but i prefer not to speak, as i most of the time game in our living room, that i share with the rest of the fammily

in this time its near impossible to find guilds relying on text based chat...
if anyone knows a european gw2 social guild relying on text based chat for most of their comms, i would like to know..

but this fact and me playing more casual (20+ hours a week) often puts me in a solo position..
this is not the way i prefer playing mmo's,,
i hope pantheon will change this..

but i guess its where the current generation of gamers differs..
they want to run along, have action based combat and chat at the same time..

am i all alone in this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

iixviiiixKyleranAlBQuirkyd_20rojoArcueidConstantineMerusOctagon7711craftseekerkjempff[Deleted User]and 4 others.

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

am i all alone in this?
    I'm afraid it's just some of us old-timers. I have ONE ESO guild that does text based social chat. I love that guild, though I haven't played ESO for a while. They also have people in Discord, but there are plenty who hang out in text.
    [Deleted User]

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    All those years ago even when I played City of Heroes I was in a guild with voice chat. I felt quite conscious of my voice since it is very squeaky and I sound like a small child.

People like it because it takes time to type whereas giving instructions in chat is faster. I found it easier for me after awhile although I have no problems with text chat. I adapted but I can understand why it might be awkward when you're in a room with other members of the family. My son manages to have loud conversations with curses and all while playing in the hall since the internet reception in his room sucks so he plays on the dining table which no one uses for eating except him.

We like to watch shows and eat.

I think it's not going to get better since people like to talk and talking while playing is very natural. Typing isn't. You have to take that extra effort and these days who cares to.
    AlBQuirkyd_20
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited December 2018
    Right with you OP, I mostly game in the living room on my laptop while watching TV with my wife so if I am on voice chat it's mostly listen mode only, and will actually type my responses if I know people are reading. 

Also, I loath l listening to most voice chats, people talking all over each other, extreme profanity, non game related conversations, personal issues, and "that guy" always telling everyone how drunk or high they are while failing miserably in game. (And chat)

I really enjoyed this one corporate guild but their manical insistence of always being on voice chat keeps me from gaming with them.

Perhaps if we join a guild for the hearing impaired we would fare better? Maybe I'll start one, as I age I lose more of my hearing every year so....

I think I'll name it "Sound of Silence"

For the voice chat impared... 

;)
    AlBQuirkyd_20CryomatrixcraftseekerUngood[Deleted User]Phryphoenixfire2

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    You're not alone, but I have no suggestions.

Too many players are too enamored with their own voices to go back to text chat. If you can get them to use "push-to-talk", it's just a button push and spew whatever vile crap leaves the brain, or listen to them eat/chew/burp/sneeze. Text chat takes effort and most players won't go to the effort for crap like that.

Voice chat has its uses, but they are overshadowed by the ease of abuse of it.
    d_20KyleranRexKushmancraftseeker[Deleted User]Phry

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I prefer the same thing unless the game is based around it. . like Sea of Thieves etc. is better with live chat. . WoW. etc. I prefer text.  I'm not anti-social. . I just like to keep up at my own pace and don't want to hear people talking while I play.
    d_20KylerancraftseekerAlBQuirky

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I like to listen to music while I play while keeping an eye on text chat. From time to time interesting topics come up and I participate, still enjoying my music the whole time. Can't really do that in discord, though some guilds have music channels. In that case, you need to like the music of the person selecting it, though.
    AlBQuirky

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    d_20 said:
    I like to listen to music while I play while keeping an eye on text chat. From time to time interesting topics come up and I participate, still enjoying my music the whole time. Can't really do that in discord, though some guilds have music channels. In that case, you need to like the music of the person selecting it, though.
    Same

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Same issue-

I dont mind voice chat, totally understand its need during raids/wars and even occasionally enjoy jumping in to just converse...However, many guilds these days have mandatory voice chat and they ignore the text chat and this doesnt work for me.

Lots of times I enjoy listening to audiobooks while playing, or chatting with the wife (who is amazing concerning my gaming addiction but doesnt want to be ignored allk the time in lieu of a guild on discord) 
    KyleranAlBQuirkyPhry
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I usually prefer to just text because I was worried about waking up my family as my game room is next to my 3 year olds room. 

But the more i think of it, the more I think I should just do it and not worry about waking up anyone. 

Oh well. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    edited December 2018
    Hi, 
    You are never alone I preached a sermon about this to prisoners.

SFR server, Fire guild, more than 400 members from all over the world all time zones all text wvw commands 95 percent of the time a PVX guild. Slow during na prime time.

Destiny 2 can also be played all text other than 2 raids. 
    KyleranUngood[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    GM: can you jump on Discord? We're talking strategy. 

Me: If I was cool with hearing another person's voice in my home at this hour then I would've gotten married. 

True story!
    CryomatrixUngoodOctagon7711[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I hate voice chat.. for the most part.

I mean sure, if you have a boner inspiring voice and can enunciate well, by all means, talk away in voice chat.

I am going to be honest, I don't care what someone's voice is like most of the time, squeaky or sexy, deep or shallow, husky or dalmatian, I am not at the least picky.

What drives me nuts however, is when I load up voice chat, I am bombasted by mumblers, people who just ramble on, people who talk like they mixed gasoline with their red-bull, heavy breathers who can't figure out how to use PTT, angry mom's yelling at their kids, people playing in an active house and there is a bunch of people talking in the background, this includes screaming kids the mom is yelling at.. and to be quite blunt, it's a chore to listen to that kind of thing.

First I will, I drone them out and literally stop paying attention to them, till I finally succumb and turn my sound off, because they are like the sound of flies just buzzing around my head in an annoying manner.

Just not my fair.. I mean.. I play a game to relax, unwind, take is easy, and have some fun, if I wanted to talk with the coworker that mumbles, or rambles, or all those other things.. I'd just put in more hours at work.. at least I know that if I am going to suffer this annoyance, I am getting paid for it.

Just my feels on the matter.. I am sure people are red rocket for voice chat.. but.. honestly.. much like writing, just because you can write, does not mean you are good at it.. same hold true for talking.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyCryomatrixPhry
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Maybe I'm lucky but the people that I regularly play with are all very courteous voice chat users. Once in a while you might hear a kid yell in the background but nothing obnoxious or vile. I can't imagine having to type out all of our communication, I would just stick to single player games if there wasn't Teamspeak. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I still don't know how some people can type and fight at the same time. 

It will be interesting to see what MMOs communications are like say, twenty years from today.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

It will be interesting to see what MMOs communications are like say, twenty years from today.  
    Out of body experiences. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I can't see how all of us forum-lurkers prefer text chat to voice...how could that be?

AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Double edged sword for me,typing is very cumbersome and tougher to convey thoughts but at the same time,i often don't like to hear chat because often people say dumb things and gets me miffed.Same reason i tend to not read world chat in games,there is usually nothing good there.
    Then when i think about it,99% of content in most rpg's is solo designed and even if in a group the content is so easy you don't need to say anything anyhow.

So the only time you need voice chat is for random conversation or those ugly,shallow dungeon runs.So i think to myself,ok we are about to embark on a 1 hour dungeon run of which 99% is navigating through trash mobs to get to some boss.
    Point being that 99.9% of your gaming voice chat is not needed,for random convos more so yeah.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

I thought I was the only one.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Dragnelus said:

I thought I was the only one.
    You are not alone...
    iRobot One of Us - Imgflip

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    Also, I loath l listening to most voice chats, people talking all over each other, extreme profanity, non game related conversations, personal issues, and "that guy" always telling everyone how drunk or high they are while failing miserably in game. (And chat)

Oh yes.. All this as well.. 

I mean, I don't know what it is, but in every guild I have been in, the Voice chat is filled with people that need to hear voice every second of their game time, related or not to what is going on.

NO.. NO.. NO.. I do not want to hear about the Tupperware you just bought while in the middle of a raid, if we have gotten to that point, when you can talk about stuff that is totally not game related while we are playing together, we really do not need voice chat.. not that I expect that little factoid to dawn on anyone that positively loves voice chat. 

Which is kinda funny, because some games have voice built in, and one of the best parts of playing Eternal Crusade, is that the game is so bad, that the only people still playing are Fanboi's of the IP, so.. lo and behold, these people are role paying in chat.. Like "Greetings Battle Brothers! We shall purge them!, My Loyal Bravo Squad, come to A and help me squash these xeno scum!"

And I love this.. I really wish every voice chat was like this!

But I cannot find that kind on voice involvement in ANY other game.

I have never witnessed this in any MMO, and NEVER seen anything close to this on discord where people are all just "Like you know, let me tell you about how my mom made we wash dishes and this girl at work....."
    AlBQuirkyPhry
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I almost exclusively play MMOs with the PC muted.

Frankly, I find a lot of the sound to be repetitive and annoying.  I guess this is a habit I picked up back in games like EQ -- ex. hearing that squeaky-grunt every time you hit a gnoll during combat drove me insane.

As for the background soundtrack/music... I have no real need for it.  The first thing I do in almost every game is turn the music sound way down and the dialogue/sound fx above the music.

So, as you can imagine, listening to a bunch of angry, immature fops rattling away in voice chat is at the bottom of my list.

I guess it helps that I can type really fast, as well.  I think there's a surprising lot of people on the internet that don't even know basic keyboarding.
    KylerancraftseekerPhry
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I mainly do text based chat unless we are doing a guild activity together like a castle siege. Then I will get into voice chat and most of the time I am just going to listen.

Sorry but I do not want to be in Discord hearing about your day at work or the wedding you have to go to next week. :/
    AlBQuirkyKyleranUngoodScotDibdabs

With today's action oriented combat, they can't. Back in the old school days of cool down rotations, easy as pie.
    KyleranOctagon7711cheyane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Lokero said:
    I think there's a surprising lot of people on the internet that don't even know basic keyboarding.
    WTF? LOL <3 >:)
    KyleranScotOctagon7711

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR