Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried tale in the desert yet?

Jeebus H Christmas! That's two hours I'll never get back!

Man I couldn't get this POS off my hard drive fast enough!

{edited to save some people conniption fits associated with brutal honesty}

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I absolutely love the game.

I've reevaluated my life in the 5 seconds it took me to respond to you and I've determined that I don't care what you think.

Have a nice day!

• Negative71Negative71 Member Posts: 162

Any more melodramatic and I'd recommend returning to Counter-Suck image

ATITD is alright.. but not for everyone. Because YOU don't like it, however, does not mean there's anything wrong with those who DO like it. Attitudes and statements like that amaze me in their short-sightedness.

-- Death to picture-sigs. --

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

well im glad you quit, with your attitude im sure you wouldnt have gotten along with thte people on it.

ATITD was an amazing mmorpg, I was a worldbuilder back in the dev phase, great communiy and great game, but people who want to play a quick action kill lotsa stuff mmorpg will hate it.

It requires a great amount of thinking and logic to be good at it

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• mastahmastah Member Posts: 39
    This game rocks! You on the other hand, have no skills. Good Bye. (AOL guy's voice)
  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

ATITD is a sims type rpg, definitly not a hack & slash nor DD type rpg. It was intended to provide an alternative to the current blood & gore mmo where players could develop various skills to advance their character and have pacifist fun. It does not need anywhere near cutting edge systems to play it, so is good for laptops (and mayby cell phones! [sarc off.])

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180
    Yep, ATITD is definitely my kind of game...which is quite the opposite of your average gamer.

• BlacksmithBlacksmith Member Posts: 55

Well I've certianly been put in my place...

Look If I wanted to learn how to make rope from grass, or make bricks from mud and stuff, I'd join one of those re-enactment groups. The whole time I was playing I could think only one thing "man the dev's of this game have found a sure-fire way to ensure people spend a LOT of time playing". Meaning that the longer people play, the more money the company gets.

It may have been better once you got off that little island (there were a whopping 2 people on it during the whole two hours and one 'helper' guy popped in for like 15 minutes and wasn't very helpful) but first impressions count for a lot. And for me it wasn't  a very good first impression.

If you guys want to say things like "you suck" hey that's cool, it's what the internet is for right? Insulting people from the safety of a screen. (and yes, I do realize I'm guilty of the same offence so don't bring that up) but why wasn't there some sort of warning? Something like "warning if you enjoy games like Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot, this game may not be for you".  And your right I don't like games like sims or worldbuilder and such, of course, I hated SWG too so I guess everyone's tastes are different.

We now take you back to regular programming...

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Blacksmith don't take it to hard. For what it's worth TTitD isn't a game I would enjoy. I have a saying "Why do want to pay a monthly to do something I could do in life for less, or get paid for".

I can go out in the yard and make bricks, or pots, or make a building. I can't slay a dragon.

Secondly the game attempts to remove conflict, the game itself if the antagonist. This is a model I would never enjoy. I like pvp, conflict and competition are the driving force behind innovation.  I enjoy rivalry.

ultimately though the MMORPG genre is the most diverse of any. In a FPS.. well the name says it all. RTS, once again you know what to expect. But in RPG's a world is created, just like in life what people want out of and to do in that world are very different.

-=-=-=-=-
    "elimination of any downtime and you don't have a chance to really talk. The result is no one gives a crap who you are. It's so incredibly anti-community building." - Brad McQuid (sigil games, maker of EQ)

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• BlacksmithBlacksmith Member Posts: 55

Clever,

I have to agree with everything you said except for one point. I don't believe that the game itself is the antagonist, time is. And I don't have 8 hours a day to devote to a game. I'm lucky to be able to play an hour or two a night (I don't watch much tv, this is my form of entertainment).

As you say, conflict and rivalry are the stuff of legends. I'd rather not get famous for my brickmaking or boatbuilding skills. Those are hindrances to a good game, not the path to it.

But hey, there are all kinds of games for all kinds of people. If TTitD is your bag, great, go for it. Just don't get all offended if someone doesn't like it or the genre...

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Blacksmith, your insult (which has been edited out in cowardly fashion) was directed at the players who enjoyed the game, not simply your opinion of the game.

I respect your right to have your own opinion about the game.  But the moment you smear me because I enjoy that game is the moment that you've crossed the line.  Treat differences of opinion with more respect and you'll get some respect in return.

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    a who cares already if ya dont like the blasted game get off the thread already i for one dont like it but im not gonna egg it on like you been doing the last couple of posts.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

exactly, i find its a fun game, you had to discover how to amke charcoal, and winemaking is crazy, as well as genetically breeding plants, thers a lot to do for people who prefer to think rather than kill, or for poeple who like both... like me. =p lol

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

I like games that take a lot of skill and thinking like ATITD, but it just got too boring for me. I guess I need that action and hack-and-slash style. I'd love a game that brings the two together.

K: 73% A: 60% S: 33% E: 33%
    Anything you hate will be the root of everything you breathe.
    Breathing in the dirt will leave you hating all that you conceive.
    I never thought I'd be the one to bring it down to this.
    My last thought is through a statement and a shattered fist.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, end this.
    Face down, fearless, light me up, END THIS!

-Machiavelli

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Rammur
    a who cares already if ya dont like the blasted game get off the thread already i for one dont like it but im not gonna egg it on like you been doing the last couple of posts.

Well technically the thread was made for people who don't like it...so why should they leave? :P

But yea, I don't know why making straw over and over again has any fun to it. Actually, it really doesn't. But the final result of making your first tent or something does.